Do you tip bartenders or cocktail servers?

kelligirl

They will show a 15% tip on the bill...already charged to you! We generally don't tip additionally at time of service....15% is adequate...but if we frequent one particular bar/bartender, we will give them something additional on the last evening, when tips are generally given out.

Now, if I asked for something truly out of the ordinary, I'd tip at that time, but for a beer or normal cocktail...nope.

In addition to the 15% added to every bar bill, I tip $1.00 cash per drink ordered. Also if the bartender [i choose to work with bartenders, not waiters] is a professional, I will leave a $5.00 when I leave the bar. Sometimes $10.00 if the btender is outstanding. Big tipper? No, selfish. Next day I come in the bar and my drink is in front of me in seconds, and it IS a 'good' drink.

Big tipper? No, selfish. Next day I come in the bar and my drink is in front of me in seconds, and it IS a 'good' drink.

I agree. On my last cruise, each evening on sail out we'd go to the aft area where the outdoor dining tables are and have a drink. When we'd go to the bar to get our drinks, it was always crowded yet our drinks would magically appear and we'd have almost no wait and they were great drinks. Bartenders have good memories.

I tip the bar waiters as I get my drink. And I tip the bartenders that I've frequented the most toward the end of the week. I try to find out what day they are going to get to go ashore and tip them the night before.

Never! And we have always had the best service........They will be across the pool from us and hold their fingers up.......like 2 more:confused:

15% x's how many drinks adds up just fine for them........

We've had that happen as well. The waiters definitely hustle the drinks and won't let you go dry if they can help it. But at peak hours, especially in the bars, that's when you get priority service if you've tipped extra.

Just my experience. ymmv.

Francie

We've had that happen as well. The waiters definitely hustle the drinks and won't let you go dry if they can help it. But at peak hours, especially in the bars, that's when you get priority service if you've tipped extra.

Just my experience. ymmv.

Francie

My experience in a crowded bar on the ships has been exactly as yours with no extra tip......and they know my name by the end of the first

day:)

In addition to the 15% added to every bar bill, I tip $1.00 cash per drink ordered. Also if the bartender [i choose to work with bartenders, not waiters] is a professional, I will leave a $5.00 when I leave the bar. Sometimes $10.00 if the btender is outstanding. Big tipper? No, selfish. Next day I come in the bar and my drink is in front of me in seconds, and it IS a 'good' drink.

We do the same, for the same reasons.

My experience in a crowded bar on the ships has been exactly as yours with no extra tip......and they know my name by the end of the first

day:)

That's so great to hear you get the same service as me without the extra tip. It doesn't surprise me though because you're a real charmer. :)

Francie

We do tip extra (usually the $1 per drink and then a larger tip at the end of the cruise if a partiuclar bartender has been good to us- or rather, my husband, since I'm not a huge drinker). My husband is a bartender, so he believes in "tip karma," (a.k.a. "what goes around comes around." :D :D :D So I guess that's a selfish reason too, LOL!!!!! :p

We do tip extra (usually the $1 per drink and then a larger tip at the end of the cruise if a partiuclar bartender has been good to us- or rather, my husband, since I'm not a huge drinker). My husband is a bartender, so he believes in "tip karma," (a.k.a. "what goes around comes around." :D :D :D So I guess that's a selfish reason too, LOL!!!!! :p

So 15% per drink is unreasonable.......enough to wish karma on someone:confused:

With their 15% gratuity added, I generally won't, but if there is a tip jar or bowl up front I'll drop a buck in there. That's plenty from me; besides, I am not typically hanging around at a bar anyway; generally the bartender probably won't see me again anyway!

I'm starting to wonder if people know how much 15% is on a 8 dollar drink lol!:p

I think it's exactly 15%. On land, my tipping starts at 20% for standard service. For excellent service it goes upward. I use the same guidelines at sea.

Archived