All Things Splendor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We'll be on the Splendor the week of Aug 12, 2012. I was just wondering if they have clamshells for 2 on the Serenity Deck like they have on the Dream.

Also, I have a new iphone and still learning things. While cruising I want to be able to listen to my music, update calendar, things that don't require internet access or cost money. do i have to change settings, etc. to make this happen?

As for any games that I accidently play will i be charged the expensive connection fees? And about email, voice messages, texts even though I don't read, receive, but receiving them, am I charged for those?

Or do I have to power down the whole thing?

Hi,

We'll be on the Splendor the week of Aug 12, 2012. I was just wondering if they have clamshells for 2 on the Serenity Deck like they have on the Dream.

Also, I have a new iphone and still learning things. While cruising I want to be able to listen to my music, update calendar, things that don't require internet access or cost money. do i have to change settings, etc. to make this happen?

As for any games that I accidently play will i be charged the expensive connection fees? And about email, voice messages, texts even though I don't read, receive, but receiving them, am I charged for those?

Or do I have to power down the whole thing?

Here is a easy way to see if you can do what you want to do on you iphone. If you can do it in airplane mode the you can do it on the ship at no cost.

Just off last weeks cruise and no clam shells or hammocks.

Hi,

18 or 19 of us for August 12. Not much happening on our roll call so I thought I would ask here.

1. is there an elevator up the minature golf area? we have someone in a power chair that would love to play golf if he can get up there.

2. are there clamshells or hamocks in the serenity deck? we were on the dream in 3/2012 and there were. just wondering about the splendor.

3. also the serentiy deck bar had box lunches you could pick up instead of going to the buffet. is this offered as well?

Just off last weeks cruise and no clam shells or hammocks.

Yes, I think you can get something like salad at the bar.

No, I don't think that you can get all the way up to put put without taking one flight of stairs.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one for all you Splendor veterans: What's the best time to get to the pier if the main criteria is a short wait?

All things being equal, I'd like to eat lunch aboard, but if the shortest wait is to arrive at 3 or something, we could consider that.

I suppose ideal would be if an 11 a.m. arrival produced a short wait.

Anybody know? Thanks.

Jim

Hi,

Not really a question about the ship, but was wondering if any of the zip lining companies in puerto are accomodating to special needs folks. I have a nephew who has CP and does use a walker will be able to join us if we decided to go or what other things do they offer for him to do. He has done the 'swimming with dolphins' already. Want to do this in Puerto as he might not be able to get off the ship due to tendering in Cabo.

Hi,

Not really a question about the ship, but was wondering if any of the zip lining companies in puerto are accomodating to special needs folks. I have a nephew who has CP and does use a walker will be able to join us if we decided to go or what other things do they offer for him to do. He has done the 'swimming with dolphins' already. Want to do this in Puerto as he might not be able to get off the ship due to tendering in Cabo.

Might be a question to ask John Heald on his Facebook page. He could check with the shore excursion folks and see if they could accomodate him on the tour.

Here's one for all you Splendor veterans: What's the best time to get to the pier if the main criteria is a short wait?

All things being equal, I'd like to eat lunch aboard, but if the shortest wait is to arrive at 3 or something, we could consider that.

I suppose ideal would be if an 11 a.m. arrival produced a short wait.

Anybody know? Thanks.

Jim

We were on the Splendor 10-17 JUne,We left The Hotel Maya at 10 am in their shuttle checked our bags showed our passports got our bording sector and S&S card and was eating in the buffet by just after 11.30.

It is all orderly and quick with the photo people holding up guests for the longest time as the photo area before you go upstairs or elevator bottle necks and causes queues

avoid the photos and its a breeze to board.

There was only enough time to look at the small market stalls take a few pics and use the bathroom and we were onboard.

There were no lines at the buffet and tables available everywhere,the rottiserie(sp) upstairs to the buffet was closed until around 2.30pm

Splendor was the easiest most organized embarkation i have ever experienced and I had to do extra checks because I was from overseas.

I have a sneaky suspision that those trying or demanding to board quicker than others are in actual fact the ones held up the longest:D The people working port side do this job every few days and know how it works;)

Den

Den, thanks for the info. Sounds like early is the way to go. We cruised out of Long Beach on 2007 and again in 2010 and both times it seemed crowded and slow and I'm not really sure what time it was. Maybe they've streamlined the system some.

Too bad about the Rotisserie being closed. That was my plan A, since I assumed the main buffet would be a free-for-all grabfest. Apparently if you get in early enough it's pretty civil, huh?

Jim

Den, thanks for the info. Sounds like early is the way to go. We cruised out of Long Beach on 2007 and again in 2010 and both times it seemed crowded and slow and I'm not really sure what time it was. Maybe they've streamlined the system some.

Too bad about the Rotisserie being closed. That was my plan A, since I assumed the main buffet would be a free-for-all grabfest. Apparently if you get in early enough it's pretty civil, huh?

Jim

The buffet area started to get more crowded after 1pm but the tables just outside at the rear were all free and not a sole at the tandor or sandwich bar.

We went straight for the Tandor as soon as we realized the upstairs was closed but the crowds were never that big in the buffet the entire 8 days.

The Burrito bar and Mongolian wok were always the busiest so much so we never got to try the wok because we couldnt be bothered to stand in line.

Quite often I only wanted one item from the buffet so i used to walk up and get it,many people queuing for a scoop of everything that was on offer were upset and said I jumped the line? If you only want one item why stand in line for 20 mins just to get to that one item? lol

Didnt rate the dinning room lunch or breakfast for the first time ever on a cruise and stuck mostly to rear buffet. The only difference between Buffet breakfast and seated breakfast was the availability of eggs the way you wanted or said you wanted but didnt necessarily get lol,everything else was from the buffet or identical to the buffet food.

This is not a gripe but it did free up time from getting dressed and visiting the dinning room more than once a day.

We missed dinner one night and fell asleep,the only thing available was pizza later on,I waited a long time for a goat cheese and mushroom which was really small but tasty,the rest of the pizzas were basically supermarket frozen type and by the slice,i didnt miss dinner again lol.

The Tandor become more popular as the cruise went on with quite a few ships staff and officers always getting it for lunch.

The deli was also never that busy and you could always just walk up and order a sandwich,they were quite tasty and a good break when you are Buffet fooded out.

Den

Cabin 8450 extended rear balcony is well worth getting on The splendor.

The balcony is a lot bigger than the other rear balconies and the cabin is also larger inside.there are only 2 balconies of this size one port one starboard and cost no extra.

The overhang from the Lido deck above was a god send and allowed more time to be spent on the balcony because of the shade,friends in the same cabin below on Empress could not use the balcony as much because of the constant sun during the day making it way too hot.

We got to know our neighbors in the Wrap around next door but they couldnt use their balcony as much as us because they had no shade.

A couple of times we heard staff moving the loungers above but it was always for a short time,we heard no other noise except the wash and props and nothing from above could get onto our balcony because of the overhang:)

Den

:DHello I’m thinking of booking on the carnival spender out of new York may 2013[we just went on the princess which I loved they had the sanctuary the adult section which was 20dollars a day loved it] anyone know about the sap package I see you can buy a package for 250 but can anyone help me and tell me what does that get you is it just adults is the a swimming near I see the mineral pool is there like an adult section were we can spend most of the day and is there an outside section ;and how are the other pools we have grandkids and love kids but we like to relax to so I feel before schools out in may there will not been as may kids thanks for anyone’s help

:DHello I’m thinking of booking on the carnival spender out of new York may 2013[we just went on the princess which I loved they had the sanctuary the adult section which was 20dollars a day loved it] anyone know about the sap package I see you can buy a package for 250 but can anyone help me and tell me what does that get you is it just adults is the a swimming near I see the mineral pool is there like an adult section were we can spend most of the day and is there an outside section ;and how are the other pools we have grandkids and love kids but we like to relax to so I feel before schools out in may there will not been as may kids thanks for anyone’s help

No need to go to a spa suite or serenity area to get away from kids,the whole rear lido section is basically for adults only,the kids stay mainly around the main lido pool where all the child activities,burgers,fries,pizza ,ice cream are.

The rear liner adults only pool area can get a tad noisy but only when the band is playing,there was a good mix of all adult ages young to very old at the rear liner pool

area some partying a bit but many just relaxing with a book and drink.

Kids are allowed in this area but not in the pool or spas but they seemed to stay away as there is nothing there for them to keep them interested.

We stuck to the rear decks and encountered no kids at all in June,i dont think they can make it past the first buffet if they were heading that way anyhow lol.

Den

We loved the Spa when we were on the Splendor in April, and it does cost $250 per couple as you say. The spa on the Spendor is one of the most fantastic things about the ship and not to be missed! I highly recommend booking a spa cabin which will include use of the spa plus more. It costs less than a regular cabin plus the $250 fee for spa access.

• 2 weeks later...
Dry dock has been cancelled for 2012.

Hi Mulege,

You stated that in another post. The cancellation of the 2012 dry dock is indeed a rumor.

There is a gap in her itinerary from Oct 28- Nov 4..

Also, I wrote to John Heald at Carnival and was informed that the Splendor will most certainly

still have a dry dock & receive the 2.0 upgrades.

The dry dock definitely has not been cancelled. Please tell us where you are getting this

information, because it is not listed anywhere, other than you.

:)

Edited by ObstructedView2