new prohibited item list

smd1234

Forgive me if this has already been said: It's the ships' designer's fault! They have ONE... count 'em.... ONE SINGLE 120volt outlet in the bathroom and ONE (again... count 'em!) 120volt outlet at the desk. (I think I took a cruise once that had two such outlets :eek:, but that's not common).

What else DO they have? Why, umpteen unusable 240volt outlets, that's what! Count the unused outlets at the desk the next time you're onboard. There will be AT LEAST two round outlets that accept round-pronged plugs, NOT the flat prongs we use in the U.S.. I'm pretty sure those are 240volts. At any rate, they're completely unusable by anyone from the U.S. There's another one of those damned round things between the beds... can't plug my CPAP into one of those... therefore, I MUST... absolutely MUST... bring along an extension cord which then must be run all around the room to reach a spot between the beds. If I can't do that, I CAN'T SLEEP.

This is true of Celebrity, RCCL, Carnival, Azimara, Princess and HAL.

So SCREW Carnival. I don't (personally) give a damn about hair dryers, but we have camera batteries that must be charged and a laptop. Just those TWO items, plus the extension cord, absolutely REQUIRE that we bring along a multi-outlet "cube".

If their only concern was the condition of the item... frayed wires, etc.... then I'd have no problem with THAT...

but...

When are the IDIOTS at the cruise lines gonna' get a clue??? :mad::mad::mad:

Joe

Forgive me if this has already been said: It's the ships' designer's fault! They have ONE... count 'em.... ONE SINGLE 120volt outlet in the bathroom and ONE (again... count 'em!) 120volt outlet at the desk. (I think I took a cruise once that had two such outlets :eek:, but that's not common).

What else DO they have? Why, umpteen unusable 240volt outlets, that's what! Count the unused outlets at the desk the next time you're onboard. There will be AT LEAST two round outlets that accept round-pronged plugs, NOT the flat prongs we use in the U.S.. I'm pretty sure those are 240volts. At any rate, they're completely unusable by anyone from the U.S. There's another one of those damned round things between the beds... can't plug my CPAP into one of those... therefore, I MUST... absolutely MUST... bring along an extension cord which then must be run all around the room to reach a spot between the beds. If I can't do that, I CAN'T SLEEP.

So SCREW Carnival. I don't (personally) give a damn about hair dryers, but we have camera batteries that must be charged and a laptop. Just those TWO items, plus the extension cord, absolutely REQUIRE that we bring along a multi-outlet "cube".

If their only concern was the condition of the item... frayed wires, etc.... then I'd have no problem with THAT...

but...

Joe

*bangs head on the keyboard*

This is really too funny not to share. I am writing this post from a TENT, in a campground somewhere down in Dixie near Mobile.

What is funny about it is that we are using a strip plug and have a fan blowing as I type this. Would I rather be cruising without them? Maybe. But it struck me funny that I can enjoy these things without a problem. Cheers.

Its just another way they want you to use their facilities. Hair Salon, expensive phones ship to shore , laundries.. I sure won't be going on a Carnival Cruise.

Yeah, well, good luck finding a cruiseline that *doesn't* want you to use any of their facilities. Might I suggest a private yacht?

In the interest of the safety of both passengers and crew, CARNIVAL has the right to restrict any item it deems a potential hazard. A ship is not like a hotel where guests can simply evacuate the building. I personally applaud CARNIVAL for taking a pro-active approach rather than having to investigate a disaster after the fact. Perhaps there should be some clarification of the rules but if we are responsible guests, we should welcome CARNIVAL'S concern for our safety and its' multi-million investment in its' vessel.

but...

Joe

....and that's why extension cords and multiplug strips are not prohibited and the problem is frayed cords, taped repair, archaic appliances and the sort. So there, you have no problem. When are idiots who cruise going to READ the rules and apply a little common sense? :)

This is really too funny not to share. I am writing this post from a TENT, in a campground somewhere down in Dixie near Mobile.

What is funny about it is that we are using a strip plug and have a fan blowing as I type this. Would I rather be cruising without them? Maybe. But it struck me funny that I can enjoy these things without a problem. Cheers.

Sounds like you are really roughing it. It gave me a good chuckle as I compare it to our camping. On a secluded island, in the middle of a pristine lake, in Northern Ontario. No power, campfire for cooking, double sleeping bag to keep warm, no cell towers, no internet, no people oh but you can see planes flying overhead. And a walleye dinner cooking and can't forget the infamous camp coffee. Mind you I envy you guys during our minus 30 winters.

I don't know when you took your cruise, whether it was before or after the most recent clarification of banned/subject to confiscation list was produced by Carnival, but I think the key to this new list is two fold.

Cruisers are going to have to be properly informed and understand the rules. Secondly, so are Carnival's security personnel. Based on your experience, it appears that remedial training is in order and while they are at it, they might as well retrain everyone across the fleet to the new rules. I'm sure they are attempting to do that, but emphasis should be applied accordingly.

The application of the rules are going to have to be applied consistenly throughout the fleet or Carnival is going to have a fiasco on their hands. While common sense seems to be anything but common these days, logic and common sense and a systematic consistent application of the standards is going to have to prevail.

I know......but it sounded good! ;)

The Carnival ships we have taken have hair dryers, don't they have them anymore? Are they going to take my curling iron from me?

No hair Dryers/curling irons - Use ships hairdressers

No electronic Cameras - Use or buy Photos/cameras from ship

No computers - Pay for overpriced computer use onboard

This is no longer a vacation when you are harassed by ships security.

I always take a multy extension powere strip to recharge shaver, phones, cameras and laptop.

With no warning, nothing of this policy in clear writing, I had mine confiscated by the room steward with a message to call security. I was treated like a criminal. Every time I embarked or disembarked my boarding card set off alarms and I was pulled asside in full view of other passengers. There was no descreteness about Carnival Security methods. All for a power multi strip.

I enjoy Carnival except for this. They ruined my vacation!! IT IS A DEALBREAKER!!!!!

No more Carnival Cruises for me until they publicly rescind this idiotic policy and appologize to those cruisers that were subject to this unwaranted humiliation.

They could have just told me that the power strip was not to be used and I would have complied. I rescinded the tip to the room steward for his cowardly act of turning me in to security without ever talking to me.

If Carnival fully punlished the list of items they would confiscate, I believe they would be sailimg with ships less than half full.

From the mouth of Carnival:

"Curling irons and hairdryers, no matter what wattage, are allowed as long as they are not being held together by duck tape." Same goes for the power strips. Also, as far as the hairdryers and curling irons, they just don't want them left plugged in.

With no warning, nothing of this policy in clear writing, I had mine confiscated by the room steward with a message to call security. I was treated like a criminal. Every time I embarked or disembarked my boarding card set off alarms and I was pulled asside in full view of other passengers. There was no descreteness about Carnival Security methods. All for a power multi strip.

I enjoy Carnival except for this. They ruined my vacation!! IT IS A DEALBREAKER!!!!!

No more Carnival Cruises for me until they publicly rescind this idiotic policy and appologize to those cruisers that were subject to this unwaranted humiliation.

They could have just told me that the power strip was not to be used and I would have complied. I rescinded the tip to the room steward for his cowardly act of turning me in to security without ever talking to me.

If Carnival fully punlished the list of items they would confiscate, I believe they would be sailimg with ships less than half full.

I would have been pissed as well.

They have changed their written policy. Don't hold your breath for an apology, though I would imagine they would convey some type of excuse (perhaps with a semblance of an apology) if you were to compose an even tempered letter to them - if you care to take the time to do that.

Tom

Despite what you read, the Power strip was "new". The Carnival action was inexusable. Carnival is not truthful!!!!!

No, it was not new. It was previously unenforced. Totally different.

As for inexcusable? Drama much? They didn't run over your freakin' dog or kick your grandmother. Get over it.

Archived