new prohibited item list

smd1234

I'm not sure how many times I'm going to have to post this in response to people with inaccurate/incomplete information but I'll do it one more time.

This is the list of prohibited items. PLEASE NOTE that cameras, laptops and darn near EVERYTHING ELSE that anyone has ever brought on board is still permitted:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Morons who don't know anything about Carnival's new policy, yet insist on posting

anyway.

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

Mach...as long as this thread is alive, you will post it! :)

The only other thing Carnival needs to add to the list of prohibited items (I have already taken care of that as you can see) are all the misinformed morons who are still posting about why they are wanting to never cruise Carnival again over something they know absolutely nothing about because they haven't taken the time to research it to understand it!!!

If you won't take the time to find out the facts, then don't cruise I say! That means shorter lines in the buffet for me!

It would be very dissapointing to find out they want to take your camera and battery chargers away before you depart.. what good is a trip without pictures?

Gosh I need another cruise.. but heck, not if I can not bring vacation items.

Nothing in their list is unreasonable. There are "certain" passengers that will try anything and I am sure these are the ones Carnival is most trying to deal with. The curling irons, steamers....... could pose a problem if not used correctly. They are just covering their A**es in case they need to take items away from those that abuse and/or misuse items. The ONLY items I would have a problem with in their list are the cameras and cell phones. I see no problem unless someone is taking pictures in restrooms, changing rooms or something like that.

Well, now that Chief Cruiser has posted the actual rule, it appears to be entirely reasonable and in line with virtually every other cruise line on the planet. Talk about much hysteria over nothing!! Do you really want some bozo with a bottle of tequila and a loaded 357 magnum, overloading the circuits in the stateroom next to yours? I don't.

Because once the ship leaves.......you are under Federal law......

You are not under federal law once outside US national waters. You are under international maritime law; or under the law of the country where you are docked or within their national waters (the distance varies with different countries).

This is why I do not go on CCL. Some of their staterooms do not even have hair dryers so what do you do if they take yours away go with wet flyaway hair to dinner on formal night or pay the salon for that UPDO.

I think I will go on another cruise line that lets me take my hairdryer or curling iron.

Ahhh I get it 79 cruises to date...none of which have been Carnival and this is the reason why:confused: state rooms that only have one plug Jump back over;)

"• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance."

I'm not crazy about a lot of the items on the list (take my iPhone or iPad from my cold dead hands only!) but this one really irks me. I always travel with a musical instrument and I really enjoy finding quiet hidden corners in which I can play. I've never once bothered anyone with my playing, as I take care to be out of the way and play very quietly. I never cruise Carnival, but I am Elite with Princess, and I'm going to be very disappointed if I can no longer carry an instrument onboard.

My wife and I just returned May 16th from a 7 night cruise onboard the Valor. Nothing was said about my wifes $300 flat iron, 1000 watt hair dryer, curling iron, Droid/Ipod etc. etc. etc. as in all things keep your equipment in good repair, don't leave it on, put it up when your done and have a great cruise.

"• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance."

I'm not crazy about a lot of the items on the list (take my iPhone or iPad from my cold dead hands only!) but this one really irks me. I always travel with a musical instrument and I really enjoy finding quiet hidden corners in which I can play. I've never once bothered anyone with my playing' date=' as I take care to be out of the way and play very quietly. I never cruise Carnival, but I am Elite with Princess, and I'm going to be very disappointed if I can no longer carry an instrument onboard.[/quote']

And your instrument is.........

Carnival and the other cruise that they own(Princess, Holland America, etc) are so concerned about fires on board, yet each line above allows passengers to smoke(light up with an open flame-matches) inside their cabins; on the balconies and in may other areas of the ship. Princess already had a huge fire on board caused by a careless smoker.

Maybe they should confiscate matches, cigarette lighters, etc. in order to prevent smoking. Cigarette smoking would still be allowed, but you would just have to be very inventive to light up. Oh, I almost forgot: two sticks and a flint stone will be added to the list!

I think Carnival will end up making this clearer...I'm sure the crazy calls are sinking in at thier customer service dept. I called my PVP and asked him to pass it on to establish a clearer set of guidelines AN/OR make the rules a little less stringent.

bob

What I cannot figure out is why they only have ONE 110v outlet in a cabin. I have cruised 18 times with Carnival, twice with Royal and once with NCL.

Typical cabins (I almost always book a balcony cabin) have one 110v outlet for use. That is why people bring power strips and extension cords.

On the other hand, I have seen multiple 220v outlets in cabins. You would think with the number of ships that set sail from US ports that they would have taken this into consideration especially on the newer ships.

Someone on here told me that the Ecstasy suites do not have hairdryers, but Host Mach says that the Cat. 11 & 12 suites do, indeed, have hair dryers. Why do some people just tell you stuff, when they don't really know?

Have sailed on 2 Fantasy Class ships (Elation & Paradise oceanview). They had no hair dryers. Just ask the room steward & they will get you one. Tom

Speaking as an electrician, surely if the cruise lines are so concerned that either dodgy equipment or too much equipment is going to overload a cabin's circuit, all they have to do is fit re-settable overcurrent devices to each of them. End of problem! If an item short circuits because it is faulty, the "breaker" trips out before any damage is done. These only cost a few bucks each. How much does the ship cost again??????????:D

It frosts my butt that the actions of a few bozos who don't use common sense make life difficult for the rest of us who do.

Like I said, I understand safety regulations. Having a bunch of crap overloading the circuits is dangerous, and subjecting other passengers to that danger is just plain selfish. If I really, really (and truth be told, most of us really, really don't) need all that electronic crap, I can damn well plug it in one at a time. Duh.

NOW... to open yet another can'o ugly worms:

OK... you are not allowed to smoke on airliners. They are worried (and rightly so) about people setting off explosives on airliners by doing dumbass things like lighting your shoes. But you ARE allowed to bring MATCHES in your carry-on. Um...*****?????

If you want to light your shoe bomb, you can have the matches do do it, but they are going to strip search me and mark me as a terrorist because my tube of mascara didn't make it into a ziploc baggie?

Bottom line: If you're going to make regulations, they need to make sense. If you can't have a hair dryer, then you shouldn't be able to smoke in your cabin or on your balcony, either. If they are worried about people lighting things, they shouldn't allow matches.

That said: You will pry my (well under 700 watt) flatiron out of my cold, dead hands.

I am sure that as time goes on that Carnival will make this a lot clearer. If I'm not mistaken Carnival already has hair dryers in most of the cabins on most of thier ships, so why not use those? I don't think they will make a big deal about the cell phones. With the size of the cabins, you may find it a little bit difficult to iron and there ARE careless people who forget to turn their irons off, accidently burn/scortch a rug or table top because they were ironing on the floor or on a table. Can you imagine how much this would cost to keep repairing accidents like this or the accidental fire it might cause? I remember walking into the laundry room to use the iron only to find that the person who just walked out from ironing had left the iron face down on the ironing board. Now that is a fire hazard. What if they were to do the same in thier cabin? There are probably several internal incidents that have presented themselves and caused problems which is also why they may take this precaution. Royal Caribbean does not allow any irons whatsoever on their cruiselines at all, at least Carnival does offer you a place to wash and iron your clothes. As for the curling irons, as long as the wires look to be in good condition and you are not bringing something that you are even scared to plug in half the time at home, there should be no problem. Allow them the time to get the procedure together because I don't think this definetly does not call for an all out walk out. Don't blame Carnival, blame the society of terrioism that has been presenting itself lately that we all have been inconvenienced by. There are too many good things to be had. ;););)

Many of these have already been banned on other cruise lines (we had a travel iron confiscated on Holland America recently).

I don't understand the uproar over hair dryers???? We have been on 10 cruises on 4 cruiselines and ALL ships had hair dryers in the rooms. Do you REALLY need to bring a second one?? I seriously doubt that things will be confiscated from your room if you use things sensibly and safely. BTW, I am a professional firefighter.

Solution should be simple for Carnival. Just publish a CLEAR and CONCISE list of banned items. I think power strips are the biggest issue since there is only one outlet in the cabin and hair dryers are a problem because Carnival's often dont' work well. Just DON'T TELL customers they can bring the items but they will be charged a 15% gratuity based on the value of the item.

Archived