Buffet on Formal Nights

CTLeeA

Please I don't want to cause any problems. I understand that there are going to be different points of views and I really do appreciate your advise. Take a deeeeeep breath. Ahhhhhhh Ok...now I've heard that the buffet is not very big. The only thing I have to go on is R/C Windjammer. Is the casual dinning area similar to that? Thanks!:)

Formal Night is Formal Night all over the ship and no matter where you eat except in your room. If you eat in the buffet area you are still expected to dress "formal". You can usually meet with the maitre'd and arrange to have the same dinner served to you in your room if you do not want to dress for dinner. The food will be the same, but IMHO you really miss a lot of the fun.

Hope things get better for you.

Please I don't want to cause any problems. I understand that there are going to be different points of views and I really do appreciate your advise. Take a deeeeeep breath. Ahhhhhhh Ok...now I've heard that the buffet is not very big. The only thing I have to go on is R/C Windjammer. Is the casual dinning area similar to that? Thanks!:)

First of all, you havn't caused problems, someone here is having a tough time in her life, I suspect...

Haven't been on RCL, but... the casual dining on the M class (it's been a few years...) is just that, casual dining, very nice wait staff to serve you, DH and I did Infinity to Hawaii many years ago & used this option quite a bit, I think you may have to give them a heads up that you are planning to attend, on the S class there is a dinner buffet, servers only bring you bar beverages, (but they help you extra when they can) now I haven't been on other cruise lines (except 35 years ago on carnival with my folks) & other posters have stated that the buffet is not not as big as some, but we ate there quite a bit and thoroughly enjoyed it, lots of other casual options on the S class as well, now that they are "solsitizing" the M class, it sounds like there will be a few more casual options, while still maintaining the MDR for the lovely gowns & tuxes ( & I'm not being sarcastic, they look beautiful)

Not only is it not true now, but never has been. The buffet area and pool decks have always been casual at all times. It's a nice option for when we don't care to dress up.

Going to the dining room on formal night dressed casually is not appropriate whether you see someone get by with it or not. As my mother used to say, "if you see a goat jump off a cliff does that mean you should follow him".;)

You know, if the cruise line chooses not to enforce the dress code, then no one else should be the fashion police. It is a personal decision, and not for someone else to deem what is "appropriate" or not. We saw women in saris and kimonos and men in kilts. Is that what you deem appropriate for formal night? They told us that jeans were permitted in the MDR on the first night as a lot of people did not have their luggage and also on the last night when people already had their bags packed. If they want to enforce the dress code at all times, I would hope they would expand the buffet in the evenings from what little was offered there the one formal night we ate there.

OK..so now I am completely and utterly confused by all the posts. I agree that formal night is for the MDR only..after dinner people change clothes and go to the shows. You can eat casual in any other restaurant (no shorts etc) My question is this:::::: We are not bringing formal clothes (2 weeks of packing is enough)..I will have on nice slacks and a sweater, hubby slacks and a shirt....can we still come to the MDR ??? or are we banned because he is not wearing a sport jacket or suit..... I also don't understand why everyone is saying the buffet is not a FULL buffet ...HUH??? I will be on the Celebrity Millimium........

OK..so now I am completely and utterly confused by all the posts. I agree that formal night is for the MDR only..after dinner people change clothes and go to the shows. You can eat casual in any other restaurant (no shorts etc) My question is this:::::: We are not bringing formal clothes (2 weeks of packing is enough)..I will have on nice slacks and a sweater, hubby slacks and a shirt....can we still come to the MDR ??? or are we banned because he is not wearing a sport jacket or suit..... I also don't understand why everyone is saying the buffet is not a FULL buffet ...HUH??? I will be on the Celebrity Millimium........

Formal attire is for both the main dining room and the specialty restaurant on Millenium on formal nights. Most will be formally dressed at the evening show but not everybody and nobody is required anymore to stay in formal attire after dinner on Celebrity. Casual attire is fine for the casual dining venue (you pay $2 per person gratuity and eat in a section of the buffet where you order of a menu and are served by waiters-in-training). Casual attire is also OK for the buffet - but only a couple stations are open at dinner (pizza, pasta, sushi, stir-fry). When Millie goes into dry drock, a Bistro on 5 will be added, so at that time there will be another casual option for formal nights (Bistro on 5 is a creperie with a $5 cover; panini sandwiches and some soups and salads are also served).

Here is the dress code for formal night:

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

If you do not want to go with that, it would be best to opt for the casual dinner venue, the buffet or room service. While Celebrity does not enforce the dress code 100% of the time, they often do and most guests abide by the dress code. It would be a bit disrespectful IMHO to enter the main dining room on formal night dressed in casual clothing as it does impact the ambiance. Fortunately there are options for those who do not wish to participate in formal night.

You know, if the cruise line chooses not to enforce the dress code, then no one else should be the fashion police. It is a personal decision, and not for someone else to deem what is "appropriate" or not. We saw women in saris and kimonos and men in kilts. Is that what you deem appropriate for formal night? They told us that jeans were permitted in the MDR on the first night as a lot of people did not have their luggage and also on the last night when people already had their bags packed. If they want to enforce the dress code at all times, I would hope they would expand the buffet in the evenings from what little was offered there the one formal night we ate there.

Then I assume you would agree that it's not your business to tell people it's OK to go to the dining room in casual clothing on formal nights. If it's not appropriate for me to offer an opinion, I guess it's not appropriate for you either.:)

Then I assume you would agree that it's not your business to tell people it's OK to go to the dining room in casual clothing on formal nights. If it's not appropriate for me to offer an opinion, I guess it's not appropriate for you either.:)

You are absolutely correct. People will wear what they want to wear. If the cruise line feels that it is way out of bounds, they will discuss it with the person in question. It is not for us posters to offer opinions as to what is appropriate or what isn't. It is the cruise lines position to do so, not people on Cruise Critic.

The limited dinner buffet was the same EVERY night on Equinox 4/19 to 5/14. There was very little service but loud music to keep everyone awake.

There was no "alternate" dining section in the buffet at night with a menu or table cloth like the M class ships. It didn't matter what you wore, however the daily planner asked passengers to dress nicely for the theater on formal nights.

Except for those using the hot tubs, most passengers were nicely, if not "formally" dressed on formal nights.

The passengers didn't seem judgmental on that cruise. Instead, they all appeared to have a good time meeting each other and learning the differences in experiences.

Happy cruising.... if you want a good meal in the buffet go for breakfast or lunch.

Let me try and explain this a little better. First, you asked about your husband wearing slacks and a shirt and no jacket. That is not within the dress code on formal nights and he could be denied entry to the dining room. Probably not going to happen but it could. Secondly, the buffet for dinner only has stations such as pasta, sushi, salad, etc but it is not a full buffet as you would get for breakfast and lunch. On the Millenium they also have a casual sit down dinner in the Buffet ARea. It is $2.00 PP and reservations are requested but not alway necessary. The dinner is a sit down dinner, off a menu which is different from that in the MDR. This dinner is excellent and a good alternative to the MDR. Hope that helps...

You are absolutely correct. People will wear what they want to wear. If the cruise line feels that it is way out of bounds, they will discuss it with the person in question. It is not for us posters to offer opinions as to what is appropriate or what isn't. It is the cruise lines position to do so, not people on Cruise Critic.

I know what's appropriate for me. If I'm in the dining room on a formal night and the only person about wearing dockers and a polo shirt, I will feel I dressed inappropriately. If, on the other hand, I am suited up and you are dressed in a polo shirt shirt, I will assume you're OK with that and that met your definition of 'appropriate'. While I'm at it, boys and girls, plueeeeze don't assume that just because I live in AZ, I will agree with your opinion that our new immigration law is wonderful....when I state I don't and I further state I'd just rather eat lunch without debating it, show me some respect and conversationally, move on...this was dedicated to the many Californians on our very recent cruise who were determined to bully us into agreeing with them.

Happy cruising.... if you want a good meal in the buffet go for breakfast or lunch.

I guess I'm not as picky as I thought! I enjoyed the buffet on Solstice, hoping the one on the Equinox is up to snuff, we'll be doing intensive ports almost every day, DH is not even bringing a jacket this time.

We are on Millennium in mid December. We have land trips wrapped around either side of the cruise. We do not intend on packing formal clothing, or indeed any suits/jackets etc. Will our options be Lido or room service, or is there another venue where we do not have to do the formal routine. Thanks.

We are on Millennium in mid December. We have land trips wrapped around either side of the cruise. We do not intend on packing formal clothing, or indeed any suits/jackets etc. Will our options be Lido or room service, or is there another venue where we do not have to do the formal routine. Thanks.

Millenium has a casual sit down dinner venue set up in the buffet area. You order off a menu and are served by waiters-in-training. Most people enjoy the experience and find the food to be good. There is a $2 per/person suggested gratuity and reservations are recommended, though not required.

• 2 months later...
We enjoyed the alternative dining on Infinity set up in the buffet area each evening. You do need to call guest services sometimes during the day for reservations. We've done that on our last 2 cruises on one of the formal nights. Actually we enjoy it as a change from the MDR. They have their own menu and kitchen. Dress there is always smart casual. It's totally worth the required $2. tip.

If you choose to prepay all tips, does it cover this option?

The buffet on the S class ships have a few more options than on M class. At dinner on Eclipse there was also some curries and also a hot meat carvery but not a full buffet like they have for lunch.

We were on Infinity a few months back and there wasn't much at all on the buffet at dinner time but they did have the casual dining option in the buffet area.

Prepaid tips doesn't cover the $2 charge.

There have been two threads in the past few days from different people reporting the Casual Dining has being eliminated... We will have to see...

And I certainly hope that it's not true. At least they should keep the casual dining available until after the M class ships have been upgrades to include the addtitional alternative dining options. To me, it doesn't make sense to eliminate dining options when the trend in cruising is to provide more dining optiona.

And I certainly hope that it's not true. At least they should keep the casual dining available until after the M class ships have been upgrades to include the addtitional alternative dining options. To me, it doesn't make sense to eliminate dining options when the trend in cruising is to provide more dining optiona.

I totally agree.

Archived