Luggage tags

stoneharborlady

Last time I cruised, Princess sent my luggage tags. Now we have to print them out ourselves. How on earth are they sturdy enough to withstand travel from the hotel to the pier, and then to your cabin, without tearing off the luggage? Do you laminate them or what?

Thanks, Karen

We printed ours and then used clear packing tape over them to make them waterproof and more durable. No problems that way and pretty inexpensive. We ducktaped ours together. Saw some people who used zip ties and others who stapled them without a problem. I used ducktape since I was much more inclined to bring duck tape with me rather than a stapler. Granted, if you are at a hotel the night before, just ask them. Have been told that the Princess reps at the airport have staplers, but no first hand knowledge.

Tim

Last month was our first cruise with the print your own luggage tags. I figured I would follow the instructions, but bring a couple of extras. Ours survived the trip (3 flights, 24 hours to Cape Town), however they got wet and one was unreadable. I ripped it off and borrowed a stapler when we checked out of the hotel. Next time I will try the wide, clear tape over the tag. Others have suggested punching holes in the tags and carrying twisters to attach them

We laminated ours with self laminate we purchased at Walmart. Then we attached them to our luggage with plastic zip ties. We had no problem with them getting roen off. Last year one came off of our luggage and it eventually was delivered to our room much later than the rest of our luggage.

In April, I flew non-stop from San Francisco to Beijing with 2 suitcases on United Airlines. I had reinforced the flimsy paper luggage tags with clear packing tape on both sides. When I claimed my bags in Beijing, one tag was completely missing, the other was hanging loose. After going thru customs and immigration and meeting up with the ship's transfer agents, I asked how my bags would be identified and sent to my stateroom at the port city when the ship arrived the next day. They didn't know--only saying that it was up to the shipboard people to figure it out. Luckily, I had printed out a duplicate set of tags and gave new ones to the agent to attach to my luggage. Fortunately the bags arrived OK at my stateroom the next day.

I think these cheap Princess paper tags are a disaster waiting to happen. Oh wait, the disaster already happened!

I still don't understand why some folks are flying with their tags attached.

The instructions say to staple the tag. I don't travel with a stapler. I figured I would try following Princess's instuctions. Didn't work. Fortunately I had an extra.

The instructions say to staple the tag. I don't travel with a stapler. I figured I would try following Princess's instuctions. Didn't work. Fortunately I had an extra.

I have been travelling with a stapler. Teeny tiny, comes with additional box of staples; buy in dollar store.

I just bought some luggage tags from staples today that area self sticking. I printed the princess luggage tags, trimmed them to fit...and they are very strong and have a loop to attach to the handle of the bag. I don't know if they are in the stores but I bought these in their online store. Price was about $5 for 5 tags.

We printed extra tags just in case....

Carnival has passengers print their tags too. We attached our tags prior to transfer to the pier using a stapler and all was fine...but we were lucky enough to have a night in Fort Lauderdale so we didn't travel to FLL with the Carnival tags and the tags weren't exposed to plane transfers and baggage handlers.

I like the idea of the label paper and using the packing tape. Good thread!:)

Last time I cruised, Princess sent my luggage tags. Now we have to print them out ourselves. How on earth are they sturdy enough to withstand travel from the hotel to the pier, and then to your cabin, without tearing off the luggage? Do you laminate them or what?

Thanks, Karen

I used the print at home tags for the first time April 2010. No problem.:) I did use a little clear packing tape. Made it from the baggage claim area to the ship all in 1 piece. I even printed an extra one and put it inside the suitcase on top for extra ID.

I still don't understand why some folks are flying with their tags attached.

There have been times in the past that Princess recommended doing this so that if luggage was delayed or misplaced, it would make it easier and quicker to identify it as cruise luggage and get it to the ship.

We have always booked our own flights then attached the tags before we board. If you purchased your flights through Princess does your luggage go straight to the ship? Would this be the reason to attach your tags from your home?

On our latest cruise June 5/10, the princess reps at the airport(shuttle to ship), did not have a stapler on them.

The baggage handlers at the pier do have them.........we carry a little dollar one but it is not required.

We have always booked our own flights then attached the tags before we board. If you purchased your flights through Princess does your luggage go straight to the ship? Would this be the reason to attach your tags from your home?

No. You still have to claim your bags no matter how your air is booked.

I just printed out my luggage tag.

However, I have some questions.

Sorry for my ignorance. Since it's my first time to cruise.

Is my luggage going to be 'checked in' before I enter the cruise ship, and that's why we need this luggage tag?

Do we need to print tags for those 'carry-on' bags such as computer bag, purse, and backpack?

Is my luggage going to be 'checked in' before I enter the cruise ship, and that's why we need this luggage tag?

Do we need to print tags for those 'carry-on' bags such as computer bag, purse, and backpack?

Yes, your luggage will be checked in and delivered to your cabin. And no, you do not need to have luggage tags on hand carried items.

You drop off your luggage with the luggage handlers before entering the building where you check in for your cruise.

You do not need the tags for any items you are carrying with you onto the ship.

Yes and no.

Yes, your luggage will be checked in and delivered to your cabin. And no, you do not need to have luggage tags on hand carried items.

It always kills me when I see people that put luggage tags on the bags they carry on with them! Some folks tag everything they have! I'm not surprised they don't have a tag on themselves!! :D

(And I don't mean to make fun of the person that asked the question.):cool:

Archived