Nieuw Amsterdam paintings by Stephen Card

Copper10-8

Nieuw Amsterdam IV, the second Signature-class vessel, sister to Eurodam and Holland America Line's fifteenth and newest vessel, will be named on 04 JUL 10 in the city of Venice, Italy.

Stephen Card embarked on a sea-going career in 1970 as a Navigating Cadet with Denholm Ship Management, Ltd. He remained with the Glasgow firm for eleven years, rising to the rank of Chief Officer. He then joined Uiterwyk Lines and was appointed Master. In 1982, he came ashore in Bermuda to take up an appointment as Queen's Harbor Master, but in 1984 decided to develop his lifelong interest in painting and drawing and become a full-time marine artist.

Captain Stephen Card's association with Holland America Line began in 1984 when Nico van der Vorm, then chairman of the line, commissioned him to do portraits of the Noordam (III) and Nieuw Amsterdam (III). Those two portraits launched Stephen's career as a full time painter. Since then he has painted the portraits of every new Holland America Line ship and many of its great liners from the past. On the current fourteen HAL ships, and soon to be on the fifteenth, his paintings can be found in their forward stairwells, spanning several decks.

Captain Card recently finished the portraits that will be displayed inside Nieuw Amsterdam IV. Here they are:

CopyofNieuwAmsterdamArt4NWA1HQ.jpg?t=1272257087

Nieuw Amsterdam I (1906-1932) First quadruple expansion engined Holland Amerika Lijn liner and last ship that could be fitted with emergency sails on her foremast.

CopyofNieuwAmsterdamArt3NIEUWAMSTER.jpg?t=1272257048

Nieuw Amsterdam II (1938-1974) The second largest liner ever built in the Netherlands and known as Holland's "Ship of State"

CopyofNieuwAmsterdamArt5NWA2GREYHQ.jpg?t=1272257129

Nieuw Amsterdam II (1938-1974) This time after having been repainted with a grey hull, gold sheer line, buff funnnels with the green, white, green bands (green-white-green being the official colors of the city of Rotterdam)

CopyofNieuwAmsterdamArt6NWAMDMIIIHQ.jpg?t=1272257921

Nieuw Amsterdam III (1983-2000) First new Holland America Line ship in a decade. She combined new and traditional features, including a two-story main show lounge and a walk-around open boat deck

CopyofNieuwAmsterdamArt8NWAMDMIVHQ.jpg?t=1272258113

Nieuw Amsterdam IV (2010-) Second Signature class vessel and sister of Eurodam. Shown departing Venice on her maiden voyage on 4 July 2010

CopyofNieuwAmsterdamArt2KINDERDYKHQ.jpg?t=1272254494

Kinderdyk (1956-1970) First of a new "K" class of freighters. She had accomodation for 12 Cabin Class passengers

The first HAL ship I was on was the Nieuw Amsterdam III. That was in November 1996 and she sailed out of New Orleans to the Western Caribbean. Now with the Enchanted Isle a peice of History, I wish HAL would put a ship into New Orleans to do the Western Caribbean during the Winter Season. I think one of the "S" or "R" class ships could do that run.

the paintings look great i did meet stephen once in london but cannot seem to write to him anymore. i was on the last NIEUW AMSTERDAM hong kong to japan. i hope to go to venice for the naming. not sure where they will be doing it where we will be able to see it and hopefully go on her next january

dave

Hi,

Thanks for posting these. I always enjoy his paintings on Holland America and Cunard ships. I have the Cunard and HAL books that feature his paintings. Also, I have five of his signed prints framed and hanging on my walls (Andrea Doria, QE2, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Prinsendam and Norway). I had the pleasure of meeting Stephen Card on the Pacific Princess on a cruise to Bermuda in 2002.

Chuck

Thanks, John, for posting these pix of Capt. Card's fabulous paintings.

We had the pleasure of meeting Capt. Card on Noordam's inaugural. He was just wonderful to chat with.

I miss his postings here on CC.

Archived