Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

With the help of CC members I reached out to a few recommended taxi guides inquiring about a tour when we arrive on Wednesday Oct 10. Rather than go by ourselves we were wondering if anyone else would like to join us; or for that matter if someone already has a tour booked and wouldn't mind 2 extra people to help offset the cost we would be happy to join you. :D

i will be in bermuda in october on the explorer with my aunt and son, who is 13 with severe autism. i would like to take a tour of the island......what would be the best way to do so??? who would you reccomend?? im not sure if we could find more people to make it a larger group....

any help is helpful!! thanks

These questions should be posted to your respective roll calls. You have joined your roll call, haven't you?

SBtS

I just reserved Dennis Hollis for Sept 1. I emailed 3 of the names frequently posted here & Dennis got back to me within 24 hrs. He has been great about answering all my questions. I'll post back when we return.

Edited by workinmom3

Thanks LynneL....we're scheduled for our October stopover and its good to know he's as good as he sounded in his e-mails & the phone call I made to confirm. We have 6 so far, but I suspect it won't be a problem to get 8. We have a couple gentlemen who need to sit up front or in an aisle. He said the seating arranging was 4 rows of 3? How was the van with 8?

We actually had 10 in the van. Eight from our group & a nice couple that asked to join us. Very comfortable. Yes, 4 rows of 3. If I remember correctly, Rows 2 & 3 were two seats by one window, little aisle in the middle then a single seat by the window on the other side of van. This way those that sat all the way in the back didn't have a difficult time getting back here, as is sometimes the case with vans.

We actually had 10 in the van. Eight from our group & a nice couple that asked to join us. Very comfortable. Yes, 4 rows of 3. If I remember correctly, Rows 2 & 3 were two seats by one window, little aisle in the middle then a single seat by the window on the other side of van. This way those that sat all the way in the back didn't have a difficult time getting back here, as is sometimes the case with vans.

Thanks, LynneL....good to know. He asked us to reconfirm about 6 weeks out since I contacted him awhile ago.

We reserved with Duke Soares for our upcoming cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas. Since we will be in port on the weekend his son will be our tour guide since Duke does not do tours on weekends. His son comes highly recommended too.

Edited by JACH77

Just got back from Bermuda, had an excellent tour with Dennis Hollis, really nice guy, explained the history well, new minivan with good AC, $40/hr for two adults and a baby.

Could you please post his contact information?

Were you the only ones in his van and about how many hours did you book him for or WISH you'd booked him for? Any particularly high/low lights of his tour in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Just got back from Bermuda, had an excellent tour with Dennis Hollis, really nice guy, explained the history well, new minivan with good AC, $40/hr for two adults and a baby.

So great to hear as we have him booked for 9/1. I emailed 3 guides & he responded within 24 hrs. That was over a week ago. In fact, I still haven't gotten a response from the others. His email is: dwhollis@logic.bm.

• 4 weeks later...

TAXI01.jpg

TAXI02.jpg

We just retured from Bermuda on the NCL Dawn. During our trip, we booked a 5 hours tour with Dennis. Just the wife and I.

• We toured the entire island in 5 hours. Plenty of time to stop and take pictures and shop.
  • We feel that we saw everything. Plenty to see on the island.
  • Visited St. George and Hamilton.
  • The beaches on the way home.
  • All the normal tourist sites.
  • The van had great Air and we needed it.
  • Dennis is a local so it takes a moment to get used to his speach pattern.
  • Great knowledge of the island and he talked for most of the five hours.
  • Van could hold up to seven people. Seat belts worked.
  • Wife handles the email and bookings.
  • Our tour went over the five hour mark by 45 minutes and we were not charged extra.
  • We gave Dennis a $40 tip because we enjoyed spending the day with him so much.
  • Dennis drives on the slow side. With the narrow streets and crazy people on scooters, we welcomed his slower pace.
  • If we ever return to Bermuda, we will book another tour with Dennis. What a great guide.

Arriving in Bermuda on this Wednesday! Have two (2) days booked with Colin Jennings. Will report back with Hurricane Leslie damage (if any) as well as Colin Jennings updates. Weather this week looks great! The calm AFTER the storm. Hope to get some great sea glass and who knows what else might wash up!

Chat with you after the 16th! - Miriam

http://www.bermudafootsteps.com/

booked online a 6 hr tour for our group of 4, Heidi had 2 others from the NCL ship join in. We had time to visit all of the island from the dock yard to St George. Heidi was waiting at the ship with a sign with our name on it. She also brings along her sweet dog Buddy (blind) to share in the day. Climbed the lighthouse, saw the rough surf rolling in from the approaching storm, lots of history and little back roads with delightful homes of all the pastel colors. The day flew by. We had a yummy picnic lunch at Flatts Village, She dropped us off in Hamilton on request where we took a trip up Front Street, grabbed a beer at the Pickled Onion then took the Ferry back to Dockyard.

It was a great day in Bermuda, lots of good memories and for us well worth the $75pp cost.

check out the other reviews on trip advisor.

hey all,

Just got back from a shortened 2 days in Bermuda,

We had Dukes booked for our first morning there, he was great, he knows a lot or invents it as it comes ;)

He respected exactly what we asked for and the time frame we gave him.

Funny, nice, polite, clean van, etc....

Would recommend all the way !

Thank you Duke

Another vote for Dennis Hollis! We toured with him on Sept 1. We had a full day & Dennis was very accommodating. I agree that his accent is a little difficult to understand at 1st but we got used to it. Dennis had planned to take us to At George but since we had lunch at the Swizzle Inn & toured the Crystal Caves, we ran out of time. We were closer to 6 hrs but Dennis only charged us for 5! He knows everyone on the island & seems to be related as well.

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from Bermuda and used David Fox for a private tour of the island. He was born and raised here so called himself a "Bermuda Onion" and was a delightful tour guide. He showed us many unique parts of the island, feeding the fish, seeing the sea turtes, the dunking of the wench in St. George, moongates, Gibbs Lighthouse, lots of beautiful houses and beaches, and many other things that I won't list. He has a great sense of humor and took us to see whatever we wished. I would definitely recommend him for a private tour guide in Bermuda, especially if it is your first time.

His email is thefox@logic.bm so please feel free to contact him for a great day in Bermuda!

Lisa, Tony, Brianne and Karen

Glad you found David Fox. He is a neighbor of a family friend in Bermuda whom we contacted when we were there in the spring. Since he's pretty new to the Cruise Critic users, sometimes he has availability on a shorter notice. We enjoyed his local knowledge as well!

We just got back from a Bermuda cruise on the Dawn (out of Boston) --- we had a tour with Duke - he was wonderful, knows a lot of history about the island and the US .. Worth every penny - he is a lovely man. Jan

Great news as we booked Duke for Nov.14th while we are on the Grand Princess Transatlantic cruise. Did you stop for lunch? Did he pick you up and drop you off at the ship or did you take the ferry?

He picked us up at 9:00 and we toured all around and ended up in Hamilton (5 hours) - we decided to spend extra time there after our tour - had lunch and took the ferry back.

He is very willing to do whatever as it was "our tour" -- what ever we wanted. It was wonderful!. Jan

He picked us up at 9:00 and we toured all around and ended up in Hamilton (5 hours) - we decided to spend extra time there after our tour - had lunch and took the ferry back.

He is very willing to do whatever as it was "our tour" -- what ever we wanted. It was wonderful!. Jan

Thanks so much for the info. Your tour sounds lovely and we are excited to be touring with Duke too.

What an excellent tour experience we had with Ralph, and Winsome Transport. Despite the vagaries of schedule, caused by September’s hurricane Leslie, Ralph patrolled the cruise docks and met us at a logical time, the day we arrived. My family of four, including two large adults and two teenage daughters, were treated to a comfortable, five hour tour, of the beautiful island of Bermuda, from one end to the other.

But it went way beyond that! Not only did we hit the normal tourist highlights, which were awesome, we also saw the real island, and learned a lot about the culture, government, and way of life, from someone who truly loves his island. His non-stop narrative was filled with colorful stories and personal history, which made us really appreciate what it was like to be born and raised on this beautiful paradise. Then he pointed us to the perfect local beach, which we had to ourselves the next day, and where we completely enjoyed a couple of hours of fine snorkeling, away from the crowds and hubbub of the cruise ship.

I had written to Ralph, via email, a few times before our trip, with various requests, and he went way out of his way to fulfill them all. It really made for a special tour. He also threw in some special surprises of his own, like my participation in the dunking re-enactment at old St George’s, which added special memories for my family and myself. I hope we get a chance to visit Bermuda again and reconnect with Ralph, meet his wife Julie, and engage the services of Winsome Transport.