Bats On The Carnival Dream??

timh111

We did the Western cruise on the Dream back in April. We stayed in a cove balcony on Deck2 (Starboard side) and at night, EVERY night, we noticed bats flying around the lifeboats when darkness hit. We were well out to sea and there is no way to mistaken the ill attempted flight of these winged rodents. There were about 3 or 4 of them we saw. Am I the only one that noticed this on the Dream? I wonder where they were nesting.

ekkkkkkkkkkkkkkk bats????? I'm terrified of bats, they are flying rats in my mind!!!!

Are there insects at sea? I hadn't ever noticed:confused:

Thanks for the nightmares :p;)

Carole

Sorry Carole...If it's any conselation, they stayed about 20 feet away from the lifeboats.

We did the Western cruise on the Dream back in April. We stayed in a cove balcony on Deck2 (Starboard side) and at night, EVERY night, we noticed bats flying around the lifeboats when darkness hit. We were well out to sea and there is no way to mistaken the ill attempted flight of these winged rodents. There were about 3 or 4 of them we saw. Am I the only one that noticed this on the Dream? I wonder where they were nesting.

What do you mean by ill attempted flight?? maybe they were not bats. :confused:

Bats fly quite well at night and usually do so in a tight repetative pattern.

I used to have 2 in my yard that would always do "figure-8" patterns every night.

I used to have 2 in my yard that would always do "figure-8" patterns every night.

Anyone who has even seen the bat flight at Carlsbad Caverns would appreciate their flying abilities. It is definitely one of my top 10 experiences. :D

Plain and simple..yes it WAS night but the ship wasn't in blackout conditions!! There is still light from the deck above us on deck 3 (which is where the bats were flying) and bats fly blind and confused when any light is introduced. And I know about bats too. I grew up in the suburbs of N.Y. and bats flew at night all the time. These bats (on the ship) WERE flying in figure 8 patterns and on occasion bounced off the lifeboats due to the lights eminating from deck 3. And their high pitched squeal closed the case of what type of "Bird" they were.

On occasion, I've noticed old bats on cruise ships but they don't bother me much. By the third day they're much nicer. :D

Ships have the blue haired old bats species!!:eek::D:rolleyes:

Maybe the OP saw flying fish!:p

Anyone who has even seen the bat flight at Carlsbad Caverns would appreciate their flying abilities. It is definitely one of my top 10 experiences. :D

Carlsbad is awesome. Best caverns I've ever seen. Hope to take DH & GK's some day.

For our whole cruise this April doing the Western on the Glory we had 4 bats also that wld follow the ship and eat the bugs from the spotlights. Not a night went by we didnt have them out there. We thought we were crazy, but nope they were bats.

We were well out to sea and there is no way to mistaken the ill attempted flight of these winged rodents.

Bats are NOT rodents!!! Bats are flying mammals in the order Chiroptera/kaɪˈrɒptərə/). The forelimbs of bats are webbed and developed as wings, making them the only mammals naturally capable of true and sustained flight. :p

Loved the comment about the bats getting nicer after about 3 days!!!:D

Eeek! Glad I'm on the port side and farther up. I once had 250 bats living in my apartment wall in Florida! They are protected and can't be killed, took 2 months to remove them all. No more close encounters for me!! I'll never forget the sound of them banging into my bedroom window trying to get home.

Archived