new prohibited item list

smd1234

Since they just changed the rules they should not have treated you like this. If people don't go on line and read what is on their website and don't go on cruise critic they will never know about this new rule.

I think they need some time for this new rule to sink in and relax for the next few months until everyone has the new list.

I used to always use a small travel iron, but this time I will not because I know the rules.

Since they just changed the rules they should not have treated you like this. If people don't go on line and read what is on their website and don't go on cruise critic they will never know about this new rule.

I think they need some time for this new rule to sink in and relax for the next few months until everyone has the new list.

I used to always use a small travel iron, but this time I will not because I know the rules.

They have never, to my knowledge, been allowed. They are not part of the NEW list. Only CLOTHES STEAMERS are new to the list.

Tom

Carnival wants to confiscate hair dryers, curlers, and flat irons, as well as cameras so that we have to go to their hair salons and pay the abusive prices they charge for wash & blow dry, and then we will also have to buy all the poor quality photos they take at also very abusive prices....Carnival I never liked you much, now I will definitely not cruise with you.

If other cruise lines follow, then traveling in my own car will once again become my preferred method since I will not be confiscating any of my personal grooming items....

The vagueness of their policy is truly cause for worry, and enough reason to avoid a Carnival Ship! If they can't provide enough outlets to charge your phone, iPod, computer, camera in the room (and none of them do), they should allow power strips at a minimum. The issue of curling irons/straighteners/dryers will cause such an uproar with women (and some men too) that I doubt they could survive it very long. Be specific Carnival, or don't be shocked when the experienced cruisers avoid your ships!

Carnival wants to confiscate hair dryers, curlers, and flat irons, as well as cameras so that we have to go to their hair salons and pay the abusive prices they charge for wash & blow dry, and then we will also have to buy all the poor quality photos they take at also very abusive prices....Carnival I never liked you much, now I will definitely not cruise with you.

If other cruise lines follow, then traveling in my own car will once again become my preferred method since I will not be confiscating any of my personal grooming items....

The vagueness of their policy is truly cause for worry, and enough reason to avoid a Carnival Ship! If they can't provide enough outlets to charge your phone, iPod, computer, camera in the room (and none of them do), they should allow power strips at a minimum. The issue of curling irons/straighteners/dryers will cause such an uproar with women (and some men too) that I doubt they could survive it very long. Be specific Carnival, or don't be shocked when the experienced cruisers avoid your ships!

Carnival does NOT want your hair dryer, fan, camera, iPod, underware and all of the other items that people are getting bent out of shape about...

Once again... for the FIFTH time today here is the list of prohibited items:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

PLEASE read the list closely. The ONLY added item to what was previously prohibited is clothes steamers...

Just returned from the Carnival Destiny a couple of weeks ago....had no problem bringing my over 700 watt hairdryer, my hair straightener, my fan, my cell phone charger, my battery charger, an extention cord and a power cord.....they were all packed in my luggage and made it to my room without a problem. They were not taken away during the trip either....I do unplug everything whenever I leave the room and put it all away.....

I am not sure if I was just lucky or if they have already started to lighten up....but that was my experience.

Have you read the list? You can take any of those things on board they just have to be in working order. Host Mach has posted it about 4-5 times already today. If you can't read what is written don't make assumptions!

— about as hapless and incompetent as the TSA types at the airport who stripsearch granny cause she has a tweezer in her purse.

I'm not going on a cruise again till they make more sense. Period.

YES! This is the exact point I was trying to make. It's not about *what* they ban so much as the fact that rules like these always seem to come with contradictions -- like if we are trying to stop people blowing up things on airplanes, why are people allowed to have matches? The other issue is I am tired of my privacy being invaded by people trying to find out if I have (whatever item), or possibly might have (whatever item), or possibly may have looked at (whatever item) crosseyed at some point. Especially if (whatever item) is a tiny 2" screwdriver used to fix eyeglasses. (Got nailed on this dangerous item in March. Plus a ridiculous debate over whether a solid lipstick is a solid or a Dangerous Gel Substance.)

:confused:Why is it so hard to make rules that make sense?

:confused:Why is it so hard to follow rules that make sense? Cause if you don't, then companies tend to make more rules that don't make sense trying to get you to quit doing whatever bonehead things you are doing to get around the rules.

:confused:Why do people read "you can't have too many electronics plugged into a single outlet, or appliances with frayed cords" into "OH MY GOD MY VACATION IS RUINED?"

(And yes, you will still take away my fire-hazard-safe, not plugged in with anything else, <700 watt flatiron only by prying it out of my cold, dead fingers.) :D

That's me --

The Granny with the Tweezers.

Looks like Carnival is trying to keep up with the inconvenience of airline travel. The professional photographers won't like the reduced business if women cannot fix there hair the way they want because they're missing their grooming aids . So much easier to show up to meal dressed casual with scarf or hat.

Looks like Carnival is trying to keep up with the inconvenience of airline travel. The professional photographers won't like the reduced business if women cannot fix there hair the way they want because they're missing their grooming aids . So much easier to show up to meal dressed casual with scarf or hat.

PLEASE take a close look at this list:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

People....please! What is the problem with the restricted items? There is a hair dryer in the stateroom, power strips are dangerous (even at home), liquor allotments are clearly stated. There are rules in life....please don't think the rules apply to everyone else EXCEPT you. Life can be easy -- just live it honestly.

I can understand a lot of those items. Not too sure what they mean about miss use of cameras or cell phones, unless you are taking offensive pictures or talking on a cell phone while at dinner or in the theater. That would irritate just about anyone.

I think this is the part people are freeking about:

"However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

For some reason, some people seem to ignore the "it's OK if it is used properly and is in good repair" part, and only see "THE FUN POLICE ARE GOING TO TAKE MY STUFF!!!"

If they haven't got it by now, they won't. All you get by banging your head against a brick wall is a big bump on your head and a self-satisfied brick wall.

Host Mach ---

Option 1: Don't you think a lot of this could be "headed off at the pass" by posting something informative and up to date at the beginning of this thread?

** Isn't that within your "powers"? ** Why is this insanity allowed to continue?

I know that you are posting the CORRECT information as often as possible, but most of the posts here are HIT AND RUN, and much of your efforts are for naught I fear.

This is simply turning into a punching bag of sorts!! :rolleyes:

Option 2.... POOF !!!

Tom

Host Mach ---

Option 1: Don't you think a lot of this could be "headed off at the pass" by posting something informative and up to date at the beginning of this thread?

** Isn't that within your "powers"? ** Why is this insanity allowed to continue?

I know that you are posting the CORRECT information as often as possible, but most of the posts here are HIT AND RUN, and much of your efforts are for naught I fear.

This is simply turning into a punching bag of sorts!! :rolleyes:

Option 2.... POOF !!!

Tom

We do not edit posts or threads without the request/permission of the OP so that's out.

There hasn't been anything in the thread that would bring about deletion with the exception of some repetitive posts and they're gone.

I DID change my first post on the sticky thread. It's the latest revised list and it's going to stay there.

We do not edit posts or threads without the request/permission of the OP so that's out.

There hasn't been anything in the thread that would bring about deletion with the exception of some repetitive posts and they're gone.

I DID change my first post on the sticky thread. It's the latest revised list and it's going to stay there.

OK... so if a couple of people get into a character assassination fest, THEN it can go POOF? :D

Come on people --- someone (two actually) needs to rise to the occasion and do everyone a favor!

Tom

Just another reason to sail Royal Caribbean. No problem!

Perhaps not... the RCL list is nearly identical to the Carnival list with the exception that if they confiscate your booze on embarkation it belongs to them. You never see it again.

I'll stick with Carnival.

;)

OMG!!! The whining is still going on??? Mach has put up the list why can't people look at it and realize they can bring the items they need. Just make sure they are in good condition!! Whats the problem here??? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand this!!!

Crappy cruise line to begin. This just adds to it. princess isn't much better.

I go on vacation and have to worry about my camera or ipod

being taken away!

Sound like the Spirit airlines of the cruise business.

I read the article and the cruise lines have every right to ban certain items because they can be fire hazards. Fires aboard ship can be a major problem if you recall what happened on the Star Princess where the fire began in a cabin and another fire on the Crown Princess in a cabin where someone put something they shouldn't have in a trash can. I seriously doubt they will ban a camera; but I can see them banning hair dryers, coffee pots, irons, fans, etc.

This is just another reason not to sail on Carnival. This makes no common sense. We need thing on vacation , just as we do at home. Why would I set foot on a ship, that won't let me have the things I need to enjoy my vacation. As I said. Never have!! Never will..

Way to much confusion....Oh! don't you have to pay to sail with Carnival?

They still do charge don't they? Hummmmm!!!

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

heres something interesting- they dont allow curling irons or hair dryers anymore BUT they will allow smoking in the rooms....or at least they did on the Dream in the Med... what would cause a fire faster??

Archived