hump or no hump?

DCguys

I'm excited to say I'm on the verge of booking our first cruise: Solstice to Eastern Caribbean this fall. Now that we've chosen the cruise we'll have to choose our cabin. I'm looking at 2A category so that's Sunrise deck, mid ship. I can try for a hump room or for one on the corridor to the front of the hump. The angled hump rooms are another category so not an option.

Which would you recommend? Hump or no hump? :)

I'm excited to say I'm on the verge of booking our first cruise: Solstice to Eastern Caribbean this fall. Now that we've chosen the cruise we'll have to choose our cabin. I'm looking at 2A category so that's Sunrise deck, mid ship. I can try for a hump room or for one on the corridor to the front of the hump. The angled hump rooms are another category so not an option.

Which would you recommend? Hump or no hump? :)

Why not consider the angled hump rooms? On a 7 night cruise, they are typically only about $30 more per person. The interior of the rooms are the same, but the balconies on the angled portion of the hump range from nearly double to nearly triple the size of other balconies. Unless the 1A's are sold out, you will be gettign a MUCH larger balcony for a tiny bit more $$$. If there are none availalbe, then I would go with a hump room.

I noticed that all of the cabins on the hump (ex suites) are connecting cabins. Don't know why they did this, but my question is for people that have stayed in them. Can you hear the people in the next cabin through the connecting door? I would like a hump cabin but I am not a fan of those connecting doors.

I noticed that all of the cabins on the hump (ex suites) are connecting cabins. Don't know why they did this, but my question is for people that have stayed in them. Can you hear the people in the next cabin through the connecting door? I would like a hump cabin but I am not a fan of those connecting doors.

No, there is no connecting doors, per se, between the two cabins. There are doors that close out into the little alcove that you enter if you want connecting cabins. This has to be set up by your stateroom attendant.

So, don't worry -- there's no connection between the wall.

No, there is no connecting doors, per se, between the two cabins. There are doors that close out into the little alcove that you enter if you want connecting cabins. This has to be set up by your stateroom attendant.

Sounds like the hump is the way to go and thanks for the info about the connecting rooms. I was wondering the same thing.

we have been in front and behind the hump...but not "on" the hump...(is this just too weird to be talking about???) :p

Anyway have been in 8200 and 8260 and liked being in front rather than in the back....as the hump blocked any views to forward...and I missed that...on the other hand...the hump blocked the wind...so ..I think that is all I can add to this information....:rolleyes: LuAnn

I have rebooked my cruise after having to cancel the Equinox due to the problem with flights etc.

I am now booked on the Solstice . The booking is for 3 1A category as there was an over 55's rate.. My question is are all the angled balconies the same size of do they differ?

It is difficult for me to get an idea of the difference except that I have noted comments to this effect. Am I correct?

Sue

Thanks for the info. I guess I would have to see a picture to fully understand how the cabin connections works. On other cruise ships I have been on, the alcove has the bathroom on one side and the closet on the other, so I don't understand where the connecting doors would be located.

Planning to book the Silhouette out of NJ and the hump looks like the best location for a balcony cabin.

One more strong endosement of the hump. Were in cabin 8238 on the hump -- great location. Great views in both directions. Just be aware of the "X" -----

OK, I have to ask, how does being part of the "X" effect the cabin. Does 8238 have this "X" problem?

Thanks

Along the same lines, you may find some more useful info. in this thread entitled "hump downside" which I saved on my desktop (have a hump cabin on our next cruise!). When DH saw the shortcut he was like "what on earth is that" Obviously, he's not up on CC lingo!!:rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=954414&page=6#post24018018

The "X" is on both sides. I listed the "no X" cabins in my previous post, for the starboard side. If you have the deck plans, you can use my picture of the "X" on the port side too. The front of the ship is to the right of my starboard picture, but woudl be to the left of the equivalent port picture.

mac_tlc

Thanks for the info. I guess I would have to see a picture to fully understand how the cabin connections works. On other cruise ships I have been on, the alcove has the bathroom on one side and the closet on the other, so I don't understand where the connecting doors would be located.

Planning to book the Silhouette out of NJ and the hump looks like the best location for a balcony cabin.

The connecting doors are actually in the hallway -- difficult to explain -- but it almost creates a vestibule area at the entrance to the two connecting rooms. I do have some pictures that I can post later today that show how the doors work if the rooms are connecting and if they are not.

mac_tlc

My TA just emailed me and said that we (party of 2) can't have a hump room or any other that has the connecting doors or the square or triangle symbols. She says those are reserved for 3 or 4. Without any of those my options in the 2A category (solstice) are limited...

here is a link to a video showing the new connecting doors - while it doesn't show how they operate - you can see the 2 front doors, which are open and flush with the walls, when they close a vestibule is created and the 2 cabin doors can be left open

My TA just emailed me and said that we (party of 2) can't have a hump room or any other that has the connecting doors or the square or triangle symbols. She says those are reserved for 3 or 4. Without any of those my options in the 2A category (solstice) are limited...

I'd call Celebrity direct and book with them and bypass the TA. Tell them what stateroom you would like. See what happens.

That is ridiculous, never heard of that I think your TA is misinformed. I would call Celebrity directly.

here is a link to a video showing the new connecting doors - while it doesn't show how they operate - you can see the 2 front doors, which are open and flush with the walls, when they close a vestibule is created and the 2 cabin doors can be left open

Thanks, that answers that question. Yes, a video is worth a thousand words.

The connecting doors are actually in the hallway -- difficult to explain -- but it almost creates a vestibule area at the entrance to the two connecting rooms. I do have some pictures that I can post later today that show how the doors work if the rooms are connecting and if they are not.

mac_tlc

Thanks for your "hump" reports and pictures. We were very interested as we have the connecting cabin to yours, but on Eclipse next week. Looks as if we just miss the X on the balcony.

I'd call Celebrity direct and book with them and bypass the TA. Tell them what stateroom you would like. See what happens.

Assuming you have other benefits from using your TA, get on the phone with X. Then you can go back and forth until you get the cabin you want. I do understand the reasons for limiting the 3-4 occupancy cabins, as we always travel with our daughter. We usually have to wait for "revenue" to open up the cabins with 4-5 occupancy, which usually happens right after final payment is due.

Best course is to book the category you really want, select a cabin you can live with and then hope for an opportunity to change after they release the higher occupancy rooms. Just don't get in a situation where you are changing categories, as you may have to pay a cancellation and re booking fee or lose your pricing.

Good luck

Archived