My 1st cruise and this seriously had to happen???

I learned the deadbolt lesson from the other side of this situation. I was traveling on business and arrived at my hotel (higher end business class hotel) around 10:30 in the evening. I checked in, got my key card, and went to my room. I put the card in the slot, opened the door, and stared at another guy laying on the bed in his underwear watching television. Somehow, the hotel system didn't show that he had checked in, and the person at the front desk gave me a room that had already been given to someone else.

Moral of the story...there are several ways in which someone else can purposefully or accidentally get into your room. A physical deadbolt is your best defense when in the room! I agree though that the OP should reasonably have expected to have the keycard lock work properly.

Why is this NOT rccl fault. Their daedbolt did not work. They failed to maintain their equipment. I should not have to use a chain, push a chair up against the door to keep any one with a seapass out of the room. The hotel/cruise ship lock just don't go bad. I work in Apartment Maintenance with deadbolts like these and the batteries just don't die. They take about a month before the default kicks in and it will let you open it up. It will not go completely die because you have to get inside the door to change the batteries. Kicking in doors are fun but a pain to fix :o So yes if rccl were doing their jobs this would never happen. We now know what to look for. But it's not the OP's fault at all. But as always what do I know right :o
The way I read the posts, I don't think anyone is saying it's not RCI's fault. What they're saying is that there was a simple additional measure they could have taken which would have prevented it. And that, considering there was no actual harm, $50 credit and fixing the problem seems sufficient.

if the door is locked when you leave and the battery goes dead, it will stay locked. It will not magically unlock.

Thanks, I didn't know that. They didn't have any engineering or locksmithing courses in medical school.

. Please don't get into hypotheticals like someone relieving themselves in your bed, in the unlikely event this happend you could just call housekeeping and have them change your bedding. .

I would like to be around and see how you would handle that if it happened to YOU. I could just see me trying to tell my wife not to worry, they will change the bedding!!!!!!!!!!!!

I learned the deadbolt lesson from the other side of this situation. I was traveling on business and arrived at my hotel (higher end business class hotel) around 10:30 in the evening. I checked in, got my key card, and went to my room. I put the card in the slot, opened the door, and stared at another guy laying on the bed in his underwear watching television. Somehow, the hotel system didn't show that he had checked in, and the person at the front desk gave me a room that had already been given to someone else.

My husband and I were at a hotel once where this happened. This man walked into our room because they gave him our room key. We weren't in our underwear wathcing tv though:eek:

I have a stupid technical question. If the battery was dead, how does that make any SeaPass card work? :confused:

Is it that the door didn't lock at all? Otherwise, wouldn't it still take a power source to recognize a card (any card), then release the lock?

That was my experience, when we were on the Legend OTS in 2003, one day I couldn't get in my room. We had to call security to get the battery changed. I can assure you in that case the door would not open even for the correct seapass card or the steward's. Something doesn't sound right, because the default position is normally nothing works....

jc

I would like to be around and see how you would handle that if it happened to YOU. I could just see me trying to tell my wife not to worry, they will change the bedding!!!!!!!!!!!!

How nice of you to say you would actually like to see me go through the stress of an imaginary scenerio a character on CC dreamed up. At this point I do not know who is more wierd, the poster who made up this hypothetical or you for actually wanting to see it.... By the way, Changing the bedding to me means change the whole bed.... frame and all.

That was my experience, when we were on the Legend OTS in 2003, one day I couldn't get in my room. We had to call security to get the battery changed. I can assure you in that case the door would not open even for the correct seapass card or the steward's. Something doesn't sound right, because the default position is normally nothing works....

jc

Great, finally something on this thread that makes sense to me in my non-engineering or locksmithing mind.

jc

From what she said, I would bet there was a lot more wrong with the door than the battery. She said the deadbolt would not work and I have no clue how that could be but at this point the only person who really knows the defect is the repair crew. They probably didnt want to alarm her by saying the thing was all jacked up and just told her the battery needed changed.

jc

There are two ways systems can be designed to handle the power loss situation, fail-safe or fail-open. Based on the descriptions of events, I would guess Legend had fail-safe and Monarch had fail-open.

OP, I'm sorry this happened on your first cruise! Please don't let that deter you from cruising in the future!

What could have happened is that the drunk guy lost his seapass and had to get a new one made but gave the desk the wrong cabin number. Ideally, they would have checked his ID and name before issuing a new one but I've seen it at hotels where they just issue a new key. Maybe "batteries are dead" was their genric excuse to cover a mistake?

There are two ways systems can be designed to handle the power loss situation, fail-safe or fail-open. Based on the descriptions of events, I would guess Legend had fail-safe and Monarch had fail-open.

True but if they changed the door locks to a new system as someone suggested 4 to 6 years ago, then the current system on all the ships I have been on is default to locked. I know that was the system on the Indy and the Mariner because people from my roll call on both cruises had that experience that I talked to on the cruise or afterwards.

Wasn't there, but I probably wouldn't lose too much sleep after the first night, because I wouldn't have worried about it after that. I tend to enjoy the good food, drinks and fun and forget that I need to worry about someone coming into my room and having their way with me.:D I have lived to 51 years without it happening, so of course it can't happen to me!;)

jc

OP, I'm sorry this happened on your first cruise! Please don't let that deter you from cruising in the future!

What could have happened is that the drunk guy lost his seapass and had to get a new one made but gave the desk the wrong cabin number. Ideally, they would have checked his ID and name before issuing a new one but I've seen it at hotels where they just issue a new key. Maybe "batteries are dead" was their genric excuse to cover a mistake?

Unfortunately, this theory makes the most sense to me.

jc

What is so simple? Just because the door is locked when you leave doesn't mean the battery won't die while you are out and your room suddenly becomes available to everyone. You find this to be ok? I don't. Simple really.

and so you propose daily battery changes so we can all pay more in cruise fares? nah, ain't nothing that important in my room. I'll take teh bargain fare and the chance of a dead battery. It is acceptable risk to me.

you should get a free cruise

A free cruise for a door that did not lock or was not shut correctly? a apology and 50 compensation is sufficient. I am also glad the poster was not physically harmed in any way.

How nice of you to say you would actually like to see me go through the stress of an imaginary scenerio a character on CC dreamed up. At this point I do not know who is more wierd, the poster who made up this hypothetical or you for actually wanting to see it.... By the way, Changing the bedding to me means change the whole bed.... frame and all.

or free chance to play out "whatever goes around comes around"

I did not say I wished it to happen to you, only how you would handle it!!

Now you are calling the OP a character who dreamt up something. Its always easier to comment on somebody who's had a problem, that you have not had.

Thank you, jc. That is exactly what I was thinking. I was having a hard time understanding how a dead battery would enable another person's SeaPass card to work.

Has anyone actually had or heard of a robbery in ones cabin? In all my years of cruising I have never heard about someone braking into cabins and burglarizing them. I have heard about people loosing something on the ship and it never shows up at the lost and found but that is way different then having your cabin burglarized.

According to the OP, you still had to use a seapass card to open the door, but any seapass would work. So your solution is not quite so simple.

but Mr Bond, allow me to explain.

You can't have it both ways.

If the door was locked when the OP left the room and the battery went dead, then NOBODY is getting in, even the guest staying in the room. That's all I was trying to say when I said that I always double check my door knob before leaving.

Assuming that the battery was in good condition, and the OP was in the room and used the dead bolt, then :confused: I don't care what SeaPass card the drunk passenger had. He is not getting in.

Dead bolt not working? I don't get it? sorry........ Shouldn't the OP have called guest services if that was the case? before going to sleep. I would have.

So which one is it Mr. Bond?

Has anyone actually had or heard of a robbery in ones cabin? In all my years of cruising I have never heard about someone braking into cabins and burglarizing them. I have heard about people loosing something on the ship and it never shows up at the lost and found but that is way different then having your cabin burglarized.

Yes. I deal with cruise ship crime. I have seen cases of rooms being burglarized by making entry through the balcony door.

Fortunately, in these cases, the suspects are narrowed down to close neighbors. A quick look at the camera system to see what direction they came from usually pinpoints it.

It's not common.

A free cruise for a door that did not lock or was not shut correctly? a apology and 50 compensation is sufficient. I am also glad the poster was not physically harmed in any way.

I forgot to add a sarcastic note to my post

Archived