Royal 6/21/10 Rex and Pam do Alaska

pamwinn

Friday, June 25, 2010

Icy Strait Point

We had a leisurely morning taking the tender to shore around 10:00 AM. Although mostly cloudy, it was not cold and it was not raining though we were sprinkled on a couple of times during the day. We met up with Floyd of F.I.S.H.E.S at 10:30 AM and he took us to his charter boat, the Silver Spoon. There was one other couple with us on this whale hunt, Donna and Kenneth, from Alabama. That means we could say ain’t (if we were ain’t sayers) without being frowned upon. It was a great trip and we saw many whales again this trip. I wondered how many of these were the same whales as last year. The highlight would have to be the two humpbacks (they are so huge) that cruised around ever so slowly about 10 feet from our tiny little boat. The water is very clear which makes it easy to see these enormous beautiful creatures weightlessly gliding around. They look like submarines. I think they eat garlic because their blow smells sort of like garlic breath. That was the closest I’ve ever been to a blowhole and had no idea that it is so huge…six or so inches in diameter is how it looked to me. We saw an abundance of wildlife, eagles, sea lions, and sea otters. We saw a sea otter floating on its back dining on an octopus using his tummy as a dining table. The four of us were grinning from ear to ear when we arrived back in Hoonah.

We should have skipped breakfast because although it was close to 3:00 PM when we returned, we were not hungry enough to stop in one of the crab stands for a dungeness crab. That’s really too bad since the season just opened on June 17th and the crabs were caught earlier in the day.

I was anxious to ride the zip-line only to discover it was already closed because no one from the ship booked any afternoon rides. That means I have to come back…bummer.

The tender we rode back on had about a dozen passengers and we sat up front near the driver to avoid the exhaust fumes back draft that these tenders have. About half way through the twenty minute ride one of the passengers came up to the driver and ask him if this was salt water. Rex jumped in and told the man that although it is in fact salty, it’s salt content is not as concentrated as some parts of the Pacific Ocean because here the water is at such a high altitude. The man seemed satisfied with that answer but the driver really enjoyed it. Maybe that guy could be a contestant on a yet-to-be-created program to compete with that popular show hosted by Jeff Foxworthy. The new show could be called: “Are You Smarter Than an Octopus?”

We decided to have dinner in the Panorama today since we were traveling through Icy Strait and Point Adolphus and we knew we would see more whales. It was nice to be warm and comfortable when looking for them and the Panorama offers a nice view. I love them. I need a whale book so I can know more about them.

The entertainment for the evening was similar to the others and included the multiple dancing venues, Bobby Hamilton on piano, Cinematastic with Ross Burford and Anna Quale and Trivia. I guess we should go check out the Trivia. We won a lot of trivia contests back in the day when we could still remember stuff. I fear now, all we would know is that we used to know the answers. I hate it when that happens.

We requested and received eggcrate #3 today. Maybe we will get more than a couple of hours of sleep. Since it’s not dark until midnight and the sun is rising before 4:00 AM, I am hoping the extra comfort will keep us in bed longer. No, we can’t close the drapes. We might miss something and we are in beautiful territory now literally surrounded by mountains, most with snow on them. It’s lovely.

We’ve been told that internet access will be very sporatic tomorrow so this may be the last update for a day or two. Good night.

I know the small Royal doesn't have the piazza area the larger ships do but do they serve the fresh hot cookies like them? My last couple crusies have been on the Star and I've gotten hooked on those cookies. They are to die for and it's amazing to see poeple lining up for them fresh out of the oven :)

We were on this same cruise a few weeks ago. Every day at about 3:30 they put fresh hot cookies out in the buffet - DW was there pretty much every day waiting :-)

Wow, you smelled a whale's breath?? :eek: That must have been amazing! I wish I could have been there with you!

No internet tomorrow?? OMG! What am I going to do if I can't read your wonderful daily update till Monday? :confused::confused:

Hurry back!

Katherine

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Glacier Bay

We stayed in bed until we looked outside and gazed upon the majesty of Alaska. This is the part you see in pictures and advertisements. The sea was smooth as glass and as always there was stunning beauty wherever I looked. The first whales of the day were spotted around 6:45 AM. At one point there were four different pods in sight. Another time a whale was very close to the ship and was rolling and slapping his fin on the water making a loud popping sound. We enjoyed many whale sighting throughout the morning.

We spent the majority of the day outside on deck 9 staying under the side cover that edges the deck, as it was another chilly misty day with intermittent rain. I am frozen and cannot get warm. There was a constant ohhhh-ing and ahhhh-ing as the splendid-ness continually revealed itself. The earmuffs, silk long johns, and gloves surely paid for themselves today. Most people stayed huddled undercover or inside one of the various heated observance rooms such as the Royal Room or the Panorama dining area. It was difficult to find a seat for breakfast because of all the campers in the Panorama.

As the day winded down we went to the Elite lounge and spent time with our whale-watching buddies, Donna and Kenneth. Though more food is nothing anyone wants or needs at this point, this nightly venue offers a spread that includes several nice cheeses, crackers, and fruit for grazing and it is a pleasantly quiet place to order your favorite potion and socialize. All the tables come with a view. Then, believe it or not, we went to the Bistro where I ordered lasagna and Rex had another rare New York strip steak!

Retiring to the cabin we checked our mailbox and noticed that we had received an invitation to the Most Traveled Passenger Luncheon with the Captain and senior staff, which we are looking forward to.

This is my favorite place on earth. I am in awe of its majesty and wish I could see much more and hope to some day. I feel so much at home here. There are not words to describe or photographs capable of illustrating this beauty. However, I am beginning to wish for just one day without rain. We have not had one so far. Still, I’d rather be here in the cold rain, than any other place on earth. I am an Alaska addict. Some people are drawn to the warm sunny beaches in Florida or the Caribbean. I crave this raw, rugged, formidable wilderness. It gives me perspective. While I try to describe how this place makes me feel, I can’t find the words. I think it elicits an emotion that has no name. It feels good and right.

Just before turning in for the night we stepped out on the balcony in spite of Rex’s concern that his rapidly increasing girth might make it break off. We spotted more whales and many sea otters casting angry glances at this white behemoth disturbing their playground as we entered open waters. The navigation information on the television says we have traveled almost 4000 miles. I know I am geographically challenged but I am going to say that cannot be right. I think they forgot to reset the ship’s odometer. I am sure it goes by some other name but the function is the same.

Oh no! I missed Karaoke. I can’t believe it. I thought they did not have it on this ship. I love watching people sing Karaoke. Dancing was on the menu again and it seems to be the most frequented of the assorted venues. The movie for the night was Nine. Crazy Heart was showing on TV. There was also Jeopardy offered but probably a little too late for this crowd…us included.

Ah yes…time for the warm bed and dreams about tomorrow’s day at sea.

Dining Guide

Morning

Club Restaurant (dining room) 7:00AM – 9:00AM

Panorama Buffet 6:30AM – 10:30AM

Afternoon

Club Restaurant 12:00PM – 1:30PM Tea 3:30PM – 4:30PM

Panorama 11:30 – 2:30 (Lunch) 2:30PM – 6:00PM (Sandwiches), hot cookies at 4:00

3:30PM – 4:30PM (Ice Cream Bar)

Pool BBQ 11:30AM – 6:00PM Burgers etc.

Pizzeria 12:00PM 2:30PM

Evening

Club Restaurant Two seating’s 5:45PM or 8:00PM

Sabatinis 6:00PM – 10:00PM on select days

Sterling Steakhouse 6:00PM – 10:00PM on select days

Pizzeria/Trattatoria/Bistro 6:00PM – 12:30AM Sometimes the buffet is there until 10:00PM, Sometimes the Bistro begins at 7:00PM Menu changes daily.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sea Day

Blue skies! It’s warm(er) and sunny and I thought I had managed to sleep late only to discover that it was 6:30 AM. There are still egg crates to be had and I have requested yet another. I could not understand how three egg crates did not made the bed comfortable for me. I mustered the courage to pull back the sheet and take a look. I prefer not to look too closely at communal mattresses but I had to. Thank goodness I didn’t see anything that scared me. While there were three pads, they were all different. One was a true egg crate pad. The other two were flat foam pads and they were both less than an inch thick. They are more like mattress protectors than they are mattress pads.

It was a great day for people watching. As others have said so many times before, “Our strengths lie not in our similarities but in our differences”. On the surface it might appear that the demographics of this voyage would be pretty much “sameness”. Of the 700 or so passengers approximately all of them are older, white middle income Americans with partners and we pretty much fit right in there except for the income part. Maybe if we got part-time jobs we could jiggle our way up to the middle but I’ll save that subject for another cruise journal. So anyway as I was about to share: Upon closer examination this Royal hull reveals a grandly wonderful microcosmic diversity within which, dear reader, seems an opportune time to share some very private musings about some of the passengers. But, please let’s keep this between just us. Before I go further, let me make another disclaimer: This is for entertainment purpose only. We are not mean spirited so please don’t take it that way. It’s just a game we play. Some of you play it too, don’t you?

First, let me introduce Elvira. It is really hard to guess her age because she wears so much makeup and it’s bold and dark, plus, she is not overweight. I think she might benefit from an eyeliner pencil sharpener. Hers is obviously very much dulled. She has below the derriere, permed, and dyed jet-black hair. She wears skin-tight jeans, black of course, and 3-inch wide metallic Elvis belts that hang off-kilter around her hips. Coolness.

Penn and Teller are so named because the gentleman is a big man with very long, curly hair that he keeps in a ponytail. His hair is snow white though. It’s actually very pretty. We shared a table with him and his gregarious wife during the wine tasting and I can’t remember their real names. He is a retired aerospace engineer and has decided to go back to school and earn his doctorate in astrophysics. I am a little envious of that. I guess if I would stop cruising I might be able to go back to school for my doctorate. They are an interesting couple.

Flot and Jet Sam are a very friendly, very chatty, couple we see around the ship who are compelled to share their thoughts each and every time we see them. So far I haven’t said a word to them…can’t get one in, but I smile and nod a lot. My Indian heritage helped me name Man with Red Face and Mean Lady Without Dictionary. Man with Red Face was extremely angry about his dining arrangement and his face turned beet red as he expressed his discontent to the helpful Maitre d’. He was way over the top with his bullying. We met Mean Lady Without Dictionary and her husband in the elevator. Rex struck up a conversation with her husband. He mentioned that he was retired and Rex said that he heard that retirement was highly UNDERrated. Mean Lady Without Dictionary became foaming at the mouth irate. She half screamed at Rex, “What did you say? Underrated? Underrated? You have obviously never been retired!” Then her husband told Rex that he must be jealous. Rex resisted the urge to correct their misguided inference and agreed that he was indeed jealous. We exited the elevator holding back laughter as they sneered at us.

We are considering staying on the ship for another cruise. We won’t have any problem paying for it since today I received the following email: From Mr.lucas costa, “Confirm if you have receive 500,000,00GBP compensation funds, if not contact barrister Paul mills via(pmills@chita.ru) currently I am in Japan for a project, I believed you must have receive it by now, keep in touch bye. costa”. What do you think? I think his grammar worst than mines.

During the morning there was an interdenominational church service conducted by the cruise director. Other daytime activities included an assortment of card games, a lecture on birds by the naturalist (Ann Burgess), The Untamed World of Knitting (Okay, so maybe that’s not the exact title. How about: String Strategies of the Stars or Taming the Feral Fibers), ping pong competitions, wii challenges, trivia games, golf, line dancing lessons and much more. The evening entertainment included a show titled Magic & Merriment with magician Scott Alexander, general knowledge trivia, and a variety of music and dancing…but no KARAOKE.

We laid out our formal night attire two hours before time to dress. We had almost decided not to go and then about fifteen minutes before the Captains Circle Party we decided to go. I always like having our picture taken with the Captain. I like to hug and embarrass him (CY). I think hugging is mostly a southern thing and it surprises some people, especially a proper Brit. We had a nice dinner and I even ordered a desert so Rex could have two without our waiter knowing. We returned to the cabin to change clothes under the pretense of going back out but the ship was gently rocking, I wanted to test the fourth mattress pad, and that’s all she wrote.

Thanks, Pam, for another amusing installment! Very entertaining.:p

As for "Mean Woman without a Dictionary", I might have whipped-out the good old Southern stand-by response...

"Well, Bless your heart!":)

Thank you Pam!!!

I LOVE starting my day with your sometimes beautiful, sometimes so funny posts!!! :D:D:D

Love, love, love your posts! You brighten my otherwise cold and dreary (yes, it's foggy and chilly here in San Diego) Monday.

Katherine

Thanks, Pam, for another amusing installment! Very entertaining.:p

As for "Mean Woman without a Dictionary", I might have whipped-out the good old Southern stand-by response...

"Well, Bless your heart!":)

That would have been a perfect response :D

Pam - this is wonderful!!! You must have met my other half. He spends most of his cruises nicknaming people too!!! On the last cruise was a women who couldn't find her mouth 'cause her lipstick reached from her nose to her chin! To me she looked like a clown but the OH named her Miss Piggy!

I just read two journal entries. My dear, you most certainly can find the words. I see everything as you wrote it. Do not UNDERrate youself:):D

I love the names. We do it outselves, especially when we are with family or friends. It is never mean spirited but can describe people to a T. We

had a name for the Cruise person back a few years ago on the Crown. She was known as Cupcake. You can take it from there.:D We also give people their own songs. Lets just say hers was Witchy Woman......but we still bought our FCCs:):)

Until next time

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sea Day

Blue skies! It’s warm(er) and sunny and I thought I had managed to sleep late only to discover that it was 6:30 AM. There are still egg crates to be had and I have requested yet another. I could not understand how three egg crates did not made the bed comfortable for me. I mustered the courage to pull back the sheet and take a look. I prefer not to look too closely at communal mattresses but I had to. Thank goodness I didn’t see anything that scared me. While there were three pads, they were all different. One was a true egg crate pad. The other two were flat foam pads and they were both less than an inch thick. They are more like mattress protectors than they are mattress pads.

It was a great day for people watching. As others have said so many times before, “Our strengths lie not in our similarities but in our differences”. On the surface it might appear that the demographics of this voyage would be pretty much “sameness”. Of the 700 or so passengers approximately all of them are older, white middle income Americans with partners and we pretty much fit right in there except for the income part. Maybe if we got part-time jobs we could jiggle our way up to the middle but I’ll save that subject for another cruise journal. So anyway as I was about to share: Upon closer examination this Royal hull reveals a grandly wonderful microcosmic diversity within which, dear reader, seems an opportune time to share some very private musings about some of the passengers. But, please let’s keep this between just us. Before I go further, let me make another disclaimer: This is for entertainment purpose only. We are not mean spirited so please don’t take it that way. It’s just a game we play. Some of you play it too, don’t you?

First, let me introduce Elvira. It is really hard to guess her age because she wears so much makeup and it’s bold and dark, plus, she is not overweight. I think she might benefit from an eyeliner pencil sharpener. Hers is obviously very much dulled. She has below the derriere, permed, and dyed jet-black hair. She wears skin-tight jeans, black of course, and 3-inch wide metallic Elvis belts that hang off-kilter around her hips. Coolness.

Penn and Teller are so named because the gentleman is a big man with very long, curly hair that he keeps in a ponytail. His hair is snow white though. It’s actually very pretty. We shared a table with him and his gregarious wife during the wine tasting and I can’t remember their real names. He is a retired aerospace engineer and has decided to go back to school and earn his doctorate in astrophysics. I am a little envious of that. I guess if I would stop cruising I might be able to go back to school for my doctorate. They are an interesting couple.

Flot and Jet Sam are a very friendly, very chatty, couple we see around the ship who are compelled to share their thoughts each and every time we see them. So far I haven’t said a word to them…can’t get one in, but I smile and nod a lot. My Indian heritage helped me name Man with Red Face and Mean Lady Without Dictionary. Man with Red Face was extremely angry about his dining arrangement and his face turned beet red as he expressed his discontent to the helpful Maitre d’. He was way over the top with his bullying. We met Mean Lady Without Dictionary and her husband in the elevator. Rex struck up a conversation with her husband. He mentioned that he was retired and Rex said that he heard that retirement was highly UNDERrated. Mean Lady Without Dictionary became foaming at the mouth irate. She half screamed at Rex, “What did you say? Underrated? Underrated? You have obviously never been retired!” Then her husband told Rex that he must be jealous. Rex resisted the urge to correct their misguided inference and agreed that he was indeed jealous. We exited the elevator holding back laughter as they sneered at us.

We are considering staying on the ship for another cruise. We won’t have any problem paying for it since today I received the following email: From Mr.lucas costa, “Confirm if you have receive 500,000,00GBP compensation funds, if not contact barrister Paul mills via(pmills@chita.ru) currently I am in Japan for a project, I believed you must have receive it by now, keep in touch bye. costa”. What do you think? I think his grammar worst than mines.

During the morning there was an interdenominational church service conducted by the cruise director. Other daytime activities included an assortment of card games, a lecture on birds by the naturalist (Ann Burgess), The Untamed World of Knitting (Okay, so maybe that’s not the exact title. How about: String Strategies of the Stars or Taming the Feral Fibers), ping pong competitions, wii challenges, trivia games, golf, line dancing lessons and much more. The evening entertainment included a show titled Magic & Merriment with magician Scott Alexander, general knowledge trivia, and a variety of music and dancing…but no KARAOKE.

We laid out our formal night attire two hours before time to dress. We had almost decided not to go and then about fifteen minutes before the Captains Circle Party we decided to go. I always like having our picture taken with the Captain. I like to hug and embarrass him (CY). I think hugging is mostly a southern thing and it surprises some people, especially a proper Brit. We had a nice dinner and I even ordered a desert so Rex could have two without our waiter knowing. We returned to the cabin to change clothes under the pretense of going back out but the ship was gently rocking, I wanted to test the fourth mattress pad, and that’s all she wrote.

Hi Pam,

We are doing the Royal 7/5-19! We did the Diamond Princess in 8/07 so this is our second time to Alaska. We had great weather the whole cruise! Cruising the larger ships has been most enjoyable for us so we're wondering if the Royal will be a disappointment. I look forward to your "daily journal" as it is so entertaining and informative. Thanks for taking the time to share your writing "gift".

Judy (SaddleBrooke)

Monday, June 28, 2010

Seward

I forgot to mention in yesterday’s post what we learned about Lorraine Arzt, the God Mother of the Royal Princess. We have seen her around the ship several times with one or more crewmembers in tow. She is the most traveled Princess passenger with 5953 days at sea….WOW!

It never really got dark last night. We arrived in Seward around 7:00AM. The Captain said it was 48 degrees out but it did not feel that cool to me. There was no wind at all and a sweatshirt was plenty warm. I ended up wearing a t-shirt with a zip hoodie over it and would have been comfortable in just the t-shirt after we heated up from the walking. This is really a beautiful place. There is a lot of snow left on the mountains that surround Seward. I wonder if it ever goes away. On the approach I saw an area where the snow came all the way down to the water. We have been here several times but never actually explored the town so that was our plan. Last summer we took the Kenai Fjords National Park Excursion. I think it was a lot longer than the 5.75 hour excursion offered this year but slightly less extensive than Gilligan’s interminable 3 hour tour…threee hourrr tourrrr (just testing your age). We nicknamed it the Up Chucks Special because so many people were seasick. It was really unbelievable actually. I’ve never seen so many sick people. It looked like a scene from Night of the Living Sick Excursion People, only it was daytime. Fortunately, none of these people were able to bite us and we enjoyed the excursion, scenery, and more wild life than a 5-year-old stack of National Geographics. I think that is one of the better excursions here. The shorter Resurrection Bay Excursion pretty much retraces the cruise ship’s route.

There is a free shuttle service that will take you from the cruise port to several points of interest in the town. They use school busses, which seems a good idea since it’s summer break-time for the schools. Pick-up/drop-off points are clearly marked. If you want a nice walk you can stroll along the bay all the way to the Alaska SeaLife Center. It is a relatively flat walk. We walked up 4th avenue from the Sealife center. That appeared to be the steepest incline and it was no problem at all.

Adult ticket prices at the Alaska SeaLife Center are $20.00. There are several optional behind-the-scene tours and experiences for an additional fee. There are AAA, AARP, military and other discounts available. On the ship, tickets are $29.00 (HINT). We toured the center for more than 3 hours (threeee hourrr tourrr). The highlight for us was an up-close and personal encounter with a stellar sea lion. There are two levels of viewing, one above the water and then downstairs below the water. Even though I’ve met other sea lions before and thought I was close, you can get right up on this one. His name is Woody. He is pretty and huge, tipping the scale at over 2000 pounds. I loved watching him. More so, I loved watching Rex watch Woody. He is such an animal lover. The expression of shear joy, excitement, and love in its purest form on his face delighted me. On our walk back he said, “Did you see how Woody looked at me?” I would go back there.

There is an aquatic bird room that allows a very close experience with the birds, which also has a lower viewing room so you can see what it is they do when they disappear under the water. They are amazing, almost magic. There is also a touch-all-the-icky-squishy-things-and-you-ain’t-never-going-to-get-the-smell-washed-off exhibit that is enjoyable. If you tried to read and do everything in the center it would take the entire day, maybe longer.

We had lunch at Alaska Nellie’s Roadhouse. We decided on fish and chips (halibut), and it was very good by Alaska standards or downright impossible to get by Atlanta standards…it all depends on your perspective. We didn’t overeat but it was 2PM by the time we had lunch so it eliminated the possibility of going to the dining room later in the evening. When we returned to the ship, a crewmember inquired about our day and I told him we tried some of that halley boo. The look on his face was priceless. I think they are trained not to correct passengers.

Walking back up the gangway, Rex told me his moral dilemma of the day: When you accidently use the other one’s toothbrush, do you tell them? Hmmm, why would he ask me that? Mine has an intentionally pink cap on it. Pink! The girl one is pink! The boy one is blue!

Are you still humming that song from Gilligan’s Island? Me too.

The entertainment for the evening was an assortment of dancing venues, Comedy Showtime, and Bobby Hamilton on the Piano. I think everyone has started going to bed at 9:00 PM. I know we have. Good night all.

Great writing, sure love reading about your adventures. Looking forward to my day in Seward as I haven't been in a couple of years. Did you see a shuttle over to Exit Glacier? Thanks for the dining hours.

Is there an evening movie scheduled every night? I know nighttime entertainment options are limited on the smaller ships

There is a movie each evening but not always in a public venue. Sometimes you have to resort to TV. I did not see a shuttle specifically to exit glacier but there is a $64 excursion there. There is also a Hertz right at the Pier so you could rent a car easily.

Pam,

I am enjoying reading your "journal." It makes me even more excited about my cruise next month. I agree with your comments about Seward. We loved the SeaLife Center and are planning on going back next month. We did the 8 hour National Parks Tour, and while it was a highlight of our trip it was really really long and many people were feeling ill.

Please keep up your reports, they are so much fun to read. Also, if you have any helpful hints about the ship and activities, I would appreciate it (especially must do or must miss stuff).

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Archived