Murder Mystery Dinner Poll

Did you find the Murder Mystery Show similar to land based shows?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Did you find the Murder Mystery Show similar to land based shows?

• Yes its pretty much the same and is worth the money
    • No its not as good and isn't worth the money

I am wanting to see if the Murder Mystery Dinner Show is like the land based shows we've gone to. Please share your thoughts and opinions as to if it was anything like the ones seen on land.

Thanks

Lewanda

I started a similar thread last week, because we are going on Mariner in 23 days, and several people said it was great and totally worth it!

I went ahead and ordered it for my husband and myself.

Of course it was cheaper for 2. But I am really excited about doing some new things. I think it is purely subjective as to whether it is worth spending the money on it. Everyone is different.:rolleyes:

There are many styles of land based 'murder mystery' dinners. The one on the ship is funny and campy. It is put on by the cruise entertainment staff. We have done it twice - I don't know if I would pay for kids to go. A lot of the price was based on providing champagne before dinner and wine with dinner as Portofinos is not that pricey without the show.

I didn't vote as I have nothing on land to compare it to.

We were invited to a murder mystery on the Radiance a few cruises ago, and found it interesting.

It started out in one of the lounges, with champagne, and part of the cast (made up of some of the ships entertainers) which, I thought, did a good job. It's comical and earthy!

Then on to Portofino's for the rest of the show during dinner. I thought the dinner was better than good, and show to be entertaining.

I'm a terrible detective, and didn't choose the correct character as the murderer.........but having done it once, I would not do it again.

I believe that they put on the same show on every cruise, so if you have done it once.........:rolleyes:

Rick

Go into it expecting a broadway play you will be VERY disappointed. Go into it expecting an over the top over acted campy adventure you will LOVE it. One of the female characters on my cruise in April was played by a guy who took the part and literally ran away with the show!!

If you're really "into" murder mysteries, this is probably NOT the experience for you! It's purely entertaining and fun, but a true mystery buff would probably be frustrated. It's very hokey and comical with over-the-top acting and hilarious characters acting out an implausible story. (In the one we attended, one of the female characters was played by a guy who was SO GOOD and so well made up that most of us didn't realize it until an hour or so into the evening. He gave an oscar-worthy performance!) The plot unfolds with the first scene or two in a lounge as cocktails and hors d'oeuvres are served, then it moves to Portofino.

Portofino offers a limited menu - choices of soup and/or salad, and choice of prawns or a filet as an entree - but the food is delicious and if you eat it all you'll be stuffed. And there is unlimited wine with dinner. The play goes on with scenes timed around the dinner ordering and service. Guests are seated at large tables - I think about 16 at each table - and each table collaborates and is able to ask one character a question to help them solve the mystery. (However the character can lie, so this questioning is more funny than serious.) Finally at the end, each guest offers their solution to the murder. Prizes are awarded (bottles of wine, some RC logo stuff - don't go if you're expecting a big prize:)).

I've been to a couple of land based mystery parties, and they were a lot more serious than this was. So don't go expecting to do serious sleuthing! We enjoyed the play, the evening's entertainment and great dinner were worth it to us, but we were expecting entertainment and not a serious mystery to solve. It's probably not something to do more than once, but it really was great fun and quite enjoyable. (Think Stephanie Plum, not Sherlock Holmes.)

I am wanting to see if the Murder Mystery Dinner Show is like the land based shows we've gone to. Please share your thoughts and opinions as to if it was anything like the ones seen on land.

Thanks

Lewanda

If you've gone to land based Murder Mystery shows as I have, you will be very disappointed in the show on the ships. The performances can not begin to compare. The performers are some of the Royal Caribbean Singers & Dancers and the "performance" is far too campy and amateurish... more like a junior high school performance. :eek:

We have been to many land based murder mystery dinner shows. The best so far land based we found was in Orlando(slueths) From the reviews it seems like the MMD we goto in Richmond,VA. Very campy and local actors :) Thanks for everyones input !!!

Thanks

Lewanda

I went on one on the Grandeur out of New Orleans about 7 or 8 years ago and it was fabulous- i really had a great time- you will love it.

Thanks

Lewanda

Lewanda- sorry i thought you meant murder mystery cruise- not just a dinner- i did a murder mystery cruise about 7-8 years ago that was fabulous- not ship actors- this was an outside group and i loved it. I have never done a murder mystery dinner put on by the ship.

Thanks

Lewanda

We've attended 2 Mystery Dinner shows, (Mariner and Brilliance)but your poll choices are a bit lacking. Yes it was worth doing but it is not done to the professional level as some land-based Mystery theaters are. If you happen to sit with a fun group and really get into the play, it can be a lot of fun. The campy acting in itself is hilarious.

There are two different types of shows on the ship...one is done by Royal Caribbean, and one by an outside vendor. The one by the outside vendor is spectacular, while the one done by RCI is cute, but only worth seeing once, although their are different shows on each ship...they have the same story on a ship, but with different endings.

Guessing is just that...rarely are their clues to tell you, and the outcome is different, but story the same, on each ship. The Vendor one is more interactive and goes on for some time.

We did the mystery dinner on Indy in January. Had a great time. It's like everything if you get involved you have a better time. :) Also bring your camera the food is something else. I never wanted to take pictures of the food on my plate before.

Unless things have changed I have to vote No, it is not worth it:(.

We did it on the Voyager of the Seas and we sat at a table with 20 other people. Ten on each side. Each table was suppose to work together and solve the mystery but the people at each end talked among themselves and the people in the middle had their own conversations and from what we heard no one was trying to solve the mystery .

We also did the Wine Dinner Supper and that was worthy every dollar we spent that night. We would do this one again even if the price went up.

Unless things have changed I have to vote No, it is not worth it:(.

We did it on the Voyager of the Seas and we sat at a table with 20 other people. Ten on each side. Each table was suppose to work together and solve the mystery but the people at each end talked among themselves and the people in the middle had their own conversations and from what we heard no one was trying to solve the mystery .

We also did the Wine Dinner Supper and that was worthy every dollar we spent that night. We would do this one again even if the price went up.

Rosie,

What is the Wine Dinner Supper? We are on the Voyager in Sept and wanted to do the Murder Mystery but are sort of reconsidering.

Archived