new prohibited item list

smd1234

Before there are limits as to what can/can't be plugged into a power strip and limits on how many. You can say it's the ship's designer/architect that's at fault if the problem is adequate generators, and that may be partially true, but if you've ever had a circuit breaker trip or a fuse blow, you know that's only part of the problem. Frayed/old wiring, overload (at the power strip or at the generator), and a host of other possibilities can be to blame.

Hopefully most people exercise care in the use of their electrical items, but for that small percentage of people who don't, the power police will apparently be vigilant aboard Carnival. It's just not a bad idea to try to be proactive about something like this.

Before there are limits as to what can/can't be plugged into a power strip and limits on how many. You can say it's the ship's designer/architect that's at fault if the problem is adequate generators, and that may be partially true, but if you've ever had a circuit breaker trip or a fuse blow, you know that's only part of the problem. Frayed/old wiring, overload (at the power strip or at the generator), and a host of other possibilities can be to blame.

Hopefully most people exercise care in the use of their electrical items, but for that small percentage of people who don't, the power police will apparently be vigilant aboard Carnival. It's just not a bad idea to try to be proactive about something like this.

Agreed... RCCL has a limit of 1500 watts for any electrical item brought on board and it appears that Carnival is actually more generous in this regard...

:)

I would expect no more from Carnival. In my one and only cruise on Carnival, my family was greated with smiles as we boarded and like sheep the rest of the cruise. Many of the crew were merely aloof; some were downright rude. A few even hostile.

It's just Carnival. We now sail Royal Caribbean.

...and you hang out on the Carnival message boards like a kid looking through the window of a party in hasn't been invited to......sounds like Carnival envy to me;)

Are you kidding? I was on the Dream a couple of weeks ago and I think I saw a sign advertizing a new Electronics Store! You will be able to buy anything you want - fans, hairdryers, curling irons, pay-as-you-go cell phones, extension cords, electric frying pans, coffee makers, electric shavers, microwave ovens....why do you think they would allow you to bring this stuff on board when they can sell it to you and make more money?

:mad:We just returned from a Carnival Cruise in the Caribbean' date=' and I can tell you there is more risk from all the smoking than from all the devices that are brought on board. Why isn't Carnival concerned about that? They even let people smoke in their cabins![/quote']

Will you people give it up with the smoking complaints? In one breath you advocate more rules for Smokers then in another you complain about more rules for YOU. Even when it has been said over and over there are not even any big rule changes. It is this attitude that "it's all about me" that causes Carnival to have to post these rules in the first place. In the grand scheme of things your ipod, cellphone, hair dryers, and etc are not even all that important. Unless, after you set the ship on fire with your raggedy hair appliances, you can cling to them in the water while you wait for rescue. Maybe use them as a floatation devices.

Are you kidding? I was on the Dream a couple of weeks ago and I think I saw a sign advertizing a new Electronics Store! You will be able to buy anything you want - fans, hairdryers, curling irons, pay-as-you-go cell phones, extension cords, electric frying pans, coffee makers, electric shavers, microwave ovens....why do you think they would allow you to bring this stuff on board when they can sell it to you and make more money?

Alas, you did not......but you already know this because you exist in 400 different aliases with Carnival envy. We were on the Dream and have over 700 ship photos taken. With that, signs, stores, everything. Carnival sells pretty much the same on all it's ships, but since you only cruise RC, you wouldn't know that.......

I'm very glad that you said 'I think I saw a sign...' as otherwise I would have to call you a liar. I will GUARANTEE you that Carnival will not be selling microwave ovens, frying pans and the like on the ships.

You need to go back to the drawing board and rethink this post...

The problem is not improperly built ships. The electical generators on these ships can generate enough power to run a small town. Lack of voltage/amperage is not the issue.

Cruisers bringing electrical items that are in poor reparir, have frayed cords, taped connections, walking out of the state room with 5 things plugged into a power strips, etc is the problem.

I have no problem with your argument that more outlets or amenities are needed. That is a purely subjective thought and you can argue that all day if you wish. The amount of power furnished by the ship is fact.

The first step to solving a problem is identify the problem correctly. :)

The problem is Canrival did not specifically state the problem withbringing laptops, cellphones, etc. is items in poor condition.This opens the door to anyones interpretation when you call them "items of concern." They need to define why they are items of concern.

What if Joe "rent-a-cop" screening decides he likes my Blackberry or laptop and wants to confiscate it or for that matter, someone on the ship? So at the end of the cruise it has mysteriously disappeared. Do you honestly think Carnival is going to be responsible? Having worked with security at sporting events and concerts, I can tell you they need strict guidelines or you are asking for trouble. People have recourse when something goes wrong at an event, We have all read stories on this board about cruiselines inabitlity to resolve issues in a satisfactory manner which is why people are up in arms over the wording. Lack of definition takes Carnival off the hook if one of their employees is less than honest.

The problem is Canrival did not specifically state the problem withbringing laptops, cellphones, etc. is items in poor condition.This opens the door to anyones interpretation when you call them "items of concern." They need to define why they are items of concern.

What if Joe "rent-a-cop" screening decides he likes my Blackberry or laptop and wants to confiscate it or for that matter, someone on the ship? So at the end of the cruise it has mysteriously disappeared. Do you honestly think Carnival is going to be responsible? Having worked with security at sporting events and concerts, I can tell you they need strict guidelines or you are asking for trouble. People have recourse when something goes wrong at an event, We have all read stories on this board about cruiselines inabitlity to resolve issues in a satisfactory manner which is why people are up in arms over the wording. Lack of definition takes Carnival off the hook if one of their employees is less than honest.

I believe that it's not so much a question of honesty as it is being uninformed.

There's a fairly large meeting in Miami today and I've asked that this issue be addressed. It seems that the real problem is with folks making the wrong decision for the right reasons.

I'm very glad that you said 'I think I saw a sign...' as otherwise I would have to call you a liar. I will GUARANTEE you that Carnival will not be selling microwave ovens, frying pans and the like on the ships.

You need to go back to the drawing board and rethink this post...

Darn, I wanted to buy a microwave!!! :rolleyes:

That's a good one. Thanks for the laugh.

I believe that it's not so much a question of honesty as it is being uninformed.

There's a fairly large meeting in Miami today and I've asked that this issue be addressed. It seems that the real problem is with folks making the wrong decision for the right reasons.

I have to agree, but in a day when a Federal Cop at a military installation is arrested because he was a gang member who committed two murders, you have to raise questions on how well employees are screened. Mind you the installation in question has alphabet clearance type of work. The individual was convicted based on DNA evidence.

Most people are honest. We have never had a problem on Carnival. Carnival employees have always been honest, helpful and outstanding. Also, Carnival is not responsible for the security screeners. They are an outside company. Just looking for a little clarification.

I have to agree, but in a day when a Federal Cop at a military installation is arrested because he was a gang member who committed two murders, you have to raise questions on how well employees are screened. Mind you the installation in question has alphabet clearance type of work. The individual was convicted based on DNA evidence.

Most people are honest. We have never had a problem on Carnival. Carnival employees have always been honest, helpful and outstanding. Also, Carnival is not responsible for the security screeners. They are an outside company. Just looking for a little clarification.

Friends of mine have been hired at Carnival and their sister lines and I can tell you that the background check is very thorough.

That's not to say that someone that passes the screening can't do something bad but I can tell you that Carnival is as diligent as they can be...

I have to wonder why one would even be on this board that doesn't sail Carnival? What purpose do you have over here other than to try to ruffle Carnival fans feathers?

First, I can post to any board I choose, and my "purpose" for posting is because, usually when one cruise line attempts something, another one might attempt to follow suit. Obvoiusly with your lack of cruise experience, you didn't figure it out yet, same goes for things like fuel surcharges, port fees and other items some cruise lines like to pass onto their customers. In my two prevoius Carnival cruises, it was people with attitudes like yours, that made the experience less than it could be.

First, I can post to any board I choose, and my "purpose" for posting is because, usually when one cruise line attempts something, another one might attempt to follow suit. Obvoiusly with your lack of cruise experience, you didn't figure it out yet, same goes for things like fuel surcharges, port fees and other items some cruise lines like to pass onto their customers. In my two prevoius Carnival cruises, it was people with attitudes like yours, that made the experience less than it could be.

Now there's the usual warm friendly always positive attitude we always see here:cool:

If Carnival is going to make a big deal out of electronic stuff, find another cruise line! No problem. I cruised with Carnival one time and that was enough. There are too many cruise lines begging for your business to waste any energy on this issue.

Retired guy

If Carnival is going to make a big deal out of electronic stuff, find another cruise line! No problem. I cruised with Carnival one time and that was enough. There are too many cruise lines begging for your business to waste any energy on this issue.

Retired guy

....or waste any time on the Carnival message boards, but it is amazing how much time people with under single digit posts waste on Carnival's message boards when the don't cruise on Carnival..........and they just recently joined and the first message boards they post on is Carnival.....and if you check, they have never posted on a roll call, or even a message board for another cruise line......Carnival envy.....draws them all in

....or waste any time on the Carnival message boards, but it is amazing how much time people with under single digit posts waste on Carnival's message boards when the don't cruise on Carnival..........and they just recently joined and the first message boards they post on is Carnival.....and if you check, they have never posted on a roll call, or even a message board for another cruise line......Carnival envy.....draws them all in

God, it's like reinventing the wheel over here. EVERY person here had a first post. Some of us had a dozen cruises under our belts before the internet or cc was invented. Some of us don't choose to post on every thread even if -- especially if --we have nothing to add.

Those who think that the depth of a person's wisdom is somehow correlated with their post count should go over to NCL and check out some of the posts from a 20,000 post wonder who typically says she "doesn't know" this or that, but wants to just say she agrees or doesn't. One of my favorites of her posts is to point out that someone else has already said something better, which is usually very true.

Hey guys you are sooo right. I am new to this site today! And did not realize I was on a Carnival board. I was just reading the threads and that one got my goat. So I just jumped in:)

Carnival is a great product, I am not knocking it. I was just commenting on the restrictions as others have as well. Have a great weekend!!!

And still liten up :)

I guess I am too much of an engineer but my opinion is

1. No power strips.

But let everyone know how may outlets you have and where.

2. Allow any electrical item.

But put a maximum on per item wattage, and a maximum number of items (regardless of wattage).

Net result an individual could decide what they can bring, or even if the want to go at all....

Archived