Few last minute questions from first-time cruiser

hmp2z

Hi! I have a few last-minute questions before our August cruise, and was hoping someone here might know the answer. We're going on the Solstice, on a Western Caribbean cruise.

1. I got the electronic travel documents, and one of the forms is a credit card form for my account. Do I need to fill that out before I board? Can I not do that online?

2. Beds - I see on the floor plan that there are 2 small beds, but in photos it looks like they've been pushed together. Do we need to request in advance to have the beds pushed together, or is that something that we do once we get on board?

3. Iron - it says that we can't bring an iron - can we bring a small, hand-held steamer so that our clothes aren't wrinkled? Or do they have something in our room that we use to de-wrinkle our clothes? (We're staying aquaclass).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers!

Heather W

Hello, "hmp2z."

1. You need to perform what is called "on-line check-in," if you have not already done so. I cannot get a mental picture of the credit card form that you mentioned. Why not call Celebrity (toll-free) and ask about it.

2. When you call Celebrity, please tell the vacation planner how you'd like to have the beds set up -- and ask for special attention to your request, so that it is not overlooked! Usually -- but definitely not always -- the message will get through to your stateroom attendant, and the beds will be the way you want them. When you board, please go right to your stateroom and check the setup. If it is wrong, don't be afraid to "raise hell" about it, demanding that it be fixed immediately (while you are at lunch). Otherwise, it may not be done until evening (while you are at dinner), and a bad bed-setup can create a problem for your afternoon unpacking.]

3. You can take a steamer (or liquid de-wrinkler) aboard, since neither is provided.

Have fun ... and welcome to CruiseCritic.

Remember once on board to visit the dining room to check your table assignment. You can request a switch if you are not satisfied with your location. A head waiter will be in the MDR by mid afternoon on your embarkation day to handle requests.

Pack your swim stuff and clothes for first night dinner in a carry on, just in case your luggage gets delayed.

Have a blast.

You can give your credit card number when you check in or enter it on the online form, if you feel okay about that.

When you book your cruise you are asked how you want the beds arranged. And it is done that way. If you booked with a TA , they should have asked you. If you booked thru X they too would have asked . It's part of the booking process, along with dining seating and time. Did you book those? Either way, call whomever you used and make sure your need was recorded.

Don't know why you were advised to "raise hell" about bed arrangements onboard. :rolleyes: :eek: You will meet your room steward when you get into your room. If the beds aren't the way you want, he/she will make sure they are done. If you have to unpack with the beds apart, it doesn't affect unpacking in the least. :confused: Rest assured the beds will be moved. But the idea that you need to "raise hell" about ANYTHING on Celebrity (especially such a minor adjustment) is beyond me.:o They are very customer service oriented. :)

There is a list of prohibited items on the X site. I believe steamers are on that list, as well as irons. Double check there. Take along the spray-on dewrinkler, pack with tissue or plastic cleaner bags between wrinkables and unpack asap. You will be fine. Also, fyi, X offers a very reasonably cost pressing service which we have used for a couple items in the past. In fact all their laundry and dry cleaning is well priced. My dh has his dark suit cleaned onboard...waaay more INexpensive than at our home dry cleaners.;)

Happy cruising! Solstice is beautiful and being in Aqua class is an added bonus.

As a passenger traveling in Aqua Class, you will be assigned to Blu, not the MDR (unless you are traveling with others who are not in AQ and you all want to dine together.)

Be careful about choosing your dining preference. Do not choose "Select" dining if you want to dine in Blu. That will put you in the MDR without a set table. Choose "Traditional" and you will be in Blu. You may dine in Blu at any time for dinner and, of course, for breakfast. You may be requested to arrive at either one of two times on the first night, but that is really only for Blu to get a handle on what time people want to dine, as Blu only holds about half of the passengers in AQ at any one time.

I think I have that right. BTW, Blu is excellent.

As a passenger traveling in Aqua Class, you will be assigned to Blu, not the MDR (unless you are traveling with others who are not in AQ and you all want to dine together.)

Be careful about choosing your dining preference. Do not choose "Select" dining if you want to dine in Blu. That will put you in the MDR without a set table. Choose "Traditional" and you will be in Blu. You may dine in Blu at any time for dinner and, of course, for breakfast. You may be requested to arrive at either one of two times on the first night, but that is really only for Blu to get a handle on what time people want to dine, as Blu only holds about half of the passengers in AQ at any one time.

Thanks for this post, I am a bit worried now since we upgraded to AQ yesterday and we had select dining before the upgrade. Does this mean we will be assigned to the main dining room or will the upgrade be automatic to include us in Blu?

Thanks for this post, I am a bit worried now since we upgraded to AQ yesterday and we had select dining before the upgrade. Does this mean we will be assigned to the main dining room or will the upgrade be automatic to include us in Blu?

No problem. You will be expected in Blu as are all Aqua class guests.:)

FWIW - I had this question, too. We originally booked CC with select dining. I then saw a "bargain" AQ upgrade and grabbed it. I asked the TA to switch us to 2nd seating (because I had read that you should select 1st or 2nd on these boards) so we could be in Blu not in MDR. She said she had never heard of that and called Celebrity. They said it made no difference what you selected - that Blu was open seating for everyone in AQ.

Hello again, "hmp2z."

Yesterday I responded with these words:

"You can take a steamer (or liquid de-wrinkler) aboard, since neither is provided."

I apologize for giving you incorrect info about the steamer. I was relaying incorrect info that I had once read.

But I stand by what I said about complaining vociferously (and requiring immediate correction, while you are lunching) if your bedding pre-arrangement has not been complied with. I received unjust criticism for telling you that, which was based on personal experience on THREE cruises. My experience has been that stateroom stewards do not want to set aside what they are doing to correct their oversight immediately ... but they will do what is right if you are insistent.

Hello again, "hmp2z."

But I stand by what I said about complaining vociferously (and requiring immediate correction, while you are lunching) if your bedding pre-arrangement has not been complied with. I received unjust criticism for telling you that, which was based on personal experience on THREE cruises. My experience has been that stateroom stewards do not want to set aside what they are doing to correct their oversight immediately ... but they will do what is right if you are insistent.

jg51 is not alone. Once sailing on RCCL with our kids in a pullman cabin, the steward tried to force us, the parents, to sleep in a twin bed configuration so it would be easier for him to make up the pullmans. He actually tried to argue with us, until we insisted the beds be pushed together. We came very close to demanding a new steward. The first time ever we had an issue like that.

I just want to add that steamers are NOT allowed. . .same principle as irons: they can cause fires.

NO irons or steamers. You are on vacation - do not worry about wrinkles. Relax and enjoy your cruise. If you think something needs pressing - send it out to laundry.

In case you're unfamiliar with it, the unwrinkle stuff is called Downy Wrinkle Release and is sold in spray bottles, usually found in the laundry aisle, of course.

You just spray it on clothes, smooth the wrinkles with your hands, hang to dry (takes only a few minutes) and away you go. Great stuff. We never cruise without it. It even works on linen, if you work at it and are patient. Everything else is easy to work with and you will look great.

Hello again, "hmp2z."

Yesterday I responded with these words:

"You can take a steamer (or liquid de-wrinkler) aboard, since neither is provided."

I apologize for giving you incorrect info about the steamer. I was relaying incorrect info that I had once read.

But I stand by what I said about complaining vociferously (and requiring immediate correction, while you are lunching) if your bedding pre-arrangement has not been complied with. I received unjust criticism for telling you that, which was based on personal experience on THREE cruises. My experience has been that stateroom stewards do not want to set aside what they are doing to correct their oversight immediately

I am curious as to why changing a bedding arrangement needs to be done 'immediately' unless you are going to bed in the afternoon. On the outside chance you intend to nap, I would think you could tough it out for once, unless you have some kind of medical issue or something that truly may require immediate service:rolleyes:.

When passengers start boarding cabin stewards are inundated with various requests and complaints. To expect the cabin stewards to drop everything and handle your problem first seems a bit.......ummm........selfish maybe? Unless you have a real need for immediate service, I urge cruisers to give these folks the benefit of the doubt and allow them some time to handle all the requests. Most will fall all over themselves to give you good service (and for a slave wage at that). I have to think that most people would consider having the bedding situation fixed by bedtime more than sufficient. I obviously can't speak as to why you need it done immediately, but as a general statement, a little kindness goes a long way.

jg51 is not alone. Once sailing on RCCL with our kids in a pullman cabin, the steward tried to force us, the parents, to sleep in a twin bed configuration so it would be easier for him to make up the pullmans. He actually tried to argue with us, until we insisted the beds be pushed together. We came very close to demanding a new steward. The first time ever we had an issue like that.

I agree with you that this is totally unacceptable. This was a case of a bad room steward, not a case where the steward was just trying to prioritize his/her workload to satisfy a slew of requests. Different issue than asking that all requests be done 'immediately'.

Thank you for reassuring us!

If you are in AQ and have Select dining you are automatically assigned to the Main Dining Room. It is not a big deal to switch out of it but you should do it.

If I am an AquaClass guests, can I choose Celebrity Select Dining?

Subject: Celebrity Select Dining

Yes. You may choose Celebrity Select Dining, however, you will be seated in the Main Dining Room, and will no longer be seated in Blu.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000Xs31XVFO9TatKHgp_Cj-Xjy:12hdbcuh7?faqSubjectName=Celebrity+Select+Dining&faqId=3857&pagename=faq_answers

I am curious as to why changing a bedding arrangement needs to be done 'immediately' unless you are going to bed in the afternoon. On the outside chance you intend to nap, I would think you could tough it out for once, unless you have some kind of medical issue or something that truly may require immediate service:rolleyes:.

When passengers start boarding cabin stewards are inundated with various requests and complaints. To expect the cabin stewards to drop everything and handle your problem first seems a bit.......ummm........selfish maybe? Unless you have a real need for immediate service, I urge cruisers to give these folks the benefit of the doubt and allow them some time to handle all the requests. Most will fall all over themselves to give you good service (and for a slave wage at that). I have to think that most people would consider having the bedding situation fixed by bedtime more than sufficient. I obviously can't speak as to why you need it done immediately, but as a general statement, a little kindness goes a long way.

TOTALLY AGREE!

OP: If, by chance, your bedding is not configured to your request, do NOT worry about it in the LEAST. Mention it to your Steward, and he/she will have it corrected (usually during the evening while you are dining). To "demand" that it be changed on the spot is not appropriate.

Thank you so much to all who replied! I really appreciate your help & didn't even think about a spray-on dewrinkler! I booked through one of the big online travel agencies, which could be why I wasn't asked about sleeping arrangements. I have reservations for the 2nd seating at 8:30, I believe, so I think that would be considered traditional and would put us in Blu. I hope!

Thank you again! The devil is in the details, and I really appreciate all of the help!

Cheers!

Heather W

Thank you so much to all who replied! I really appreciate your help & didn't even think about a spray-on dewrinkler! I booked through one of the big online travel agencies, which could be why I wasn't asked about sleeping arrangements. I have reservations for the 2nd seating at 8:30, I believe, so I think that would be considered traditional and would put us in Blu. I hope!

Thank you again! The devil is in the details, and I really appreciate all of the help!

Cheers!

Heather W

For de-wrinkling: get a small spray bottle from the dollar store. Stick a dryer sheet in it and fill with water. Wait for a couple minutes. Then spray away at the wrinkles.

I read about that somewhere online and have been testing it out on my clothes at home. Works like a charm. If you already have a spray bottle and dryer sheets, that means you won't have to go out and buy the de-wrinkler separately. :) You can pack both in your carry-on, too, without problem.

Cheers!

Heather W

Heather:

Since you seem to be new to cruising, let me take this a step further?

Once you are onboard, your luggage will be delivered to your cabin within a few hours. Once it arrives, take a few minutes and unpack completely.... hanging as many things as possible on hangers (your Steward will provide more hangars if needed). At this time, get out your spray bottle and SPRITZ everything! Your clothes will look fine. (I "spritz" tee shirts when I have one on.... I do this at home always!) :)

PS: Stow your empty luggage under the beds and out of your way.

For de-wrinkling: get a small spray bottle from the dollar store. Stick a dryer sheet in it and fill with water. Wait for a couple minutes. Then spray away at the wrinkles.

I read about that somewhere online and have been testing it out on my clothes at home. Works like a charm. If you already have a spray bottle and dryer sheets, that means you won't have to go out and buy the de-wrinkler separately. :) You can pack both in your carry-on, too, without problem.

What a great idea. Thanks!!! Makes lots of sense that it's the same as what you buy from Downy.

Hello again, "hmp2z."

The OP stated she did not prearrange bedding wishes. If the beds aren't to her liking, a request of her attendant will be acknowledged while onboard.

If a cruiser did prearrange bedding with Celebrity direct and it appeared not to be done to their liking, doesn't really make for an emergency in my opinion. The attendant is given more preboarding duties than anyone can imagine, especially nowadays when so many cruisers board hours before the ship's policy of one or two oclock. THe stewards have to work fast...REALLY fast to prepare how many rooms??? To act entitled to special service for something that won't even be used until bedtime, is indeed not understandable.:rolleyes:

Consider this..... If you didn't have your clean towels or bedding ready because another cruiser "complained vociferously" about something that wasn't a priority YOU would be unhappy. Just asking...what makes your need for those beds to be moved the most important thing your steward has to do at that minute??? hmmm:confused: Criticism "unjust"???

Don't know why you mentioned three other cruises? Perhaps if this is a continual problem with your bookings, you should look at your documents to double check everything is as you requested. And if not, take care of it before arriving onboard. In the last 12 years of sailing X, we have never had the problem.

The OP stated she did not prearrange bedding wishes. If the beds aren't to her liking, a request of her attendant will be acknowledged while onboard.

If a cruiser did prearrange bedding with Celebrity direct and it appeared not to be done to their liking, doesn't really make for an emergency in my opinion. The attendant is given more preboarding duties than anyone can imagine, especially nowadays when so many cruisers board hours before the ship's policy of one or two oclock. THe stewards have to work fast...REALLY fast to prepare how many rooms??? To act entitled to special service for something that won't even be used until bedtime, is indeed not understandable.:rolleyes:

Consider this..... If you didn't have your clean towels or bedding ready because another cruiser "complained vociferously" about something that wasn't a priority YOU would be unhappy. Just asking...what makes your need for those beds to be moved the most important thing your steward has to do at that minute??? hmmm:confused: Criticism "unjust"???

Don't know why you mentioned three other cruises? Perhaps if this is a continual problem with your bookings, you should look at your documents to double check everything is as you requested. And if not, take care of it before arriving onboard. In the last 12 years of sailing X, we have never had the problem.

You are correct, it is not an emergency. The proper procedure is to tell the steward that you need them corrected by the first night, if they are not done correctly than you call someone and have them come and fix it while you wait. If you complain vodiferously over something that is not called for than it may affect your service the rest of the week. Just human nature...The posters experience is highly unsual.

Archived