Earliest flight out of FLL after cruise?

cookcamba

Does anyone have any advice on the earliest time I should be looking at booking a flight out of FLL after returning from a cruise? We are returning from our cruise at 8:00AM on Sat 8/14/10 and I found a 10:45AM flight out of FLL to get home but I'm concerned that may be too early. Is that time doable? Thanks in advance for any advice!

While there are usually no problems..that doesn't mean there won't be..I personally think that is cutting too close and remember how long that taxi line can be at the port...Why end your cruise in a rush panic mode if not necessary :eek:.... Some will say Yeah you can make it ..and if you feel lucky try !!! We usually take the 1:30pm flight back to LAX.. I think you should consider nothing earlier than 12:00pm..Why take a chance...Good luck enjoy your cruise and why be in a hurry to end it ?? !!!

If the ship arrives at 8am, it should be cleared by about 8:30. If you are in the first group off (usually self debarkation - carry own bags), you could be in a cab 9am or so and at the airport 9:15. After that it is a matter of working thru the airport. You will need to check in (unless done online on the ship), check bags, get thru security and get to the gate. How many ships are arriving the same day? Some will arrive earlier, putting you at the back of the line for checkin and security.

I would take a later flight

Call the cruise line to see what the earliest flight they recommend.

While things normally work well there are times that ships arrive to port late, the clearance time take longer as the ship will not be cleared until all passengers are seen and sometimes it takes longer to locate luggage etc. At the same time you want to arrive to the airport at least one hour before your flight.

While some will tell you that there will not be a problem I would book a later flight. But start with your cruise line to see what they advise.

Keith

Does anyone have any advice on the earliest time I should be looking at booking a flight out of FLL after returning from a cruise? We are returning from our cruise at 8:00AM on Sat 8/14/10 and I found a 10:45AM flight out of FLL to get home but I'm concerned that may be too early. Is that time doable? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Are you eligible for priority disembarkation? Are you willing to carry your own bags off the ship? Do you have any priority status with your airline that allow you to check in or go through security ahead of others? Having all of the above, I have booked 10-11am flights out of FLL several times and never had any trouble. There is always a possibility of delays in disembarking or getting a cab or whatever, so you may decide you're not comfortable with that early of a flight. (Many aren't.)

• 1 month later...

We are crusing on Equinox-(Celebrity) & return at 7 am to port at Fort Lauderdale. ?

What do you think about returning on Monday Feb 7th from FLL at 12:40 pm (SW Air ) --only other choice is around 5 pm.. or staying over an extra night...

Does anyone know if this ship & Sw air offer a luggage valet option to speed the process?

have things been running well at the port & airport?

Thanks

We are crusing on Equinox-(Celebrity) & return at 7 am to port at Fort Lauderdale. ?

What do you think about returning on Monday Feb 7th from FLL at 12:40 pm (SW Air ) --only other choice is around 5 pm.. or staying over an extra night...

Does anyone know if this ship & Sw air offer a luggage valet option to speed the process?

Thanks

Hi hcat --

Your ship arrives at 7:00 AM on a Monday. That's good, because you avoid the busy port days of Saturday and Sunday.

I, personally, would be OK with a 12:40 PM departure that day. Sorry, but I am clueless about luggage valet via Southwest.

AG

flights opened up in SW this am for our Jan/Feb cruise..

they offered a non stop at 3 pm so we booked that-- will probably sit a long time in the airport but prefer that over worrying about the disembarkation day events!!

they would not accept the free flight certif...(only good for a 9 pm flight) so we'll save it for a time when we are more flexible--

other than for holiday periods this is the first time we experienced the certif not being acceptable for any flight of the day--

I am very conservative about allowing enough time. After 30 cruises, I'm not so worried. I have never arrived at the airport after 9:30 AM even though we never make any move to disembark quickly. I just booked a 12 Noon flight out of Miami off of a 7Am arrival into Ft Lauderdale. I'm willing to deal with whatever happens.

Thanks

If the ship really gets in at 7:00 AM you are fine with a 12:40 flight with SW.

Keith

What you leave out are the consequences if you do miss your flight. And your options (i.e., what other flights you could take). What is the fee to change flights? What is the fare is higher for the later flight? What if there are no available seats, and you have to spend the night? Are you willing to run the risk of the extra charges to get that earlier flight? If we say go ahead and you miss the flight, you're the one who has to pay the consequences. I personally wouldn't want to rush and run the risk.

The problem is your ship gets in at 8am. Most ships get in at 7am. There will be a mob at checkinand at security by the time you get to the airport. I would take a later flight.

Although keep in mind that not all of those disembarking cruise pax will be able to check in and go to security that early. IME, FLL is pretty strict about not letting pax check bags until 3 hours before flight time. That means that a lot of disembarking cruise pax who show up at 8 or 9am, and have booked the afternoon flights end up sitting around waiting; you see them to the right of the ticket counters as you head around toward security and they never look very happy.

Archived