Fascination In Jacksonville

APDMOM

My wife and I are on the Fascination December 11, 2010.

I am curious about how we leave Jacksonville. Does the ship go under the Dames Point Bridge? Or is the terminal beyond the bridge?

If it does go under the bridge about what time would that be?

We missed going under the bridge out of Tampa this February which many people said was a really cool sight.

Thanks!

If it does go under the bridge about what time would that be?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, Fascination seems to have a hard time leaving on time :) We sometimes see it pass us in Mayport at 5:20 p.m. and other days as late as 6 p.m. The cruise terminal is just past the Dames Point Bridge, so you will sail under the bridge within 5-10 minutes of departure.

Enjoy your cruise!

Good info for us. Thanks. I did not realize everything was that close - thought it was more like the Tampa bridge situation.

If I miss it this time, it will be my own silly fault!

Unfortunately, Fascination seems to have a hard time leaving on time :) We sometimes see it pass us in Mayport at 5:20 p.m. and other days as late as 6 p.m. The cruise terminal is just past the Dames Point Bridge, so you will sail under the bridge within 5-10 minutes of departure.

Enjoy your cruise!

This just off the 5:00 news in Jax, FL

Carnival Announces 7-Day Cruises From Jacksonville

Cruises Will Go To Eastern Caribbean

button_enlarge.gif

22404902_240X135.jpg

The Carnival cruise ship Fascination has become a mainstay in Jacksonville.

Carnival Cruise Lines has announced its first 7-day cruises out of Jacksonville. The longer cruises will start in 2011.

The Carnival Fascination, which currently sails out of Jacksonville on 4 and 5-day cruises, will offer the new 7-day cruises.

The Fascination, which underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation earlier this year, can carry up to 2,052 passengers.

The new 7-day cruises will go through the eastern Caribbean, making port calls at Grand Turk, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay, a private island in the Bahamas. The week-long cruises will complement the ship's current itineraries to the Bahamas and Key West.

“Jacksonville has already proven to be a successful homeport based on the convenient cruise options that we offer to consumers from across the Southeastern U.S.,” said Rick Ferrin, JAXPORT's chief executive officer. “We thank Carnival for this clear sign of its commitment to the bright future of JAXPORT’s cruise business.”

Departure dates for the week-long cruises include April 30, May 7, July 23 and 30, and Sept. 17 and 24, 2011.

Previous Stories:

FYI - They are posting cruise sail dated into 2012 from Jacksonville now. I haven't seen any new news on the new port yet but it looks like the ship will be here for a while.:)

I'm visiting friends outside of Daytona and was watching the news last night channel 4 I believe out of Jacksonville and running across the bottom of the screen it said something about it will start sailing 7 days to Grand Turk, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay I believe.

This just off the 5:00 news in Jax, FL

Carnival Announces 7-Day Cruises From Jacksonville

Cruises Will Go To Eastern Caribbean

Woohoo! :D I know many people don't like the port, but the city and St. Augustine have a lot to offer... I LOVE watching the ship sail out. Many more fun send-offs to go!

FYI - They are posting cruise sail dated into 2012 from Jacksonville now. I haven't seen any new news on the new port yet but it looks like the ship will be here for a while.:)

I can't think of many (really any) ports that Carnival has started sailing from and then abandoned. They are likely to stay in Jacksonville. It's good for the city to have their business, good for Carnival to have lots of available embarkation ports,,,,and GREAT for Grady who lives within driving distance of 5 of them. :D:p

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on her on the above date. Would really appreciate if you could get pictures we have 3 very very excited newbies and 2 very very very excited veternans going. LOL Thank you hope it works out

We will be on her on the above date. Would really appreciate if you could get pictures we have 3 very very excited newbies and 2 very very very excited veternans going. LOL Thank you hope it works out

I have you down on my calendar. :) Enjoy planning!

Thank you so much. We are having a blast down to counting the Saturdays until we leave for Jacksonville because it seems closer. LOL:D Only 8 more to go

Hey - any chance of adding August 21, 2010 to your calendar as well? We'll be on an aft balcony on Empress Deck (the higher of 2 decks with aft balconies)Thanks!

Edited by Luv 2 Float

Wife & I on going to be on the Sept. 13th cruise as well... both of us first-time cruisers.

Thanks for the pictures... especially the ones on the stern; since (as of now) we have one of the aft cabins dead-center of the ship (just above the SC in Fascination).

Luv 2 Float & Cheerose, I have you down on the calendar with a note to zoom in on the aft balconies :)

alexney, unfortunately we will be out of town at that time. Maybe someone else will volunteer to take pics for you.

Happy sailing!

What I have been hearing from Carnival is that they are happy with the passenger response to JAX sailings, the addition of 7-night itineraries next year is a result of that.

A new port facility east of the bridge is a must if they ever want to grow the business however. Fantasy-class is the largest vessel that can clear Dames Point. And yes, various proposals have been floated over the years, but now that the contract expiration is in sight (2012), a sense of urgency is needed.

We're sailing Fascination on Oct 25.

What about the Miracle?? She did a few cruises out of JAX during her inaugural season.

Indeed, the Miracle began it's inaugural season cruising from JaxPort.

She cleared Dames Point with only six feet to spare. :eek: I don't believe CCL wants to take that risk any more, so is why the "company line" is nothing larger than Fantasy-class.

2867661_200X150.jpg

Edited by tef43

Hi. I've really enjpyed your photos & my first sailing is July 24. If you could take photos, I would appreciate it. Thanks very much.

Hi! Unfortunately, I will be out of town on that day. I would have loved to capture your first cruise for you. Maybe someone else will volunteer... :) There are quite a few cruisecritic members here on the First Coast.

Enjoy your cruise!