To Hump or Not to Hump, that is the question?

On Radiance class ships (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel) some balconies on the ends of the humps are larger than standard. Beware that there are also some balconies (on Radiance class) that are smaller than standard. You can tell by looking at the deck plans. The agents at RCCL will tell you that ALL balconies in any particular category are the same size....NOT true!

The center hump balconies give you great views both outward and forward and aft along the side of the ship (if looking along the side of the ship is your thing!) However, all hump balconies have good views.

Personally I would not book a hump because I like privacy when sitting on my balcony. I have never had one, but I've always thought when on my balcony looking toward the hump, how awful it would be to have everyone being able to see me in my jammy's having my morning cup-o-joe. That's just my opinion.

No one can see you on a hump balcony any better than they can see you on any other balcony....no balcony is completely private, as your neighbor can (and probably will) "peek" around the divider!

You are likely to feel the ship moving less in the center so adding that to the view and possibility of larger balcony, I book them as a priority for any cruise on a ship that has it.

On Radiance class ships (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel) some balconies on the ends of the humps are larger than standard. Beware that there are also some balconies (on Radiance class) that are smaller than standard. You can tell by looking at the deck plans. The agents at RCCL will tell you that ALL balconies in any particular category are the same size....NOT true!

On the Mariner last year I picked a hump balcony that looked as though it had a larger balcony. Turns out, the extra space was INSIDE the balcony door, between it and the bed. And that was a good thing, as the coastal voyage had some cool days, and I put my balcony chair on the inside of the door - still had the view but I wasn't out in the cold! :o

The hump cabins are awesome on the Freedom Class and Voyager Class! They are centrally located, have a bit more room inside the cabin, and are near the stairs/elevators. I LOVE these staterooms!!!

BTW, there are no privacy issues unless someone peeks around the divider onto your cabin - which can happen just about anywhere. :)

Another D1 hump fan here! I absolutely LOVE this cabin type! It feels like because you are a little further out from the ship, you get a better view and the location can't be beat! Two cruises coming up and two midship humps booked for me! :D

We also spend time on our balcony. If you are planning to do that, it is definitely worth the extra $.

Tara

On the Mariner last year I picked a hump balcony that looked as though it had a larger balcony. Turns out, the extra space was INSIDE the balcony door, between it and the bed. And that was a good thing, as the coastal voyage had some cool days, and I put my balcony chair on the inside of the door - still had the view but I wasn't out in the cold! :o

You are correct. What I posted only applies to Radiance class ships as I said in my post (Mariner is a Voyager Class ship). The deck plans for this class of ship (Radiance) do show a larger or smaller balcony. At least it has always worked for me when choosing a cabin! Happy cruising!

Well I'll guess I'll find out myself come December, as our cabin is on the port side "hump." According to my research on CC, this one has a much bigger balcony..

Personally I would not book a hump because I like privacy when sitting on my balcony. I have never had one, but I've always thought when on my balcony looking toward the hump, how awful it would be to have everyone being able to see me in my jammy's having my morning cup-o-joe. That's just my opinion.

We also have our first port-side center hump cabin on The Voyager for our March of 2011 cruise. Anyone who wants to sit on their balcony and watch a 61 year young lady, in her pjs, drinking her morning coffee or her before-bed-cocktail all I can say is....bring it on! :p

Here are some pics of Radiance class and Voyager class "hump balconies". From the center on either ship you can see both forward and aft. :)

1. Radiance port side....notice larger balcony cabins are right (and left) of glass area.

Radianceelevatorside.jpg

2. Radiance starboard side......balconies on side of hump are not as large and are slightly curved

RadianceClassHumpBalcony.jpg

3. Radiance port cabin 8086 balcony

Radiance8086.jpg

4. Looking forward from cabin 7092....the solid white are is the lifeboart covers

RadianceForwardViewfrom7092.jpg

5. Mariner side view..........hump cabins are the same on both sides of the ship and the "bump out" is not as great as on Radiance class.

MarinerHump.jpg

We always book non-hump because of the "privacy issue". With the balconies we've had, if we look towards the "hump", we can see into their balcony. We wouldn't want others looking at us. So...we book no hump! lol! But it all depends on what you prefer. I'd imagine a hump balcony gives you a more interesting view of the ship while at sea...where in a regular balcony you only see water.

We always book non-hump because of the "privacy issue". With the balconies we've had, if we look towards the "hump", we can see into their balcony. We wouldn't want others looking at us. So...we book no hump! lol! But it all depends on what you prefer. I'd imagine a hump balcony gives you a more interesting view of the ship while at sea...where in a regular balcony you only see water.

I'm a little confused here... :confused: We had a hump balcony, but there was no way anyone could see into our balcony unless they were either off of the ship looking or peeking around their balcony divider. Maybe if the hump balcony was on the "edge" of the hump it would be easier for non-hump balconies to see into the balcony? In any case, if you're on the hump, then you can definitely see into other balconies (not all). Having said that, our view from the hump has been of water only. To see either forward or aft of the ship is a slight challenge - we literally had to "rubber neck" to get a so-so view.

We had a hump balcony on our Jewel Canada/New England cruise......beautiful room and the balcony was huge....didn't use it much it was way too cold.........but it was still so beautiful and large that we booked one for our Oasis cruise this November...I will say I have had an aft balcony which the size is awesome, but the movement is crazy....and me who doesn't get seasick.....had issues with the cupboards banging closed etc.....so I would rather a mid ship hump than an aft....best wishes to the b2b cruiser...I am envious..........

Archived