Your favourite RCI MDR Dessert

But the Grand Marnier Souffle was my favourite! :( And I almost never eat dessert.

My mom and aunt always have trouble finding good desserts but they loved this one. Too bad it's gone.

Personally, I LOVE the raspberry panna cotta and the strawberry napoleon the most.

It may be called "dessert sampler." It is a trio of desserts. The little chocolate one is to die for. I told my waiter I only liked the chocolate one and he brought me a plate of all three chocolate. It was heavenly.

Is that the one called the Choco-Chino Trilogy?

One time, I told DH to order the Raspberry Panna Cotta......and had the waitress put two on the plate. ;)

You have to see it to get a laugh..........

Essentially, it is a pink gelatinous mound with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry on top.

One time, I told DH to order the Raspberry Panna Cotta......and had the waitress put two on the plate. ;)

I do hope you had your camera ready for that one! :)

I'd have to vote for the Trilogy. Can't go wrong with chocolate!

One formal night on the Freedom, my wife and I didn't feel like going to the main dining room, so we hit the Windjammer. We were pleasantly surprised to see they were serving some of the same dishes. They had a whole serving station dedicated to the cherries jubilee, with all sorts of different toppings and two different flavors of ice cream. I think it turned out better than if we had gotten it in the MDR.

On one of our AK cruises about six years ago - we had delightful dining companions, a family from CA. The mother and I commented to the waiter one night that there was NOTHING chocolate on the dessert menu that night - and that it really isn't dessert without chocolate!

The next night we ordered our dessert but then a few minutes later, all of the waiters and assistant waiters lined up between the galley and and our table and started clapping -- then a parade of six pastry chefs came out trailed by a seventh who was carrying a full flourless chocolate cake just for the two of us! The other family at our table who had not been there the night before were speachless, but we shared with them anyway -- we all had two desserts that night, the one we had ordered and cake and had cake to take back to the cabin (as good as it is for dessert, it is even better for breakfast :D)

--

Then last year on our Voyager cruise in the Med, we had an 11-top (it was supposed to have been a 10-top, but they miscounted!) right by the the matre'd station. The matre'd "befriended" our table and would spend hours each afternoon making us some specialties from his home (near the Madras area of India) - so every night we had our regular dinner and then a tasting platter of what he had made for us - each course. There were light pillows of pastry flavored with those wonderful spice blends. He didn't even know what to call some of the dishes because they had been his great grandmother's recipies and she had her own name for each. He'd also do magic tricks, sing to us and tell jokes.

I'm sure someone will be along to give you their views and favorites.

We find the desserts in the MDR uninspired...many of them are gelatin based(ugh!)...I haven't found one that I can't live without.:( RCI really takes a back seat. to other lines, with their dessert selections in the MDR.

Totally agree with the "uninspired" description. The only ones I liked were the strawberry meringue one on the first or second night and the key lime pie on the last night. The creme brulee was good, too, but the dulce de leche cheesecake was neither dulce de leche flavored or cheesecake. Yuk. That's why I wish the frozen yogurt machines were open past six. I would have been just as happy with an ice cream cone for dessert every night.

The Grand Marnier Souffle is one of my favorites also.

The new one is pretty good too. It is chocolate souffle with espresso sauce.

Another vote for the Grand Marnier Souffle. I think we should start a "Bring Back the GM Souffle" campaign here on CC. I am sure it will have about as much effect as other CC campaigns..... ;):D

• 2 months later...
Another vote for the Grand Marnier Souffle. I think we should start a "Bring Back the GM Souffle" campaign here on CC. I am sure it will have about as much effect as other CC campaigns..... ;):D

I so agree. I loved that! I pouted about it on the Freedom in September and the next night the chef had made me one!!! :) If everyone asks for it all the time they'd have to bring it back! :D

I'm always too stuffed to really enjoy MDR desserts. If you have a Cafe Promenade, try their desserts, and also their Danish in the morning. Oh, we do ask for real whipped cream with our after-dinner coffee in the MDR. That is a dessert in itself.

explorerpix1083.jpg

Sugar Free Coconut Cake, strawberry cheesecake (I think this was the sugar free one), Key Lime Pie, and Safron (I think that was what it was called). I also have a cherries Jubilee picture somewhere...I'll keep hunting!:D

explorerpix1064.jpg

explorerpix086.jpg

explorerpix115.jpg

Speaking of the chocolate souffle... anyone know if there is a particular night they serve usually serve it, like on Formal Night? That is my all time favorite! We are getting ready to cruise on Navigator on the 20th for 5 nights! We want to go to Chops one night but I am afraid I will miss the souffle!

I am not a big dessert fan...but that is the one I look forward to each cruise!!

I am not a huge dessert fan and don't like to eat dessert after a big meal. My 2 favorite desserts are the flourless chocolate cake and the Mississippi Mud Pie in Chops. If I don't like the options on the menu, I will usually order ice cream or sherbert.

Archived