new prohibited item list

smd1234

Perhaps not... the RCL list is nearly identical to the Carnival list with the exception that if they confiscate your booze on embarkation it belongs to them. You never see it again.

I'll stick with Carnival.

;)

True that! Tired of people acting like this is a "carnival conspiracy" when it is happening across the board!

The reason there is so few outlets cause is that is the safest number of outlets that can be used in the worst case scenario of everyone using them all at the same time.

Crappy cruise line to begin. This just adds to it. princess isn't much better.

I go on vacation and have to worry about my camera or ipod

being taken away!

Sound like the Spirit airlines of the cruise business.

Where on the list does it say camera or iPod?

What's that? It doesn't say camera or iPod on the list?

Whoa...it's a miracle! No one is going to take away your camera or iPod! Problem solved.

Geesh.

I think the reason that this thread has become a hot spot is because an email with this title was sent out to CC members...."A Cruise Line's Banned-Items List Sparks Controversy".

PLEASE look at this list from Carnival that Host Mach has posted over and over and over BEFORE you start freaking out. It is very self explanatory and as long as your items are in GOOD WORKING ORDER, you shouldn't have a problem. :)

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

If they confiscate your flat iron (doubtful, as they are low wattage appliances), remember; there's an iron in the laundry room. That's where the idea came from anyway...ask any woman who grew up in the '60s.

I love my flat iron, as I've got that horrible frizz problem, but I did do a Greek Isles cruise without it and lived to tell about it.:eek:

OK... having read this whole thread, and the list about umpteen times along with it, can anyone tell me what they mean by:

I am an English teacher. Does that mean I can't bring a red pencil? Perhaps it means no dictionaries! EEEEEEK! Say it isn't so! And what are "household goods?" Cans of beans? Potty chairs and spatulas? :rolleyes:

However fair or unfair you think they are, the electronics restrictions are written quite clearly to those who choose to read them in their entirety. But "household goods or tools of trade?" What the heck does THAT mean?

:confused:

Come on folks, the list as posted is as clear as the water in the Caribbean.

It is a very logical list. All they want is that you do not plug in all of your stuff into one outlet on one surge protector. Or that your fan, etc., has a frayed wire, etc.

Why is this so impossibly hard to comprehend? Why do so many of you feel the need to go off the deep end?

Sorry folks I can not see the need for all the anger and negativity.

We are talking about a VACATION! Vacations are supposed to be FUN.

How some of you here have ANY fun on your cruises is totally beyond the comprehension of this Vulcan given the anger and negativity that some of you present here.

VACATIONS, FUN, FUN, VACATIONS!

Why is this so impossibly hard to comprehend? Why do so many of you feel the need to go off the deep end?

Perhaps it's because some people's idea of fun is making waves?

(Pun intended, unfortunately.)

OK... having read this whole thread, and the list about umpteen times along with it, can anyone tell me what they mean by:

I am an English teacher. Does that mean I can't bring a red pencil? Perhaps it means no dictionaries! EEEEEEK! Say it isn't so! And what are "household goods?" Cans of beans? Potty chairs and spatulas? :rolleyes:

However fair or unfair you think they are, the electronics restrictions are written quite clearly to those who choose to read them in their entirety. But "household goods or tools of trade?" What the heck does THAT mean?

:confused:

"tools of the trade" are - property a person would commonly use for the purpose of making a living.

"household goods" are - Personal property other than real estate, belonging to an individual or his or her immediate family and including (but not limited to) appliances, books, clothing, furnishings, and furniture.

At least that is what I was able to find. I'm figuring for "household goods" they are probably looking at appliances like coffee pot, toaster, blender, etc.

Boycott Carnival, if you do not like it. Enough Said. Personally, I think they treat everyone poorly, yet the people who pay to travel with them put up with it. Just tells you the class of people who will pay good money to put up with this nonsense.

Boycott Carnival, if you do not like it. Enough Said. Personally, I think they treat everyone poorly, yet the people who pay to travel with them put up with it. Just tells you the class of people who will pay good money to put up with this nonsense.

YAWN.

There is no nonsense on the list. It is a reasonable list.

Class of people?? What a totally snobbish thing to say!!! :mad:

"tools of the trade" are - property a person would commonly use for the purpose of making a living.

"household goods" are - Personal property other than real estate' date=' belonging to an individual or his or her immediate family and including (but not limited to) appliances, books, clothing, furnishings, and furniture.

At least that is what I was able to find. I'm figuring for "household goods" they are probably looking at appliances like coffee pot, toaster, blender, etc.

OK, so it IS vague. Assuming the definition you gave is correct, people (especially the "I like to make waves" type, could easily read it as a prohibition on clothing (there is something I do NOT wish to see on a cruise.) The items I use to make my living are books, pencils, paper, and large quantities of over the counter headache remedies. Clearly not something one would normally see on a "prohibited items" list, yet there they are, if you choose to read it with an eye toward wreaking havoc on a message board.

Back to my original point. If you're going to make rules, they need to make sense. Some people are always going to argue about being told they can't do something. (Witness the huge number of threads on this board regarding ways to smuggle liquor aboard.) (Witness my three year old granddaughter wailing bitterly after being told she may not drag a rotten tomato across the floor on a string.) Vague verbiage like this gives them way too much ammunition. :p

If they prohibit hair dryers, curling/straightenig irons, that's more revenue for the salon. Prohibiting clothes steamers, more money for laundry service! Hm, I see a trend.

Will this restriction apply to every line that Carnival owns?

Rose-Ann

The list sounds reasonable to me.

My husband and I cruise 4 to 6 times a year and we have never felt a need for a power strip...really, do you NEED so much stuff plugged in at once? What if every stateroom had a power strip full of plugged in items? Sounds like a potential fire hazard to me.

Also, has it occurred to anyone that some of the listed items could be used by terrorists to cause havoc on a ship?

Good for Carnival for addressing a rising concern in advance of a catastrophe in the middle of the sea.

If they prohibit hair dryers, curling/straightenig irons, that's more revenue for the salon. Prohibiting clothes steamers, more money for laundry service! Hm, I see a trend.

Will this restriction apply to every line that Carnival owns?

Rose-Ann

They are not prohibited. Please see the list in this post...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24219426&postcount=1

I can live without the power strip, BUT do NOT confiscate my blower and flat iron. Those are deal breakers and would end Carnival as a vacation option for me! If anyone with thick, wavy hair has attempted the blow dryers on board, they know they just don't do the job. Especially on a caribbean cruise where the heat and humidity is a big factor. Without my 1800 watt blower (and yes I saw they removed the 700W language) my hair takes forever to dry and comes out painfully sad looking. When the dryers are fixed in the bathroom it is even worse as with the additional humidity from the bath and the lack of air circulating, I need another shower when I am done. Can I live without my flat iron if I have a good blower. Sure, but the flat iron is a godsend to those of us with hair that frizzes in the humidity.

When I am on a cruise vacation, I want to relax, but I also want to feel as good as poosible about my appearance when I leave for dinner and have those pictures taken that we will keep as fond memories of another great cruise and you know what? Why shouldn't I? If I can't have my blowdryer and flat iron, I would choose another place to vacation. After all, I spend two of my most precious resources on vacation. Time and Money. Why should I have to sacrifice anything? It is all about individual choices. What is important to me may seem silly to some but it is my vacation and I am going to have it my way.

I am right there with you! Thick, naturally wavy hair that I've disliked and fought with most of my life! Add all the humidity from the shower (sure do wish there was proper ventilation in there!) and from the tropical climate that I love so much, and I've got a job cut out for me which requires some good hair products and the proper tools! :) And I feel much better when I'm looking my best. I don't leave my house looking all scrungy and I don't want to leave my stateroom feeling/looking that way, either. Many of you may feel differently, but that's what floats your boat, not mine. :D

I'm glad that they'll be watching for fire hazards such as frayed cords, but if someone confiscates my grooming tools (hair dryer and flat iron), my power strip, or camera charger, my sons DS charger, or husbands electric razor charger, which are all in good working order and never all plugged in at the same time, people in my family will not be happy and we will need to look to other cruiselines in the future. Hopefully we will get to enjoy more Carnival vacations in the future if it works out to the mutual benefit of both our family and the cruiseline.

PS: Oh yeah, I forgot, I have to have my iPod charger, too.....how can I enjoy a cruise without my cruise music playlist?

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Miracle. Since then we've tried HAL, RCL and Celebrity. The new rules provide just another reason not to book another cruise on a Carnival ship. :mad:

...and you hang around on the Carnival boards...can't imagine why

The easiest answer to this muddy policy...JUST STOP CRUISING CARNIVAL....PERIOD....

Boarding a Carnival ship leaves you at the whim of the least intelligent crew-member who has the power and duty to interpret corporate policy. Right...the baggage porter is in charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE take a close look at this list:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

Mach,

Face it......You are going to have to dumb it down quite a bit more .

........it's a new day, and a new date - see how many time you have to post it today.

Well all I can say is that we will be traveling on the Carnival Victory out of San Juan, Puerto Rico on July 4th, and I guarantee my fiancee will be packing a hair dryer. We will also have our cell phones, and MP3 players with us. We'll see how it goes. We have traveled with Carnival on two previous cruises, and absolutely LOVED Carnival and their service. I cannot imagine that they would ingratiate their guests by being overly stupid with this new rule. If so, they risk losing a LOT of business.

Class of people?? What a totally snobbish thing to say!!! :mad:

Come on... you guys can do better than that!!! You need to get DOWN and DIRTY in order to achieve our (ok, MY) objective: THIS THREAD GOES POOF!

Tom

YAWN.

There is no nonsense on the list. It is a reasonable list.

GREETINGS.

... to expect humans to act logically is, well, ILLOGICAL! ;)

... "a child could do it... a child could do it".

Let's all "CROSS-CIRCUIT TO B", that will fix it!! :D

Tom

Archived