All Things Splendor

I am confused by this post. Are you saying the Tasting bar replaced the drink of the day? I don't get that. While not a big drinker so it wouldn't affect me, but I can't imagine a Carnival ship without the Drink of the day. Menu change? Where can I find the new mwnu? A change from all the other ships? Sorry but I am curious and just want clarification. I am sailing her in June and just finding out about the new things.

Thanks, Barbara

Punchliners Comedy Club

MDR Comedy Brunch on Sea Days

Change in menus

Tastings Bar (replaced sushi bar) and drink of the day

There were more, but that's all I'm coming up with now.

MARAPRINCE

NO DOD??? NO sushi??? OH NO! I am not a happy camper!

:mad:

I am confused by this post. Are you saying the Tasting bar replaced the drink of the day? I don't get that. While not a big drinker so it wouldn't affect me, but I can't imagine a Carnival ship without the Drink of the day. Menu change? Where can I find the new mwnu? A change from all the other ships? Sorry but I am curious and just want clarification. I am sailing her in June and just finding out about the new things.

Thanks, Barbara

I don't think they converted the sushi bar to the Tastings bar on the Splendor yet. So no worries. However, on the ships where the Tastings bar has been switched, you can still get sushi at the Lido buffet.

I'm not sure what the other poster meant about the tastings bar replacing the drink of the day. But I think the Tastings bar has a recommended drink that you can purchase that goes with what they are serving that day. So maybe the poster meant that???

Maggie

thanks for all the feedback regarding the changes and 2.0 upgrades to the splendor. just booked out of nyc in may with my husband and both sets of parents - looking forward to it!

We are sailing 5/9/13. What date are you going?

Thanks, Barbara

No, the tasting bar just offers a "taste", like a morsel, of something. For example, I think the lst day is something from the steak house. I know the day I did it, it was a meatball from Cuccina (??) I believe it is a taste of dishes offered from various venues on CCL ships. I might be wrong, but it's something like that! Then they have a "wine cart" there and they have wine that you could pair with the certain dishes. Truth be told, I just wanted a taste of the meatball :eek: They still offer the DOD. No way they would cut that! I think the new menu is a few new offerings. Like the "didja." It's "didja ever try this" type of thing. Like one night it was frog's legs and believe it or not, the coveted escargot was another night. Then they have a "comfort menu" and then things offered every day. Different sides and such. I am making it more confusing than it is! Sounds like they give you a menu as big as a novel, but not so. One thing they don't list is the mac and cheese side dish. I found out from the good people here you can order that every night, even tho it's not on the menu and boy, is that good stuff! ;) The last night (of our 8 night Miracle cruise) they offered the mac and cheese with bacon and chix breast.

Taste bar is only on sea days and it opens at 5:30. They have a list of what they are serving each day there so you know if you want to go back. Have a great cruise and sorry I made something that is so simple so complicated! :rolleyes::o BTW, the Taste Bar is where sushi used to be, but I think they do still offer that. But I don't eat it, so you'll have to ask someone else about that!:p

Thank you Karen. I have had the DIJA menu as we did a b2b on the Fascination in Oct. I honestly never got any of those things but my husband had the alligator. My husband really liked the frog legs as well. I am not a mac and cheese person so did not try that. I think the tasting bar sounds like fun. We have 5 sea days on this Splendor cruise and 10 on our Miracle cruise so guess I will get a lot of tasting in.

Thank you for helping me understand.

You will be on the Splendor about 3 weeks before us so I will look for a review if you post one.

Barbara

Does anyone know if you can order room service from the tv in your cabin? Also, I am starting to get scared about getting around the ship. We usually cruise Spirit class and it is so easy to get from point a to point b. We have ATD so I assume we will be in Black Pearl restaurant. How do I get there from aft port side cabin??? :confused::confused:Any tips on this? I remember being on the Dream and we were lost 1/2 the time! :o:o:(

THANKS! Been waiting for a ship I could do that on! ;)

Yes, ordering room service from the TV is truly the cat's meow. "I'll take one of these, one of those, one of that, two of the other...what the heck, because I CAN!"

You will love the Splendor, I predict. She is a beautiful ship with plenty of fantastic features. Enjoy!

What are you thoughts on Splendor as a 1st cruise on Carnival? Would be family of 4, 2 adults with boys 15,17.

We have been on NCL Dawn once (it was nice, and we became hooked on cruising after this cruise, though not necessarily because of the ship, I think Bermuda had a lot to do with it) and RCCL Oasis and Explorer, LOVED both.

Would like to try other lines and like the convenience of sailing out of NY.

What are you thoughts on Splendor as a 1st cruise on Carnival? Would be family of 4, 2 adults with boys 15,17.

We have been on NCL Dawn once (it was nice, and we became hooked on cruising after this cruise, though not necessarily because of the ship, I think Bermuda had a lot to do with it) and RCCL Oasis and Explorer, LOVED both.

Would like to try other lines and like the convenience of sailing out of NY.

I think you we really like Carnival. Spendor will be our 15th cruise. Nine with RCCL, 1 NCL (Dawn) and 5 with CCL. We really like the bang for the buck you get with Carnival. RCCL gives you all kind of crazy things to do on the ship, but that's not what I am looking for and even if you don't ice skate, roller blade, rock climb etc, you're paying for that in your fare.

We did not like NCL at all. We felt they made the MDR food and service so bad it forced you to go to the upcharge restaurants. I did not like the free style cruising concept at all. The entertainment on NCL was fabulous though. The only reason we went on Dawn was for Bermuda. They were the only line affordably offering 7 nights to Bermuda. I've been there 6 times and its my favorite island.

Carnival gives you great destination, service and food for a reasonable price.

Thanks to everyone who posted about the Sushi and the DOD! I MUST have my Funship Special and I like to try some of the other ones too!

When we did the same itin on the Miracle in 2011, we couldn't pick up the wifi in our cabin. Each sea day we would head down to that nice seating area outside of the Sports bar - that'swhere the sushi cart is for those sailing on the Miracle. I would get some sushi and a nice glass of wine and upload pics to post on Facebook and make my land bound friends jealous! My DH would people watch or just wave watch. The chairs there are quite comfy and it made a nice prelude to dinner.

I was hoping to do something similar on the Splendor on our June cruise.

We booked this cruise back in Sept so we could get an aft wrap. We don't usually book that early. It has seemed so far off, but now we are down to double digits at last. I keep looking at the Splendor deck plans so I can get the layout down in my head!

Look out Splendor - the Dawson sisters are cruising with Jolly Roger again!

I am so looking forward to our Splendor cruise. I am especially looking forward to sailing away from NYC as it has been described so wonderfully by Cyber-Kat.

I have been checking fares and our room has gone up by 1100.00. This is the most I have ever seen a fare climb since I started cruising over 25 years ago. I kept thinking I had inputed something wrong but have checked several times.

I am so looking forward to our Splendor cruise. I am especially looking forward to sailing away from NYC as it has been described so wonderfully by Cyber-Kat.

I have been checking fares and our room has gone up by 1100.00. This is the most I have ever seen a fare climb since I started cruising over 25 years ago. I kept thinking I had inputed something wrong but have checked several times.

Yes - rooms that should be cheaper than ours are more than we paid when we booked ES last Sept. I wonder if it's because the ship is new to the area and they think it will be fully booked. There were still rooms available when I did a mock booking this am.

Can anyone who has been on the Splendor recently tell me what they are using the Robusto cigar bar for now that you can't smoke cigars in it. Is it just a lounge? Do they have music? It looks really nice from the pics.

Also is the wine bar still a wine bar? My DS(sis), DH and I love wine. There was a wine bar on the Victory and we loved sitting there with a nice glass of wine in the afternoons.

One more! Does the Splendor have the Pasta Bar I saw on the Carnival web site ... or the Fish and Chips (I guess that's two questions! :) )

Thanks to everyone who posted about the Sushi and the DOD! I MUST have my Funship Special and I like to try some of the other ones too!

When we did the same itin on the Miracle in 2011, we couldn't pick up the wifi in our cabin. Each sea day we would head down to that nice seating area outside of the Sports bar - that'swhere the sushi cart is for those sailing on the Miracle. I would get some sushi and a nice glass of wine and upload pics to post on Facebook and make my land bound friends jealous! My DH would people watch or just wave watch. The chairs there are quite comfy and it made a nice prelude to dinner.

I was hoping to do something similar on the Splendor on our June cruise.

We booked this cruise back in Sept so we could get an aft wrap. We don't usually book that early. It has seemed so far off, but now we are down to double digits at last. I keep looking at the Splendor deck plans so I can get the layout down in my head!

Look out Splendor - the Dawson sisters are cruising with Jolly Roger again!

Just to let anyone who is sailing on the Miracle know...we sailed her ONE LAST TIME :( on 2/10 before she is moved to the west coast. Those comfy seats are still there, but the sushi bar is now the Taste Bar. There are different selections on sea days. On port days there is nothing! :confused: I am starting to study Splendor's deck plans also. Spirit class has us very spoiled! We are in an L shaped cabin on deck 8. Has anyone else had one? I am also planning to book a cruise for next winter on Splendor and wondering if I should book another L shaped or go with a regular balcony cabin. I know the balconies are larger, but sailing in the winter it doesn't make much difference. I just don't want to be bumping into each other and/or the furniture in an L shaper! :eek:

I'm not sure when the Splendor will arrive in NYC, but there is a NYC harbor cam for those you wish to see her sail into NY for the first time. Here is the URL for the NYC harbor web cam - http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/ They have other harbor web cams as well. So if your ship leaves from other places, you can watch there too.

Have any of you stayed in the Upper deck (6) aft wraps? There is an awesome video on YouTube of 6485, but what I'm wondering is ... is there any shade at all, or is it all sun all the time on sunny days?

We have this room booked for the June 10th cruise and we hope to spend a lot of time in those lounge chairs, but I was hoping that there is a little shade as the sun moves around (yes, I know it's the earth that moves :D). June is early and we will have no base tan to help keep us from burning. I do plan to bring a ton of high number sun screen and a large hat! Speaking of the hat - how windy is it on the aft section?

I've heard there is noise from the lounge below, but I bring ear plugs so that's not an issue for me.

Oh and do you know if they assign dining rooms by cabin location. Much as I'd love to eat in the Black Pearl for Pirates of the Caribbean reasons :) - the Golden Pearl would work out better for us.

Have any of you stayed in the Upper deck (6) aft wraps? There is an awesome video on YouTube of 6485, but what I'm wondering is ... is there any shade at all, or is it all sun all the time on sunny days?

We have this room booked for the June 10th cruise and we hope to spend a lot of time in those lounge chairs, but I was hoping that there is a little shade as the sun moves around (yes, I know it's the earth that moves :D). June is early and we will have no base tan to help keep us from burning. I do plan to bring a ton of high number sun screen and a large hat! Speaking of the hat - how windy is it on the aft section?

I've heard there is noise from the lounge below, but I bring ear plugs so that's not an issue for me.

Oh and do you know if they assign dining rooms by cabin location. Much as I'd love to eat in the Black Pearl for Pirates of the Caribbean reasons :) - the Golden Pearl would work out better for us.

Kat, Remember your new Scottish friends for a wee party in your suite some night maybe for a sailaway from somewhere. We like a wee party now and again.

Nothing like inviting yourself? Not be long now. Just under 3 months to go.

We are booked in stateroom 6266.

Not sure what you mean by Pirates of the Caribbean reasons. Must be a private joke! :rolleyes: I don't know for a fact, but I remember reading that the Black Pearl was used for ATD and the Golden Pearl for assigned dining times. But I could be wrong...:confused: