new prohibited item list

smd1234

Why has overreaction become the norm??? I just went to Carnivals site and read the restrictions. I fail to see anything worthy of all the raised voices. Most of it is simply urging passengers to use caution and common sense. I can see where those who regulary use curling irons might be dissapointed, but is this really the end of the world as we know it?

Not being able to style my hair constitutes the end of my world and believe me it's scary what humidity can do to it!

I guess if it comes down to the nitty gritty I can go to the laundry and iron it with the clothes iron, but I don't want to.

Even a pony tail doesn't work for me...darn my parents for giving me this frizzy hair.

Who knew that taking a vacation would become such a chore? They want you to dress up and be all beautiful for the photos to purchase and then tell you that you can't bring on the tools to do it with??? *****??? Back to the condo at the beach. Have to cook & clean, but I'm a pretty darn good cook and have lots of help in the cleaning department. I can also bring all the extension cords, hair dryers, George Formans, etc. I can carry and no one gives a rats behind. Don't have to smuggle, just tote it right on in, and if I were so inclined, I could bring the not so legal stuff at my own risk. Not to mention the beach, 24/7.

I grew up a long time ago and don't need someone to 'big brother' me. I have a mom, and that's enough.

Cruising use to be fun, and now all the niceties are being taken away. Big brother is everywhere, in every aspect of our lives. All the way from limiting your salt intake in food and trans fats to power strips and hair curlers being eliminated. Don't forget all the hoops you have to jump through at the air port. This will be our last cruise, it's no longer fun or worth it to us. I actually hope that Carnival cancels our upcoming cruise in October. I can drive around the US and see sights that I've never seen before.

cameras & cell phones- I guess that's to eliminate the competition from the professional photogs that we will be FORCED to buy pictures from-- but what about that whale I saw off the balcony?
Carnival has not banned cameras and cell phones. They are merely asking that that electronic devices be in good working condition and used safely - not plugged into an outlet/adapter with 2 dozen other devices, for example.

Not being able to style my hair constitutes the end of my world and believe me it's scary what humidity can do to it!

I guess if it comes down to the nitty gritty I can go to the laundry and iron it with the clothes iron, but I don't want to.

Even a pony tail doesn't work for me...darn my parents for giving me this frizzy hair.

I empathize with your problem. Not being a hairstylist, I'm not aware of the solution. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist, though. Where there is a problem, there is usually a solution. This problem probably calls for some creativity and internet research. Best wishes!

Maybe this is just me, but when I go on vacation I go to relax and not have to do things I do in my day to day.

One reason we keep choosing Carnival is because they are laid back and you do not have to be dressed to the nines, even on formal night.

I've never brought an extension cord or power strip. What would I need this for on vacation?

I know I'm not like most women and I never use a hair dryer or any type of tool for my hair.

It's all about how you look at your vacation. We go so we can relax and remain laid back about anything that comes our way. We like cruising because everything is on the ship and you get to visit several places on each cruise. A lot better than staying at some resort for a week and seeing one thing all week.

Remember only get upset about big things and everything is little.

The last list I saw said curling irons and flat irons for hair were allowed. Is there not hairdryers in the cabins?

Not all of the ships have hair dryers. My small travel hair dryer exceed the wattage limit. I can't read the itty bitty writing on my straighter, but I bet it does too.

"Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not exceed 700 watts

Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided. "

Maybe this is just me, but when I go on vacation I go to relax and not have to do things I do in my day to day.

One reason we keep choosing Carnival is because they are laid back and you do not have to be dressed to the nines, even on formal night.

I've never brought an extension cord or power strip. What would I need this for on vacation?

I know I'm not like most women and I never use a hair dryer or any type of tool for my hair.

It's all about how you look at your vacation. We go so we can relax and remain laid back about anything that comes our way. We like cruising because everything is on the ship and you get to visit several places on each cruise. A lot better than staying at some resort for a week and seeing one thing all week.

Remember only get upset about big things and everything is little.

A power strip is essential for me -- my cell phone, my wife's cell phone, the camera's battery, the other camera's battery and my wife's computer all need to be charged. Perhaps not all at once, but usually two are plugged in, so a single outlet is insufficient. We are not going to trip a circuit breaker this way. However, if Carnival takes away the power strip one of us will be in the gym or at the buffet or somewhere in a lounge charging a battery from time to time.

Ok.....so now we have a "revised" list.....and we contiune to debate what is - and is not - allowed :(. But - even with all of the discussions so far, I have not seen my main concern addressed.

Has anyone else stopped to think about how long it is going to take to get your luggage - if they TRULY enforce this :confused:. By they time they open every suitcase and check every cord for "safety" and the wattage of every hair dryer the cruise will be over :eek:.

Most of this does not really effect us......we have never taken a fan, power strip, lap top, curling or flat irons and I rarely have used my hair dryer even if I take it. But I certainly understand it being an issue for those who do use or need those items.

Seriously - I can not imagine how long it is going to take to go through each piece of luggage to truly enforce this updated policy - because you certainly can not check the wattage or condition of any of these items by scanning the luggage :cool:.

A power strip is essential for me -- my cell phone, my wife's cell phone, the camera's battery, the other camera's battery and my wife's computer all need to be charged. Perhaps not all at once, but usually two are plugged in, so a single outlet is insufficient. We are not going to trip a circuit breaker this way. However, if Carnival takes away the power strip one of us will be in the gym or at the buffet or somewhere in a lounge charging a battery from time to time.

I'm sure you could have them all plugged in at different times...a few overnight and a few during the day. But to each their own...

Hey, y'all... please take a moment to look closely at that list.

The folks at Carnival really listened to input and I think they did a fine job putting it together... both to make us happy and to cover themselves.

The only thing that's really gone is the clothes steamer. I've brought one on the past nine Carnival cruises and never used it once... after all... there are irons available.

Personally, I think kudos are in order for a sensible resolution...

:)

Papadave,

Help me out here. I take a lot of stuff with me on travel also. Never cruised however all that have read I need to ask.

1. Why 2 cell phones that need to be on all the time?

2. Why a laptop that needs to be charged all the time? (3 hour battery?)

Camera batteries. meh I can see that. My DSLR takes dbl As so Im covered.

Some cell phones can be charged via the USB port on your LT.

Not calling you out or anything but seems a little overkill just more curious then anything as my wife had a cow that I was bringing my LT until I told her I needed it to transfer pics from the camera.

Seriously - I can not imagine how long it is going to take to go through each piece of luggage to truly enforce this updated policy - because you certainly can not check the wattage or condition of any of these items by scanning the luggage :cool:.

Well hopefully people could prepre themselves with the items that may be questionable by getting ones that are within the perscribed limits and have them readlily available?

hey, y'all... Please take a moment to look closely at that list.

the folks at carnival really listened to input and i think they did a fine job putting it together... Both to make us happy and to cover themselves.

the only thing that's really gone is the clothes steamer. I've brought one on the past nine carnival cruises and never used it once... After all... There are irons available.

personally, i think kudos are in order for a sensible resolution...

:)

i agree!!!

Ok.....so now we have a "revised" list.....and we contiune to debate what is - and is not - allowed :(. But - even with all of the discussions so far, I have not seen my main concern addressed.

Has anyone else stopped to think about how long it is going to take to get your luggage - if they TRULY enforce this :confused:. By they time they open every suitcase and check every cord for "safety" and the wattage of every hair dryer the cruise will be over :eek:.

Most of this does not really effect us......we have never taken a fan, power strip, lap top, curling or flat irons and I rarely have used my hair dryer even if I take it. But I certainly understand it being an issue for those who do use or need those items.

There is no way they will open and go thru everyones luggage.....my guess is they will leave it up to the cabin steward to see if anything looks like a fire hazard......seriously I don't think it will be any different except now if they do confiscate something of that nature.....they have their butts covered........I seriously don't think the wattage will be a deal breaker.....but will let you know when I get back next week:D

Sounds like somebody in upper management had an idea and it back fired if you ask me...

Well hopefully people could prepre themselves with the items that may be questionable by getting ones that are within the perscribed limits and have them readlily available?

That makes sense, but are they really going to check the wattage on every hair styling tool? Most hair dryers exceed 700w (and ALL the good ones do). Would it be better to check them or carry on? Either way, if they have to check them all it's going to take hours and the wait to board ships at my home port already exceeds an hour, without checking every hair dryer.

Are the room stewards going to be the ones that have to police wattage?

"Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not exceed 700 watts and should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

I don't think curling irons will be affected by the 700 watts limit. I just checked mine, it's one of the super hot ceramic ones and it says 80W in all the details imprinted on the back of the handle. So wouldnt' that be 80 watts, no where near the 700 watt limit. Now my hairdryer is way over that.

What idiot would be using a hairdryer with frayed cords:confused:

True - but they will still have to look at each item....to verify.....which is going to take a lot of time :rolleyes:

That makes sense, but are they really going to check the wattage on every hair styling tool? Most hair dryers exceed 700w (and ALL the good ones do). Would it be better to check them or carry on? Either way, if they have to check them all it's going to take hours and the wait to board ships at my home port already exceeds an hour, without checking every hair dryer.

Are the room stewards going to be the ones that have to police wattage?

"Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not exceed 700 watts and should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

Personally, I'm not worrying about the issue.

If you look at it as a big picture thing NOTHING has changed with the exception of clothes steamers.

Hopefully, we have enough sense to use equipment that is in good repair and not a hazard. If it is, it SHOULD be confiscated. I don't think anyone is in favor of cabin fires.

There's some stuff in there to protect Carnival when they need to take something away... as it should be...

Personally, I'm not worrying about the issue.

If you look at it as a big picture thing NOTHING has changed with the exception of clothes steamers.

Hopefully, we have enough sense to use equipment that is in good repair and not a hazard. If it is, it SHOULD be confiscated. I don't think anyone is in favor of cabin fires.

There's some stuff in there to protect Carnival when they need to take something away... as it should be...

Mach I agree with all that you say here...but....In the line I highlighted you said "enough sense"...You missed the word "common" in there.....;)

As the saying goes....

"I find common sense is NOT to common anymore"...;)

Archived