Edinburgh Tattoo Independently from S. Queensferry - Your Experience?

By the way, the seating is very cramped. If I were taller than 6-1, weighed more than 225 or had artifical joints, I wouldn't go. This seating is the tightest I've seen. Having said that, this is a terrific event and worth the obscene price HAL charges for their tickets.

WHERE were your ticket seating?? Were they the forward facing view of the castle, or the less desirable side viewing. Makes a significant difference to me. :)

I went last year, and bought my tickets the day they went on sale- at 5am, EST. :)

Thanks for the information about the prices.

On the August 16,2011 cruise, I think will be going to the Tattoo from Glasgow since we dock at 7am and leave at 2am the next day which they say is about 2-2 1/2 hours away from Edinburgh. We will taking the Princess tour.

take a look at a map. Edinburgh and Glasgow are an hour, twenty minutes apart. You must be taking the long way around? :)

Thanks for the information about the prices.

On the August 16,2011 cruise, I think will be going to the Tattoo from Glasgow since we dock at 7am and leave at 2am the next day which they say is about 2-2 1/2 hours away from Edinburgh. We will taking the Princess tour.

We've taken the train between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I believe it was only about one hour each way.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
I would not recommend trying to do this on your own.

YMMV.

We bought our tickets independently for the Saturday night (21 August 2010) late show (with a midnight fireworks display), taking the train from Dalmeny into Waverley. After the show was over, we walked from the old city to the new city and went to the club district to catch a cab back to Hawes Pier (by this time the train and busses has both stopped running. It was 16,70£ on the meter, and I gave him a twenty pound note.) We were back in our cabin on the Eurodam by 01h30.

So all-in, 31£ each for the tickets (at face value), 20,00£ cab + 3,80£ in train fare, for a grand total of 132$ USD all-in for two people versus the 189USDpp that HAL was charging. Whilst I don't begrudge profit-making, that kind of mark-up is egregious. We were sitting in section F in the north stands, seven rows up from the Esplanade. Sight lines were great, and more importantly, so was the sound.

Had we gone to the earlier show (the one to which HAL was selling their tour tickets, and whom were, uh, blessed to have had sat through the deluge of rain that night, which, fortunately we missed by attending the late show :D) we could have used our return train tickets and saved ourselves another 20£ / 31$ USD.

I wouldn't hesitate a moment in recommending to my soon-to-be 70yo mother to do this independently.

Scott.

We did this on Aug. 28th--the last night of the Tattoo this year-- thru the ship's excursion as we were docked in Greenock (Glascow). We had the premium seats (facing the castle) and the cost was $179. each. We also heard that this was the last year for the cramped seating as they were going to build new bleachers for next year. There was such a crowd both getting into the seating area and leaving and walking along the Mile. We departed the ship at 4pm for the 7:30 show and thought we might have some time to see some of the Royal Mile or the Castle but as it was--we went straight to the line to get in and were only seated for about 1/2 hr before the show began. It was awesome though and we would do it again in a heartbeat!

Marge

We were at the Tattoo a few weeks ago and used the ship excursion and are glad we did. It rained cats and dogs the entire time. We were VERY happy for both the raincoat we had AND, most importantly, a sturdy poncho we also had each tucked away in our backpack. We still got wet. The seat cushions you rent right there for a pound are a definite must.

The tickets the ship got were excellent.

I have artificial knees and had no problem. I agree though about any real infirmities...we saw people with canes, oxygen tanks, etc. who I'm not sure ever made it all the way up to the Tattoo. Also, BIG people will definitely have a problem with the seating...think of a crowded Friday night football game in High School...bleachers...tight.

After the Tattoo, it was an organized chaotic mess. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to have to walk down a steep hill all the way to Waverly Station and then walk back to where the ship's launches meet you. Not worth it in my opinion. It was delightful to have our coach waiting for us at the same place it let us off, still a bit of a walk up the Royal Mile.

Loved the Tattoo though...in spite of the rain.

We were at the Tattoo a few weeks ago and used the ship excursion and are glad we did. It rained cats and dogs the entire time. We were VERY happy for both the raincoat we had AND, most importantly, a sturdy poncho we also had each tucked away in our backpack. We still got wet. The seat cushions you rent right there for a pound are a definite must.

The tickets the ship got were excellent.

I have artificial knees and had no problem. I agree though about any real infirmities...we saw people with canes, oxygen tanks, etc. who I'm not sure ever made it all the way up to the Tattoo. Also, BIG people will definitely have a problem with the seating...think of a crowded Friday night football game in High School...bleachers...tight.

After the Tattoo, it was an organized chaotic mess. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to have to walk down a steep hill all the way to Waverly Station and then walk back to where the ship's launches meet you. Not worth it in my opinion. It was delightful to have our coach waiting for us at the same place it let us off, still a bit of a walk up the Royal Mi

Loved the Tattoo though...in spite of the rain.

Did you do the Princess excursion? Do you remember the price?

• 2 months later...
We did this on Aug. 28th--the last night of the Tattoo this year-- thru the ship's excursion as we were docked in Greenock (Glascow). We had the premium seats (facing the castle) and the cost was $179. each. We also heard that this was the last year for the cramped seating as they were going to build new bleachers for next year. There was such a crowd both getting into the seating area and leaving and walking along the Mile. We departed the ship at 4pm for the 7:30 show and thought we might have some time to see some of the Royal Mile or the Castle but as it was--we went straight to the line to get in and were only seated for about 1/2 hr before the show began. It was awesome though and we would do it again in a heartbeat!

Marge

We're doing this cruise next August and, like you, we dock in Greenock. We've bought tickets to the Tattoo independently and are arranging transportation. Can you give me any idea of how long it took you to exit the Tatto and get back to your bus? Thanks!

Craig

We're doing this cruise next August and, like you, we dock in Greenock. We've bought tickets to the Tattoo independently and are arranging transportation. Can you give me any idea of how long it took you to exit the Tatto and get back to your bus? Thanks!

Craig

I think it was about 30 to 40 minutes. Bus was parked a few blocks away but we stopped at a pub to use the bathrooms and the lines were long. The crowd moved along fairly quickly but it was wall to wall people! Some on our roll call went independently and arranged to be picked up at the ship at 11 am so they could have some time at the Castle, etc. Enjoy your cruise and the Tattoo!

Marge

I think it was about 30 to 40 minutes. Bus was parked a few blocks away but we stopped at a pub to use the bathrooms and the lines were long. The crowd moved along fairly quickly but it was wall to wall people! Some on our roll call went independently and arranged to be picked up at the ship at 11 am so they could have some time at the Castle, etc. Enjoy your cruise and the Tattoo!

Marge

Hi Marge,

Thanks for your response. I'm looking into transportation options for a group on our roll call. I'd like to connect with someone in the group on your roll call that went independently to see what organization provided their tour/transportation. Could you provide me the link to your roll call and, if possible, a CC name to contact?

Many thanks,

Craig

Hi Marge,

Thanks for your response. I'm looking into transportation options for a group on our roll call. I'd like to connect with someone in the group on your roll call that went independently to see what organization provided their tour/transportation. Could you provide me the link to your roll call and, if possible, a CC name to contact?

Many thanks,

Craig

Ron, the tour was booked with Great Scot Tours. It was a 33 seat minibus and cost was 440 pounds. We were on the Aug.22 sailing of the Crown Princess (Princess line) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=964560---I must warn you though--it is very long and still active! I'm sure you can pick up some good info about all our tours, etc. I'm happy to answer any questions--we had a great spreadsheet with all the info but I can't send you that as it has lots of personal info, etc., but just ask away! The person who arranged the Tattoo transportation (mshight) has said she has posted on your roll call .

Marge

Ron, the tour was booked with Great Scot Tours. It was a 33 seat minibus and cost was 440 pounds. We were on the Aug.22 sailing of the Crown Princess (Princess line) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=964560---I must warn you though--it is very long and still active! I'm sure you can pick up some good info about all our tours, etc. I'm happy to answer any questions--we had a great spreadsheet with all the info but I can't send you that as it has lots of personal info, etc., but just ask away! The person who arranged the Tattoo transportation (mshight) has said she has posted on your roll call .

Marge

Thanks Marge. I found mshight's post on our roll call and will be contacting Great Scot Tours. They seem to have done a good job for that group and hope they can do the same for us.

Craig

• 5 months later...

I realized I never posted a post-cruise update after our return! Though it’s quite late, here goes!

Being that it was too late to change our tickets, we stuck to our plan to go independently. I must admit, not making transportation arrangements prior to our trip proved a little nerve-wracking! However, there was a local bus/travel agency that was available upon arrival and was available for our 2 days in Edinburgh. While we had planned to take the train into Edinburgh during the day, we just opted for the bus (the first day we rode a shuttle). It was reasonably priced for a round-trip ticket. Having heard that there were passengers who booked the Tattoo independently, they arranged to have a bus available before and after the Tattoo. The only catch was that they sold the tickets for that journey separately from the day-tickets (though it was still MUCH cheaper than the ship’s offerings, some had to pay for their journey into Edinburgh in the daytime and then another journey in the evening). We stayed in Edinburgh for the day, not wanting to risk our time because of the tenders, and so we were initially concerned about getting out of the performance and finding the bus afterwards, but it ended up working out efficiently, as we made doubly-sure we knew where the bus would be waiting.

(For those wondering….yes, it did rain throughout the Tattoo and we were drenched. Yes, we did get sick! But, we had a wonderful time anyway….for whatever it’s worth, the very topmost seats are underneath a partial shelter and the people sitting there didn’t seem to get as wet as the rest of us).

Our aisle seats at the Tattoo were close to the exit and we used the side staircase near the exit (Johnston Terrace) to get to the road where our bus was waiting (though as I recall, we had to appeal to the guards to let us exit there). I believe from the time the performance ended to the time we made it on the bus was less than 15 minutes, which shocked us. But because we were able to walk down Johnston Terrace, we avoided most of the crowds. Speaking of the crowds, I was very impressed at how mannerly people were!

We were most concerned about making it back to the ship on time, but we actually made it back before 7 of the official HAL buses returned. And everyone waited quite a while due to the tendering process. I will say there were people who missed HAL’s bus and our bus, but to my knowledge everyone was somehow able to make it back before the ship departed.

I am in no way recommending going independently. I wouldn’t know if the local agency’s bus will run again (though we know of others who paid in advance for a taxi and it worked well). It’s hard to put a price on peace of mind! I’m glad going independently turned out to be good for us, but I’m not saying it would be right for everyone. Having said that, our Tattoo experience was one of the most memorable of our entire trip!

Archived