10.55am flight out of MIA

onebzyldy

Would we have enough time from port to airport to catch this flight after our cruise ? ? ? Have cruised NCL b4 just cannot remember how early we disembarked and what their procedure is (can we pick when we want to disembark or can we do the self disembarkation with our bags?) Any help with this will be much appreciated :o

Happy Cruising.......

DonnaF :D

Personally wouldn't push that one, but, if you choose to carry off your own luggage you may make it.

On the Sky out of Miami, I believe the first people went ashore at 7:30. A cab ride to the airport should only take about 10-15 minutes, but you never know what will happen with traffic.

Also, since the Epic is a significantly larger ship, this could definitely affect how long it takes to get off the ship. The area for NCL where they check your passports and all (sorry can't remember the correct name right now) is not very large in Miami.

Good luck.

Well, we have a 10:40 flight out of MIA after our RC Liberty cruise next month. If we didn't take that flight, the cost was at least $100 more pp and we have 5 travelling. So we're doing walk off early, will take off the bags and grab a cab.

If you carry your bags off and you are the first to get off the ship you will be fine. We are usually off by 7:30-8 and 15 minutes to the airport.

The only thing is since the Epic hasn't done it's first disembark in Miami I don't know how bad it will be with so many passengers. I would think as it continues arriving into MIA it will become an easy procedure like the rest of the fleet.

I just have to ask what everyone's backup plan is?

Can you make these early flights? Yes, if you enjoy the running, the stressing out for 2 days prior, the pushing and shoving.

But, as you know as past cruisers, the ship belongs to Immigrations and Customs once it docks. NOBODY gets off the ship until cleared by them. The cruiseline has no control.

So, you get to the gate, the aircraft door is closed or the aircraft is gone,,, now what? If you're Southwest, Air Tran, or Jet Blue you have no code share partner to fly on. You may not have any flights out till the next day. No such thing a standby anymore. OK, maybe 2 or 3 seats for standby, but no way would there be 5 seats.

Just have a back up plan, that's all I ask.

Would we have enough time from port to airport to catch this flight after our cruise ? ? ?

If you're flying into Canada, absolutely not. If you're flying into a US city... maybe. But as so elequently posted by klfrodo:

I just have to ask what everyone's backup plan is?

Can you make these early flights? Yes, if you enjoy the running, the stressing out for 2 days prior, the pushing and shoving.

But, as you know as past cruisers, the ship belongs to Immigrations and Customs once it docks. NOBODY gets off the ship until cleared by them. The cruiseline has no control.

So, you get to the gate, the aircraft door is closed or the aircraft is gone,,, now what? If you're Southwest, Air Tran, or Jet Blue you have no code share partner to fly on. You may not have any flights out till the next day. No such thing a standby anymore. OK, maybe 2 or 3 seats for standby, but no way would there be 5 seats.

Just have a back up plan, that's all I ask.

Don't do it. It is too risky. It doesn't matter if folks think you should be able to make it or that you should rush off the ship. If the ship is delayed or if the clearance of the ship and the passengers are delayed or you have any problems or face big lines at the airport you have a problem.

Take a later flight.

Why spend time worrying about it on your vacation.

Keith

Well, we have a 10:40 flight out of MIA after our RC Liberty cruise next month. If we didn't take that flight, the cost was at least $100 more pp and we have 5 travelling. So we're doing walk off early, will take off the bags and grab a cab.

We also have a 10:40 flight following our October cruise. The later flights were significantly more expensive. I am not nearly as concerned about missing the flight home as I am getting to the ship! I don't really worry about it. Worse case scenario, we'll end up on a later flight. On the other hand, I might be back here after the cruise to receive my well deserved "I told you sos"!

We also have a 10:40 flight following our October cruise. The later flights were significantly more expensive. I am not nearly as concerned about missing the flight home as I am getting to the ship! I don't really worry about it. Worse case scenario, we'll end up on a later flight. On the other hand, I might be back here after the cruise to receive my well deserved "I told you sos"!

Well that is really not the worst case scenario. Worst case is that you miss your flight, and all the other flights are full and you have to stay over at a hotel and leave the next day. There is a reason the earlier flight was cheaper.

Keith

Well that is really not the worst case scenario. Worst case is that you miss your flight, and all the other flights are full and you have to stay over at a hotel and leave the next day. There is a reason the earlier flight was cheaper.

Keith

Keith, you speak the truth. The funny thing is I am as far as you can get from being a risk taker. Our flight to Mia arrives at 2:45 pm the day before.

To me, this is living on the edge:) On the other hand, my husband travels for his job and he frequently has last minute flight changes. I have already accepted the fact that we might be spending an extra night in Miami, although I think it is unlikely.

I will say this is our 9th cruise and we have yet to be delayed. I know it could happen but so far it hasn't.

. I have already accepted the fact that we might be spending an extra night in Miami, .

:D At least you have a plan and have accepted it. That's all we ask.

Too frequently, there are new travelers who miss their early flight and are upset with everyone else but the true culprit,,, themselves.

Very worse case scenerio

Husband: Let's book the early flight and save some money. I also need to be at work the next day.

Wife: I'd rather be safe and book the later flight. We can also do a post cruise excursion

Husband: No, I know what I'm doing

Fast Forward 3 months at departing airport; Husband and wife at gate with no airplane,,,,,,, poor guy,,, he's now just another dumb schmuck

:D At least you have a plan and have accepted it. That's all we ask.

Too frequently, there are new travelers who miss their early flight and are upset with everyone else but the true culprit,,, themselves.

Very worse case scenerio

Husband: Let's book the early flight and save some money. I also need to be at work the next day.

Wife: I'd rather be safe and book the later flight. We can also do a post cruise excursion

Husband: No, I know what I'm doing

Fast Forward 3 months at departing airport; Husband and wife at gate with no airplane,,,,,,, poor guy,,, he's now just another dumb schmuck

This made me laugh. My husband's goal is to not spend one extra minute at the airport. Many times, on our way to the airport, we have gotten stuck in traffic and the conversation has gotten a bit heated! I have started telling him the flight leaves 45 minutes to an hour earlier than it actually does to lessen my anxiety.

For our June cruise, we were traveling with our three kids. We booked a 4 PM flight and did as you mentioned, a post cruise excursion. When it is just the two of us, we are much more flexible.

If I have to come back and admit that it was a huge mistake, I promise to take anything dished out and not blame others.

Although we have never taken Royal out of Miami, both of our Royal Cruises had earlier arrival times and started disembarking earlier than our NCL cruise.

Would we have enough time from port to airport to catch this flight after our cruise ? ? ? Have cruised NCL b4 just cannot remember how early we disembarked and what their procedure is (can we pick when we want to disembark or can we do the self disembarkation with our bags?) Any help with this will be much appreciated :o

Happy Cruising.......

DonnaF :D

Did the early walf-off in January from the Pearl and we were through security, sitting at our gate at 8:25am. Be sure and go online and cehck in and print your boarding passes the day before.

If you can get off the ship by 9:00, you should be fine. MIA is a HUGE airport, very crowded and the security lines for International flights are long.

It took me 90 minutes to clear security for a flight to Germany. Then I had to haul my cookies to the gate, which was about a mile away from security.

My advice: have your documents ready, check as much of your luggage as you can to lighten the load in case you have to trot to the gate. And pray.

It's risky, but relatively low risk. We were always to the airport and through security by 10:00 on our last three NCL cruises (we've always carried off our own luggage). If you are prepared for worst case scenario of missing your flight and not getting out until the next day, I say go for it.

The night flights are about the same has the early flights.

You could (maybe) make it but like everyone else said why stress the last day of your cruise.

Just a case in point my first cruise, coming back into Galveston we sat at the port entry for almost 9 hours because of fog and the pilot boat could not get to us.

Just another input for you to think about.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

B

We have cruised out of Miami many times. On the last day, we have almost always gotten to the airport by 8:30a.m. or before & checked in our luggage. Then we flew on N.W. & would have a 1:00p.m. flight. We don't take out luggage off the ship, but we are in the 1st group after that one so we usually are called at about 7:00a.m. or 7:15a.m.

This time we are flying on United for the 1st time out of Miami. The latest flight offered was at 10:33a.m. unless we wanted to wait until the next day. We decided to book it since we have never had a problem before. We're hoping with United it will work out for us. We will check in outside the terminal which we do anyways & hope for the best.

We fly on their codeshare which is a small Continental prop to Orlando where we connect to a United flight.

Gail

I'll never forget last May leaving the Triumph out of the Port of Miami. Our flight was not scheduled until 4 pm out of FLL. Thank goodness! Customs did not clear the ship until 10:30 am. That was the first moment self disembark people could get off the ship. And it went very slow. We were able to walk of around noon. From now on, I always schedule a flight 1 pm or later, just in case.

Archived