new prohibited item list

smd1234

Perhaps if guests each carried a liability insurance policy large enough to replace a cruise ship AND pay out to family members of passengers killed in a fire, the cruise line would not feel inclined to impose this type of onboard safety policy? Just a suggestion. In case of fire, where is the fire exit on a ship?

I would rather know I am safe from some idiot passenger bringing a fire hazard aboard.

I have had issues with the consistency in which they enforce the restrictions in the past.

1) We were leaving the Port of Tampa and I had my dive bag with all my scuba gear. One thing that was part of my gear is a small knife with 3.75" blade with a snub nose. I was paged on the ship, taken down to the baggage area and basically they confiscated my knife. They said I could have it when I left the ship. I was annoyed, but could live with it. Until everytime I went to leave or board the ship when I swiped my card, an alarm went off. So the line was held up until they could read the reason. Getting back on board was a hassel even if I didn't have it since they had no way of knowing if I did or didn't.

My wife was able to carry her Leatherman on without incident. It has a 3" blade with a sharp point.

2) So the next cruise I just packed it in my luggage and there were no issues. Until I tried to board with it after diving. They said it must be confiscated. I said it has a blade less than 4". They said it was a "dive knife" and had to be confiscated.

My knife is very similar to this one: http://www.scuba.com/shop/display.asp_id_024161

They hand out steak knives in dining room more dangerous than mine. Somebody has watched too many movies where the hero swims with a 12" knife in his mouth.

Haven't been on a Carnival ship since.

Jeesh - my comment was said with humor - that's what the little smiley was for - how about a little "fun attitude" about the Fun Ships?

We where gonna go on the Norway, after the accident, they gave us a $50 credit and money back, never used the credit, had to in a year, and went on the Imagination instead, was ok but my first CCL wasn't magical or "fun"

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Miracle. Since then we've tried HAL, RCL and Celebrity. The new rules provide just another reason not to book another cruise on a Carnival ship. :mad:

There is no restriction for hair dryers/curlers/flat irons, etc.

I totally agree with you that there is no restriction for these items. My only concern is that they are that category that could be confiscated if they are deemed to be hazardous. Carnival also said that they could be considered hazardous anytime from enbarkarion screening until debarkation. I understand this also.

And as we all know you can call Carnival 10 times and get 10 different answers to the same question. It is left up to the interpretation the person looking at the item. I think they need to make sure their workers completely understand the policy. I am sure, if it it correct, that someone's new power strip still in its pakaging, was confiscated, it certainly was not in a hazardous condition. Then they just confiscated it because they thought it was prohibited or they consider all power strips to be hazardous. The policy needs to be clear and the employees need to understand it. Then there would be no need for this concern or this thread.

Sharon

I've had to bring along a short multi-plug extension cord on cruises, not because I need to plug in many items, but because many of the manufacturers use plugs that overlap the two 110 volt receptacles used by various cruise lines (Princess, fior example). My wife's Blackberry charger plug is a good example. If it's plugged in to charge (also used as a digital clock in it's cradle) there's not sufficient space to plug in a computer, camera battery charger, etc. into the second power receptacle next to it.

Here the rub... A lot of people bring the worst junk onboard because they figure, why risk my nice appliances on a trip. If the wires are damaged or it looks to security like they are going to set up a four seat salon on a single outlet... :-) there is going to be an issue.

That said, I have twice been placed in extremely unsafe conditions by careless Carnival employees including my whole family gased to the point of nearly passing out in our cabins by crews using toxic chemicals next to the air intakes... So I take this to mean that on the staff are allowed to risk health and safety but the passengers are not... :rolleyes:

Simple fact is that no set of rules can cover all of the bases and the final line will always be drawn by the staff at the docks..

My family has stopped sailing Carnival and most of its partner lines because of poor service, lousy entertainment, and, of course, nearly killing us without a single hint of remorse... Have taken our money to the other lines. (about 50 cabins worth over the last 18 months as I book for staff and clients as well as myself)....

So, moral to the story is that all of the lines are going to start doing these safety checks on electrical items as too many people are bringing trash onboard and there is a very real fire hazzard from folks leaving irons and such plugged in and over taxing the electrical systems. They are very unlikely to take phones, computers, cameras or any other data storage devices as the lawsuits and PR damage would be extreme.

As for Carnival not being able to intelligently articulate what they are going to do and how we should plan our trips... I shall quote a comedian I rather like...

"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!" Goes for the Carnival corp folks and the passengers that really do know better but just can't help themselves..

Seems Carnival forgets who the customer is,let's see? Make it such a hassle that you move onto another cruise line,that's exactly what we did,next one,Royal Caribbean in 2011,our last Carnival ship had us waiting at the port for 8 solid hours,changed our itinerary,and offered not one dime for compensation.When asked about it,Carnival personel just shrugged it off,I sent a complaint to Miami,Fla,Better business Bureau,I feel Carnival owes my family a day vacation time(lost in our wait at port in Tampa) Whatever happened to customer service? We pay for it,everyone that took theCarnival Legend on 2/14 this year should be furious about this,I won't forget it,now you can't bring your electronic items on board? I'll bet Carnival just has all those needed items stacked(and marked up to a high premium)to sell in the ship's store,approved by Carnival of course,another scam revealed,this kind of crap gives cruising a bad name.

If they banned me from taking my hair straighteners, I'd cancel my cruise and never cruise again! Anyway, mine have a safety cut out on them - if left on and not moved for a certain amount of time they auto switch off. I've never cruised Carnival, but I know they own a number of lines that I have cruised, so I'm very unhappy about their huge list. Thought cruising was supposed to be a holiday - not a stay in a prison. They'll be strip searching passengers next! Susie

I'm not sure how many times I'm going to have to post this in response to people with inaccurate/incomplete information but I'll do it one more time.

This is the list of prohibited items. PLEASE NOTE that cameras, laptops and darn near EVERYTHING ELSE that anyone has ever brought on board is still permitted:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

why are people having a hard time reading and believing this?

We just returned from an 8 day on the Carnival Freedom. We carried a laptop, cellphones,

chargers, I-pod & docking station, hairdryer, curling iron, and a portable steamer. Nobody

challenged us. However, there was only ONE outlet in the cabin by under the large mirror

at the desk/vanity area; nothing in the bathroom. I'm not a very prissy gal, but one outlet

was very inconvenient. I'm sure it's done for safety reasons, but we had to really chart out our usage, especially getting ready for dinner, etc. This just seems a bit primitive. Maybe next time we'll just pack fun clothes, never go to the dining room, or have our picture taken. Come to think of it, that would be so much easier....no dressy clothes, etc.

Of course, they will NOT have my sail & sign card to swipe for drinks, pictures, etc. Still, we enjoyed our cruise!

I didn't read every post, so if someone already mentioned this, forgive me.

sorry, we need to confiscate your hair dryer. well, if you're unhappy about how your hair comes out, we DO have a salon on board.

that steamer looks unsafe, we have to take it. I'm sorry your dress is wrinkled, but we DO have a laundry service onboard.

i'm sure enforcement will be in direct proportion to how badly they need revenue on a particular sailing.

or am I being cynical?

Exactly why I don't cruise Carnival.

Really... "exactly"? :rolleyes:

You have never sailed with them - so you (along with most others posting here) are simply PILING ON... but, if that's your definition of 'Fun", have at it!

I read on one of these (similar) threads that RCCL stopped allowing people to snorkel from shore from their private island --- forcing people to book an excursion if they wished to. If there is any truth to that, then they deserve a little bit of bad press as well!

It would seem the CC article is stoking the flames here. Not very productive...

Though most of the blame has to rest with Carnival -- even though they have "fixed it", the damage has already been done, and the reverberations will continue for some time.

Tom

Fire is the biggest fear on board... My daughter stayed in a room with young college girls who had an electric power strip filled with curling irons and chargers. They didn't turn the curling irons off when they left the room. "Why bother we don't have to pay the bill." The room was littered with clothes thrown everywhere. What if they left a towel on the desk and it caught fire? If you can use the extention cords responsively, the room attendant will leave your things alone.

Can not believe a cruise line would carry through with this rule. People should cancel, see how fast this rule last.

What I want to know is: Does this nonsense apply only to Carnival Cruise Line per se, or does it also apply to other Carnival owned companies like Holland America and Princess? We just finished a 16 day repositioning cruise Ft. Lauderdale to Rome on the HAL Eurodam and there was absolutely no mention of this "policy" whatsoever.

BTW, I would hope that ANY cruise line would confiscate electronic equipment that actually poses a fire hazard or overloads the circuits. that does not require a policy. It just requires common sense.

This is why I do not go on CCL. Some of their staterooms do not even have hair dryers so what do you do if they take yours away go with wet flyaway hair to dinner on formal night or pay the salon for that UPDO.

I think I will go on another cruise line that lets me take my hairdryer or curling iron.

DW and I sailed on Carnival once ... thought it was bad. We wanted to go to Belize, so we thought we'd give Carnival a 2nd chance. WRONG THING TO DO! :(

Carnival does not serve Baked Alaska or Cherries Jubilee (cruise line standards) because that have started too many fires in their kitchens! :eek:

Banning hair dryers, camera, cell phone (etc) sounds like "DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO". Let this serve as a warning to anyone who is still foolish enough to consider sailing on Carnival. He who sails on Carnival, deserves all of the crummy treatment they receive.

After reading more I choose to not add to the discussion, so I deleted my text. As listed in the CC news, it is a stupid idea, but reading the listing, below on my page, I can survive as I would on other cruises.

Archived