new prohibited item list

smd1234

Simple answer to everyone concerned is dont cruise with any line that imposes these unpopular restrictions. The trouble all stems from the evergrowing popularity of cruising and therefore all shipping lines are getting too bold and cocky, knowing they can get away with so much more than a few years ago. Worst of recent impositions is compulsory tips on a daily basis at exhorbitant levels set by them, quite often for crappy service such as we had for 2 weeks with MSC in their dining room and other bar areas too which also charge an extra 15% on top for drinks. Little wonder they dont want alcohol brought on board, you now get slugged crazy prices for booze that they buy tax free. Also what about the cost of photos ? absolute madness designed for gullible 1st time cruisers. Thats it for now, we will still cruise but very selective of shipping lines.

I totally don't get the travel iron thing....

Why would I want to iron clothes on my vacation?????

I don't iron clothes at home -- a little Downy wrinkle relaxer and I'm good to go.

Better wrinkles in my clothes than wrinkles on my face...:D

Did you not read Mach's multiple posts listing all the items and what can and cannot be taken? You can take your camera, as long as the charger does not have a frayed cord. Geez wish people would read already with out jumping to conclusions. Don't know how old you are but I qualify for Social Security and I don't find Carnival too young. Love having the young people around! Happy sailing wherever you land.:)

Sorry but most people with cameras, laptops and cellphones have decent chargers. The issue is the wording. There are no set rules on who or for what reasong they can confiscate these items. The wording is too nebulous. It can be interpreted any way one wishes.

Well, I never thought I would like Carnival- too young for me, I think. Maybe if we had small children or were into partying - now I KNOW i wouldn't want to cruise with them. The hair dryer isn't an issue for me- wash-n-wear hair. But how can they take someone's camera ???

I was shocked when I started readding about the prohibited items. We were recently on Carnival and had none of this happen. I called Carnival yesterday and they said this is not true. If you have frayed cords, or broken wires they take and give back at end of cruise. Said they don't take cameras from you.:confused:

Did you not read Mach's multiple posts listing all the items and what can and cannot be taken? You can take your camera, as long as the charger does not have a frayed cord. Geez wish people would read already with out jumping to conclusions. Don't know how old you are but I qualify for Social Security and I don't find Carnival too young. Love having the young people around! Happy sailing wherever you land.:)

We also are in our 60's and have ctuised over 20 times with them. We are young at heart and love Carnival. We don't care for the 3 day specials as it seems to draw wild animals onboard. You get what you pay for, we do southern and eastern caribbean and love it. Started with their first ship Mardi Gras. I don't understand how the statements I have been reading have snowballed. Go to the source, the cruise line, not the few statements on these boards. Maybe I am wrong, hope not. If you were truely a dedicated cruiser, traveling 2-3 times per year you would know this is not true. As I stated earlier, we have cruised every year with Carnival and had no problems and have not heard any personally. We sail with RCL and then Carnival in Dec, will let everyone know. Again, I don't think there is anything to this!

The problem is, who decides if anything is in good condition or not! My daughters small portable fan was taken away (fairly new) and no one could say why it was a safety issue but no she couldn't have it back. Until we explained it was for health reasons. But others in the group got buy and theirs were not as new as my daughter's.

If I board their ship and they take my hair appliances away, then I'm going to ruin someone else's night by walking into the dinning room with my new messy hair look :)

We just got home on Sunday from Carnival Victory out of San Juan. I had one item removed from my luggage. It was a BRAND NEW iron (for clothing.) It was returned to me on the morning of debarkation. I had a brand new 5" fan (still in the box) in my carry-on and they took it from me at security during embarkation. It was not returned to me. Thankfully our room was comfortable and I managed to sleep very well without it. I would have liked my dining room attire to be pressed but after the first day or two, most of the wrinkles were minor...

All in all, it was a fantastic week. Think about it, if these small things are our biggest problems, then we should consider ourselves very blessed!!

We just got home on Sunday from Carnival Victory out of San Juan. I had one item removed from my luggage. It was a BRAND NEW iron (for clothing.) It was returned to me on the morning of debarkation. I had a brand new 5" fan (still in the box) in my carry-on and they took it from me at security during embarkation. It was not returned to me. Thankfully our room was comfortable and I managed to sleep very well without it. I would have liked my dining room attire to be pressed but after the first day or two, most of the wrinkles were minor...

All in all, it was a fantastic week. Think about it, if these small things are our biggest problems, then we should consider ourselves very blessed!!

It doesn't matter if the iron is new or old. It's explicitely stated that irons are banned.

True -- but why did they STEAL his fan? :mad:

Tom

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm....

If they take away your flat iron and your curling iron, then you'd be "forced" into going to their hair salon. Looks like a way to increase revenue, huh? Have you ever gone to the hair salon onboard? I did... it cost me $40 to have my hair styled... and it's short... VERY short. No wash... just a style. They used a curling iron and hair spray. That's it. Hmmmmmmmmm..... :confused:

We just got home on Sunday from Carnival Victory out of San Juan. I had a brand new 5" fan (still in the box) in my carry-on and they took it from me at security during embarkation. It was not returned to me.

Why would they take a BRAND NEW fan that was still in its box?? Being brand new, it would have to be in good working condition and not have a frayed cord. Did they give you an answer why it wasn't returned to you? :mad:

Why would they take a BRAND NEW fan that was still in its box?? Being brand new' date=' it would have to be in good working condition and not have a frayed cord. Did they give you an answer why it wasn't returned to you?[/color'] :mad:

My guess is that Carnival has simply not done a good job in disseminating the details of the updated list. The job of screeners is to "find things". Once they have been put on the trail, it may take some time to reel them back in! :eek:

Tom

This will be simple for me. My DH and I will never cruise on Carnival. Period.

RCCL has a much more all encompassing rule "and other items that COULD interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environmnet of our guest and crew". That really leaves a lot to interpretation. But neither RCCL or CCL rules would keep me off of the ships.

Then why, oh why are are you lurking on the Carnival board? If you don't like Carnival, go to the boards of the lines you love and leave us alone.

AND, just to add, someone needs to put their glasses on before they read.

Carnival never banned cameras or curling irons.

You will be missing out on a lot of fun. They do provide hair dryers in the cabins and some people can use cell phones if you have the proper package.

Some ships have hair dryers and some don't:(

But who wants to use a cell phone while on vacation???? The whole purpose is to get away from them.

Don't even go there.:mad:

Well, I never thought I would like Carnival- too young for me, I think. Maybe if we had small children or were into partying - now I KNOW i wouldn't want to cruise with them. The hair dryer isn't an issue for me- wash-n-wear hair. But how can they take someone's camera ???

They took her power strip so she couldn't charge the batteries in her camera. Sheeeeeesh. This is how rumours get started.:mad:

She hasn't even looked at RCCL policy on this. She just wanted to bash a cruise line she has never been on. Very Petty.

She hasn't even looked at RCCL policy on this. She just wanted to bash a cruise line she has never been on. Very Petty.

The first time we sailed on Carnival Mardi Gras, they did not have plugs for hair dryer in the room. All ladies had to go to a special room down the hall to dry and curl hair. It was interesting walking down the hall with curlers in and in bathrobes. We then had to wait our turn for a plug. Sometimes the line got pretty long.

After having cruised over 35 times since the beginning of Cruising, The Mardi Gras first for Carnival. We have NEVER had a problem with extension cords, hair dryers, curling irons, cameras, etc. We go on Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL and Carnival. Every ship in the past 5 years have hair dryers in the bathroom. I take my culrling iron --no problem. We love all of these lines. As on any line you pay for what you get as far as guests go. If you pay $300 you will have wild ones on a short 3-5 day cruise. Pay more and go to the Southern or Eastern Caribbean and you will not have many wild ones, that includes European cruises also. What I think is bad is when someone who has not sailed with a line bashes them and they haven't sailed on them. My husband and I are in our mid 60's and like to have fun. We are not fuddy duddies!! We know how to act and how to dress on a cruise, and when it is time to quit drinking and go to our cabin, as MOST people do know they go to bed. People who get argumentative on these boards and put down a cruise line, need to gett off of Cruise Critic. If they have sailed and have a specific problem, then fine say what it is. When I first read about all of the supposedly confiscation of items, I was really alarmed. I called Carnival after I read their rules on the contract. It has not really changed at all. We are going on Carnival in Dec. and plan to have a wonderful time. We have daughters in their 30's that are going with friends and we all will have fun. You who haven't tried it and are opinionated are the one who are losing out on soooo much fun. Actually, so far, we feel that Carnival has the best entertainment on the seas. Will let you know after going on the Oasis of The Seas in 4 weeks, have heard it is great.

They took her power strip so she couldn't charge the batteries in her camera. Sheeeeeesh. This is how rumours get started.:mad:

Even without a power strip she could charge her batteries. It doesn't take that long. We have sailed and forgot a power strip, no problem, plugged it in when other items are charged.

Even without a power strip she could charge her batteries. It doesn't take that long. We have sailed and forgot a power strip, no problem, plugged it in when other items are charged.

Stop being reasonable and logical. This is no place for logic and reason.

We are going on Carnival in Dec. and plan to have a wonderful time. We have daughters in their 30's that are going with friends and we all will have fun. You who haven't tried it and are opinionated are the one who are losing out on soooo much fun. Actually, so far, we feel that Carnival has the best entertainment on the seas. Will let you know after going on the Oasis of The Seas in 4 weeks, have heard it is great.

You took the words right out of my mouth! You're the kind of person we love to cruise with and we always go with a crowd! Plus... we have a private party with all those on our Cruise Critic Roll Call blog. We too, are going on Carnival in December... We'll be on the Miracle, leaving Ft. Lauderdale on December 13th. Wish you were going with us! We're also in our 60's and love to party. But we use common sense too. I've read some of the "reviews" people have left and they just tear the cruise line to pieces. There are no perfect cruises but... a cruise is what you make it. If you want to have fun, you will. If you want to nit pick... you'll LOOK for things to nit pick about. Just stay off my cruise ship! I'm there to enjoy myself!

Yay to you, Mary!! Have a wonderful cruise on the Oasis!! That's the one I want to go on next year!! What type of cabin did you get?

Thanks again...

Bette

Archived