new prohibited item list

smd1234

I think people are over reacting to the new policy. They just don't want electronics left on charging forever and overloading circuits. Just be sensible about what you bring and how you use it and you will be fine. I personally have no problem with the policy.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/p/112166/577770.aspx

AHHHHH!

No more clothes steamers and maybe you can take your hair straightener. sounds like they can pick and choose where they enforce the rules

WISHY WASHY!

This forces people to use their laundry services and salon which is usually outrageous. We spent 2 weeks on the Norwegian Jade and found laundry service in one of the ports instead. We emailed our taxi driver in advance and he had it all mapped out, we picked up fresh clothing in two carry-on luggage pieces on the way back to the ship for 10 Euros! :rolleyes:

This forces people to use their laundry services and salon which is usually outrageous. We spent 2 weeks on the Norwegian Jade and found laundry service in one of the ports instead. We emailed our taxi driver in advance and he had it all mapped out, we picked up fresh clothing in two carry-on luggage pieces on the way back to the ship for 10 Euros! :rolleyes:

The "700 watt" restriction has been removed from the latest "version" posted by Host Mach today: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24439610&postcount=398

So the personal grooming items are no longer restricted - as long as they are in good working order.

I think this is more about money than anything else is. Can’t bring your iron, they will be happy to press your clothes. No curling iron or flat iron, they will fix your hair in the salon. The problem I have with this is the only fire I can think of in recent years was on Princess, which was started by a discarded cigarette. However Carnival and Princess still allow smoking in the cabin which in my opinion makes me question their "concern" about safety. Smoking in cabin has the potential to cause a fire and in fact has and unfortunately one passenger passed away as a result and that is allowed but god forbid I want to charge my cell phone. If safety is really a concern than go all the way and ban smoking in the cabins.

I know I am going to get flamed by smokers…pun intended.

Not a smoker.

But you weren't on Miracle last December were you? Walking to my aft balcony on Main deck and I could SMELL SOMETHING BURNING!

Yep. Sure could!

Turned the corner and there were three men in full fire-fighting gear with an electrical closet open across from the cabin next to me.

It was NOT a drill. It was NOT practice. I could SMELL the fire.

So just because the CD didn't come on the intercom and say, "Hey, Cruisers! Don't be alarmed it you smell smoke on Main deck aft! It was just a small electrical fire! No problemo! We have it under control! No panic needed! Bingo in 5 minutes in the theatre!!!! Woo Hoo!!!"

Seriously, just because no one on Cruise Critic reported it (I did mention it in my review) and there's no catastrophie doesn't mean that there aren't minor fires on board ships.

And, gee, do you think maybe, just maybe, people overloading the electrical circuits could have contributed to that? Maybe?

Oh, no! It's just Carnival trying to be greedy.

Sheesh. Gimme a break.

OMG! I have to hold the button to dry my hair! How thoughtless! :p

Of course, I have short, fairly fine hair. Half the time I just go out on deck with it wet and let the brisk sea air blow it dry. It usually looks better than when I try to style it.

And so what if it doesn't look perfect? I'm on vacation! I'll never see any of these people again. Who cares if they don't like how my hair looks? But then, I don't "do" the photos on board. I have other things I prefer to waste my money on! :D

Not a smoker.

But you weren't on Miracle last December were you? Walking to my aft balcony on Main deck and I could SMELL SOMETHING BURNING!

Yep. Sure could!

Turned the corner and there were three men in full fire-fighting gear with an electrical closet open across from the cabin next to me.

It was NOT a drill. It was NOT practice. I could SMELL the fire.

So just because the CD didn't come on the intercom and say, "Hey, Cruisers! Don't be alarmed it you smell smoke on Main deck aft! It was just a small electrical fire! No problemo! We have it under control! No panic needed! Bingo in 5 minutes in the theatre!!!! Woo Hoo!!!"

Seriously, just because no one on Cruise Critic reported it (I did mention it in my review) and there's no catastrophie doesn't mean that there aren't minor fires on board ships.

And, gee, do you think maybe, just maybe, people overloading the electrical circuits could have contributed to that? Maybe?

Oh, no! It's just Carnival trying to be greedy.

Sheesh. Gimme a break.

OMG! I have to hold the button to dry my hair! How thoughtless! :p

Of course, I have short, fairly fine hair. Half the time I just go out on deck with it wet and let the brisk sea air blow it dry. It usually looks better than when I try to style it.

And so what if it doesn't look perfect? I'm on vacation! I'll never see any of these people again. Who cares if they don't like how my hair looks? But then, I don't "do" the photos on board. I have other things I prefer to waste my money on! :D

AGREED!! We had a similar experience on the Spirit :o. Unless you were there to see it you would have had no idea - no announcements, no alarms, no interuption of daily activites at all except right there in front of that mechanical closet.

But there were a few of us standing around when it was over looking at each other wondering "what if" it had not been discovered early :eek:.

Fire on ANY ship is scary :cool:!!

To easily cover this I would think if you bought a power strip new and kept it in its original wrapping til you borded they couldnt really say anything?

No not even if you bring a new in original wrapping. I did this and they still took it and returned at end of trip. And they also opened my wrinkle free spray I guess to see if it had aclohol in it and did not close it tight so I ended up with wet clothes.:rolleyes:

You know I have to say I'm picky about my hair but the blowdryers on board don't really bother me, yes I have to hold the button down but so?

It saves me room with my packing and they do the job you need them to.

It does really crack me up to hear all the stuff people bring on their cruises.:D Sound machines, fans, coffee pots!! Really? Why go away?

:rolleyes::p

No smoking except for some designated areas on Celebrity-- I think Holland America may follow.

Carnival Cruise Lines has designated the spa stateroom and suite accommodations (inclusive of the balcony), on the Carnival Splendor, Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic, as an entirely smoke free environment. Guests booked in a spa cabin agree to strictly comply with this non-smoking policy and refrain from smoking or allowing any other guests from smoking in the spa cabin. To preserve spa standards and ensure staterooms and suites are free of smoke residue, Carnival will assess a $250.00 reconditioning fee per spa stateroom or suite for guests that do not comply with the non-smoking policy. This charge will be applied to the guest's Sail and Sign account.

So would that mean that others you can smoke in the cabis/staterooms? that is the only thing I can find about smoking on the CCL website...

Or am I misreading it? Not looking in the right spot or just so far off base its not even funny.... ;)

Someone on here told me that the Ecstasy suites do not have hairdryers, but Host Mach says that the Cat. 11 & 12 suites do, indeed, have hair dryers. Why do some people just tell you stuff, when they don't really know?

This policy is no big deal to me....but it could be! I do wish Carnival was more clear what the policy really is. I am a loyal Carnival cruiser and cruise no other line...my girlfriend and I have actually argued over which cruise line to cruise (she prefers NCL)....I'll do my best to follow these policies...but I also understand how the females in my group (24 of us booked to cruise Carnival in Aug 2010) could find this a deal breaker for future cruising. I don't want my group inconvenienced but I also don't want to book a cabin where the counter tops are melted from curling irons/straighteners of irresponsible past guests. So, if Carnival's real intention is to provide real safety for all guests on board their ships, I have no problem with that. If they somehow unreasonablly overstep those guidelines though....hmmm...I'll have a much tougher time becoming Platnium.

I can live without the power strip, BUT do NOT confiscate my blower and flat iron. Those are deal breakers and would end Carnival as a vacation option for me! If anyone with thick, wavy hair has attempted the blow dryers on board, they know they just don't do the job. Especially on a caribbean cruise where the heat and humidity is a big factor. Without my 1800 watt blower (and yes I saw they removed the 700W language) my hair takes forever to dry and comes out painfully sad looking. When the dryers are fixed in the bathroom it is even worse as with the additional humidity from the bath and the lack of air circulating, I need another shower when I am done. Can I live without my flat iron if I have a good blower. Sure, but the flat iron is a godsend to those of us with hair that frizzes in the humidity.

When I am on a cruise vacation, I want to relax, but I also want to feel as good as poosible about my appearance when I leave for dinner and have those pictures taken that we will keep as fond memories of another great cruise and you know what? Why shouldn't I? If I can't have my blowdryer and flat iron, I would choose another place to vacation. After all, I spend two of my most precious resources on vacation. Time and Money. Why should I have to sacrifice anything? It is all about individual choices. What is important to me may seem silly to some but it is my vacation and I am going to have it my way.

Someone on here told me that the Ecstasy suites do not have hairdryers, but Host Mach says that the Cat. 11 & 12 suites do, indeed, have hair dryers. Why do some people just tell you stuff, when they don't really know?

Because a lot of people make assumptions: they assume that their experience and what they had is true for everyone. Posters should preface their remarks with, "I was in an interior/spa/suite and we had/didn't have them there"

Every cabin we have been in on the Carnival ships we have been on, from inside cabins to more expensive cabins have had a hairdryer in the room. Yes they are not that powerful, but I have found them just fine. I would love not to have to drag a hairdryer on a cruise, but we bring it not to use on the ship but often to use in the hotel pre cruise. I do not mind if Carnival collects these things and gives them back at the end of the cruise because we never use them in our cabin. Our last cruise we did not bring our iron, which we NEVER used on Carnival ships but instead we used it pre cruise in our hotel room. Now we make sure the hotel has an iron, and we leave it home.(Always looking for ways to lighten the load) I just never have a chance to iron things before we go so we iron them in the hotel and repack them so we do not need to iron on the ship. We have been to hotels that don't have hairdryers and the one they usually lend is broken.

Many people do not merely pack for the cruise but have tacked on a few days in the Port city to do other things. For us that accounts for a number of things, not allowed to use on the ship, but in our luggage. Maybe it is not practical for Carnival to do this, but I would like to see a place where you could "check" these items when you came on the ship. Bag the items, and hand them over, your cabin number is placed on them and they are returned the last night so you could pack them before turning in your luggage. Before the "crackdown" on liquor, we brought a vintage bottle of wine for my in-laws two days before we sailed and put it in our checked luggage. That was before they took liquor from your checked luggage. It sat in the suitcase until we packed it to go home with us after the cruise. That would be impossible now, but I would be happy for a place the "check" it when we came on the cruise ship and have it back when I get off. They do this at port stops. I do agree that this is not the motive of most people who have liquor in their luggage. We are spending a week in Europe before our Med cruise in the Spring of next year. The things I pack to use in that week (probably my iron), I would gladly hand over for safe keeping in my luggage. Instead, I will probably pack it and let them have to open our luggage and take it and keep it for me. If they don't find it, it will sit unused in our luggage. Wouldn't it be easier if I could have a bag to turn over with a label much like the luggage tags when I boarded? Why not add a contraband tag to the documents for people who wish to turn in these items for safekeeping. It might save doing what we will be forced to do, place something we needed for the previous week in our luggage to be "found" instead of checking it. Just an idea....

I can live without the power strip, BUT do NOT confiscate my blower and flat iron. Those are deal breakers and would end Carnival as a vacation option for me! If anyone with thick, wavy hair has attempted the blow dryers on board, they know they just don't do the job. Especially on a caribbean cruise where the heat and humidity is a big factor. Without my 1800 watt blower (and yes I saw they removed the 700W language) my hair takes forever to dry and comes out painfully sad looking. When the dryers are fixed in the bathroom it is even worse as with the additional humidity from the bath and the lack of air circulating, I need another shower when I am done. Can I live without my flat iron if I have a good blower. Sure, but the flat iron is a godsend to those of us with hair that frizzes in the humidity.

When I am on a cruise vacation, I want to relax, but I also want to feel as good as poosible about my appearance when I leave for dinner and have those pictures taken that we will keep as fond memories of another great cruise and you know what? Why shouldn't I? If I can't have my blowdryer and flat iron, I would choose another place to vacation. After all, I spend two of my most precious resources on vacation. Time and Money. Why should I have to sacrifice anything? It is all about individual choices. What is important to me may seem silly to some but it is my vacation and I am going to have it my way.

According to the newest list that Mach posted yesterday - in the sticky at the top of the page - they are NOT going to take these items unless they are deemed to be in poor working condition.

So...its all good!

All wattage restrictions have been removed from personal grooming items.

TopAre there restrictions on what we can bring aboard? RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates.

I'm happy that Heely's are banned - no more kids posing a safety hazard with them!

But the hairdryer issue is not to much of a fuss - I have shorter hair, so I can just dry it naturally. I don't know how Muetti, who also sailed with me with Carnival thrice since my very first cruise at 6, feels about this because she usually dries her hair with a hairdryer after showers....

They must have fallen and bumped their heads!!!! Any blow dryer that is worth more than $2 is 1800 watts of pure flame thrower and my waist length hair can't deal with anything less. Maybe i will bust out the paint and just paint over the numbers?

Ya know, all of this crap you have to deal with, these restrictions...it's enough to make me never want to cruise again. I haven't even sailed yet and I am already annoyed with this stuff. So far, it seems like flying out of country was way less of a hassle than this will be.

THIS...I agree 100%!

Archived