Photos of 2 week Alaska cruise aboard the Amsterdam

Thanks for sharing! My favorite ship. Our first cruise to Alaska was hindered by days of heavy fog and rain the whole week. Never did see the tops of mountains or the area around Sitka. Now I have!!!

Thank you for the beautiful photo presentation! It brought back memories of the cruise. I was looking forward to the Indonesian Tea, and somehow I missed it.:(

I appreciate your sharing!:)

Karen

My sister and I did the first 2 week Alaska cruise, and it was fabulous. I put together a photo/video montage and uploaded it to YouTube. If you're interested, the link is here:

Enjoy :)

I was on that same cruise so really enjoyed your photos. I've emailed the link to several friends and family members so they can get an idea of some of what we saw even though we didn't do some of the tours you did. What an awesome montage. THANK YOU for sharing.

Thanks you for so unselfishly sharing your lovely photos. I'm sure I can speak for most of us traveling on the Amsterdam that we really appreciate your efforts. I do have a few questions if you don't mine:

1) I saw a wool blanket in one of your photos. Where did you get those and were they hard to come by? I read that they were difficult to get and that if you got one you should hold it for the whole cruise. Was that your experience/

2) Did you do the sea otter quests in Sitka or a different tour?

3) In Sktrgay, was your jetboat up the chilkat river different from the hike and flot down the chilkoot river described in HAL?

4) What excursion is that in Homer? Kodiak?

Thanks so much!!!

Cheryl :)

Great photos/video. We are on the Amsterdam in 5 weeks and are counting the days.

Just booked this same cruise over the weekend. Really looking forward to going back to Alaska and getting to see several new ports from our last inside passage cruise.

Thanks you for so unselfishly sharing your lovely photos. I'm sure I can speak for most of us traveling on the Amsterdam that we really appreciate your efforts. I do have a few questions if you don't mine:

1) I saw a wool blanket in one of your photos. Where did you get those and were they hard to come by? I read that they were difficult to get and that if you got one you should hold it for the whole cruise. Was that your experience/

The wool blankets were located at different postions around the Lower Promenade deck; we could always find a selection available. We always folded ours and returned them when we were done.

2) Did you do the sea otter quests in Sitka or a different tour?

In Sitka, we did an independent shore excursion with Davey Lubin of the Esther G Sea Taxi - his website is

http://puffinsandwhales.com/

3) In Sktrgay, was your jetboat up the chilkat river different from the hike and flot down the chilkoot river described in HAL?

We did the Haines Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure in Haines, which we booked when we were on the ship. We took the "fast" ferry from Skagway to Haines, which is included in the price of the shore excursion. We were on the Chilkat river. There was no hiking involved.

4) What excursion is that in Homer? Kodiak?

In Homer and Kodiak we explored semi- independently. We took the HAL shuttle (school bus) into downtown Homer and walked around on our own, then took the shuttle back after a few hours. We didn't explore the Homer Spit, another section of Homer which is very interesting, colorful, and fun. We visited the Islands and Ocean Center, which I highly recommend.

http://islandsandocean.org/

In Kodiak, we did two things. First, we took the one hour City Driving Tour (again,on a school bus). Then, we hired a tax that was available on the dock, and the driver showed us around a little more for a couple of hours.

Thanks so much!!!

Cheryl :)

You're welcome. Enjoy your cruise!

My sister and I did the first 2 week Alaska cruise, and it was fabulous. I put together a photo/video montage and uploaded it to YouTube. If you're interested, the link is here:

Enjoy :)

Thank you Lisa Ann, ever so much for sharing that wonderful work of art. HAL should pay you for it and sell it along with their video! We really enjoyed our time on that cruise, and now I got to see what I missed on those shore excursions you took.

I have one question....when did you and Karin have time to open your shop in Homer?:D

Thank you Bob - and all the others who have posted such nice things about the video I put together. I'll have to see if HAL will give me an onboard credit for our next cruise :)

And if/when you get to Homer, definitely plan on lunch at the Two Sisters Bakery - they have great soup, sandwiches and the cookies are (or rather were) delicious. And many menu items have unique twists (white chocolate lavender scones or mediterranean mushroom soup, for example).

Just booked this same cruise over the weekend. Really looking forward to going back to Alaska and getting to see several new ports from our last inside passage cruise.

My wife and I are also looking forward to seeing the new ports. Our first cruise was in 2001 to Alaska with Princess and this is our first visit since then. The opportunity to do a full 14 nights as oposed to the usual 7 makes the long trip for us worthwhile.

Archived