new prohibited item list

smd1234

Good for you that you've never had reason to understand why a small fan can be necessary. Some of us have medical conditions that allow us to still travel from time to time, but that affect body temperature regulation. It's (no pun) hell to try to sleep while drenched with sweat in a cool room. A small fan aimed directly at me does more to help that then A/C ever could. With it, I can sleep, covered with a sheet (I can't sleep without "something" over my shoulders), even when my auto-immune response goes haywire. I'm also guessing you've never had a hot flash. Truth is that I haven't either, but can look forward to it in the next few years. Can't wait to add those to my current night sweats. Also, some people have severe tinnitus and need the white noise to tune it out and get to sleep.

The bottom line is that your blanket statement is based on the idea that because you don't need a fan, then no one ever could. And it's simply not correct.

beachchick

I have to agree with you here beachchick. My DH and I sleep with a fan year round and on our last cruise, we took a small fan with us. We slept so much better and it drowned some of the noise out. On one of our cruises people were in the hall yelling at one another at 1 am and at that point really wished we had our fan. I will invest in a battery operated fan (camping section at Walmart) to take with me next time.

I know this ain't going to set good with you, but here goes anyway

Great post, and I couldn't agree more. Once again the bottom line is, its THEIR ship, THEIR rules. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Eileen

The "common" in common sense is gone and I wonder what society will be like for my 6 and 4 year old grand daughters in the future after watching and learning from the incredible examples we set for them today. Geez, folks, we really need to step back and take a long hard look at ourselves and put our priorities in order!

JMHO......Off the soapbox now...flame away. :)

We might as well hang it up, the world is going to he** in a hand basket! :eek:

At least while it does, we will cruise in comfort!

Tom

On the other hand, I (and probably others on this thread) have many times stood in line, shoeless, one-quart ziploc in hand, at airport security and wondered whether the terrorists are actually winning..... :mad:

The answer to that is an unequivocal YES! :( The things that the government makes us do have very little to do with protection, and very much to do with getting us to "buy in" to their increasing control by thinking "we're doing our part". </rant>

No handcuffs??:eek: Hubby will be very disappointed..;):D

LOL...that reminds be of a cruise i had a couple years ago. One of the roll call members always had trouble keeping up with her husband. He was always wondering off, so as a joke, I went to Walmart and bought TOY handcuffs and put them in my bag. I received notification that they had my bag at security and I had to go down to talk to them. They gave me such a hard time (making fun) and did NOT believe my story. It was so embarassing They kept the toy handcuffs said i could pick them up and take them on the island. LOL.

As for flat irons, I would not cruise with a line that refused flat irons/curling irons unless the salon was going to personally do my hair every day...for free I might add.

Sorry but this ruling is very plain to me!! If its not in good condition why would you keep in anyways?? Even wrapping it up with electrical tape is taking a chance!! No I won't go out and buy new just for the cruise but I will buy something new if its in bad condition! A lot of you not most are making a moutain out of a mole hill so calm down and get back to your senses and think about what you are saying!!

I have to wonder why one would even be on this board that doesn't sail Carnival? What purpose do you have over here other than to try to ruffle Carnival fans feathers?

awww....i guess im not welcome either. sorry I posted a minute ago :(

My post is gone.

Oh well. It still feels good to have gotten that off my chest!

It is incredible how mine got gone and some of the others and the incredible things said in them remain.

Oh well. It's CC's ball and since it is, they make the rules. I'll play by those as I will Carnival's. :)

In case you didn't get the message, I think Carnivla's list and reasons for it are totally reasonable and I do believe they heard our voices and adjusted accordlingly, without compromising our safety. I AM a risk and safety manager by profession, so I do speak with some expertise.

Happy Sails!

Strange --- Chief's post went POOF!

(up in flames? :eek:) --- just having fun with words here, no harm intended!

Tom

And none taken! I knew it was going to be controversial, I didn't think it was anymore controversial than some of the others that have been posted. But, I am not the judge and jury for CC, so they have ruled and I lost.

It ain't the first time and it won't be the last! :)

Ok, so I'm almost afraid to even post a response since some of you guys have received some harsh responses. I believe this is a matter of opinion and we are all entitled to ours. No cruise line will ever have rules in place and make everyone happy. I understand their concern with fire hazards....even though I don't recall the last time I heard about a cabin catching on fire from a hair dryer, flat iron or camera. If any of you have an article or clip on that, I'd love to see it.

We each have to make our own decision, and if not being able to take these things with you will not make you happy on Carnival, then take another cruise line....there are plenty of them out there. I can guarantee that if they take my flat iron on our cruise later this year, it will be the last Carnival cruise my husband and I take. RCCL and NCL will be loving some new comers to their cruise lines!!:o

I just returned from my first cruise on May 16th and it was aboard the Carnival Pride. I had a nice time. It was my first, so I don't have any other experiences with which to compare it.

I understand why precautions are necessary, but I would like more clarity on the new restrictions. For example, I was allowed to have both my laptop and my cellphone. There were no problems. Besides, it costs so much to have internet and cellphone access onboard that I cannot see anyone abusing the use of the related items. I paid $7.00 just to visit a website for less than two minutes. So, there is no way that I would spend much time online.

I hope that Carnival reconsiders and makes their determinations very clear. Otherwise, I would possibly choose another cruise line for convenience's sake.

This whole thing is bizarre, but NO CAMERA???? Do they honestly think I'm not bringing my camera on vacation?? Crazy!

As a Carnival Corp stockholder, I'm not happy!! :mad:

There is NO restriction on bringing a camera on board.

We need to stop this speculation now before it goes and further...

CAMERAS ARE PERMITTED... end of story.

Strange --- Chief's post went POOF!

(up in flames? :eek:) --- just having fun with words here, no harm intended!

Tom

So did mine about surgical menopause.....tell Chief welcome to the club... ;)

I just returned from my first cruise on May 16th and it was aboard the Carnival Pride. I had a nice time. It was my first, so I don't have any other experiences with which to compare it.

I understand why precautions are necessary, but I would like more clarity on the new restrictions. For example, I was allowed to have both my laptop and my cellphone. There were no problems. Besides, it costs so much to have internet and cellphone access onboard that I cannot see anyone abusing the use of the related items. I paid $7.00 just to visit a website for less than two minutes. So, there is no way that I would spend much time online.

I hope that Carnival reconsiders and makes their determinations very clear. Otherwise, I would possibly choose another cruise line for convenience's sake.

Before folks get a ton of misinformation out there I'm posting the list here again:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

Please note that there are NO restrictions on cameras and such in this list.

I decided I would look at a few other cruise lines to see what is acceptible or not. They are all very close in nature, with Carnivals be much more specific than NCL or Disney. That leaves less latitude for error at embarkation. My advise go on vacation, relax have a cocktail or 20. Oh, by the way if you travel on Disney, leave your helium ballon home they will confiscate it.:eek:

There is NO restriction on bringing a camera on board.

We need to stop this speculation now before it goes and further...

CAMERAS ARE PERMITTED... end of story.

It's too late Mach.. it's gone VIRAL! :eek:

Hopefully people will start getting the word that NOTHING has really changed except CLOTHES STEAMERS have been added to the naughty list.

Tom

A good friend of mine was on this cruise with you....she left out of Baltimore on the Pride and also returned Sunday.....she was telling me about all the new restrictions they just put into place. It was her first cruise and she was very disappointed.

Also, she had 1 bottle of champagne and it WAS taken from her suitcase....she is over 21 and only had 1 bottle. They called her to security and she said that she was allowed 1 bottle, but they told her no and took it. They gave it back Saturday night, but they did take it.....

Hopefully people will start getting the word that NOTHING has really changed except CLOTHES STEAMERS have been added to the naughty list.

Tom

.....and don't forget my post Tom-n-Cheryl! It's on the naughty list too!

LMBO! :):)

Tom

I can see John's blog being inundated by questions about why I can't bring my camera on board...

Incomplete information backed by no research equals WRONG...

Foo...

:mad:

Also, she had 1 bottle of champagne and it WAS taken from her suitcase....she is over 21 and only had 1 bottle. They called her to security and she said that she was allowed 1 bottle, but they told her no and took it. They gave it back Saturday night, but they did take it.....

You're free to bring a bottle of champagne on board but it MUST be in a carry on bag for just that reason. If it's in a checked bag it will be confiscated.

PLEASE refer to the list that I published in this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24479533&postcount=243

Thanks...

Archived