My 1st cruise and this seriously had to happen???

Shouldn't the OP have called guest services if that was the case? before going to sleep. I would have.

So which one is it Mr. Bond?

The dead bolt will work when the batteries are ALMOST dead. The green light will blink a few time, or blink green or red. Maint. know the code for the blinking light on the lock. It goes into a safe mode so you can change the batteries without having to break the door down. You would have no clue if it was working or not unless you know the blinking light code. The OP went to bed thinking the lock was working so why would she call to get it fixed. And she did call when she found out the lock was not working. So that been said, with the door locked it can still be opened to change to batteries.

It's all in one. The batteries read the card to turn the handle. I work in Apt. Maint. and we have kind of the same lock but with a infrared chip keys. When the light blinks red 3 time the batteries are going dead. The lock still work but not for long. Then if nothing is done the batteries are dead and the lock will open with any key. The OP did not flip the top dead bolt I don't think. I was just call the door latch unit the dead bolt.

What victim and crime in this case are your referring to? Someone accidently walked into her room, there are no victims here and no crime was committed. She got 50 bucks and her door fixed. This has happend to me a couple times in nice hotels and all I got was a new keycard. I am certain the poster Toddcan was joking. You need to relax.

Gotta love it Rolloman, my sentiments exactly. And yes, there is that brass bar lock at the top of the door too that can be pushed over to prevent anyone from coming in. No one is blaming anybody for anything. Some are just giving advice and levity. A nonissue really. Shlt happens.

The dead bolt will work when the batteries are ALMOST dead. The green light will blink a few time, or blink green or red. Maint. know the code for the blinking light on the lock. It goes into a safe mode so you can change the batteries without having to break the door down. You would have no clue if it was working or not unless you know the blinking light code. The OP went to bed thinking the lock was working so why would she call to get it fixed. And she did call when she found out the lock was not working. So that been said, with the door locked it can still be opened to change to batteries.

dead bolt - a lock that is totally separate from any keyed(electronic or not) lock and can only be locked when one is inside the stateroom, hotel room, apartment, house, etc... and once locked it can't not be opened from the outside unless somebody kicks the door in.....

The procedure requires a manual interaction of the person in the room. You need to turn the knob. If it does not work, call guest services and have it fixed.

SO, I was on Monarch over the weekend for my first cruise....

Food was great!

Ship was great!

Crew was fantastic!

What wasn't so great was the very first night I spent on a cruise ship a strange man walked into my room at 3:30 in the morning. He was clearly drunk and walked into the wrong room! How you may ask? Because Royal Caribbean didn't conduct the proper maintenance on the doors and the batteries were dead on the door which gave anyone with any Seapass card access to my room. The things that could have happened to me or my husband or my belongings (because, lo and behold, not all Monarch rooms have safes) are just too scary to think about. And you want to know what I got to make up for the sleepless nights I had to endure after that incident? A $50 credit to my Seapass account!

I'm no mechanical engineer but I believe a few pounds of pressure on the deadbolt latch would have stopped anyone not carrying a sledge hammer from entering.

dead bolt - a lock that is totally separate from any keyed(electronic or not) lock and can only be locked when one is inside the stateroom, hotel room, apartment, house, etc... and once locked it can't not be opened from the outside unless somebody kicks the door in.....

The procedure requires a manual interaction of the person in the room. You need to turn the knob. If it does not work, call guest services and have it fixed.

Then what do you lock and unlock from the outside part of the door to get into your house? A DEADBOLT!:eek:

I wonder if all the ships have the deadbolts on the door as a backup? I know I always use them but I have also never really sailed an OLDER ship...I can understand that it CAN happen but it never should...

I can't imagine what could have happened and this is the reason I don't like my girls in a seperate cabin than us...

I am so sorry that this happened to you and I am glad nothing happened to you or your husband.

There aren't deadbolts (or chains) on the NOS. On our previous cruise (VOS), the last morning, husband went down to the Promenade at 7:00 a.m. to get coffee while I finished packing. My room steward (tip already pocketed), knocked lightly on the door and before I could get there, he was through it and in my cabin. He said he thought we had already vacated it. Huh? 7:00 a.m.? Don't think so. Fortunately, I was decent but hadn't been 30 seconds before as I had just finished my shower. So this cruise, I made a point to put the Do Not Disturb sign out the last night and went to either chain or dead bolt the door and found none of the above.

Two questions. 1) How does one check to see if the battery is dead in the door and 2) what is this "turning the knob to the left"? Is that in lieu of a deadbolt?

Tucker in Texas

Then what do you lock and unlock from the outside part of the door to get into your house? A DEADBOLT!:eek:

Dead bolts on cruise ships do not have a key hole on the outside of the door. It is only an internal hand-turned component. At least, that has been the case on every ship I have been on.

okay one more lesson and I'm done.

Dead bolt - it can only be used once you're inside. Get it?

REALLY! Go to Home Depo and look for locks that go above a door handle and the packaging will say DEAD BOLT LOCKS! You can lock them from the outside with no one inside. Stop getting your info. off wikipedia ;) CLASS DISMISSED

I believe there is a dead bolt on the inside you can turn to prevent this. If you would have turned the knob to the left after closing your door this would not have happend and you could have slept peacefully. Fifty bucks for not knowing how to use the dead bolt is a pretty good deal.

Even if you lock the door a seapass will will unlock it. It happened to my wife & I. Our mistake was not throwing the dead bolt.

Dead bolts on cruise ships do not have a key hole on the outside of the door. It is only an internal hand-turned component. At least, that has been the case on every ship I have been on.

You are right about not having to need a key for the cruise ship dead bolt. All I was trying to say is there are many different types of dead bolts. And someone said you can't unlock a dead bolt from the outside. You can on some.

Here is a picture of a stateroom door from the RCCL website that clearly shows the deadbolt under the handle. I believe this deadbolt can only be activated from the inside and cannot be opened by anyone other than the maintenance crew if someone has it engaged and cannot open it. It is separate from the keyed entry mechanism which operates the handle only.

As for safes, funny, we had one on Majesty last summer and we were in a lowly interior room. The picture does not show the brass slide lock I thought I remembered at the top of the door though.

124it5g.jpg

Allow me to explain little more.

Few years ago I was staying at the Hilton LA Airport Hotel. I went to my room, turned the dead bolt latch and did the usual things one does before going to sleep.

Unfortunately I had a medical emergency but I was able to call security or front desk (can't remember) but not able to go up to the door.

The security, guest services, police and LA ER showed up some minutes later. The hotel security tried to get in but could not because of the dead bolt, so they kept on talking to me through the door. I couldn't move from my bed and even though I was somewhat coherent, it wasn't going to happen. The hotel security had to kick the door in even though they had a master key. They did it with the help of the 2 police officers. They broke the door frame and got in.

It was a good thing they did. I'm here to talk about it today.

btw, The LA Hilton CS was wonderful after I got out of the hospital few days later. All my belongings including my expensive camera equipment, my laptops, about $1000 in cash were still in the room when I went back to pick it up before I went home to Florida. They secured the room so even the room service people could not get in and at the end they did not charge me anything, not even the broken door and for the 3 nights the room was on a lock down.

REALLY! Go to Home Depo and look for locks that go above a door handle and the packaging will say DEAD BOLT LOCKS! You can lock them from the outside with no one inside. Stop getting your info. off wikipedia ;) CLASS DISMISSED

Sorry but you are incorrect. Dead bolts cannot be unlocked with a key...hence...they are dead. The bolt you are referring to is a keyed bolt lock. This you use your key to open when you enter your home. A true dead bolt can only be operated from the inside of your home and does not have a keyhole. My front door hardware has both.

andrzej5914 I'm glad you're ok and I think or hope we can agree that there are many different types of locks. The ones I have at work can be unlocked. But I know not all can. I was just giving my two very little cents into the mix of thing. I tryed to explain how my locks at work can open even if the batteries are dead.

That was my experience, when we were on the Legend OTS in 2003, one day I couldn't get in my room. We had to call security to get the battery changed. I can assure you in that case the door would not open even for the correct seapass card or the steward's. Something doesn't sound right, because the default position is normally nothing works....

jc

Same thing happened to us on the Mariner in 2007. We came back from shore and neither one of our seapass cards worked. Tried to open the door without the card for the heck of it and and couldn't get in. Stewards key wouldn't work either. Battery was dead. Maint. had to come take the whole lock mechanism out of the door and change it so we could get in. I used to work in a hotel as well, if the battery died, nothing worked.

I get a little nervous in rooms with dead bolts, chains, etc. What if you have a medical emergency and your room is locked up tight from the inside? I guess medical personnel will have to kick the door down to get in :confused:

Dead bolts cannot be unlocked with a key...hence...they are dead. The bolt you are referring to is a keyed bolt lock.

I just went to Home Depot web site and the deadbolts they sell can be locked from the outside and they call them dead bolt. They also sell the one sided deadbolts too.

I did not say I wished it to happen to you, only how you would handle it!!

Now you are calling the OP a character who dreamt up something. Its always easier to comment on somebody who's had a problem, that you have not had.

Unreal dude...do us all a favor and read the whole thread next time. I will defend myself by saying the "character" reference was directed to AlanfromFL who was quoting hypotheticals. Read the whole thread next time before you pop off. Now run along now and go find someone else to fight with.

It is amazing this has turned into such a big to do. Lock was broke, a drunk walked in, lock was fixed. 50 bucks earned for compensation. Lesson learned- Use the deadbolt when in room, always secure valuables prior to leaving room. Sorry it happend, extremely rare, damn the bad luck. No harm no foul. Cruising is good.

The lock malfunctioned, OP was startled to wake up to unknown drunk guy stumbling around her cabin in the dark. Whether or not she locked the whatever kind of bolt you want to call it, it still was crappy thing to have happen on your first cruise. You would expect not to have to push a chair up against your door to keep unwanted "visitors" out, since you think you have card which allows only you and the cruise staff to enter. Gives you a false sense of security. Makes for a good conversation piece, though!

It was nice that they offered you a OBC for your inconvenience. Remember to use the bolting device in addition next time! :p

I just went to Home Depot web site and the deadbolts they sell can be locked from the outside and they call them dead bolt. They also sell the one sided deadbolts too.

Yes, perhaps with a key. Cruise lines do not use atual keys, a key card opens the door. Others are correct, you cannot lock the deadbolt from the outside of your cabin.

What was your comment??? Oh yeah, CLASS DISMISSED.

###

Archived