Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

A Transportation Pass gives you an unlimited number of journeys for all Zones, and are honored on all buses and ferries. A one day pass is $12 per adult.

No wet clothing, no bathing suits, proper attire only.

http://www.bermuda-online.org/getround.htm

The price of the transportation passes is increasing 25% this season. One day pass will be $15, two day will be $25, three day $35.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Mr. Fox booked for mid-June and he told me he can take up to six so I surmise his vehicle must be what we'd call here at home a "mini-van". I can't imagine that it could be a sedan with that much seating.

Janet

I have Mr. Fox booked for mid-June and he told me he can take up to six so I surmise his vehicle must be what we'd call here at home a "mini-van". I can't imagine that it could be a sedan with that much seating.

Janet

Thanks for the reply - I have heard so many good things about him that we may just book with him anyway

I emailed Colin Jennings a week ago, twice in the last week actually, and have heard nothing back. Has anyone booked with him recently?

Wondering if I should continue to wait or should I move onto someone else?

This is the time of year that Colin uses for his own family's vacation. As this is not cruise season in Bermuda, and not a high volume air/land vacation time in Bermuda, he and his family (wife, children and grandchildren) might be visiting family and friends, or other islands/countries. His daughter, who has a regular full-time job, and a family, tries to answer all his emails for him, as soon as possible, so please bear with them and give them a little more time at this time of year to get back to you. He really is worth it! This year will be my 5th or 6th time with him and I will not be disappointed! We are taking friends with us for their VERY FIRST CRUISE EVER (YIKES!!!!) so Colin will have to start from the very beginning with his "Intro to Bermuda" tour!!!! They will love it!!! And even after all this time, so will I!!!

Hope this helps!! - Miriam

This is a duplicate of an earlier post that I wrote about Colin.

- Miriam

I did see that post but since it was written on Feb. 4th I thought since a month and a half had gone by it would be fair to think that he was back from vacation by now.

Since he has received such good reviews I will wait and hope that he responds soon.

Thanks

I think I read that Duke is ill and isn't doing tours anymore

You are right, here is what member Colonel(Ret.)Wes posted on 1/13:

FYI, one of this board's highly recommended/favorite Bermuda private guides--Duke Soare's wife asked me to post this on Cruise Critic:

Unfortunately due to medical reasons Duke will no longer be able to do Taxi Tours. I wonder if you could possibly assist me by posting on Cruise Critic that this is the case,we get so many people from recommendations on Cruise critic and I don't know how to advise that he is unwell and cannot do any more tours. I don't know who to suggest as I am not sure what taxis does the same type of tours that Duke did,

So sorry

Kind regards

Sandra ( duke's Wife)

SBtS

Well, as luck would have it, he actually got back to me tonight.

My next question is, he quoted me at $60/hr. there are 5 of us that will be on the tour. Is this rate more than the government allowed rate?

It turns me off if he is charging more then the allowed rate. Where can I find the Government allowed rate?

My next question is, he quoted me at $60/hr. there are 5 of us that will be on the tour. Is this rate more than the government allowed rate?

It turns me off if he is charging more then the allowed rate. Where can I find the Government allowed rate?

That does sound pretty high. I booked a tour with David Fox in June, and he is charging us $40/hr. There's 3 of us and that's for a 5-6 hour tour. His email is thefox at logic dot bm. He responded to my emails the same day.

That does sound pretty high. I booked a tour with David Fox in June, and he is charging us $40/hr. There's 3 of us and that's for a 5-6 hour tour. His email is thefox at logic dot bm. He responded to my emails the same day.

The official rates (last I checked) are $40 per hour for up to 4 passengers in the vehicle and $55.50 per hour if there are 5-6 passengers in the vehicle. All taxi fares in Bermuda, including normal metered fares, are higher if you have 5 or 6 passengers in the car.

To all new readers and future Bermuda visitors,

Since you don't know him, and I do, I will assure you and all other readers here, that Colin is, a fair, decent, honest, dependable, reliable and humble man who will NOT take advantage of you. He will not expect a tip, will not hint for one, will watch over your belongings while you shop, take photos, sightsee, swim, snorkel, climb to the top of Gibb's Hill Lighthouse etc., offer to take your picture whenever you stop at a photo opportunity location, etc. He even brings bread from his own home for you to feed the fish at one of your stops.

I'm sure all of the guides that are mentioned here are of the same fine moral caliber or they wouldn't be so well thought of and recommended here.

(I realize that you don't know me either, but look back on this thread and you will see that many others posters have also used Colin, and have given high praise as well).

- Just setting the record VERY straight - Miriam

That's all I needed to hear Miriam, I didn't realize the government rate was $55.50 for 5-6 people... Then that is absolutely a fair price that he quoted me.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

That's all I needed to hear Miriam, I didn't realize the government rate was $55.50 for 5-6 people... Then that is absolutely a fair price that he quoted me.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Since the government sets the rate at $55.50, I'm not sure I would agree that $60 is a fair price. In fact it's a violation of the taxi fare rules.

Holy moly, I had a brain fart or something... for some reason my mind was thinking "It's only 50 cents an hour" and not $4.50 cents. That adds up quick, especially when you have to times it by 5 people per hour...... Glad you said something because I don't know where my head was. LOL

Too much planning with this cruise I guess, my mind is all over the place. I just emailed him and asked him why he's charging $60 when the rate is $55.50.

Thank you.

You're absolutely right, it is your money. But from a strictly mathematically point of view - $ 4.50 an hour x 4 hours = $ 18.00 more. Then, $ 18.00 divided by 5 people means that each person pays an additional $ 3.60 more for the entire 4 hours. That's about a $0.015 a second.

Sometimes I just shake my head -

Ok, I'm just going to shut up now because I think I've seriously lost it!! You don't want to know what I was thinking and how I was calculating...

I have read so many threads in the last few months they are all starting to roll into each other. I've read where some prices have been discussed as $40/hr for 4 people or $50+/hr for 5-6 people, etc. etc. and i've read other threads where they've been discussed as $10/person per hour etc.

Well, I think you can see where I was going... $55.50 - $60/hour for 5-6 people, so when I calculated the $4.50 difference I calculated it as $4.50 per person per hour extra.... Oh God!!!

Ok, I'll just shut up now before I screw something else up. Maybe it's time I let one of the other 4 girls start taking on some of the planning... That's what I get for having to be in control!!! hee hee!!! :o

Can't say I've ever heard of that, Kelli, but then I don't claim to be an all-Bermuda expert either.

BUT, I can tell you that within the last month I did book a tour for this summer with Mr. Fox and there was no surcharge mentioned, and also arranged for other transportation needs with a different company for our other 2 days and there was no mention of a surcharge either.

We have a group of 10 sailing on NCL Breakaway to Bermuda in June and were thinking about doing a tour together. Do any of the private tour guides have 12 passenger vans? Any thoughts what their hourly charge would be for 10 people? One of our party has mobility issues so this is the best option for an excursion that we can all do together. Would appreciate any ideas.

Try Winsome Transport. He's got a 15 passenger mini-bus. For a tour of that size group you can figure about $10 per person per hour.

Janet

Thanks! They seem to get good reviews on Tripadvisor...

from reading through this thread I picked out 3 companies/individuals and emailed them yesterday with a request for a private tour for 3 in August

within an hour I had a reply from David fox and in fact we had several emails back and forth within the next hour as a question and answer session

he quoted $40 per hour and suggested a 5-6 hour tour

Today I got a reply from Kreativeresponse who suggested 3 possible tours of 4 hour duration.The normal rate is $55 per hour but offered a discounted pre arranged rate for 4 people at total $175.However with 4 that would still be more than David fox and with 3 considerably more. They also required a credit card to reserve and wanted to speak on the phone to confirm details-as we live in the UK that would be expensive!

to date no response from Colin Jennings

so I have booked with David Fox-he doesn't request a deposit and says he will be waiting on the pier with a sign with my name on

I will report back after our tour but thought would share my experience so far with 3 recommended tour guides on this thread