new prohibited item list

smd1234

The biggest safety hazard is allowing guests to smoke, particularly in their stateroom. I think it would be very hypocritical to claim certain safety hazards and allow smoking.

:(

I'm glad I did a lot of cruising over the years, "been there, done that". I'm going for land vacations from now on. They keep building bigger and bigger cruise ships for fewer and fewer passengers! Go figure. :confused:

We are doing the dream...and its just about sold out..dont know what cruise planet you are living on to say the numbers are shrinking for cruisers!

I'm a bit suspicious of Cruise Critic for posting the thread that links to this slam bashing of Carnival, yet allow only RCCL to shine. I've always thought that RCCL has a direct link to CC even though they deny it.:confused:

CC has refused to post links concerning RCCL's lousy smoking policies, so why invite readers to jump on such a terrible Carnival bashing post?:(

Cruise Critic please stop leading people to posts that could cause an uproar. I've traveled just about all the lines including RCCL and Carnival and have enjoyed all my cruises...trusting that the cruiselines are always looking out for my safety.

From a similar & Longer thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1191273}

•Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

The change is a small but important one. The 700 watt restriction has been lifted!

Boy, have you hit the nail on the head!! I have definitely seen a shift in their customer service over the past year. I even wrote a letter to their CEO and asked what was going on (like he would READ it!!!). I have been a Carnival VIP cruiser for several years and I have now shifted to Celebrity. This, after booking and paying the premium price for a SPECIFIC cabin number in a specific location and then being told Carnival still reserves the right to move me!! I immediately cancelled, and they didn't seem to care!!

That is very sad. I wrote an email to the FORMER CEO of NCL, and his witty and almost instantaneous response turned me into an enthusiastic cruiser on his line for at least five subsequent cruises. He is gone now, sadly.

I understand the fact that fire is of major concern on any cruise ship. I also understand the fact that cruise lines do ban items that could cause issues. I personally would appreciate a steward keeping an eye out for me leaving my flat iron plugged in. I don't agree that banning them is the answer. Take it if you find it plugged in, unattended in my cabin. At that point they would be doing us all a favor.

They may have 16 cabins to take care of. Why can't people grow up and take care of themselves, whether you have paid for a vacation or not!

I'm a bit suspicious of Cruise Critic for posting the thread that links to this slam bashing of Carnival, yet allow only RCCL to shine. I've always thought that RCCL has a direct link to CC even though they deny it.:confused:

CC has refused to post links concerning RCCL's lousy smoking policies, so why invite readers to jump on such a terrible Carnival bashing post?:(

Cruise Critic please stop leading people to posts that could cause an uproar. I've traveled just about all the lines including RCCL and Carnival and have enjoyed all my cruises...trusting that the cruiselines are always looking out for my safety.

Gee, I wonder if threads with more traffic generate more revenue for the site.

Aw Shucks, I can't bring my grass or guns. Deal breaker there! The hair dryers in the room work. If your so horrid you need special tools, stay home. You would probably scare the small children anyway. Vacation should mean no need for a power strip. Leave the crap home that's what vacations are for. I think the company protecting the passengers from your old burnt out crap causing a fire is a good idea. You would most likely be on your cell phone to your lawyer from the life boat if anything happened. :D

So, one can only hope that common sense (which I have noticed is NOT all that common anymore) will reign supreme!! As long as you don't leave a curling iron or flat iron hot and unsupervised, hopefully you will be okay. I for one would not cave in to this tactic to have me use the Spa to have my hair done every day!!!

There is a simple answer, vote with your feet and checkbook. Don't book on Carnival!

If their wiring is so undersized as to be unsafe if people connect hair dryers, perhaps the ship should be removed from service for refiting.

Computers, cell phones, cameras? These all draw low power, even if several are connected.

What is the current rating for the outlets? If the hair dryer limit is 700 watts, sounds like perhaps 5 or 10 amps, much less than normal outlets.

Who does carnival think they are???, we want to blow dry our hair or curl our hair they are pushing the wrong buttons with there guests. I used to be a loyal carnival cruiser, not any more there policy is we do not care!! They had a fire on the Imagination a few months ago it had nothing to do with to dry or style your hair then on top of it they have doubled the cost to cruise with them!.....Hey you can find a better deal right now to vacation in florida

Who do you think you are? They own the ships, they make the rules. I bring my own hair dryer and flat iron. Accoriding to the new rules I can bring them, my camera, my laptop, etc. as long as they are in good working condition. Mine are in good working condition. So where is everyone getting that they can't bring on these items? I guess people can't read. Hope you enjoy your trip to Florida.

Back in 1990 was my 1st cruise, on the Carnival Celebration. In my cabin they had 2 110 volt outlets in the cabin and 1 110volt outlet in the bathroom ALONG with their hardwired hairdryer. In 1992, I sailed on the Celebrity Meridian (that was built in the 1960's) and THAT SHIP had 2 outlets in the cabin. I just sailed on the Carnival Dream and they had 1 110volt outlet and 1 220volt outlet in the cabin and NONE in the bathroom. This ship was built in 2009!!! What, is Carnival working in REVERSE?? Everyone on this thread is entitled to their opinion, BUT it seems they (Carnival) are trying to cover the need for Electric Safety by ignoring the poor electric delivery design of their ship!!! My wife uses a CPAP at night, I bring a MiniDV camera that has to be charged overnight and we bring a Digital still camera that has to be charged. Any other vessel we were on we could charge these items with NO problem overnight. These prohibited items won't keep me from cruising Carnival, but the changes I have seen in the past with Carnival have already started to lead me away from them. I have met a lot of idiots on past cruises but can't see anyone bringing an electric device with them that has frayed wires or may look in such poor shape they wouldn't just buy a new one for the cruise.

Read the article , not all of the posts...

No flat iron, :eek:, losing the video camera, etc...and no gurantee of its safe return...and its missing NOT because its been left unattended--it is just deemed "contra-ban"

or the prospect of my husband having his laptop (which he uses for work) taken away etc...

is an absolute deal breaker.

I am not going on a cruise ship to go "camping".

Glad to know about this...

Read the article , not all of the posts...

No flat iron, :eek:, losing the video camera, etc...and no gurantee of its safe return...and its missing NOT because its been left unattended--it is just deemed "contra-ban"

or the prospect of my husband having his laptop (which he uses for work) taken away etc...

is an absolute deal breaker.

I am not going on a cruise ship to go "camping".

Glad to know about this...

I'm not sure how many times I'm going to have to post this in response to people with inaccurate/incomplete information but I'll do it one more time.

This is the list of prohibited items. PLEASE NOTE that cameras, laptops and darn near EVERYTHING ELSE that anyone has ever brought on board is still permitted:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

Once revenue in the photo galleries starts falling - look for the blow dryer/curling iron/flat iron restrictions to be removed ;-)

There is no restriction for hair dryers/curlers/flat irons, etc.

My daughter and I cruised Hawaii in January and for the first time, they took her hair iron. They let me keep mine, which I had gotten at Christmas was still in the box. I asked for an explanation why hers was not considered "safe" and they said it had to have an automatic off. They only knew mine did because it was written on the box, or they would have taken it too! So, do we need to print up use manuals/warranties from the internet, safe all the little booklets? Mine doesn't say it on the actual unit.

Mach -- might it be possible, in the VERY FIRST POST of this thread, to place an update/notice so that people can get "up to speed from the start", rather than reading a few posts and firing off one of their own?

Tom

It seems the problem is too many people are bringing on too many electrical items and plugged into power strips that overload the electrical system. No matter how new the item is, if an electrical system is overloaded it is a fire hazzard. It is the ship's responsibility to keep us safe and we cannot do anything about people who abuse the outlet power in their cabins but the cruise line can. by monitoring the items that are brought aboard.

Archived