new prohibited item list

smd1234

She bites when provoked too.

At least she did, God rest her soul.;)

It's good to have a little SPUNK - properly utilized!

(note that I am referring to the primary definition of that word... absolutely not the Brit. version)! :eek:

Tom

It's good to have a little SPUNK - properly utilized!

(note that I am referring to the primary definition of that word... absolutely not the Brit. version)! :eek:

Tom

So many dirty jokes ... must get mind out of gutter ... must not hijack thread ...

So many dirty jokes ... must get mind out of gutter ... must not hijack thread ...

HIJACKING this thread is the only way to make it bearable!

(but yes, too many places to go with that one...)

BACK OT -- feel free to bring your (in good operating order): Flat/Curling Iron (Tong), extension cords, power strips, and fans! :D (Oh, and cameras and phones too) ;)

Tom

Its just another way they want you to use their facilities. Hair Salon, expensive phones ship to shore , laundries.. I sure won't be going on a Carnival Cruise.

You will be missing out on a lot of fun. They do provide hair dryers in the cabins and some people can use cell phones if you have the proper package. But who wants to use a cell phone while on vacation???? The whole purpose is to get away from them. And if you want dirty clothes you don't have to use the laundry. Or you can bring enough clean clothes so you won't run out.

Recently, there was an incident on a Carnival ship involving a hair straightener that was left turned on and was placed on top of a pair of flip-flops. Eventually, a fire started inside the cabin and thus the policy was created. As with all rules, it discloses the possibility that some items may be taken away during the cruise if it proves to be an issue. Hair straighteners can still get on the ship. However, if it creates an issue, it could be removed from the cabin.

Recently, there was an incident on a Carnival ship involving a hair straightener that was left turned on and was placed on top of a pair of flip-flops. Eventually, a fire started inside the cabin and thus the policy was created. As with all rules, it discloses the possibility that some items may be taken away during the cruise if it proves to be an issue. Hair straighteners can still get on the ship. However, if it creates an issue, it could be removed from the cabin.

Alrighty then...

Thanks!

:D

Tom

....and that's why extension cords and multiplug strips are not prohibited and the problem is frayed cords, taped repair, archaic appliances and the sort. So there, you have no problem. When are idiots who cruise going to READ the rules and apply a little common sense? :)

I am confused, some say yes you can have extension cords, then some say no. I tried to find the list of prohibited items referring to these items. Could you tell me where this list is. We have travelled Carnival and love it. We have never had any problem with me bringing a curling iron and extension cord that has a socket on the end that you can charge and phone and camera battery at the same time. Thanks!

You will be missing out on a lot of fun. They do provide hair dryers in the cabins and some people can use cell phones if you have the proper package. But who wants to use a cell phone while on vacation???? The whole purpose is to get away from them. And if you want dirty clothes you don't have to use the laundry. Or you can bring enough clean clothes so you won't run out.

On the older Carnival ships there are laundries, not on Royal Caribbean, Princess or NCL. I was out some items by hand. Otherwise I bring plenty of clothes. I don't see that Carnival has anything different with these issues that other cruise lines. We have cruised over 30 years on 39 cruises.

I won't be sailing Carnival anytime soon. Who needs the hassle when putting out Your $$$$ for a cruise..

I didn't hear cigarette lighters or matches listed. That is a health risk to all whether smokers or non-smokers... I smoked for 25 years And been smoke free (other than second hand smoke, not by choice) for 27 years... :)

We boarding the Carnival Dream on May 15th and my brand new curling iron was confiscated before my luggage was delivered. I was not happy, felt and looked like crap the whole time..self esteem issues, yep..

We boarding the Carnival Dream on May 15th and my brand new curling iron was confiscated before my luggage was delivered. I was not happy, felt and looked like crap the whole time..self esteem issues, yep..

Supposedly the previous "mistake" which Carnival admitted to earlier this month on the Dream (Curling Iron) repeated itself with YOU -- and that was after they admitted to the mistake. Evidently the word takes a LONG TIME to get to everyone...

Surprise! :rolleyes:

Tom

I am with you....don't mess with the hair!!! ;)

I use hot curlers and I carried them on May 8th.

Try carrying them on next time....

Well I Just got back from the Splendor - beautiful ship, I must say. Would love to be right back onagain this afternoon. Wonderful staff - definately wanted to take mine with this time! :D

So with all the drama of this whole power strip issue, I decided that I would not chance it, and so I didn't take any of the necessary "equipment" to charge all of my electronics.

I have to say that it was difficult, and on several occaisions I had dead camera batteries....I was not pleased in the least about all this - but the only alternative might have been confiscation.

Now I have to say that the VIP check in staff was fabulous - but the actual pier staff acted as if all of us coming aboard were problem people. Giving you the "stink eye" when you put your bags on the conveyor, etc. I know you have to keep crowds moving, but really - they could have been polite about it.

I am saddened that crusing is now becoming like flying - unfortunately it feels like those of us that are just trying to have a wonderful vaction are being treated like criminals......... At least if you are going to make a rule up - please give consistant info on what is allowed, etc. Maybe have one dedicated phone line to answer just those questions - and nothing else - make it crystal clear - don't muck up the info. We all are going on these crusies spending our hard earned money - and the least that the cruise line industry could do would be to level with us.

My gripe on this occasion comes down to the fact that the room next to us were smokers - and non-stop ones at that. First problem is that everytime we wanted to go out on our balcony, there they were - smoking, with ash and all blowing directly into ours. Our room also smelled of it, and the best the Conicerge Desk told us was that they could come up and "feshen" up our room - but they could not warn the other guests not to smoke in their room!!! REALLY!!

So I am at risk of confiscation of a perfectly in good condition power strip, but these folks can smoke in their room - can we all say FIRE HAZZARD!!

I was very upset about that - and believe me, Carnival will be receiving another letter regarding this whole issue. I love crusing - and I no doubt will be booking more - it is just so upseting that this klind of stuff has to ruin the journey!!

My gripe on this occasion comes down to the fact that the room next to us were smokers - and non-stop ones at that. First problem is that everytime we wanted to go out on our balcony, there they were - smoking, with ash and all blowing directly into ours. Our room also smelled of it, and the best the Conicerge Desk told us was that they could come up and "feshen" up our room - but they could not warn the other guests not to smoke in their room!!! REALLY!!

So I am at risk of confiscation of a perfectly in good condition power strip, but these folks can smoke in their room - can we all say FIRE HAZZARD!!

Sorry --- smokers in many situations are still sacred cows. Never mind the risk to others from fires and second hand smoke. Things are changing, albeit slowly, though it will take decades before they are treated like the lepers they can be - with proper segregation to protect the innocent.

Note that I said CAN BE -- there are plenty of considerate smokers out there, and I am not trying to lump them all together. It just takes a few bad eggs. (In this case though, even the ones who aren't "bad eggs" still have an odor) :eek:

Tom

I know I can not be without my hair strenthener and I'm hoping hiding it in between my cloths wrapped up will be ok. I am taking my own luggage own, I did it last year also. I want to try to bring my travel iron, last year it was a nightmare waiting in that little room with 7 others to use their iron. So I may try the travel iron also. I understand that some people may become careless and this is for the safety of all the passengers, so I ask instead of making us suffer, People take responsiblities for their stuff and be careful! Happy sailing.

Just got off the Conquest from the May 16th sailing. We had a small travel iron in our bags that we have taken on 8 other cruises including two Carnival with the last being January this year. When we got our luggage there was a note in our luggage that they identified something that caused them to search our luggage. The travel iron was gone. My DW's hair flat iron and hot rollers were still in the bags (they also had notes in them, but nothing was taken).

I had a short extension cord and power strip in my laptop bag that was carried on and they made it on the ship.

We carried on two bottles of wine, but had to show them to security after xray. The bottle that was in check in baggage was taken (of course we expected it but wanted to see what would happen, let the flamin begin).

Off topic, we had smokers in the cabins on either side of ours and we couldn't go on the balcony sometimes because of the smoke. Actually, I developed slight touch of bronchitis and sinus infection because of the cigarette smoke (yes, I know it was because of the smoke, because that happens to me when I get around too much cigarette smoke).

Well, I never thought I would like Carnival- too young for me, I think. Maybe if we had small children or were into partying - now I KNOW i wouldn't want to cruise with them. The hair dryer isn't an issue for me- wash-n-wear hair. But how can they take someone's camera ???

No, it was not new. It was previously unenforced. Totally different.

As for inexcusable? Drama much? They didn't run over your freakin' dog or kick your grandmother. Get over it.

I think he was saying that the power strip was new. Not that the rule was new.

Maggie

No handcuffs??:eek: Hubby will be very disappointed..;):D

You laugh, but a friend of mine gave me a "honeymoon gift" for our 20th anniversary, which contained handcuffs (we didn't know because we were supposed to open the gift on board), and sure enough, they confiscated them. They offered to give them back after the cruise, but we said we were good, keep them!

Well, I never thought I would like Carnival- too young for me, I think. Maybe if we had small children or were into partying - now I KNOW i wouldn't want to cruise with them. The hair dryer isn't an issue for me- wash-n-wear hair. But how can they take someone's camera ???

Did you not read Mach's multiple posts listing all the items and what can and cannot be taken? You can take your camera, as long as the charger does not have a frayed cord. Geez wish people would read already with out jumping to conclusions. Don't know how old you are but I qualify for Social Security and I don't find Carnival too young. Love having the young people around! Happy sailing wherever you land.:)

I know I can not be without my hair strenthener and I'm hoping hiding it in between my cloths wrapped up will be ok. I am taking my own luggage own, I did it last year also. I want to try to bring my travel iron, last year it was a nightmare waiting in that little room with 7 others to use their iron. So I may try the travel iron also. I understand that some people may become careless and this is for the safety of all the passengers, so I ask instead of making us suffer, People take responsiblities for their stuff and be careful! Happy sailing.

If you try to bring the travel iron on they will make you wait in the little room to EXPLAIN WHY YOU TOOK THE TRAVEL IRON WHEN YOU KNEW YOU WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO. IT WILL EMBARRASS YOU . I would rather wait in the little room to iron my clothes rather than be interrogated and having to explain yourself. Do yourself a favor and read all the posts. YOU WILL GET CAUGHT........:eek::eek:

For all who swear they can't live without a travel iron or steamer on a cruise --

I once felt the same way. Wouldn't travel without one until a few years ago. Took advice on these boards and learned to pack more clothing that resists wrinkling and a travel bottle of Downey. I also started placing as much of our clothing as possible in large (2-gal or larger) ziplock bags that were rolled and zipped shut after packing.

I enclose each item of formal wear, i.e., hubby's tuxedo or suit, my dresses and blouses, in plastic drycleaner bags and put those items on the top of our suitcases before I close them.

We fly to our ports and unpack our luggage as soon as it gets to our cabin. checking for any wrinkled items at that time.

Taken 28 cruises and stopped packing a travel iron/steamer about 15 cruises ago. Better at packing I get the less we need the Downy. In fact, don't think I've had to use the popular wrinkle releaser for at least 3 cruises now.

Dianne

Archived