Edinburgh Tattoo Independently from S. Queensferry - Your Experience?

Hi,

I would like to hear from those who have previously gone to the Edinburgh Tattoo independently while tendered at South Queensferry.

What mode of transport did you use getting back to the ship? Was it difficult to get around afterwards with the crowd? Did the cruise line or port provide shuttle service through the evening?

Just curious and would like some feedback to help plan!

THANKS!

I'm from Edinburgh, lived here for almost all my life.

can't comment personsally on making the trip using public transport from SQ in to Edinburgh for the tattoo and back but can tell you

Public transport options are

Public Bus (check FirstBus website - thik its number 43 still), it goes in to the centre of Edinburgh (either pronces St or george St (routes keep varying because of this confounded tram construction works). You can either get another bus up the Mound and walk up the Catle hill or if you are reasonably fit and don't mind a steep hill to walk up - walk to the Castle in15-20 minutes

Train - from dalmeny station to Waverley. There is a bit of a walk (also uphill - we have a lot of hills!) to reach Dalmeny from where the tender drops you. getting from Waverley to the castle is pretty much the same as what I descriobed for the bus. For timetables etc check FirstRail website.

Taxis - no idea how many wait to meet the ship but I can tell you that when the Tattoo comes out - it is very crowded and generally speaking it is not easy to flag down a cab anywhere in the centre of Edinburgh at night when the Festival is on.

If there is a bus/shuttle provided by the cruise, this may well be your best option. the Police clear all roads near the Castle for parking when the Tattoo is on, so that all the coaches can wait for people coming out. You will have less distance to walk and will be guaranteed to get back to the ship ontime.

The prices they are charging are not just elevated - they are downright obscene. I understand making money to provide a service but c'mon.....

Unless you have no sense of adventure or have mobility issues I would save yourself a bundle and do it yourself.

Do you know where the tenders usually drop you off? I'd be willing to try hiring a taxi in advance. Also do you know where I could ask the taxi to pick us up from after the show? How long would the walk be from where the tender drops off to the castle without taking bus or train?

Thanks for any help!

Tenders used to drop off at Hawes Pier, I assume its still the same. You could ask a taxi to pick you anywhere but the closer to the esplanade the worse the traffic will be - what about around Waverley Station?

You probably could walk to the castle from the pier but its an awfully long walk - must be 10 miles ish? and across motorways.

Would recommend the train.

I actually booked tickets independently a few weeks back. I have researched the train and should have ample time to walk to the station and be back on the ship before the All Aboard. Thanks for the advice!

Wow...good luck with that one...the last train from Waverly to Dalmeny leaves at 2313...the Tattoo lasts until 2230 at least and it is a fair hike in a mob of people to Waverly Station (last train from Haymarket to Dalmeny is at 2323)....hope you make that last train! And given the seating arrangements at the Tattoo there is no such thing as slipping out before the last performance to make an early exit.

If you make the train you should have plenty of time to get back to the ship from the train station.... but I hope you have long legs and can wiggle well through crowds to make that train....or you may be looking for a 1 way ticket to Newcastle on the overnighter!

I can tell you as a native of Edinburgh that after last nights tattoo you would NOT have made it back to the 2313 train. It took the Castle Esplanade a good 45 minutes to clear, the stewards will NOT let you push in as they clear the tattoo by sections if there is a build up of pedestrians in the Royal Mile, which there was. The Royal Mile as also mobbed as all the Fringe activities and street theatre is also on. Sorry but this is one I would certainly do via the ship or I would invest in a taxi, but as others have said, you will have to walk quite a way away from the Tattoo to where the taxis are beginning to do pick ups, and bear in mind several hundred others are also looking for taxis.

Your only other option is to leave the tattoo before the end but the massed pipes and drums and the march off from the Esplanade is one of the tattoo highlights

Hi,

I would like to hear from those who have previously gone to the Edinburgh Tattoo independently while tendered at South Queensferry.

What mode of transport did you use getting back to the ship? Was it difficult to get around afterwards with the crowd? Did the cruise line or port provide shuttle service through the evening?

Just curious and would like some feedback to help plan!

THANKS!

We booked a private car service to pick us up at So Queensferry early and then pick us up after the tattoo - there was some confusion and luckily I had a cell phone and called the booking firm and was able to hook up with the driver. He wasn't able to meet us at the previously arranged place and had to go to another place. All was well and the ship (Crown Princess) had a wonderful buffet waiting back at the ship. My husband booked the Tattoo tickets the day they opened up on line. The crowds were a little overwhelming.

The prices they are charging are not just elevated - they are downright obscene. I understand making money to provide a service but c'mon.....

Unless you have no sense of adventure or have mobility issues I would save yourself a bundle and do it yourself.

I would be interested to know what the ship charge for this tour. We are not going until 2011 and the prices will be out until later.

Hi,

Went to Tattoo in 2008, advice dont go if you have mobility problems or if you are a size 18 and tall,

NO PARKING for coaches and cars allowed near to castle, a long up hill walk to castle, no where to rest only on cold steps, long wait to watch show, Que snakes up and down hill, steep steps to where you sit on scaffolding with seats so small, your knees touch the person in front of you. you would have to stand up to put your mack on if it rains, Edinburgh Military Wonderful well done to our wonderful troops who many come home from military duties abroad and participate in such precision skills to entertain us.

This is what tour operators dont tell you hope it is of some help.

My experience only, you may be more energetic than me, give it a try enjoy yourself.

Get a dvd of the tattoo not so exhausting.

Hi,

Went to Tattoo in 2008, advice dont go if you have mobility problems or if you are a size 18 and tall,

NO PARKING for coaches and cars allowed near to castle, a long up hill walk to castle, no where to rest only on cold steps, long wait to watch show, Que snakes up and down hill, steep steps to where you sit on scaffolding with seats so small, your knees touch the person in front of you. you would have to stand up to put your mack on if it rains, Edinburgh Military Wonderful well done to our wonderful troops who many come home from military duties abroad and participate in such precision skills to entertain us.

This is what tour operators dont tell you hope it is of some help.

My experience only, you may be more energetic than me, give it a try enjoy yourself.

Get a dvd of the tattoo not so exhausting.

All very true

However if you are reasonably fit, of average size or smaller and are dressed to face the elements, there is probably nothing like it. the atmosphere is absolutely electric. has to be one of the most unique stages for any form of entertainment. But hey, I'm biased - I live in Edinburgh!

We were at the Tattoo last week. We booked through the ship. However, we had used the train from S. Queensferry (Dalmeny Station) to Edinburgh (Waverly) earlier in the day. The train ride is only three stops and about 15 minutes, then maybe a 15 to 20 minute walk to the tender pier. The route is uphill going/downhill returning including about 120 steps. Much of it is on a dirt path. Not sure if it is lighted.

My advice, based on the massive crowds that have to be negotiated, would be to avoid doing this on your own. It takes quite a bit of time just to exit the area after the show.

Also, on our cruise last week Princess had indicated a last tender time for on-your-own passengers that would have made it impossible. However, I doubt that they enforced this as I believe the tenders had to run past midnight to accomodate all of the return excursion passengers.

If anyone has actually done this on their own and found it easy, I stand corrected.

Have fun!

We went to the Tattoo last Monday. While we book most of tours through independent operators, we took the ship's excursion because I thought the risk of missing the ship was too great. Glad we did. Clearing the Royal Mile area took a long time. You perhaps can make the last train, but I wouldn't count on it. I saw only one taxi, with a fare already, and I imagine there were lots of people looking for one.

By the way, the seating is very cramped. If I were taller than 6-1, weighed more than 225 or had artifical joints, I wouldn't go. This seating is the tightest I've seen. Having said that, this is a terrific event and worth the obscene price HAL charges for their tickets.

We went to the Tattoo last Monday. While we book most of tours through independent operators, we took the ship's excursion because I thought the risk of missing the ship was too great. Glad we did. Clearing the Royal Mile area took a long time. You perhaps can make the last train, but I wouldn't count on it. I saw only one taxi, with a fare already, and I imagine there were lots of people looking for one.

By the way, the seating is very cramped. If I were taller than 6-1, weighed more than 225 or had artifical joints, I wouldn't go. This seating is the tightest I've seen. Having said that, this is a terrific event and worth the obscene price HAL charges for their tickets.

What was the ship's price?

What was the ship's price?

We were there a little over a week ago. Are you sitting down -- we paid $318 for two on the Princess excursion. There was an economy option as well as an upgraded option. I cannot I cannot recall the price for those. The Tatto excursions were sold out. There were something like 900 to 1,000 Princess passengers at the Tattoo.

The coach actually left early and gave us a driving tour of Edinburgh. We had been there already earlier in the day but it was still nice. From where the coaches park, there is a walk with several turns.

As others have said, the crowds are massive. The seats are the tightest I have encountered since going to my son's third grade classroom. I am 6'-4" and lucked out with an aisle seat. I am not sure what I would have done otherwise. Total attendance is about 9,000. Does not sound like many compared to a baseball or football game, but all 9,000 have to squeeze down a single street to exit. This is the most densely packed crowd I have ever experienced. Not a problem, but slow going. Princess did a great job getting folks back to the buses after the show was over. There was a cordon of people with Princess signs to make sure you didn't get lost.

I would not recommend trying to do this on your own.

We went to the Tattoo last monday on our own. The Tattoo tickets were 31 pounds each. There were 4 of us we hired a car to bring us into Edinburgh at 11am, he showed us where he would pick us up after the show then dropped us off at Holyrood Palace. The car was 100 pounds. We had the best day going thru Holyrood and making our way up the Royal Mile. We beat the busses back to the ship. They had a nice buffet waiting!

Thanks for the information about the prices.

On the August 16,2011 cruise, I think will be going to the Tattoo from Glasgow since we dock at 7am and leave at 2am the next day which they say is about 2-2 1/2 hours away from Edinburgh. We will taking the Princess tour.

Archived