new prohibited item list

smd1234

When you're on a boat out in the middle of the ocean the last thing you want is a fire. One person posted that they hadn't heard about any fires caused by faulty curling irons or hair dryers on a ship yet. Do we actually have to wait for that to happen before we enforce rules such as Carnivals new list of banned items? I would applaud efforts on all cruise lines to ban, search for and confiscate hair dryers and curling irons with nicked cords, exposed wires - oh and you girls who use your hair dryer plugged into one of those thin lamp cord extension cords - you know the 15' long ones so you can be in front of your TV while drying your hair - you're the biggest offenders. Extension cords rated for 300 watts with a 1200 watt hair dryer cranking away for 15 minutes - real smart. Watch for the flash. Cruise ship lines have every right to be concerned and take steps to protect our safety at sea. :D

All the old players are gone...the new breed running CCL seems to have forgotten what the "fun ships" are all about. No hair iron? I couldn't risk it! I could go on and on, but the philosophy at Carnival has certainly shifted. I am a travel agent and an avid cruiser for the past 18 years. Can't really say things are the same as when Bob Dickinson, Vicki Freed, Maurice Zarmoti, etc were there. They built and knew what the fun ship philosphy was all about. Now, I guess they have a bunch of uptight number crunchers running the company who wouldn't know fun if it slapped them in the face.

While I can't comment on any of the behind the scenes type things that I'm sure have changed over the years not only with Carnival, but ALL cruise lines, airlines, bus lines, etc., as a travel agent, you should be more up-to-date and informed on Carnival's policy regarding hair irons NOT being a prohibited item.

Not all change is bad, and certainly not all change is good, but things never stay the same. It is the world we live in today and even as bad as people are beating Carnival up right now for very little reason, cruising is still the best vacation value around.

Most of the postings about what people are willing to give up over an extension cord or fan or what have you is ridiculous. As Bill Gates once said if I am correct, "Life isn't fair; get used to it!"

I gotta get off this thread before I blow a fuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, have you hit the nail on the head!! I have definitely seen a shift in their customer service over the past year. I even wrote a letter to their CEO and asked what was going on (like he would READ it!!!). I have been a Carnival VIP cruiser for several years and I have now shifted to Celebrity. This, after booking and paying the premium price for a SPECIFIC cabin number in a specific location and then being told Carnival still reserves the right to move me!! I immediately cancelled, and they didn't seem to care!!

I am going on my first cruise this month so maybe, just maybe I am voicing my opinion too soon. I think the "list" was created to draw a fine line for the morons that think they need to pack their entire home so they have all the accommodations of home while cruising. Seriously, it's a cruise, go without for a few days..........haven't any of you ever been camping?

After one unbelievably long 4 day cruise on the Carnival Agony, oops I mean Ecstacy this latest news only proves to me that Carnival is, at best, a low class operation on whose decks I will never again trod. Talking about banning cell phones, computers, camera's and say it isn't so, hair implements!! Someone at Carnival has been in a small, windowless room inhaling too many fumes for too long. All the more reason to NEVER book on a Carnival ship again....although more reasons really weren't necessary!:p

What's with all the one-hit wonders back to back? :confused: I'm thinking somebody has too much time on their hands and is creating a bunch of users. That is too odd and coincidental to have like ten posts all in a row for their first posts.

Me thinks something stinks in suburbia.:cool:

Host, seriously, is there a way just to delete these threads? People are reading the first post, not bothering to read anything else and spewing stuff in the end of the thread that is just wrong and getting people riled up all over again. It's never going to stop.

In our Dream cabin, that one outlet was so low on the desk that you could not plug anything that had one of those box type plugs on it without some sort of adapter. That ONE outlet was also a good 10 feet from the bed. I couldn't imagine that someone who needed a CPAP machine would probably need at least a 15 foot cord to comfortably use it in bed, and that is only if you laid on the edge and didn't roll over.

My dh uses a CPAP and we did bring an extention cord, but it wasn't quite long enough. The room steward brought us one of those heavy duty orange ones!

PS: I'm also the one who had the curling iron confiscated..... :rolleyes:

Because once the ship leaves.......you are under Federal law......

Good point, everyone knows whats legal and isnt, ie drugs guns etc.

And can someone tell me why? When the ship leaves we are not entitled to Duty Free prices on grog and ciggies.

I dont understand this for a minute and to be honest, this cruise comming up will probably be my last knowing now the hidden costs involved.

Im not cruising carnival by the way.:p

There isn't any controversy or vagueness. Any electronic equipment and/or rechargable batteries can cause a fire if they are not maintained properly. Carnival simply reserves the right to inspect these things. I'm sure they are quite familiar with how careless people can be.

... but I will agree... I have NEVER seen such a clustering of "single digit" posters on the boards. Is there another page somewhere encouraging everyone to come here?

(unless some of these, as has been theorized, are the same person)

Tom

Ladies: vacation is vacation...relax and let your hair down. Afterall is that not what you are vacationing for :confused: Same goes for electronics...who needs bluetooth etc. on thier vacation. Unless you are still working, ditch all that crap. Relax and enjoy :cool:

For those of you that will not cruise Carnival because of these rules, Woo Hoo....I won't have to deal with your narrow-minded arrogance. My cruise will be that much nicer :cool:

Sue

I'm surprised at how many people need to charge up their cell phone. Do that many people really use their phone on the ship??? I thought it was super expensive to use a cell phone at sea??? I made my whole family leave their cell phones at home! I didn't want a huge bill from my 2 teen girls texting 400 texts per day times 7 days! I only brought my phone for emergencies and I shut it off before we boarded and didn't turn it on again until we disembarked.

Am I misunderstanding the cost? Do people really need to charge their phones that much?

Maggie

While I think some of the things are a bit overboard they are prohibiting, I don't find any of those items something I can't live without. The wife has no problem using the ship hair dryer, she doesn't curl her hair. We don't take our laptop with us or use extension cords. Cell phone gets turned off and put in safe. I don't see an issue for US that would cause a problem.

Its like the prohibiting of Alcohol bringing it on board, that's fine I'm on vacation I'll drink what is on the ship if I want to.

Why is that when I am on vacation, trying to relax, there is someone always on their cell phone within 20 ft talking about their private life as though no one was around. I am tired of sitting and eating, lounging by the pool or even waiting to see the next entertainment and hear anything and everything that is going on in people's lives. On my last trip I found out that one person's sister had a miscarriage, another was on his way to the foot doctor to have surgery, a boyfriend was sleeping with her girlfriend, how many points were scored in the last Laker game, did the neighbor remember to put out the trash, what they had for dinner on the ship yesterday, what size the bathrooms are on the ship, and the best...a girl exclaimed to the person she was talking to the amazment of 20 people around her...she tested negative for herpes....What the heck is all this about...Why does a vacation have to be burdened with the everyday issuses that some of us are trying to leave behind for a few days and relax our mind and body...Yes some of you are saying, "just get up and move." It is a great idea and I have tried that...however the only place I could go to avoid even a little of "everyone's priviate world" is to go and stay in my cabin for the whole trip...Cell phones have a place and their invention has been invaluable for the most part...but why have should society have to be so obsessed that they invade rest of us with their toe fungus....

When you're on a boat out in the middle of the ocean the last thing you want is a fire. One person posted that they hadn't heard about any fires caused by faulty curling irons or hair dryers on a ship yet. Do we actually have to wait for that to happen before we enforce rules such as Carnivals new list of banned items? I would applaud efforts on all cruise lines to ban' date=' search for and confiscate hair dryers and curling irons with nicked cords, exposed wires - oh and you girls who use your hair dryer plugged into one of those thin lamp cord extension cords - you know the 15' long ones so you can be in front of your TV while drying your hair - you're the biggest offenders. Extension cords rated for 300 watts with a 1200 watt hair dryer cranking away for 15 minutes - real smart. Watch for the flash. Cruise ship lines have every right to be concerned and take steps to protect our safety at sea. :D[/quote']

I agree with you ,it seems most people here do not understand

how electricty works , The more power needed , means more

power has to flow through the wiring , which was rated for 1

maybe 2 items at a time . You use more power than the outlet

was designed for , Thus the wiring in the wall gets hot , and that's

how a fire can start in the walls

I agree with you ,it seems most people here do not understand

how electricty works , The more power needed , means more

power has to flow through the wiring , which was rated for 1

maybe 2 items at a time . You use more power than the outlet

was designed for , Thus the wiring in the wall gets hot , and that's

how a fire can start in the walls

(That's what breakers are for) ;)

Tom

My wife and I frequently meet other family members and friends several days before and/or after a cruise. We almost always have items left from or for these gatherings and have never had a problem carrying them onboard. These things are seldom, if ever, even unpacked.. These are things such as personal care items, gifts, and sometimes even small amounts of alcohol. A cruise line trying to implement these much more restrictive rules and regulations will probably need to hire more staff just to deal with the enforcement of them. All cruise lines have had to make strategic cuts to deal with current economic conditions but there will come a point where the cuts an restrictions become so detracting from the cruise experience that it will no longer be the good value it once was. Royal Caribbean's commercialization of Labadee (we were not allowed to walk into the ocean from the beach to snorkel with our own gear) is a prime example of how restrictive rules can ruin what was once a memorable experience. It appears that the time is approaching when we will shift from being frequent cruisers to becoming part of the 'all-inclusive" users group.

Archived