new prohibited item list

smd1234

Some of us who choose to have a softer look may just have to sail with Royal Caribbean.

You're joshing around right?

Because I'm sure you've read the latest info in regards to curling irons and whatnot that says as long as the cord isn't frayed and in good condition you can take your straightener, curling iron, etc.

You're joshing around right?

Because I'm sure you've read the latest info in regards to curling irons and whatnot that says as long as the cord isn't frayed and in good condition you can take your straightener, curling iron, etc.

Shhhhh! Don't interrupt the witch session..:D

We just got home on Sunday from Carnival Victory out of San Juan. I had one item removed from my luggage. It was a BRAND NEW iron (for clothing.) It was returned to me on the morning of debarkation. I had a brand new 5" fan (still in the box) in my carry-on and they took it from me at security during embarkation. It was not returned to me. Thankfully our room was comfortable and I managed to sleep very well without it. I would have liked my dining room attire to be pressed but after the first day or two, most of the wrinkles were minor...

All in all, it was a fantastic week. Think about it, if these small things are our biggest problems, then we should consider ourselves very blessed!!

Wow, I should count my blessings! We sailed May 22-29 on the Dream. I always have to sleep with a box fan (which takes up an entire suitcase). I've sailed on the Glory and now the Dream with the box fan, no problems at all. In fact, our cabin steward brought me an extension cord so I could put the fan on "my side" of the bed.

You are so right--if these are our biggest problems, we are blessed! :)

we just got back from a Carnival cruise. We took hair dryers, straighteners, cell phones, etc. Nothing was said. We usually left these items clearly visible on the top of the cabinet in our room - no problem.

And if you want to slip booze on board, it's not that difficult. Use your imagination... :)

i didnt have any problems. i brought a hair straightner and it was fine. my question is, is royal caribbean doing this same thing? i talked to somebody at the airport that was on oasis of the seas (we were on the destiny but flew in and out of fort lauderdale) and she told me that the cruise line (RCCL) took her power strip, curling iron and and hair dryer which were both bought new...i was considering giving rccl a try but not if i cant take hair products like that

i didnt have any problems. i brought a hair straightner and it was fine. my question is, is royal caribbean doing this same thing? i talked to somebody at the airport that was on oasis of the seas (we were on the destiny but flew in and out of fort lauderdale) and she told me that the cruise line (RCCL) took her power strip, curling iron and and hair dryer which were both bought new...i was considering giving rccl a try but not if i cant take hair products like that

I don't believe that is true, I called RCL and they said you can bring a cruling iron, don't need hair dryer as they have them in the bathroom. I will be on Oasis July 3 and will comment back. We have cruised RCL many times and have never had any problems of what I have been reading. Also, people just off RCL and Carnival have said they have had no problems.

Then why, oh why are are you lurking on the Carnival board? If you don't like Carnival, go to the boards of the lines you love and leave us alone.

AND, just to add, someone needs to put their glasses on before they read.

Carnival never banned cameras or curling irons.

What about this statement?

4. BAGGAGE, PERSONAL PROPERTY, PROHIBITED ITEMS, LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

(a) Each fully paid adult Guest will be allowed a reasonable amount of luggage on board containing their personal belongings. Luggage means only trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers and bundles with their contents consisting of only such wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar personal effects as are necessary and appropriate for the purpose of the journey.

b) No tools of trade, household goods, presents and/or property of others, jewelry, money, cameras, documents, valuables of any description including but not limited to such articles as are described in Title 46 of the United States Code section 30503 shall be carried except under and subject to the terms of a special written contract or Bill of Lading entered into with Carnival prior to embarkation upon application of the Guest. The Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container presented by him as baggage hereunder, and if any such articles are shipped in the Guest’s baggage in breach of this warranty, no liability for negligence, gross or ordinary, shall attach to Carnival for any loss or damage thereto.

the rumor mill is going wild! I have been on RCCL many times, including this past April, and I've never heard of any inspection of confiscations of hair appliances. I would take all stories with a grain of salt and only believe what the cruise lines tell you.

That being said, I don't believe any cruise ship allows irons or anything with an open flame ( candles of any kind ). I say thank goodness - just keep me safe. We should be thanking the cruise lines for making safety a priority...

Believe only what the cruise lines tell you - bottom line...........

What about this statement?

4. BAGGAGE, PERSONAL PROPERTY, PROHIBITED ITEMS, LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

(a) Each fully paid adult Guest will be allowed a reasonable amount of luggage on board containing their personal belongings. Luggage means only trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers and bundles with their contents consisting of only such wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar personal effects as are necessary and appropriate for the purpose of the journey.

b) No tools of trade, household goods, presents and/or property of others, jewelry, money, cameras, documents, valuables of any description including but not limited to such articles as are described in Title 46 of the United States Code section 30503 shall be carried except under and subject to the terms of a special written contract or Bill of Lading entered into with Carnival prior to embarkation upon application of the Guest. The Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container presented by him as baggage hereunder, and if any such articles are shipped in the Guest’s baggage in breach of this warranty, no liability for negligence, gross or ordinary, shall attach to Carnival for any loss or damage thereto.

It means you can't bring items on that you are going to sell, only personal items. It says if you bring items not for personal use have a Bill of Lading or contract with Carnival. It is plain language, obviously you have not had a company and know the terminology. Call 1-800-carnival and they will explain it to you.

... Call 1-800-carnival and they will explain it to you.

While seemingly good advice, unfortunately you can't rely on what some random (typically ill-informed) individual at 1-800-Car-niva will tell you. Granted, they may be correct - but that's no matter. It all depends on the interpretation when at the port by the people scanning luggage and carry on articles. We have never had any problems, and recently only a few have - but that was mainly during a time of exceptionally poor top to bottom communication at Carnival. Hopefully most of those problems have been addressed.

Tom

While seemingly good advice, unfortunately you can't rely on what some random (typically ill-informed) individual at 1-800-Car-niva will tell you. Granted, they may be correct - but that's no matter. It all depends on the interpretation when at the port by the people scanning luggage and carry on articles. We have never had any problems, and recently only a few have - but that was mainly during a time of exceptionally poor top to bottom communication at Carnival. Hopefully most of those problems have been addressed.

Tom

That was kind of what I was going for, the copy I posted is from the back of the boarding paperwork. If read wrong, it does say you can not bring, camera's, money, jewelry on the cruise. and is not clear it is talking about for resale or shipping. Unless you know what (Title 46 of the United States Code section 30503 ) is about.

It does not mater to me, I am not selling anything.

It means you can't bring items on that you are going to sell, only personal items. It says if you bring items not for personal use have a Bill of Lading or contract with Carnival. It is plain language, obviously you have not had a company and know the terminology. Call 1-800-carnival and they will explain it to you.

yea real "plain language" I don't think they would explain it any better than you did.

Actually it means you can not ship items without the Bill of Lading or Contract with Carnival.

That was kind of what I was going for, the copy I posted is from the back of the boarding paperwork. If read wrong, it does say you can not bring, camera's, money, jewelry on the cruise. and is not clear it is talking about for resale or shipping. Unless you know what (Title 46 of the United States Code section 30503 ) is about.

The money they are referring to is $2.00 bills!!!:p:D

I read that as well....It is worded poorly in the Carnival contract. It refers to checked bags...If you check a bag with a Cruise line, Airline or Train...and they loose your bag with valuables in it, they are not liable.

§ 30503. Declaration of nature and value of goods

(a) In General.— If a shipper of an item named in subsection (b), contained in a parcel, package, or trunk, loads the item as freight or baggage on a vessel, without at the time of loading giving to the person receiving the item a written notice of the true character and value of the item and having that information entered on the bill of lading, the owner and master of the vessel are not liable as carriers. The owner and master are not liable beyond the value entered on the bill of lading.

(b) Items.— The items referred to in subsection (a) are precious metals, gold or silver plated articles, precious stones, jewelry, trinkets, watches, clocks, glass, china, coins, bills, securities, printings, engravings, pictures, stamps, maps, papers, silks, furs, lace, and similar items of high value and small size

• 6 months later...
Just another reason why NOT to cruise Carnival... well that and the "serving mac and cheese" as a side dish in the formal dining room. Really now !!! how unimpressive !!

Well.. I had a terrific Mac-n-Cheese at Bobby Flay (Borgata in Atlantic City) a few years back -- so it can be a trendy/tasty side!

BTW - there is not a "formal" dining room. Though on a couple of nights the suggested attire is "cruise elegant" (whatever that means)! :rolleyes:

Tom

And you gotta love this one:

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Almost every kid I see has these. Are they gonna be ripping kid's shoes off in the terminal and throwing them into the water???? They are really going overboard with some of these stupid rules.

This is outrageous and I will not cruise with Carnival again until they get rid of these vague and stupid rules. I need a power strip to charge my camera, camcorder, netbook, etc. overnight.

LOL! I think you are joking, but in case you aren't...

Did you check the Carnival website for the most accurate information? Power strips or extensions cords are certainly allowed, as long as they aren't frayed or othewise seem hazardous. As are curling irons, flat irons, etc. ;)

Just another reason why NOT to cruise Carnival... well that and the "serving mac and cheese" as a side dish in the formal dining room. Really now !!! how unimpressive !!

I see the Royal Champions program has started up again. :rolleyes:

And you gotta love this one:

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Almost every kid I see has these. Are they gonna be ripping kid's shoes off in the terminal and throwing them into the water???? They are really going overboard with some of these stupid rules.

Can't think of anything better then turfing them overboard. They are a hazard.

It will be a very, very bad cruise if I can not take my own travel hair dryer nor hair straightener. I will end up looking like Monica (Friends) on that episode where they went to the Bahamas and she had a really, really, bad hair day.

My husband will be a very miserable guy having to put up with me with that kind of hair. :eek:

It will be a very, very bad cruise if I can not take my own travel hair dryer nor hair straightener. I will end up looking like Monica (Friends) on that episode where they went to the Bahamas and she had a really, really, bad hair day.

My husband will be a very miserable guy having to put up with me with that kind of hair. :eek:

Carnival prohibits any guest from looking like that! I'm sure it is in the contract. Thus, they absolutely allow hair dryers, straighteners and the like. :)

Archived