Nervous we'll miss the ship

There are many of us who, for whatever reason, have to fly to the port city the day of cruise. I've done it several times and I've never had any problems. The last time we arrived two hours early! I've also flown in a day or two before when I could. Let's not use scare tactics. JWestShuh has insurance, and we can hope and pray for the best.

Would it be possible for you to take the "red eye" to your cruise port? I know that you would get there very early and would have to find somethng to do before boarding the ship, but the peace of mind might be worth it.

Marilyn

There are many of us who, for whatever reason, have to fly to the port city the day of cruise period. I've done it several times and I've never had any problems. I've also flown in a day or two before when I could. Let's not use scare tactics. JWestShuh has insurance, and we can hope and pray for the best.

Its not scare tactics, there were many with flight delays this last year and its not just the risk of losing the money, if you have insurance good, but its all the preparation, getting time off work, getting pets looked after, booking hotels etc. If I missed the cruise I doubt I could take another one until the year after. If you risk it then fine, but IMO it is a big risk.

Rellax JWestShuh- i have been on 3 cruises out of San Juan and I fly there the day of departure from Baltimore Maryland. I have done this in January and February when there is a very real threat of bad weather and have been very nervous about it and I too arrive around 4ish. I have never had a problem- at all. In March I particularly think you will be okay. My sailaway time was 8pm and I was at the airport at 4:15, got my bags (traveling with 6 other people so waiting for their bags too) and was at the ship by 4:55. Just in time to get something to eat and a nice drink!

Someone may get away with this but it's not smart if it can be planned differently. Three years ago we were hanging out at the pool in Key West the first week of April. Our friends back home in Michigan were dealing with a 20" blizzard.

We fly to San Juan two days early because we like to visit the area:) And stay the night we get off the ship cause' we just don't want to go home yet:D

There are many of us who, for whatever reason, have to fly to the port city the day of cruise. I've done it several times and I've never had any problems. The last time we arrived two hours early! I've also flown in a day or two before when I could. Let's not use scare tactics. JWestShuh has insurance, and we can hope and pray for the best.

It's not scare tactics, it is real life experiences. Many people have seen delays. People arriving for the cruise that left on a Saturday the following Tuesday in St. Maarten. It happens. While every cruise has a large percentage of passengers arrive the day of and have no issues at all it could happen. That is why she is asking. Weather in Michigan in March is a real factor.

Fly the day before if at all possible. We leave 1 day prior even in the states. With the airlines today, they cancel flights to Florida before spring break!!! Go figure. Especially when you live in snow country.

You will need a nice break by then don't stress over the possibility of a missed flight.

Good Luck:D:D

There's a difference between scare tactics and common sense. Flying in the day of is risky enough because of airline induced delays. But flying the day of from Michigan to Puerto Rico in March adds too much extra risk. Between the risk and the hassle, it's not worth it (to me). I wouldn't do it for an important business meeting and certainly wouldn't do it for a vacation.

I won't know until mid January if I can leave the day before. My husband is in med school, and missing a test does NOT happen. He won't get his syllabus until January for that particular semester. I guess I will have to wait it out until then. I read that people arrive the day of all the time...but the more I think about it, the more nervous I get.

I would be very nervous. The folks who do this probably don't cut it that close and they arrive in the a.m. or by noon at the latest.

Is there a way your husband could plan ahead and ask about the test situation? I mean surely there are exceptions but I know nothing about this so just trying to give you ideas.

If it were me, it would not be worth the anxiety.

I don't want to scare anyone and I'm sure that 99 out of 100 same day flights go well....but that 1 can mess you up. Why risk what you have been planning and working hard to get too....its not worth it and its not worth the stress.

Rellax JWestShuh- i have been on 3 cruises out of San Juan and I fly there the day of departure from Baltimore Maryland. I have done this in January and February when there is a very real threat of bad weather and have been very nervous about it and I too arrive around 4ish. I have never had a problem- at all. In March I particularly think you will be okay. My sailaway time was 8pm and I was at the airport at 4:15, got my bags (traveling with 6 other people so waiting for their bags too) and was at the ship by 4:55. Just in time to get something to eat and a nice drink!

I'd be very cautious about telling her to relax. The bad weather you describe in MD is no where near the kind of bad weather you can get in MI in Jan, Feb or Mar. You obviously have no idea. I live just east of her so I know what the weather can be like at that time of year. It is a very real concern.

Hi, I understand your situation. Hubby is a doctor and we got married in the one week he had off at Christmas when he was a 2nd year med student albeit twenty years ago. No time for a honeymoon. I don't know if I would recommend a 1st year med student asking the dean for permission on something to do with vacation....maybe the professor of the class.

What about a shorter cruise that you could add days of vacay at departure port that fits into his schedule?

What about cruise from Florida or at least leave your hometown night before(after exam) and fly half way there? Get early morning flight for rest of trip.

If you stick with your original plan, please really read through your insurance coverage. I know that when hubby was in school, we could not have afforded for unplanned hotel stays and flights. Good luck!:)

Why don't you try for an earlier flight if you are unable to commit to leaving the day before or evening the day before? We had an entire plane (mainly full of cruisers) that were delayed several hours into San Juan due to weather (Jan). Because there were so many of us, they held the ship. Instead of leaving dock at 4:30, we set sail at 10:30. Because of that (and WI weather), I would never chance flying in same day.

This is my first time flying to my cruise departure port next March. My husband and I used to live in Georgia and drive to port in Miami. Anyway, long story short, we are scheduled for a cruise out of San Juan next March and we obviously have to fly. My husband is a student, and not knowing his test schedule until mid January, I booked a flight for the day of departure. Well, we live in Michigan and I am starting to get nervous about weather delays. We will arrive in San Juan at 4pm - so that gives us a few hours of delay time. I know you can not read into the future, but I wanted to get a feel for how many of you arrive the day of versus the day before when flying?

We lived in Georgia too when we took our last cruise, which sailed out of Puerto Rico, we flew in the same day we sailed, as did our friends who lived in NY, I believe they got lucky with the weather. now that we are back in NY, we don't want to test fate, so we are flying in a day early for our cruise out of P.R. in Feb.

There are many of us who, for whatever reason, have to fly to the port city the day of cruise period. I've done it several times and I've never had any problems. I've also flown in a day or two before when I could. Let's not use scare tactics. JWestShuh has insurance, and we can hope and pray for the best.

As another poster said, insurance will not cover you for choosing a bad flight time. There are very specific time limits that will be listed in her policy.

It's not scare tactics, it's reality. I have had 1-2 hour delays on most of the last several flights I took; in her case, it could make a difference.

Finally, I'm sorry but hoping and praying will not get you on the ship if your flight is delayed.

While I understand why you are concerned about your flight, there really is nothing you can do until you find out his exam schedule. Once you have his schedule, then I would see if it is possible to move your flight to an earlier flight. Keep an eye on the flights you have already booked. Many times the airlines will change their flight times which will then give you leverage to make a change for no fee.

Weather at that time of year is a major issue but even coming in early for your cruise can be an issue if a snowstorm hits on the day you are scheduled to fly. This past winter proved that for many people who were trying to fly out of the east coast for cruises, many who flew on day of cruise made it since a lot of the storms were for the few days before people's cruises. You just never know.

Just sit back and see how it plays out. Don't start worrying too much now or you will get an ulcer!:)

We watched a family go through a horrible time in Port Canaveral as we boarded the Mariner.

We always fly in the day before and had lunch with friends and boarded late...we were about 30 minutes from the "dealine" to board and overheard a desperate conversation from a married couple who were going to board at the same time.

Seems their kids and grandkids were flying in that day and had just landed in Orlando...the plane had been delayed....they were waiting for their baggage and then were heading for the port. The parents were begging RCI to hold the ship until their party could board..they were informed that pax had to be onboard in 30 minutes or would be denied boarding. There was no way the rest of their party would arrive on time.

They stood and debated whether to board or not..another phone call..alot of weeping..and finally the two declined to board and left the boarding area to wait for their family to arrive.

Never saw them on the ship..so we have no idea whether they all met the ship in one of our ports.

the whole scene was heartbreaking.:(

I won't know until mid January if I can leave the day before. My husband is in med school, and missing a test does NOT happen. He won't get his syllabus until January for that particular semester. I guess I will have to wait it out until then. I read that people arrive the day of all the time...but the more I think about it, the more nervous I get.

People do arrive the day of all the time, but usually on somewhat earlier flights than this. Scheduled arrival at 4:00pm is a bit tight, though if all goes well, you'll make it.

Another possible option would be to take an evening flight the day before and book a room in an intermediate airport. You didn't say (or at least I didn't see) what your departure airport would be, but using Detroit as a departure, there were some reasonably priced Delta flights that left as late as 7:30pm and connected to a flight the next morning. That way, maybe you can stay clear of potential test times, have a somewhat earlier arrival time into San Juan, and be departing the day of from a city that is much less likely to have any winter precipitation at that time of year.

Or, since you did get insurance, you can stick w/ what you have and hope for the best.

Or, since you did get insurance, you can stick w/ what you have and hope for the best.

Insurance will not cover you because you booked a flight that came in too late. On my last policy, there was a 24 hour flight delay requirement before the insurance kicked in.

Would you consider a Sunday departure from San Juan? I realize this is a different idea from changing your flights - but I think it would give you the greatest peace of mind. RCL, Princess and Carnival all have ships departing from San Juan on March 6th. Your husband would not have to worry about his exam schedule. You would have the Saturday to fly down and that evening to unwind - then transfer relaxed and unhurried to the ship, whichever one you choose.

I think your current plan is very risky, and while it may very well work out - why put yourself under such stress?

Maddle

Most of the time, flights are on time or at least close.

"Most of the time" isn't good enough for us, I guess it is for some:rolleyes:. I only fly 4-5 times per year but that's more than enough experience to know I'm not going to fly same-day to a cruise in the winter. We'll be in San Juan two days early to relax and get ready for our next cruise:)

Would you consider a Sunday departure from San Juan? I realize this is a different idea from changing your flights - but I think it would give you the greatest peace of mind. RCL, Princess and Carnival all have ships departing from San Juan on March 6th. Your husband would not have to worry about his exam schedule. You would have the Saturday to fly down and that evening to unwind - then transfer relaxed and unhurried to the ship, whichever one you choose.

I think your current plan is very risky, and while it may very well work out - why put yourself under such stress?

Maddle

Very good point. She'd still have to change the return flight but wouldn't have to worry about exam schedules.

And as someone else said: keep checking the flight times. My CO flight changed 5 times in 2 months. One change was a cancelled plane which let me choose a new time for free. Usually if your flight time is changed more than 90 min you can change for free.

My recommendations (some of which have been mentioned above) in order:

[1] Find a cruise that leaves Sunday instead of Saturday, and fly down to PR on Sat

[2] Take a flight to PR on Friday night

[3] If no flights to PR late on Friday, fly to a mid way point (eg - Miami) Friday night, and catch a very early flight to PR Saturday morning

My recommendations (some of which have been mentioned above) in order:

[1] Find a cruise that leaves Sunday instead of Saturday, and fly down to PR on Sat

[2] Take a flight to PR on Friday night

[3] If no flights to PR late on Friday, fly to a mid way point (eg - Miami) Friday night, and catch a very early flight to PR Saturday morning

#2 is a great suggestion if nothing else is possible. I never would have thought of that. But living in Dallas we are pretty spoiled as most everything is direct.

Archived