new prohibited item list

smd1234

Well I understand if it's just for safety, however it sounds a bit like another revenue stream. Keep those items off ship, and "maybe" more women go to the spa for their hair to be done? Maybe if we limit computers, you'll use the internet more.

Basically pushing off items that could interfere with you using costly services onboard?

Is it so hard to believe? They don't allow booze for the reasons of drunkards..BUT let's be frank...it's mostly to keep you from saving money. So why not take it to the next step? Remove all self serve items you bring, forcing you to pay for everything you could possible need to do.

Next thing you know they'll charge you for locking and unlocking your door!

I know it's a BIT of a reach, but like the government they do come up with some self-destructive ideas because some people just aren't creative.

:eek: They have clothes irons and hair dryers on board why waste space packing them....if you fly most airlines charge for bags now so why double up. Thiers may not be what you use but they are there.. and I agree if the extention cord is new I doubt if they will toss it out. I am going to test it out and see.

I made a suggestion on having a contraband table where you could "check it" things not allowed on the ship but that you had to bring. The answer that there is one on the cruise ship is irrelevant for a group of people.....the ones that do not just go on a cruise. We always take a few days before or after in the port and many people who fly in from Europe/Australia/Canada do the same thing. For many, their 7 day cruise is in addition to a land based vacation. Don't forget, the USA limits vacation for many, other countries do not. (Try going to Italy in August - beaches-crowded and other places including hotels and restaurants closed for the month of August) There are things like irons that are packed with the land in mind with NO desire to use them on the cruise ship.

That is the answer for why someone would bring a hairdryer/iron/extension cord/fan that is provided on the ship. It might very well be for their time before or after the cruise.

Well I understand if it's just for safety, however it sounds a bit like another revenue stream. Keep those items off ship, and "maybe" more women go to the spa for their hair to be done? Maybe if we limit computers, you'll use the internet more.

We bring our laptop which means we don't have to use their computer (which is free of charge in the internet hubs) to access the internet that you pay for either way. You pay the same for internet if you bring your own computer as you do when you use theirs. It's just more convenient to use yours in your room now that most ship have ship wide wiFi.

Very simple. Just don't cruise on carnival. There food is bad and the customer service is just as bad. I just got back from a Royal Carribean Cruise and they were perfect in every way.

The best way is just don't give Carnival any more money, That is what I did.

Just joined.....one post bashing Carnival and promoting RCL.....how many ID's can one person have????:confused:

How come they bash Carnival and never recommend anything but RC when there are lots of lines out there to choose from.....why is it always RC???

......and again, why are you not on the RC boards that you love and not on the Carnival boards you hate??.....If I hate a product, I'm certainly not going to their website or their boards??

I am glad I got cruising out of my system when the situation was only very bad. I remember when hotels charged a corkage fee for the use of alcohol in your own room. Sanity prevailed when that restriction was removed. The cruise lines are 40 years behind the times.

So why are you a member of CC and posting on cruising boards if you never cruise????

Yes I am a first time poster. I was prompted to do so my an email I received from Cruise Critic about "banned" items. I do not post because

I come to this site about questions that I have and for the most part get

the answers. Those of you that are 10,000 plus members provide a lot of information and I count on your advice...so please remember that all of you were ONCE a "single digit" also and encourage the rest of us to obtain the same status, not discourage.

This is what makes sense to me...I don't know if it is what Carnival has in mind but... It is true that certain items could pose a safety threat if common sense is not employed. For example - I can see a flat iron or curling iron etc being confiscated if it is found left ON and when the room is cleaned. I believe if used responsibly there will be no problem.

I do not care what CCL restricts as long as it prevents fires on ships. I like to cruise on CCL, was on a cruise last week. The bottom line is if you do not like CCL's rules do not choose them. There was a hairdryer in my cabin and it worked just fine. I do not bring a hairdryer or other electrics because I usually fly to the cruise and don't need all these items.

Who does carnival think they are???, we want to blow dry our hair or curl our hair they are pushing the wrong buttons with there guests. I used to be a loyal carnival cruiser, not any more there policy is we do not care!! They had a fire on the Imagination a few months ago it had nothing to do with to dry or style your hair then on top of it they have doubled the cost to cruise with them!.....Hey you can find a better deal right now to vacation in florida

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not exceed 700 watts and should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

LOL! Who's is going to determine if they pose a fire hazard:confused: Boy that has cover my butt written all over it.........

I was not on a cruise ship when this happened but a person in a hotel had things so overloaded they kept popping the circuit breakers. So if you can do it in a hard wired facility I'm sure its got to be pretty easy on a cruise ship

Just ONE MORE REASON to NOT travel with Carnival...go with more class - RCCL!:cool:

Odd... RCCL's list looks surprisingly like Carnival's but isn't quite as specific...

Q:

What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A:

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors with blade length 4 inches or more.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=00009Dckm0Y86_PAbLRPMuEiaAy:12hdhua36?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Luggage+%26+Luggage+Tags&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=348&faqType=faq

:rolleyes:

Here's my story and hopefully somebody can offer some advice or steer me in a direction I haven't tried. My wife and I sailed the Splendor out of Long Beach on May 2. During embarkation while passing through security my belt buckle was confiscated. It's just a normal chromed cast buckle, doesn't do anything special, of 2 pistols and a bunch of stars. The security guy told me there is nothing allowed onboard as far as weapons, representation of weapons, giving the idea of weapons, etc. He told me I could either let them hold onto it for the trip or take it back to my car. Being that we had just flown into LAX that morning it wasn't an option to leave it in a car. He put it in a box and gave me a paper stating that I had an item confiscated and it would be brought up to our room on Saturday night before we debarked on Sunday. I was mad but ok, whatever I can live without my buckle for a week. What really irritated me was one of our table mates bought both a glass rifle and pistol filled with tequila in Puerto Vallarta and he was able to bring those onboard without any problems. I never got my buckle back on Saturday night so about 4 am on Sunday I went to the guest relations desk and asked them where my buckle was. The guy working at the desk told me I was supposed to pick it up on the gangway Sunday morning when we got off the ship. Ok...I can do that. During debarkation at 9:00 am (we were in an earlier zone to make our 12:30 flight out of LAX) I asked at least 4-5 different security officers where to get my buckle and was told something different every time. "Just before security", "right after security", "over by customs", etc. Nobody was on the same page. Finally I was told to go wait outside of the dome building and someone would bring it to me. After waiting for about 45 minutes a gentleman told me I couldn't have my buckle until everyone was off the ship and it wouldn't be until 11:30 or 12 (couldn't do it, had to make our flight). He gave me a card to Carnival Guest Relations and told me to call the # the next day to arrange having my buckle sent to me. Now here we are over a week later and having talked to 5 or so different guest relations reps they tell me they have no idea where my buckle is and in not so many words I'm SOL and they're really sorry but they're excited to see us on our next Carnival Cruise. YEAH RIGHT! Anyways, I know this is wrong and it's just a buckle but it was a gift from someone very dear to me and has sentimental value. Any ideas on something I should do?

I'm glad I did a lot of cruising over the years, "been there, done that". I'm going for land vacations from now on. They keep building bigger and bigger cruise ships for fewer and fewer passengers! Go figure. :confused:

You are DONE with cruising and ONLY taking land based vacations, and you are WASTING your precious time on Carnival cruise lines message boards on a site that is devoted to cruising.....

WHY??????

.....you forgot the part about IF you were foced, against your will, onto a cruise ship...it would only be a Royal Caribbean ship;)

Hi

I have just received this and can not make a fair comment as I would like to know why this has been entertained by the Carnival Cruise line?

I doubt they just one day said let's do it..:confused:

But I hope it would be recitified as there are way to many women that consider these articles of hair care like second appendendages !:(

ABIceQueen

I understand the fact that fire is of major concern on any cruise ship. I also understand the fact that cruise lines do ban items that could cause issues. I personally would appreciate a steward keeping an eye out for me leaving my flat iron plugged in. I don't agree that banning them is the answer. Take it if you find it plugged in, unattended in my cabin. At that point they would be doing us all a favor.

Wow, I can't believe we are all adults (at least I assume we are) posting some of these messages. Some of you are down right rude to others. Guess I need to sign-off of this thread and keep my opinions to myself going forward.

Once more...

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

So, an extension cord is fine and if it's deemed to be a potential hazard it may be confiscated but it will be RETURNED TO YOU on the last day of the voyage. No one will toss anything.

:)

I feel bad for you and having to repeat everything so much...seems people could take the time to read it all, and not just make an assumption that the first thing they read is the new "law" I bet some will not bring what they think are excluded, only to see others having what they wish they had brought too!

Thanks for all you do..Ive learned so much from you since joining and we have been cruising since 1976 :)

Archived