Solstice royal suite and rollaway bed? Do they or don't they?

inverted1

Hello,

I've used the search function, and not found the answer to this question so I'm hoping someone here can help.

My family (4 of us) is traveling on the Celebrity Solstice next week, and we're booked into the Royal Suite. When I booked, I asked our travel agent to find out if a rollaway type bed could be used in this suite, so that my teenage children did not have to share a foldout bed (one son is an avid thrasher, and would absolutely keep the other awake). We were told yes, to simply ask the butler for the bed, and it wouldn't be a problem.

I called Celebrity directly today (travel agent is off until Saturday) to reconfirm everything we'd signed up for, reservations, birthday celebration, etc. and asked to confirm the rollaway for our cabin. I was told that a crib could be placed in the room, but NOT a rollaway.

I reiterated that we had been told previously that our request would be honored, and the Celebrity concierge asked if we had the name of the person who initially stated that this would be ok. We don't have the name of that person.

I indicated that we would unfortunately be relegated to bringing an air mattress for the floor, which, after paying what we did for this suite seems a bit on the ridiculous side, but what the heck, we can deal with it if we have to. The Celebritry concierge stated that by asking the butler once on the ship, they may very well honor our request, as "what happens on the ship with the suites doesn't necessarily coincide with what is said from the office."

So, do I go out and purchase an air matress and pump to lug with us, or can I expect them to get us the bed? Anybody ever deal with a situation such as this?

Thank you.

Hi,:) I have never had a suite, no less the Royal Suite;) but I cannot

imagine not being able to get a rollaway! Makes no sense to me either.

I would call back and speak with a supervisor but no, I would not

go out and buy a mattress and pump. Those suites are BIG and I

really don't see any reason why you could not have a rollaway.

Darcie, are you around? Maybe you can help:)

"We were offered a roll away by our butler on our recent Mercury cruise in the Royal Suite."

This makes me feel better, hopefully, this works out like this for us. But since the Celebrity concierge told me that the Royal Suite could not have a rollaway bed brought in, according to the notes she was reading for that cabin, I'm concerned about taking the chance.

"Assuming that the king bed can be divided into twins, you separate them and put the kids there, and you and spouse share the sofabed."

Thanks for the idea, but I'd really like to keep the bedroom for my wife and I, lol!

"Hi,:) I have never had a suite, no less the Royal Suite;) but I cannot

Darcie, are you around? Maybe you can help:)"

What concerns me about calling back and asking for a supevisor, is that if I receive a resounding "not possible" from the Celebrity front office, that it might carry-over to the ships staff on Solstice? I don't want to ruin it for myself by elevating this; perhaps I'd be better off dealing with the room steward/butler rather than those on shore?

And if I don't buy the air mattress and pump, and cannot get the rollaway bed, we have the potential for sleep problems.

"First, I would recommend firing your TA!"

Lol, thanks!

"We were offered a roll away by our butler on our recent Mercury cruise in the Royal Suite."

This makes me feel better, hopefully, this works out like this for us. But since the Celebrity concierge told me that the Royal Suite could not have a rollaway bed brought in, according to the notes she was reading for that cabin, I'm concerned about taking the chance.

"Assuming that the king bed can be divided into twins, you separate them and put the kids there, and you and spouse share the sofabed."

Thanks for the idea, but I'd really like to keep the bedroom for my wife and I, lol!

"Hi,:) I have never had a suite, no less the Royal Suite;) but I cannot

Darcie, are you around? Maybe you can help:)"

What concerns me about calling back and asking for a supevisor, is that if I receive a resounding "not possible" from the Celebrity front office, that it might carry-over to the ships staff on Solstice? I don't want to ruin it for myself by elevating this; perhaps I'd be better off dealing with the room steward/butler rather than those on shore?

And if I don't buy the air mattress and pump, and cannot get the rollaway bed, we have the potential for sleep problems.[/quote

I just cannot imagine not being able to get one. AND I think that

is definitely one of the things a Butler is supposed to be able to help

you with too:)

The one thing I have learned over the years....the land office and

the ship? The ship is USUALLY much more helpful with this type

of thing.

The reason I mentioned Darcie earlier is she usually books suites

on all her cruises so she would have some firsthand insight for you.

Hopefully she will see this thread and give you some help.

We were in a Royal Suite in May and actually I don't think there is room for a rollaway with the sofa opened. The only place I can think of where it would fit might be in the entry way and then it would block the door to the second bathroom. It would also block the door to the cabin. There's a lot of furniture in the suite including both a sofa and loveseat and not a lot of clear floor space. If they say the cabin sleeps four they expect two to sleep on the sofa bed.

DSC_0773.jpg.500fc4cfead997748a777babeb018020.jpg

DSC_0781.jpg.3da6594ec9a4977af0ec7cc1f3ed734e.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg.6f905dc7721f4b1f9d9898a6fb1743ef.jpg

DSC_0783.jpg.92d81ea5660344a4fff26281308297e6.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg.9c322e2aeda3efa5b622d37bd350578b.jpg

I have to say that Celebrity on-shore personnel are notoriously uninformed! Please don't put too much stock into what they say! They don't know much about anything at all. I am willing to bet money that your butler will come straight to your rescue with a rollaway!!! You are in one of the priciest cabins and he will want to do anything he can for you.

Hi Joanie, thanks for the pictures. Can't something be moved

for sleeping purposes? Then in the morning the bed can be moved

out?

I don't know what could be moved or where they would put it. The table is attached to the wall. You are seeing these pictures with the sofa closed. If the sofa is opened there wouldn't be any room to move anything. This is a nice suite, but there is a large bathroom a galley style eating area, a secondary powder room, a bedroom where the bed takes up almost all the floor space and a large closet.

Celebrity can get really sticky on this. Once, the people booked in the PH on Infinity wanted a rollaway and it was refused. Those suites are huge, but X still refused the request for the bed.

Thank you so much everyone for the responses. From the pictures, if we moved those dining room chairs and/or that 2nd small sofa (in the 1st & 3rd pics) was moved back against the wall, it looks like there would be more than ample room for a bed.

But it seems that it's a potential mixed bag as to how Celebrity might handle things on board ship (can't understand why a bed would be refused for the PH!).

I don't really want to, but I think we might be taking a trip to Walmart to buy a twin size air mattress and pump, just to be on the safe side (fortunately, we're driving so packing won't be an "airline issue").

This doesn't sound like an issue that we can have resolved until we're on board, so I don't see where we have much of a choice.

I think the sticking point is that they don't have rollaways, because the ship was built after 2000 and the Coast Guard mandates how many can be in a cabin for four. Having rollaway beds intimates that a person intends to put a fifth person in the room. So most ships built after 2000 do not have rollaway beds. the person who said they were told they could have one on Mercury would be able to because Mercury is pre-2000 and all of those ships were grandfathered in. A crib, yes, because one of the four could be too small for the sofabed. EM

Some years ago, we had a royal suite on the Galaxy, and a roll-a-way bed was brought in for our son, because the sofa bed was broken. I suspect that roll-a-way beds are available on Celebrity ships as this can easily happen at any time.

I think the sticking point is that they don't have rollaways, because the ship was built after 2000 and the Coast Guard mandates how many can be in a cabin for four.

They said that they indeed have them on Solstice, but that we cannot use one in the royal suite.

I'm off to Walmart to buy an air mattress. Pretty sure I can pick up a nice one with pump included for around $30. Hopefully, we won't have to use it, but if we do, I know for-a-fact that they're quite comfortable!

"The cushions on both couches will make a comfortable bed. Just ask for an eggcart for your bed and use it for the cushions. Viola! extra bed!"

This may be a contingency plan, thanks!

They said that they indeed have them on Solstice, but that we cannot use one in the royal suite.

I'm off to Walmart to buy an air mattress. Pretty sure I can pick up a nice one with pump included for around $30. Hopefully, we won't have to use it, but if we do, I know for-a-fact that they're quite comfortable!

"The cushions on both couches will make a comfortable bed. Just ask for an eggcart for your bed and use it for the cushions. Viola! extra bed!"

This may be a contingency plan, thanks!

I inquired of my travel agent, who has sailed Solstice more than once, and has pretty good sources at Celebrity. the answer is no rollaways shipwide on Solstice. Sorry. I think your teen needs some sleep-training. EM

I inquired of my travel agent, who has sailed Solstice more than once, and has pretty good sources at Celebrity. the answer is no rollaways shipwide on Solstice.

I inquired of Celebrity's main office, and they stated that there were rollaway beds on shipboard.

Sorry. I think your teen needs some sleep-training. EM

Umm, huh? Care to explain that comment?

I inquired of Celebrity's main office, and they stated that there were rollaway beds on shipboard.

Umm, huh? Care to explain that comment?

Well, when my niece was trying to get her toddler to sleep all night, they called it sleep-training. Maybe there is some way to train them not to thrash around so much...EM

Hello,

I've used the search function, and not found the answer to this question so I'm hoping someone here can help.

My family (4 of us) is traveling on the Celebrity Solstice next week, and we're booked into the Royal Suite. When I booked, I asked our travel agent to find out if a rollaway type bed could be used in this suite, so that my teenage children did not have to share a foldout bed (one son is an avid thrasher, and would absolutely keep the other awake). We were told yes, to simply ask the butler for the bed, and it wouldn't be a problem.

I called Celebrity directly today (travel agent is off until Saturday) to reconfirm everything we'd signed up for, reservations, birthday celebration, etc. and asked to confirm the rollaway for our cabin. I was told that a crib could be placed in the room, but NOT a rollaway.

I reiterated that we had been told previously that our request would be honored, and the Celebrity concierge asked if we had the name of the person who initially stated that this would be ok. We don't have the name of that person.

I indicated that we would unfortunately be relegated to bringing an air mattress for the floor, which, after paying what we did for this suite seems a bit on the ridiculous side, but what the heck, we can deal with it if we have to. The Celebritry concierge stated that by asking the butler once on the ship, they may very well honor our request, as "what happens on the ship with the suites doesn't necessarily coincide with what is said from the office."

So, do I go out and purchase an air matress and pump to lug with us, or can I expect them to get us the bed? Anybody ever deal with a situation such as this?

Thank you.

We were on a Celebrity Suite on the Equinox last month and we were given a rollaway bed for our son.

Well, when my niece was trying to get her toddler to sleep all night, they called it sleep-training. Maybe there is some way to train them not to thrash around so much...EM

Thanks, but with my kids being 15 and 17, and the frequency with which they've been asked to share a bad being relatively rare, sleep training is probably not an option. Besides, the cruise leaves in 2 days.

We were on a Celebrity Suite on the Equinox last month and we were given a rollaway bed for our son.

Thank you! We've purchased the twin air mattress (double thick - it's a beauty!), and hopefully we won't have to use it. Best to be prepared though.

Thanks, but with my kids being 15 and 17, and the frequency with which they've been asked to share a bad being relatively rare, sleep training is probably not an option. Besides, the cruise leaves in 2 days.

Thank you! We've purchased the twin air mattress (double thick - it's a beauty!), and hopefully we won't have to use it. Best to be prepared though.

Our Celebrity suite was smaller than the Royal Suite and they found a space for the rollaway bed (in the entry way). On RCCL we often book Owner's suites which are similar in size to Celebrity's Royal suite and we also ask for a rollawaybed. I really don't think that you will need the air mattress.

This was our first Celebrity cruise and I really missed the Concierge services. Although RCCL doesn't have butler's services I really like the Concierge Lounge and emailing with the concierge before the cruise. This is the kind of questions you can ask the Concierge before a cruise and it will be taken care of too.

I would sleep on a lounger on the balcony.

This is definitely a consideration, thank you! Now, we could set up the air mattress on the balcony, lol.

Our Celebrity suite was smaller than the Royal Suite and they found a space for the rollaway bed (in the entry way). On RCCL we often book Owner's suites which are similar in size to Celebrity's Royal suite and we also ask for a rollawaybed. I really don't think that you will need the air mattress.

This was our first Celebrity cruise and I really missed the Concierge services. Although RCCL doesn't have butler's services I really like the Concierge Lounge and emailing with the concierge before the cruise. This is the kind of questions you can ask the Concierge before a cruise and it will be taken care of too.

Drarill, thank you for that information. We've not sailed Celebrity before, but we're truly looking forward to this cruise.

Archived