My 1st cruise and this seriously had to happen???

SO, I was on Monarch over the weekend for my first cruise....

Food was great!

Ship was great!

Crew was fantastic!

What wasn't so great was the very first night I spent on a cruise ship a strange man walked into my room at 3:30 in the morning. He was clearly drunk and walked into the wrong room! How you may ask? Because Royal Caribbean didn't conduct the proper maintenance on the doors and the batteries were dead on the door which gave anyone with any Seapass card access to my room. The things that could have happened to me or my husband or my belongings (because, lo and behold, not all Monarch rooms have safes) are just too scary to think about. And you want to know what I got to make up for the sleepless nights I had to endure after that incident? A $50 credit to my Seapass account!

Wow, thank goodness you were okay!! I was on the Monarch this past weekend too, and I didn't even THINK to check about the doors. And I was also shocked to find out that there was no safe in my room. Though, she is the oldest of RC's fleet, don't let this experience keep you from cruising, any RC ship you pick from on can only get better :D

You should have known this could have happened. I'm sure if you get into the fine details of your agreement to which you agreed when you went on the cruise, things like this are not the responsiblity of the cruise line. Which is why you should have known to bring a bungie cord, and secure your door before retiring. ;)

Or...

Being the engineer that I am, I'd just write that off as something that will almost certainly never happen again.

Like getting struck by lightening. or

Like winning the lottery. or

Having no one in the audience bring a bag of cheating props to The Quest. or

Having no line at the customer service desk.

Just chuckle, and move on :)

SO, I was on Monarch over the weekend for my first cruise....

Food was great!

Ship was great!

Crew was fantastic!

What wasn't so great was the very first night I spent on a cruise ship a strange man walked into my room at 3:30 in the morning. He was clearly drunk and walked into the wrong room! How you may ask? Because Royal Caribbean didn't conduct the proper maintenance on the doors and the batteries were dead on the door which gave anyone with any Seapass card access to my room. The things that could have happened to me or my husband or my belongings (because, lo and behold, not all Monarch rooms have safes) are just too scary to think about. And you want to know what I got to make up for the sleepless nights I had to endure after that incident? A $50 credit to my Seapass account!

I believe there is a dead bolt on the inside you can turn to prevent this. If you would have turned the knob to the left after closing your door this would not have happend and you could have slept peacefully. Fifty bucks for not knowing how to use the dead bolt is a pretty good deal.

Why are people blaming the victim? You should be ashamed of yourselves.:mad:

I hope you're never the victim of a crime and the judge throws the case out because it was all your fault you got robbed, raped, beaten up, had your identity stolen, etc.

Cabin doors locking is the responsibility of the cruise line. I suppose if the OP had been killed by this person it would have still been her fault :rolleyes:

Why are people blaming the victim? You should be ashamed of yourselves.:mad:

I hope you're never the victim of a crime and the judge throws the case out because it was all your fault you got robbed, raped, beaten up, had your identity stolen, etc.

Cabin doors locking is the responsibility of the cruise line. I suppose if the OP had been killed by this person it would have still been her fault :rolleyes:

What victim and crime in this case are your referring to? Someone accidently walked into her room, there are no victims here and no crime was committed. She got 50 bucks and her door fixed. This has happend to me a couple times in nice hotels and all I got was a new keycard. I am certain the poster Toddcan was joking. You need to relax.

I believe there is a dead bolt on the inside you can turn to prevent this. If you would have turned the knob to the left after closing your door this would not have happend and you could have slept peacefully. Fifty bucks for not knowing how to use the dead bolt is a pretty good deal.

I agree.

What happened to you, Liz, was unfortunate, but it truly could have been prevented by your use of the deadbolt/extra lock.

I don't know about anyone else, but I *always* lock the door before going to bed.

$50 is pretty nice compensation!

Wow, thank goodness you were okay!! I was on the Monarch this past weekend too, and I didn't even THINK to check about the doors. And I was also shocked to find out that there was no safe in my room. Though, she is the oldest of RC's fleet, don't let this experience keep you from cruising, any RC ship you pick from on can only get better :D

I'm getting old lol because I remember being on the older ships when you had no safe and we lined up at pursers desk to drop off valuables to be put in boxes in back of pursers desk. Reading the above post reminded me. It was back in the late 80s

I'm getting old lol because I remember being on the older ships (they were new at the time) when you had no safe and we lined up at pursers desk to drop off valuables to be put in boxes in back of pursers desk. Reading the above post reminded me. It was back in the late 80s

I wonder if all the ships have the deadbolts on the door as a backup? I know I always use them but I have also never really sailed an OLDER ship...I can understand that it CAN happen but it never should...

I can't imagine what could have happened and this is the reason I don't like my girls in a seperate cabin than us...

I am so sorry that this happened to you and I am glad nothing happened to you or your husband.

Wow..that would have freaked me out as well!! You would think after it happened someone would have shown you how to use the deadbolt on your door...then you could have gotten a decent nights sleep!

I always use the dead bolt or safety chain when I travel..maids & cabin stewards have a habit of doing a quick knock & then coming in...I don't like surprises...:eek:

My hubby works in the security industry and always checks that the doors and windows lock properly. The first few vacations I thought he was crazy until our hotel room door in Cancun shut but didn't lock. Since then we've had many trips where doors and windows shut yet don't lock properly or at all. Hubby says this happens all the time and when it does to us he busts out the I told you so look. Ugh... hate it when he's right.

Lesson to be learned- always check that the security measures in place are working before relying them. After all it's your stuff and your life.

I have a stupid technical question. If the battery was dead, how does that make any SeaPass card work? :confused:

Is it that the door didn't lock at all? Otherwise, wouldn't it still take a power source to recognize a card (any card), then release the lock?

It's a bit difficult to set the deadbolt when you're not in the stateroom. OP was also concerned at the lack of a room safe; what if that drunk had stumbled into their room when they were away and decided to relieve them of their valuables?

I'd say that RCCL $50 was the least they could have provided...

Okay, my 2 cents.

While I feel for the OP and i'm glad you were not physically harmed, I have to agree with all posters regarding using the deadbolt on the door then no one would have been able to enter.

We always turn the deadbolt and also use the bar (think chain found on some doors at home) that is also on the door.

It's a bit difficult to set the deadbolt when you're not in the stateroom. OP was also concerned at the lack of a room safe; what if that drunk had stumbled into their room when they were away and decided to relieve them of their valuables?

Exactly. The first thing I thought about when people started going off about deadbolts.

Are you guys for real????????

I ALWAYS lock the door!

After this happened, my husband stepped outside and I locked the door from the inside. He used our key and was able to open the door, even though it was "locked". I wouldn't exactly call the lock a deadbolt either.

And how was this not RCI's fault? If they conducted the proper maintenance, as they say they do, this would not have happened. And to some of you, this may be a laughing matter, but God forbid it was you, with your children in the room! Not so funny, is it?

If you do not have a room safe, then it is obvious one should ever leave anything of value behind when departing the room as room stewards, housekeeping, and god knows who can get in your room. It is just common sense.

I ALWAYS lock the door!

After this happened, my husband stepped outside and I locked the door from the inside. He used our key and was able to open the door, even though it was "locked". I wouldn't exactly call the lock a deadbolt either.

And how was this not RCI's fault? If they conducted the proper maintenance, as they say they do, this would not have happened. And to some of you, this may be a laughing matter, but God forbid it was you, with your children in the room! Not so funny, is it?

Did you have a chair in your room? Since you do not trust the deadbolt, back a chair against the door.

I ALWAYS lock the door!

Your husband was still able to enter after you turned the bottom latch?? Now THAT is scarey!! And definately more than a battery issue..you should not be able to unlock the door from the outside when that dead bolt is engaged...

And as far as worrying about my "things' being stolen...I am more concerned about my personal safety than I am about anything I might carry on a cruise...things can be replaced.."I" can't..

Archived