Fascination In Jacksonville

APDMOM

APDMOM, We were on the Sep 3 sailing, but we were on a portside balcony, so you prob'ly didn't get any pics of us if you were out. I was wondering - there is a small parking area at the north end of that big suspension bridge that route 19 passes over. (Bonaparte bridge?) The only vehicles there as we passed were police and port authority vehicles. Does that area have public access? The next time we sail out of there, we might "hang out" after our return and get photos of the sailing after ours.

BTW - Nice pic's all around. Do you mind if I print a couple of them out for my wife's scrapbook of the cruise? No other use, I promise.

You are very welcome to print the pictures for personal use.

I think I know the area you are referring to. We tried to go there once, but there is no access to the public. There are a few other options on the northern bank of the river: Go to where the ferry terminal is and park to the side. You can stand by the terminal and see the ship pass by. I have done that and they did not mind. The other option is to park just past the ferry terminal and have dinner or a drink at the Sandollar Restaurant. They have large windows to see the ship sail by.

If you are adventurous, you can go even further east on Heckscher drive and go to Hugenot Park. You can drive on the beach, park on the beach, and see the ship enter the ocean from there. :)

I certainly hope not, we've purchased a cruise starting September 4th! ;)

Fortunately for us, the contract with Carnival has been renewed. Now I can take many more pictures for many more months :D

You are very welcome to print the pictures for personal use.

I think I know the area you are referring to. We tried to go there once, but there is no access to the public. There are a few other options on the northern bank of the river: Go to where the ferry terminal is and park to the side. You can stand by the terminal and see the ship pass by. I have done that and they did not mind. The other option is to park just past the ferry terminal and have dinner or a drink at the Sandollar Restaurant. They have large windows to see the ship sail by.

If you are adventurous, you can go even further east on Heckscher drive and go to Hugenot Park. You can drive on the beach, park on the beach, and see the ship enter the ocean from there. :)

Fortunately for us, the contract with Carnival has been renewed. Now I can take many more pictures for many more months :D

Boy do I have my dates turned around...We left on Sep 4 this year, and will leave Sep 3 next year! :o

ADDED: The bridge I'm thinking of is marked as "Dames Point Bridge" on Google Earth. (And it's route 9a, not 19...) :(

Edited by oldrailfan
additions & corrections

Boy do I have my dates turned around...We left on Sep 4 this year, and will leave Sep 3 next year! :o

ADDED: The bridge I'm thinking of is marked as "Dames Point Bridge" on Google Earth. (And it's route 9a, not 19...) :(

Are you talking about UNDER the Dames Point Bridge? If so, yes, there is a way to get under there. People fish from there all the time, and I have gone to watch the Fascination sail away a lot of times there.

If you turn onto Hecksher Drive as you were going to the port, the first stop light if you are heading west turn left. There is a gas station there. Follow the road around until the first right. Turn there. follow the road around and you will then turn left at the stop sign. At this point you will see the bridge for sure. You will drive directly UNDER the bridge to get there. It's pretty cool under there!

Hope that helps!

Are you talking about UNDER the Dames Point Bridge? If so, yes, there is a way to get under there. People fish from there all the time, and I have gone to watch the Fascination sail away a lot of times there.

If you turn onto Hecksher Drive as you were going to the port, the first stop light if you are heading west turn left. There is a gas station there. Follow the road around until the first right. Turn there. follow the road around and you will then turn left at the stop sign. At this point you will see the bridge for sure. You will drive directly UNDER the bridge to get there. It's pretty cool under there!

Hope that helps!

Stef,

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of... if I could compose it right, I'd love to get a photo of the ship as it passes under the bridge. That site probably wouldn't have "shorebirds" elbowing for space.

'Course, hometown folks are probably pretty used to having the ship around, so it's not that big a thing. I'm just thinking of the ship/bridge thing. How 'bout at the other end, any under bridge access there?

Yes, I do have quite a group of requests for that day. Maybe everyone on your roll call will end up starboard side of the ship for the picture moment... :D

LOL I'm on the port side, but will definitely go to a public deck starboard to see if my DD and I can get in some shots!! :D Thank you so much for doing this... you are completely awesome! Great memories you are helping to create for so many others. Thank you!

APDMOM, where is a good place in Jacksonville to watch the ship leave? My son really wants to do that, but I haven't figured out where to go for it.

Hi, jaxpooh,

Our favorite spot is in Mayport. To get there, cross the intercoastal on the Wonderwood bridge, going east. Turn left at the first traffic light (A1A toward the ferry terminal). Drive for about .75 miles and you will see the beach on the left. The road makes a sharp right turn where the beach is. Hope to see you there sometime.

The ship passes that point between 5:20 and 5:40 p.m. on departure days.

Seattle.jpg

Edited by APDMOM
add times

Yeah, yeah....me too! :D Well, on the ship, not an aft balcony...darn it!

sk8rpatty, I left you off the previous quote... your photos are on the roll call for your cruise :D Hope you are having a great time!!!

Hey, ADPMOM!

It is nice to see a familiar name!

We sailed together on the Atlantica in April.

I wonder if you remember me? We met at the Meet & Greet and my daughter, Ariel, played with your little boy.

It is so nice of you to take pictures of the Fascination for the other cruisers! How fun is it to have a cruise ship in your hometown? We are sailing on the Fantasy out of Charleston in Dec because it is so close to home and convenient for us. However, it is still 4 hours away by car!

I see that you sailed to Alaska this summer. How awesome was that? We are planning to go in July 2012, but haven't decided which line or ship, yet. I guess we will see how this first Carnival cruise goes first. We probably need to decide by the time the itineraries open (I hear that will be at the beginning of the year.) Why did you choose Celebrity? Did your son go with you? Was it very kid friendly?

Edited by ANGSWIN

Hey, ADPMOM!

It is nice to see a familiar name!

We sailed together on the Atlantica in April.

I wonder if you remember me? We met at the Meet & Greet and my daughter, Ariel, played with your little boy.

It is so nice of you to take pictures of the Fascination for the other cruisers! How fun is it to have a cruise ship in your hometown? We are sailing on the Fantasy out of Charleston in Dec because it is so close to home and convenient for us. However, it is still 4 hours away by car!

I see that you sailed to Alaska this summer. How awesome was that? We are planning to go in July 2012, but haven't decided which line or ship, yet. I guess we will see how this first Carnival cruise goes first. We probably need to decide by the time the itineraries open (I hear that will be at the beginning of the year.) Why did you choose Celebrity? Did your son go with you? Was it very kid friendly?

Hi, Angela! Yes, I remember you very well! Andre still talks about Ariel and wants to know if every cruise ship has 'tag' place :D Glad you get to go on another cruise soon. We thought about doing Costa Atlantica again next spring break, but Carnival Dream is closer and a bit cheaper this time.

If you start planning your Alaska cruise, you may enjoy reading my picture review of that cruise. It was different from other cruises, but still kid friendly. They even allowed kids in the T-pool (normally for adults only) since it is cold in Alaska, and that pool is heated. We chose Celebrity due to reviews, price, and the roundtrip Seattle itinerary (cheaper flights).

Here is the link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1254858

Hope all is well!

Lizane

3 weeks and counting - I'm so excited!!!!!

Apdmom,

We are coming in a few days early to Jax and were thinking of visiting Fort Caroline and the Timucan Preserve. Do you know anything about this? We try to visit National Park sites on each trip where we can. Would it be worth an afternoon trip? We are staying out near the airport if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for all your wonderful pictures!!!:D

3 weeks and counting - I'm so excited!!!!!

Apdmom,

We are coming in a few days early to Jax and were thinking of visiting Fort Caroline and the Timucan Preserve. Do you know anything about this? We try to visit National Park sites on each trip where we can. Would it be worth an afternoon trip? We are staying out near the airport if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for all your wonderful pictures!!!:D

We do like the Fort Caroline area parks. However, if you are used to VA's parks, these parks may not be as interesting to you. They offer relatively easy hiking trails that are fun to explore.

If this is your first time in the area though, I would rather recommend a visit to St Augustine. If you are willing to drive an hour south on 95, you will not regret it. Historic St Augustine is beautiful & you can enjoy the old fort, also on the national parks list.

We do like the Fort Caroline area parks. However, if you are used to VA's parks, these parks may not be as interesting to you. They offer relatively easy hiking trails that are fun to explore.

If this is your first time in the area though, I would rather recommend a visit to St Augustine. If you are willing to drive an hour south on 95, you will not regret it. Historic St Augustine is beautiful & you can enjoy the old fort, also on the national parks list.

St. Augustine is wonderful! We spent the night there on our way to Cape Canaveral a few years ago. Visited the fort and then drove down to Fort Matanzas on our way down the coast.

Easy hiking trails may be good for us this time since I'll have my MIL and parents with us. They are certainly mobile but probably not up for any strenuous hiking.

St. Augustine is wonderful! We spent the night there on our way to Cape Canaveral a few years ago. Visited the fort and then drove down to Fort Matanzas on our way down the coast.

Easy hiking trails may be good for us this time since I'll have my MIL and parents with us. They are certainly mobile but probably not up for any strenuous hiking.

In that case, Ft Caroline is a great choice :). I would recommend a stop at the visitor center & a hike across the street -it has a separate parking area and a walk through some marshland. Also stop by the Ribault Outlook - drive about a mile down the road. It is on the left side of the street & affords a nice view of the St John's river. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi APDMOM - I don't remember which thread I already posted this to, but if you are in the neighborhood of the Fascination sailing out on the 21st of OCT - I will be up top waving to you... :D

Hubby has a gray beard and I am about 2 feet shorter than him, lol... j/k but there definitely is a height difference he has already told me that he will lift me up so I can see over the railing... !! :o

(thanks too, for posting all these great pictures of the Fascination - your photos have been my computers' wallpaper here and at work)

Hi, Kel040,

I have posted your pics on your roll call. Hope I captured you :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1273589

In that case, Ft Caroline is a great choice :). I would recommend a stop at the visitor center & a hike across the street -it has a separate parking area and a walk through some marshland. Also stop by the Ribault Outlook - drive about a mile down the road. It is on the left side of the street & affords a nice view of the St John's river. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much!!! 16 days until cruise time!!!:D

APDMOM, is the beach you're talking about by the Coast Guard station? I was on the

inaugural Miracle sailing, on the lift, when my niece called. Told me to go out on the

balcony, and they'd wave. I had no clue where they were, till we passed the Intracoastal,

and saw the little beach and there they were. They took our picture, but since her camera

was nothing like yours must be, you can barely see us.

I think it's great that you do this for people. My Women's Club is sailing Feb 24, but there

are only 2 posters on our roll call, which is different for me, most Roll Calls I've been on

are really active. (Princess and RCI).

Maybe a 4 day isn't long enough for people to get into a Roll Call.