new prohibited item list

smd1234

Well all I can say is that we will be traveling on the Carnival Victory out of San Juan, Puerto Rico on July 4th, and I guarantee my fiancee will be packing a hair dryer. We will also have our cell phones, and MP3 players with us. We'll see how it goes. We have traveled with Carnival on two previous cruises, and absolutely LOVED Carnival and their service. I cannot imagine that they would ingratiate their guests by being overly stupid with this new rule. If so, they risk losing a LOT of business.

I can guarantee you if you review the list you will see that NONE of the items you mentioned will be taken away unless the cords are visibly damaged or you are using them in an unsafe for example leaving a curling iron or straighter plugged in after leaving the room and even then they will just unplug it for you. I don't know how all this false information around cameras and what not being taken away is getting around, the list on carnival is very clear.

I don't think people should be panicking!

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not exceed 700 watts and should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

LOL! Who's is going to determine if they pose a fire hazard:confused: Boy that has cover my butt written all over it.........

Did you just realize that now? Yes it is a cover your butt world. And so long as we have a bunch of ambulance chasing lawyers running things it will continue this way....

Anyway I wish all a happy next cruise while suggesting you take a few minutes to read the fine print on your cruise contracts.

I can guarantee you if you review the list you will see that NONE of the items you mentioned will be taken away unless the cords are visibly damaged or you are using them in an unsafe for example leaving a curling iron or straighter plugged in after leaving the room and even then they will just unplug it for you. I don't know how all this false information around cameras and what not being taken away is getting around, the list on carnival is very clear.

I don't think people should be panicking!

Holy smoke! Someone HAS read my posts!!

Thank you!!

:)

anyone

Can someone give final answer on bringing wine or Champagne on board in carryons at Embarkation port( Charleston). Carnival says all over its sites its OK, but then i see so much stuff being surrendered as contraband. We leaving in few days and planed on taking on one bottle each in carryon, but i dont want to get in any arguments with Security they are so unreasonable, and really dont care whats written anywhere on Carnivals web site. So has anyone had any experience lately.

Thanks

Eric

After 26 cruises, it is now becoming much TOO HARD to continue. It used to be so easy. So much trouble now to change a name on a cabin, restricted on what you can bring aboard and deal with customer service that has become not really helpful but uninformed and in some cases sarcastic when you ask a question. What is even more disheartening, was that in the past, after you final payment was made, it was so exciting just to walk on the ship, to begin a fun vacation. Now, however, you have to worry about what the cruise line is going to remove from your luggage. Just too hard........

OMG!!!!! I leave those things at home when I am on vacation!!!!!!!!!

Goody for you. Did it ever occur to you that some people can not? A business problem, a dying relative, a kid in the hospital, coordination of schedules for activities on return...these and many other events make it impossible for many people to just cut themselves off from the world for a week or more at a time. It is nice that you can, but would you deny them the right to take a cruise within the constraints of having to connect to their home lives periodically? How about a little compassion for those less fortunate than yourself, or at least with more complicated lives.

After 26 cruises, it is now becoming much TOO HARD to continue. It used to be so easy. So much trouble now to change a name on a cabin, restricted on what you can bring aboard and deal with customer service that has become not really helpful but uninformed and in some cases sarcastic when you ask a question. What is even more disheartening, was that in the past, after you final payment was made, it was so exciting just to walk on the ship, to begin a fun vacation. Now, however, you have to worry about what the cruise line is going to remove from your luggage. Just too hard........

Boy, that does sound taxing....

That might work but I really can't buy a new hair dryer and straightener every time I cruise.

this is starting to get kinda silly

Maybe they think that more people would be forced to have their hair done on board, if they don't have their own styling tools. More money for the ships coffers......

Holy smoke! Someone HAS read my posts!!

Thank you!!

:)

They read them but lack the comprehension to understand them. Don't feel bad, our dog sits next to the computer while I am online.........he understands them.....he just can't type....he says thank you (even though he fully understands he is a Carnival prohibited item).

I think Carnival has the right to protect its passengers and its billion dollar ships. Sadly, some folks don't have enough common sense to know what is a hazard and what isn't. If you have ever been involved in a fire, or other serious event at sea, you understand the position the cruise line has taken. As the old saying goes (Its better to err on the side of caution...) Some people always try to push the enlevope; haven't we all seen people sneaking a case of Coke or beer on board, or several extra bottles in their luggage. Although that may not endanger anybody, what else don't we see. I realize in the past most Carnival personnal turned a blind eye on a lot of things but I guess that has changed. I don't see anything that will make me give up cruising.

Really? Then I assume they have set new rules that allow no cigarettes on board, huh? :D

I didn't read all the posts, but I got a chuckle out of this one.

IMO.. cigarettes on board a cruise ship pose a greater threat than my curling iron.

Goody for you. Did it ever occur to you that some people can not? A business problem, a dying relative, a kid in the hospital, coordination of schedules for activities on return...these and many other events make it impossible for many people to just cut themselves off from the world for a week or more at a time. It is nice that you can, but would you deny them the right to take a cruise within the constraints of having to connect to their home lives periodically? How about a little compassion for those less fortunate than yourself, or at least with more complicated lives.

Whew!!!!! Sounds like you need a cruise vacation there Fin. My Goodness.

In fact, I have considered those things you mentioned. I leave the emergency contact number for the ship with those who need it and if an emergency arises, they can certainly get in contact with me. If I feel a need to check in or an emergency happens on my end, then there is a phone in my cabin and internet service in the internet cafe. I can also purchase a $5 phone card in port (which is far less than the ship or roaming rates) to make calls or visit the local internet cafe, which is also cheaper. In today's world, we are never cut off.....even if we did want to be.

I have elderly parents who are not in the best of health, 4 children and 9 grandchildren, so the possibilities that you mention exist with me also. I have trained those at work to handle most any problem that arise and the world is not going to stop if something comes up that has to wait a week for my return. I am well aware and understand everybody has different circumstances and preferences that may or may not be the same. Now, having said all that.................

When I posted, I was just simply saying that I did not take any of those things with me while on a cruise because if I did, my underlying thought was that I would not have a vacation!!!!! It had absolutely nothing to do with your rights or reasons for taking them.

So, take a chill pill there my friend, no one is stepping on your toes :) I was just stating that I didn't take those things with me on a cruise.

... Some people always try to push the enlevope; haven't we all seen people sneaking a case of Coke or beer on board, or several extra bottles in their luggage. ...

We shared our dining table each night with 3 couples. They seemed proud of all the rules and regulations they had broken. In fact, their statement to us was "there are no rules from the cruiseline. They are all SUGGESTIONS."

It's people like that I'd like to suggest travel by bus.

I will just sail away with RCCL from now on. These new rules are ridiculous and not clear cut. I am not going to cruise with a line that may or may not take away my hair dryer, curling iron or camera. Not going to risk it.

The easiest answer to this muddy policy...JUST STOP CRUISING CARNIVAL....PERIOD....

Boarding a Carnival ship leaves you at the whim of the least intelligent crew-member who has the power and duty to interpret corporate policy. Right...the baggage porter is in charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a lawyer, but from what I gather from reading the small print, baggage porters are not Carnival employees and have no say-so in the decisionmaking. They may alert Carnival security to a potential issue and Carnival security makes the call, but porters have no authority.

I think ;)

I will just sail away with RCCL from now on. These new rules are ridiculous and not clear cut. I am not going to cruise with a line that may or may not take away my hair dryer, curling iron or camera. Not going to risk it.

Actually, RCI has always had these items on a list. As stated earlier in the thread, the "headline" that the announcement sparked controversy was really the culprit of all the hoopla. I'm a "loyal to Royal" cruiser, but this is not an issue that would prevent me from sailing Carnival.

In case you haven't read RCCL's list, which I gather you haven't by your statement that you will cruise with them, let me save you the trouble. Their list of prohibited and subject to confiscated items are right in line with Carnival's, only more vague if that is a sticking point.

I've sailed both and will continue to sail both because I UNDERSTAND the rules. TRUST ME, nobody wants to see a 1000 women walking around a cruiseship with their hair not done!!! Keep in mind that a lot of the crewmembers are female and they have to have those things as well.

But, walk away... all I have to say is Goody....goody....that's one less person or more that I don't have to worry about being in front of me at the buffet!!!!!

Actually, RCI has always had these items on a list. As stated earlier in the thread, the "headline" that the announcement sparked controversy was really the culprit of all the hoopla. I'm a "loyal to Royal" cruiser, but this is not an issue that would prevent me from sailing Carnival.

Thanks for bringing i some common sense to a crazy subject....we always did like you guys:D

I

But, walk away... all I have to say is Goody....goody....that's one less person or more that I don't have to worry about being in front of me at the buffet!!!!!

You might have this worry as well. He hates Carnival and likes RC but he spends his time on the Carnival boards. Since Carnival seems to be his main interest, if you are docked next to a RC ship he is on, like the message board, he will sneak over to the Carnival ship and get on the Carnival buffet line....all while loudly proclaiming he will not set foot on a Carnival ship.

:mad:We just returned from a Carnival Cruise in the Caribbean, and I can tell you there is more risk from all the smoking than from all the devices that are brought on board. Why isn't Carnival concerned about that? They even let people smoke in their cabins!

I am at the mercy of the crew on these ships. I beleive I should go and do what I want, but for my safety I think they are taking care of me and my loved ones I take with me. I am thankful they think about us. Some people think of them selves and bring hazzardess items on just because they want. accidents happen to all but someone must look out for the ones that want that safety feeling. Besides they did not say no they will just take them if proven to be a hazzard to our safety. We do that in our nursing homes, hospitals and schools. Well that is a long way to swim to safety and I for one don't like my head going under water.

I just talked with Carnival rep. last night about what we can/can't take- she said I'm absolutly fine with bringing my hairdryer, as well as a flat iron and curling iron with me. I still don't know what to make of it, she said she hasn't heard anything that would say otherwise. Just the usual explosive devices, knives, etc. etc..... I really don't know who or what to beleive. I really don't want to take the chance of having somthing 'taken" and then given back after the fact that I've needed it the whole cruise. I know this is probably a repeat question, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't really like the thought of not being able to fix my hair the way I want. But.. I guess the positive thing to all of this is that we are traveling with carry-on's only, so maybe we'll get lucky?

Thanks guys!

Archived