new prohibited item list

smd1234

It's too late Mach.. it's gone VIRAL! :eek:

Hopefully people will start getting the word that NOTHING has really changed except CLOTHES STEAMERS have been added to the naughty list.

Tom

The chief engineer is going to be fussing at me for using all the hot water in the shower to steam out the wrinkles .... :)

so do friends of ours - it's a cheap 'cure' for minor apnea

I disagree with you. There are people that need them for health reasons. In fact' date=' I have 3 friends who bring one with them on all their cruises for this specific reason.[/color']

I have a cruise with Carnival booked - I sent email when I read that here. Yes power strips, extension cords, fans, etc are BANNED. They put the rest in the same category - a very vague category that gives them the right to take anyting electronic

Here is some of the exhange:

Received: 5/17/10 1:58:00 PM MDT

To: "Guest Solutions Support (CCL)" <guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com>

Subject: Re: Existing Individual Reservation

I am reading some rather disturbing news on cruise critic.

That curling irons, cellphones, laptops, fans, power strips, etc are being confiscated and not allowed to be brought aboard.

I will cancel my cruise and never cruise with Carnival if they try to take my cellphone (I have children at home) or my curling iron (I am on vacation but do my hair) or some of my other electronics. This is RIDICULOUS.

From them:

In regards to your concerns, Cell phones, laptops and curling irons are not prohibited items house hold fans and power strips are. Please see the information below.

Miscellaneous Concerns:

· Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

· Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

· Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

ME TO THEM

To: Guest Solutions Support

Sent: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:21:10 +0000 (UTC)

Subject: Re: Existing Individual Reservation <<#edited out#>>

What you link below puts ALL these items in the same category - can be used with caution and may be confiscated. Which means some random security person can confiscate ANY of your electronic personal property - which is a contradiction to what you stated. And which IS what is being reported on cruise critic - random confiscations of personal property - even bags being broken into without the passenger present.

There is only a single plug in a cabin - without a power strip you can't even charge your cellphone and your camera when you sleep.

My partner uses a CPAP machine - that in itself requires the plug and an extension cord to reach the bed

Our one other frequent travel partner has minor sleep apnea and sleeps with a small fan blowing in his face and always has - he's done over 50 cruises on various lines and I finally convinced him to try Carnival and now you're going to tell a 55 year old man that he can't have his fan?

If this has not been officially resolved prior to final payment date and widely reported - I will have to cancel the trip and return to Royal Caribbean.

Please send this matter up to your supervisor.

Before folks get a ton of misinformation out there I'm posting the list here again:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

Please note that there are NO restrictions on cameras and such in this list.

Why don't you just close and/or delete this thread. Put a BIG sticky at the top with the updated information. I know there is already a sticky there, but get rid of everything written so far and just post the updated list. People tend to post without reading thru the whole thread, so they are replying to old info or speculation. Get rid of everything and start over and, hopefully, people will "get it".

Where in the world are people getting the idea that cameras are prohibited. I keep seeing it over & over. And people really believe this? Stop the madness! :p

Read CC's homepage article. Cameras are listed as possible item. That's why I asked the question. How would a camera be a threat? Just curious!

Stay calm...nobody has gone mad.

so do friends of ours - it's a cheap 'cure' for minor apnea

I know...hubby uses the CPAP machine and every time he has to replace that hose, strap and thingy.... it is expensive...even WITH insurance....

:eek: They have clothes irons and hair dryers on board why waste space packing them....if you fly most airlines charge for bags now so why double up. Thiers may not be what you use but they are there.. and I agree if the extention cord is new I doubt if they will toss it out. I am going to test it out and see.

:eek: They have clothes irons and hair dryers on board why waste space packing them....if you fly most airlines charge for bags now so why double up. Thiers may not be what you use but they are there.. and I agree if the extention cord is new I doubt if they will toss it out. I am going to test it out and see.

Once more...

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

So, an extension cord is fine and if it's deemed to be a potential hazard it may be confiscated but it will be RETURNED TO YOU on the last day of the voyage. No one will toss anything.

:)

You're free to bring a bottle of champagne on board but it MUST be in a carry on bag for just that reason. If it's in a checked bag it will be confiscated.

PLEASE refer to the list that I published in this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24479533&postcount=243

Thanks...

She was told that she was not allowed to bring it on board at all.....they told her they changed their rule on that 2 weeks ago.....

Very simple. Just don't cruise on carnival. There food is bad and the customer service is just as bad. I just got back from a Royal Carribean Cruise and they were perfect in every way.

The best way is just don't give Carnival any more money, That is what I did.

This is another idiotic way cruise lines alienate customers. In addition to stupidities such as the all inclusive cruises which charge for soda, ice cream, coffee...and the dishonest pricing which excludes the "suggested" gratuity automatically added to the bill. This is just another way to irritate and drive away customers. It is all money driven but in the end will bite Carnival. Irons, curlers and other appliances can potentially cause problems in hotels. Yet hotels don't ban them. Use technology to overcome the potential problems. Outlets can be programmed to switch off after a high wattage device is plugged in for over a number of minutes. They can switch off when you leave the cabin. There ware many ways to prevent problems. But that's not really the point, is it?

Very simple. Just don't cruise on carnival. There food is bad and the customer service is just as bad. I just got back from a Royal Carribean Cruise and they were perfect in every way.

The best way is just don't give Carnival any more money, That is what I did.

WELCOME to Cruise Critic!

Just an FYI... on message boards, as you are evidently not aware, first posts such as yours are not productive. You may have wanted to "establish credibility" first by at least making a few benign posts... just a thought! ;)

Tom

I am glad I got cruising out of my system when the situation was only very bad. I remember when hotels charged a corkage fee for the use of alcohol in your own room. Sanity prevailed when that restriction was removed. The cruise lines are 40 years behind the times. Only hazardous items should be controlled. Boarding a ship should not be like crossing the border.

I am glad I got cruising out of my system when the situation was only very bad. I remember when hotels charged a corkage fee for the use of alcohol in your own room. Sanity prevailed when that restriction was removed. The cruise lines are 40 years behind the times. Only hazardous items should be controlled. Boarding a ship should not be like crossing the border.

If you "got cruising out of your system", what are you doing here? (12 step program therapy??)

Tom

Have to support Carnival on their restrictions of some electric items at sea. Fires on ships not a pleasant event. When you consider the bizarre behaviors of many passengers today and their attitude "it's all about me on this ship", it's amazing these policies weren't enforced years ago. If you need an iron, a high powered hair dryer and other items for your looks, substitute the formalities for a walk around the promenade deck in gale force winds. That'll square things away for you beauties:D

I have a laptop, 2 camera chargers, cell phone & bluetooth chargers [needed before I return to US], etc, etc... ad nauseum... I can't imagine juggling all of them in the ONE available outlet provided, so I've been bringing my own FUSED power strip on cruises for years. C'mon now, are you trying to drive us away from Carnival? Is this someone's idea of justifying their own job ["Let's make up new silly-a$$ rules to make us look like we're working"... saw a lot of THAT in the military!], or is it just setting a guideline in case it's needed? I can't imagine any of those XRay Machine "experts" deciding what is and what isn't a safety threat!

Why is their "solution" a "prohibition"? Why am I not surprised!? In this day and age of electronic devices, it is frustrating enough to get to your cabin (on "older" ships) and find only one outlet. A year ago we cruised 2 weeks on Celebrity Mercury through Panama Canal. One outlet. Two cell phones, one laptop, one digital camera, one hairdryer, one flat iron, one electric razor. Unless you bring an outlet adapter, you're constantly plugging and unplugging devices for charging or use, but there's not enough "juice" coming out of the outlet for a proper charge anyway. One afternoon I took a hot shower, wrapped a towel around me and stepped out into the room to blow dry my hair. Left bathroom door open so mirror could dry off to apply make-up. Pounding at door, mens thick accents. I finish drying hair, pull on clothes, open door. Three ship security officers pour in and begin looking all around (my flat iron was still tucked away, whew!) They were not happy I took so long to finally let them in. (Hey, I thought it was the room steward.) Apparently I had set off some silent alarm in my room from the combination of the steam of the shower and heat of the hair dryer.

How can they ban cameras and cell phones? Aren't camera's a part of going on vacation?? And your cell? My cell phone comes everywhere with me. What are they thinking??? I too would be upset about my hair straightener.

I hope the other cruise lines don't follow suit. I stopped going on Carnival in 2008 after a ridiculous cruise where they changed out itinerary the day we stepped on the ship (to a less expensive itinerary and gave us a BS reason), and where there was an incident the 2nd to last night where there was a garbage smoke smell in about 30 cabins starting at midnight and they lied to us for over 2 hours about what it was and refused to help us till almost 3 am.

Cruises are supposed to be relaxing and fun. Carnival, you get a big, fat FAIL

The fun ship just took the fun out of its sails. I always bring cell phone and charger, camera and its battery charger,my DHs camera and its charger, hairdryer (try using the blow hose and you'll bring yours too), CPAP machine, kindle and its charger,and a nightlight. Although I haven't brought a strip outlet, it'sa god idea. On my last cruise (not carnival) I also brought 2 european plug adaptors and used the 2 110 and the 2 220 to charge my things. I blow dry my hair in the cabin while my DH is taking a shower. If these items present a saftey hazzard to carnival's ships, I'd rather not put myself at risk. I suggest that Carnival update their electrical status for the safety of all of their guests. Just the suggestion that there many be a saftey issue would send me to another cruise line. There are many other cruise lines that are available for the 21st century electrical items. However, if you like living in a cave and want to leave your cell phone etc. home, then carnival is the answer.

It appears the posters who are making the MOST fuss are the ones with the LEAST knowledge on the subject. I can't believe that after as many times as the updated Carnival list is posted on this thread that posters are STILL complaining about curling irons, fans, and extension cords.

Are you folks Senators and Represetatives? Sounds like the same babble coming out of Washington to me! :)

All the old players are gone...the new breed running CCL seems to have forgotten what the "fun ships" are all about. No hair iron? I couldn't risk it! I could go on and on, but the philosophy at Carnival has certainly shifted. I am a travel agent and an avid cruiser for the past 18 years. Can't really say things are the same as when Bob Dickinson, Vicki Freed, Maurice Zarmoti, etc were there. They built and knew what the fun ship philosphy was all about. Now, I guess they have a bunch of uptight number crunchers running the company who wouldn't know fun if it slapped them in the face.

It is very easy for me.....I will add Carnival to my list of cruise lines I will NOT be going on. And if any others decide to be too restrictive, they will go on the list as well.

Then you will need to find a new adventure for vacations. After a quick check of most of the other cruise line restricted/prohibited/subject to confiscation items, they all are very close, with very little difference.

For cying out loud, did you even read the updated rules Carnival just posted a couple days ago?????????

Archived