new prohibited item list

smd1234

Close your eyes. Okay, good. Now imagine that you are on a cruise ship. It is in flames. Okay, good. Now, decide if you are going to remain on the ship and be burned to death, or hopefully, die of smoke inhalation before the flames reach you, or if you are going to jump overboard and take your chances with drowning, sharks, or dehydration. Okay, good. Now open your eyes. Log onto cruisecritic/forums. Now... Voice your outrage about the new safety rules. Okay, good.

There is no way they will open and go thru everyones luggage.....my guess is they will leave it up to the cabin steward to see if anything looks like a fire hazard......seriously I don't think it will be any different except now if they do confiscate something of that nature.....they have their butts covered........I seriously don't think the wattage will be a deal breaker.....but will let you know when I get back next week:D

Sounds like somebody in upper management had an idea and it back fired if you ask me...

Agreed.....and as I stated before I have NO problem with anything in the policy - most of it does not effect us. But......then the policy becomes enforced on an individual basis and will continue to cause an uproar when it is "partially" enforced - in a "willy nilly" fashion. Because it is bound to be enforced differently on each ship - by each group of screeners or cabin stewards :rolleyes:.

I just have to chime in and ask why Carnival will not now allow travel irons and steamers with auto-shutoff that are less than 700 watts? Most are less than 1000 watts and yet they've been banned forever, while 1500 watt blow dryers have been no problem until now. If they're going to make this new requirement that electrical items be (1) less than 700w, (2) used with caution (I'd think that auto-shutoff and other safety features of most travel irons would meet that), and (3) be in good repair, then travel irons and travel steamers that fit that requirement should be allowed, IMO.

beachchick

Color me clueless, but can someone, anyone, point me to the flurry of fires, sparks, overloads that have caused all these problems? If you want to ban it/check it, then back it up with real life situations.

Doesn't Carnival realize the world is a changing??? They can't accomodate that?? We are not on the Titanic, times they are a changing.

I agree with all those who have posted that they don't go on vacation to be hassled.

The easiest way I've found to make sure I'm not hassled on vacation is to TURN OFF MY CELL PHONE and put it in the safe for the duration. I know we're all madly attached to these little toys, but trust me, it can be done and guess what - it probably eliminates the need for that power strip... :rolleyes:

Really, it looks like some of us have a lot different concept of vacation than others. For me it's a chance to be unplugged, and I really insist on taking it. I want to leave stuff behind, I'm going to an alien environment (the ocean) and I think that's pretty neat. Others seem to want to literally bring their homes with them - I was at a party in a suite some years back where the hosts were actually cooking in the cabin with a crock pot and a George Foreman grill. That's why they made these rules, boys and girls, because people were going waaaay too far.

My sympathies to anyone who has an experience like the earlier poster had in San Juan with her cord, but that's a training issue, not a policy one - Carnival has to make sure the luggage screeners know what's acceptable.

Otherwise, this "new" policy doesn't even move the needle on my Give-A-Hoot-O-Meter.

Let's go cruising!

Color me clueless, but can someone, anyone, point me to the flurry of fires, sparks, overloads that have caused all these problems? If you want to ban it/check it, then back it up with real life situations.

Doesn't Carnival realize the world is a changing??? They can't accomodate that?? We are not on the Titanic, times they are a changing.

Probably not. It would be next to impossible to rewire an already built cruise ship to have extra outlets in all the cabins. Let alone the extra breaker boxes and generating systems to accomidate all the extra power usage.

I can see their point....

I just got off my 16th cruise (Carnival). Anyone who travels will tell you that there are not any out and out rules for trains, planes, cruises, etc. It's more up to the marshalls who check you in. Some will confiscate expensive clinique makeup, some will let you go with a half bottle of water, some will let you go through Ireland and as you are leaving take a cuticle scissor you use for opening sugar-free drink packets away. And, yes, for the first time, I looked (on the Dream) at Carnival's hair dryers, and it would be useless to use it. I'd rather use my travel 1850 powered foldable dryer any day. Power strip, hell yes otherwise you are scrambling between rooms for the hair curler and dryer (if you could even reach the one in the bathroom). What we need in this country is one set of rules, modified at times of need so wherever and whatever we are traveling to and from, we know what is allowable and everyone is treated the same. Perhaps the American public would take it more seriously if it was all the same. No one (look at Times Square) wants to be in danger. And ladies, do trust that "gut feeling" about what doesn't look right. We are usually right! period!!!:)

I just got off my 16th cruise (Carnival). Anyone who travels will tell you that there are not any out and out rules for trains, planes, cruises, etc. It's more up to the marshalls who check you in. Some will confiscate expensive clinique makeup, some will let you go with a half bottle of water, some will let you go through Ireland and as you are leaving take a cuticle scissor you use for opening sugar-free drink packets away. And, yes, for the first time, I looked (on the Dream) at Carnival's hair dryers, and it would be useless to use it. I'd rather use my travel 1850 powered foldable dryer any day. Power strip, hell yes otherwise you are scrambling between rooms for the hair curler and dryer (if you could even reach the one in the bathroom). What we need in this country is one set of rules, modified at times of need so wherever and whatever we are traveling to and from, we know what is allowable and everyone is treated the same. Perhaps the American public would take it more seriously if it was all the same. No one (look at Times Square) wants to be in danger. And ladies, do trust that "gut feeling" about what doesn't look right. We are usually right! period!!!:)

Carnival and all cruise lines are companies that are not controled by the US government as to what you can bring on board....They, and all other cruise lines have the right to choose what you may or may not bring onboard as they see fit. Would you like the government telling you what you can and cannot take into a hotel or motel?

All this thing with power strips and such started with the cruise lines saying we have WiFi, cell phone service and so on and so on....I really wonder what happened to the days I started cruising when the only thing I carried onboard was my carry on bag.....:o

By the way...That is still the only thing I carry onboard....

I guess I'll have to leave my 4000w hair dryer at home. Come to think of it maybe I should replace it with a lower wattage model. On setting #11 it does cause the lights in the house to dim and the little wheel on the power meter spins so fast it starts smoking. I will miss getting the hair dry in 2 seconds.

4000w.jpg.33a33cc6a9d86f1aca13bc14ed63dc5a.jpg

Hey, y'all... please take a moment to look closely at that list.

The folks at Carnival really listened to input and I think they did a fine job putting it together... both to make us happy and to cover themselves.

The only thing that's really gone is the clothes steamer. I've brought one on the past nine Carnival cruises and never used it once... after all... there are irons available.

Personally, I think kudos are in order for a sensible resolution...

:)

The only thing I am having a problem with is finding a hairdryer that meets the wattage restriction. 700 watts seems a little unreasonable as most hairdryers greatly exceed this. Even if I am able to find one. Will it be any good?

I, for one, would certainly hope that there aren't "real life" situations to back this up...that means that potentially someone was hurt...and that is probably what they are trying to avoid. Regarding overloads, you would probably NEVER hear about this unless it happened to you or you were inconvenienced by it happening to someone else. I don't believe they would come over the address system to say "Attention passengers, we regret to inform you that there has been an overload in stateroom 6112, please unplug your power strips so it doesn't happen to you."

While we all like to think we are invincible and it won't happen to us, there is always a first. Remember...Titanic was coined as the unsinkable ship.

What constitutes a hazard? According to de la Cruz, "things that would raise concern include (but are not necessarily limited to): items in poor condition or otherwise appearing to be a potential fire hazard; an excessive amount of electronic items connected to power sources/overloaded multi-plugs, extension cords, etc."

When we did the Carnival Dream back in April, there were 2 outlets in the whole cabin, one was a 220 volt outlet and the other was a 110 volt outlet!!! THAT'S IT!! On a ship that just hit the water last September!!??? There isn't even an outlet in the bathroom anymore!! If they designed the ship(s) to stay with the current century, that is to have 1 or 2 more power outlets in each cabin, passengers wouldn't feel a need to bring power strips or extension cords onboard. Shame on you Carnival for introducing a short coming to the design of your ship(s) then telling us "Too Bad, Deal With It"!!!

What constitutes a hazard? According to de la Cruz, "things that would raise concern include (but are not necessarily limited to): items in poor condition or otherwise appearing to be a potential fire hazard; an excessive amount of electronic items connected to power sources/overloaded multi-plugs, extension cords, etc."

When we did the Carnival Dream back in April, there were 2 outlets in the whole cabin, one was a 220 volt outlet and the other was a 110 volt outlet!!! THAT'S IT!! On a ship that just hit the water last September!!??? There isn't even an outlet in the bathroom anymore!! If they designed the ship(s) to stay with the current century, that is to have 1 or 2 more power outlets in each cabin, passengers wouldn't feel a need to bring power strips or extension cords onboard. Shame on you Carnival for introducing a short coming to the design of your ship(s) then telling us "Too Bad, Deal With It"!!!

If people would stop buying Dollar Store power strips maybe this would have never happened.

For power in the cabin... I simply use the Belkin mini surge protector I have. It can power up to three things plugged in and 2 USB items at the same time.

They have them at Amazon for under $15.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO

21kLqW1W8kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nice going these are great and that would solve everyones problem!

...an excessive amount of electronic items connected to power sources/overloaded multi-plugs, extension cords, etc."

By definition, if you did not trip the breaker, then it is not overloaded! (even then, that may not be the case)

She also mentioned problems with the electrical systems. I call BS. I would like to hear about these so called problems. As I have detailed before, each room is now using LESS power than before due to different TVs and CFLs.

Always new Carnival was STUPID.

I never KNEW that.

Funny thing is will this have people saying ok restrictions modified now I can plug in my curling iron, hair dryer, laptop, blender, fan and noise machine all powered on at the same time.......

;)

Archived