C&A Changes - Positive!

Just off the Mariner today and they did not add a 15% tip to the spa bill. We tipped on top of the regular price.

We're recently off the Oasis and they DID add 15% gratuity at the spa -- and we are Diamond and had a 20% off coupon for a couples massage and usually just add the amount of the coupon back on as the tip, so this time it backfired on them. Also, we didn't get a "gift" on our cruise - we usually get a hat or a bag or something but this time, nothing but some chocolates delivered to our room on formal nights. No big deal but I kind of missed the "surprise" that's usually waiting for us one evening ...:mad:

We're recently off the Oasis and they DID add 15% gratuity at the spa -- and we are Diamond and had a 20% off coupon for a couples massage and usually just add the amount of the coupon back on as the tip, so this time it backfired on them. Also, we didn't get a "gift" on our cruise - we usually get a hat or a bag or something but this time, nothing but some chocolates delivered to our room on formal nights. No big deal but I kind of missed the "surprise" that's usually waiting for us one evening ...:mad:

They stopped leaving a gift (hat, bag,etc.) about a year ago. If you were around before then you may remember how many people complained about getting the same gifts cruise after cruise. :)

They stopped leaving a gift (hat, bag,etc.) about a year ago. If you were around before then you may remember how many people complained about getting the same gifts cruise after cruise. :)

Yeah, and those very people who complained about the free gifts were partially responsible for ruining it for everybody.

I, for one, enjoyed the hats, bags and other free gifts.

Are you certain that they were D+members and not suite guests? I can't usually distinguish between the two unless they mention their status or indicate what category of room they booked. :rolleyes: I didn't realize it was so easy to tell them apart. Perhaps on your cruise they wore special marks on their forehead? People who act as though they are 'entitled' to special privileges aren't limited to one group of cruiser or another. The behavior you have seen from Diamond + members, is very likely the same behavior that others may have observed from some suite guests.

That particular time they were D+ members. They didn't hesitate to say it and they had been on that particular ship many times before. I've noticed many of the people in the lounge who wear their D+ pin and yes, once it was on his forehead. :D - just over the band on his baseball cap. Many of the people in the CL will discuss what cabin they are in. So, yes, it's easy to tell who is who in most cases. I see many people who wear their seapass on a lanyard. That is also a dead giveaway as to what category cabin they are in. ;)

Gina

You're right! The Mexican Riviera is fun..they are very nice ports of call. But we have been visiting the same 5 common ones plus the more obscure ones, for the last 18 years.

I believe you have also booked the Radiance, Australia to Hawaii cruise

in 2012?...we are looking forward to that one! We have a Serenade cruise (2) booked next year out of San Juan. Serenade is pretty much our favorite ship. :)

See....we feel like we'd never get tired of the MR. Cruising Radiance out of Tampa to Cozumel and Costa Maya over and over will be a non-event port wise.

And you bet, We ARE looking forward to Australia to Hawaii. We are cruising with friends from Australia so that cruise is a keeper, CL or no CL. :) We plan to stick around in Hawaii for at least a week, too. LAND trip via cruise ship. :D We will look forward to seeing you on Radiance, too.

Gina

And what do you consider to be "due time"? This is something that has been discussed for months, if not years, on cruise critic and deemed to be long overdue. If they haven't deemed it worthy of correction by now why should we expect them to do so at some future date? If, as you claim, it will be corrected, why not do it now? Frankly, I still believe that whatever system they eventually establish to take the place of the current one, will be seen as unfair by some cruisers, while others will find a way to game the system and turn the rules to their own advantage.:)

I think they are waiting to correct the current system because first they have to kick us all out of the CL. :eek: Then they will correct the system and allow back only the top few. It's as simple as that. I hope my guess is wrong.

(obviously I had a little too much time on my hands today to think this all up. :rolleyes:)

Gina

we never denigrated the little gifts...actually, after arriving home friday from an RCI sailing with another banged piece of luggage, we were looking over our collection and we still have four totes saved from previous sailings that we will gladly use when the current bags wear out...yeah, we have a number of hats saved...but they will eventually get used...thanks RCI...

I think they are waiting to correct the current system because first they have to kick us all out of the CL. :eek: Then they will correct the system and allow back only the top few. It's as simple as that. I hope my guess is wrong.

(obviously I had a little too much time on my hands today to think this all up. :rolleyes:)

Gina

I worked all day, and then when I get home, after taking my DW to dinner, she tells me that there will be adjustments made to the D+ program for upgrades.

Seems that some that had 50 cruise credits were getting upgrades, where members with over 100 cruise credits were being passed by.

I'm told by my DW....that will change, and the D+ desk will start at the top of the list, and work their way down.......the way that it was originally set up.

Has anyone noticed that the Majesty and Monarch are full for June and part of July. B2B2B for some members, just to get the points.

Since we are being abandoned on the West Coast, we may have to do the same for 4 B2B's to hit 100, and then let the chips fall where they may.

While not that many will hit 100 cruise credits with RCCL, outside of a free cruise, some have mentioned that that may be another level.

This is all conjecture, and we will wait for RCCL to announce what their intentions are.......hopefully on Tuesday.

Gina.........hang in there!!:):D:rolleyes:

Rick

Weird complaints - The DL on the Freedom with its windows is a much nicer location than the CL. The Diamond evening event on the Navigator was held in a lounge (can't remember the name) between the Viking Crown & the card/game room. Beautiful sunset views. Don't miss the crowded windowless CL at all.

On Mariner out of LA, they had the Diamond Event in the Dragon's Lair, which I hated - dark, dark, dark! When we sailed her Eastern Caribbean in 2008 it was up in Cloud 9 (I think) and that was much nicer.

But in my case that "special cup of coffee " (aka capuccino) is my drink of choice since I don't drink alcohol or carbonated beverages. I don't suppose the other venues have a coffee machine like in the CL/DL, do they?

I confess that my one double cappuccino at the Diamond breakfast each morning was plenty for me on our last 10-nighter on Radiance. I never used the cappuccino maker in the CL. Kinda surprised myself.

I worked all day, and then when I get home, after taking my DW to dinner, she tells me that there will be adjustments made to the D+ program for upgrades.

Seems that some that had 50 cruise credits were getting upgrades, where members with over 100 cruise credits were being passed by.

I'm told by my DW....that will change, and the D+ desk will start at the top of the list, and work their way down.......the way that it was originally set up.

Well, they will SWEAR that they work from the top down, but we both know that isn't true. They have a crappy recordkeeping system, and that's what needs to change.:)

It is a fact that about the changes

The clarification is

Anything that is Crown and Anchor relates will be combinable

Next cruise with Balcony discount --coupons form Crown and Anchor

Balcony discount with coupon .However it must be a Crown and Anchor related coupon..Not for example a welcome back coupon

Shareholder will not be one of the combinable offers

Next cruises will only be allwed to be purchased by Crown and Anchor members , so any first timer wil have to join Crown and Anchor to be able to book a Next cruise

New booklet upgrades where as the Photo coupon will be making a comeback to the books and some of the other missed items

Also D Plus upgrades will be monitered and given in a different manner to prevent present problems

These are facts not speculation and I will let it go from there

The fact is we will know the facts when the announcement is made.

And what do you consider to be "due time"? This is something that has been discussed for months, if not years, on cruise critic and deemed to be long overdue. If they haven't deemed it worthy of correction by now why should we expect them to do so at some future date? If, as you claim, it will be corrected, why not do it now? Frankly, I still believe that whatever system they eventually establish to take the place of the current one, will be seen as unfair by some cruisers, while others will find a way to game the system and turn the rules to their own advantage.:)

The revamping of the system has been in the works for approximately five years now. As you know when dealing with huge billion dollar corporations these type of major changes take time. Years in fact. The system will be changed because Royal knows it has to be changed. And they've known it for quite a long time already. It's just making the fairest changes for all those involved and angering the fewest customers possible. June 1st is only the first shoe to drop.

Something just popped into my mind. :eek:

If diamonds are going to be happy...I think some of us D+ will not be happy. I happen to like going to the CL on the ships where it's available. I'll bet you anything we will be kicked out of the CL and have to go to an area for Ds and D+ for a full bar. If they still allow D+ to have CL access OR the "other" location full bar access, I will be happy with that. But if they kick D+ out of the CL and tell us to have our cocktails somewhere else, I for one will not like it. I might be in the minority.

But that is my fear.

Gina

If we do eventually get kicked out of the CL it won't be announced on Tuesday. It's my understanding that Diamond Plus will be happy with the announcement on 6/1 also. The more perks the better.

So these new C & A rules will definitely be announced and effective on June 1?

Announced yes. Not sure when they go into effect. This was suppose to be top secret. But leaks have a way of getting out.

the OP is correct, there are changes coming and they're supposed to be positive. i JUST got off the explorer and i was talking to some higher up's and they said changes to the current program will be announced june 1st. the changes are coming for sure so it's not just a rumor. i hope they're positive. i'd like the free drink, johnny rockets, combining discount perks back.

we'll see what they say on june 1st!

the OP is correct, there are changes coming and they're supposed to be positive. i JUST got off the explorer and i was talking to some higher up's and they said changes to the current program will be announced june 1st. the changes are coming for sure so it's not just a rumor. i hope they're positive. i'd like the free drink, johnny rockets, combining discount perks back.

we'll see what they say on june 1st!

I would love the JR as well because on our last RCI Cruise, it was on the Vision which of course doesn't have JR. I remember looking at the coupon booklet and seeing the JR coupon and kind of bummed out that I couldn't use it.:( I definitely plan on eating there when I'm on the Mariner in October.

I would love for them to change the C & A cruise credit. OK , OK, I am greedy. I just want to become Platinum already!!:D

Where would one look on the website to read about the changes?

I'm sure it will be posted on cc as soon as the new changes are announced; otherwise, you can go to RCI and go under Crown and Anchor. There is a tab for benefits and the different tiers are listed. :)

I see you are booked on the Radiiance Hawaii to Vancouver on 4/22/12. You should join our roll call! :D http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1188014

If we do eventually get kicked out of the CL it won't be announced on Tuesday. It's my understanding that Diamond Plus will be happy with the announcement on 6/1 also. The more perks the better.

OK, I feel better. ;) I hope you are right. I was feeling a little panicky yesterday wasn't I? :o

I think it was you that suggested following the tweets. I'm having them sent to my phone now so I'll be among the first to know. LOL Thanks for that (if it was you)

Gina

Has anyone noticed that the Majesty and Monarch are full for June and part of July. B2B2B for some members, just to get the points.

Since we are being abandoned on the West Coast, we may have to do the same for 4 B2B's to hit 100, and then let the chips fall where they may.

While not that many will hit 100 cruise credits with RCCL, outside of a free cruise, some have mentioned that that may be another level.

This is all conjecture, and we will wait for RCCL to announce what their intentions are.......hopefully on Tuesday.

Gina.........hang in there!!:D:rolleyes:

Rick

And there is only one little issue I have with the upgrade system - even if they start at the top as they should. Those at the top who get upgrades from anything below a JS to a JS or above, I don't believe they should get the extra cruise credit which they didn't pay for. That just keeps raising them higher and faster without the double cruise credit booking.

And I sure do know about the B2B2Bs being done just for cruise credit. We met the couple who were just announced as the first to get 300 cruise credits. The competition between them and the other man who was mentioned as having 300 cruise credits is amazing. Intense jealousy is what I noticed. One didn't think it's fair that the other is doing 3 and 4 night B2Bs just to be in first place. Meanwhile they were doing B2Bs on 4 and 5 night cruises. :confused: So....that's any different or better? LOL

I'm not convinced relatives of captains should be getting any cruise credits anyway. :rolleyes:

Fortunately I don't feel the need to compete. I was never very competitive at any point in my life....I just don't care. ;) It's all about the fun for me (and part of that fun has been time in the CL watching the competition between others :p)

But I would like an occasional upgrade.

Hangin' in there........

Gina

On Mariner out of LA, they had the Diamond Event in the Dragon's Lair, which I hated - dark, dark, dark! When we sailed her Eastern Caribbean in 2008 it was up in Cloud 9 (I think) and that was much nicer.

I confess that my one double cappuccino at the Diamond breakfast each morning was plenty for me on our last 10-nighter on Radiance. I never used the cappuccino maker in the CL. Kinda surprised myself.

Well, they will SWEAR that they work from the top down, but we both know that isn't true. They have a crappy recordkeeping system, and that's what needs to change.:)

We went to the diamond breakfast one time. It took SOOOO long to get the coffee that we never went back. Apparently the machine was broken on that floor and they had to go somewhere else for the coffee.

When we get up in the morning, whoever gets up first puts on something OTHER than a robe ;) and heads to the CL which isn't usually very far away and gets the coffee from the machine and brings it back to the room. We sure can't make the coffee maker in the room work since the coffee pack doesn't match the machine.

Personally, I'd make instant coffee rather than drink the standard stuff on board, if I didn't have CL access to that machine.

I'll go in the CL in the afternoon just to get some decaf - it's that good. I actually drink MORE coffee on the ship than I do at home.

One thing that would work a little bit for me...that free coffee coupon in the current C&A book. I sure hope they keep that in there because usually the coffee at Seattle's Best is good, too.

Gina

And there is only one little issue I have with the upgrade system - even if they start at the top as they should. Those at the top who get upgrades from anything below a JS to a JS or above, I don't believe they should get the extra cruise credit which they didn't pay for. That just keeps raising them higher and faster without the double cruise credit booking.

And I sure do know about the B2B2Bs being done just for cruise credit. We met the couple who were just announced as the first to get 300 cruise credits. The competition between them and the other man who was mentioned as having 300 cruise credits is amazing. Intense jealousy is what I noticed. One didn't think it's fair that the other is doing 3 and 4 night B2Bs just to be in first place. Meanwhile they were doing B2Bs on 4 and 5 night cruises. :confused: So....that's any different or better? LOL

I'm not convinced relatives of captains should be getting any cruise credits anyway. :rolleyes:

Fortunately I don't feel the need to compete. I was never very competitive at any point in my life....I just don't care. ;) It's all about the fun for me (and part of that fun has been time in the CL watching the competition between others :p)

But I would like an occasional upgrade.

Hangin' in there........

Gina

Good morning and I do agree with you about getting that extra credit if you are upgraded to a JS or above. If you pay for it then you earn it.

I think that Gerry actually has 300 cruises not credits. Greta has her own count, but doesn't have nearly as much as Jerry does.

As far as relatives of Captains earning credits..........as long as they pay for a cruise, then they are entitled to the credit.

Gina

And by that same reasoning I think that they should give an extra credit to singles paying double to cruise. I just always felt that they should get something for that extra money and it is not a big financial hit on the cruiseline.

Archived