Megatrain - London to Southampton. Anyone use it?

zuggie

Has anyone used the Megatrain London to Southampton?

What was your experience? Any tips for Megatrain travelers?

We're crusing in September, and heard about the Megatrain. Found the site on the internet and purchased our tickets for just 1 pound each. What a deal!

I have never actually used it myself, but have put loads of other people on to it and when we meet up on the ship the general concensus is 'what an unbelievable deal!'. The normal fare is around £30. I put 4 US pax on to it for our TA last year and they said it was brilliant. They even spoke to a lady who had been going to Southampton on the train for years. One of the guys said to her 'this £1 deal is great isn't it' and she had never heard of it. She got the hump when she found she had been spending all that extra money for years! Megatrain 'hire' a carriage on the normal train. Just look for the megatrain sign in the window, like this.

2528361185_9811f86835.jpg

The sign is in the window above SOUTH WEST. Don't worry if the sign is not there (sometimes they forget!), just get on the train with your printed out 'ticket'...you will be fine.

Simon

Question about using megatrain:

I am trying to find train tickets for 2 adults for aug. 19 going from Waterloo to Southampton between 11 am and 12 noon. I can only see the ones for 30some pounds. Does this mean the cheaper tickets are all sold out? Our cruise was originally scheduled to leave from Tilbury but was just changed recently to Southampton. If the tickets are all sold out, can we just buy our tickets when we get to the station? I have never bought a train ticket in my life so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

Pearl

Question about using megatrain:

I am trying to find train tickets for 2 adults for aug. 19 going from Waterloo to Southampton between 11 am and 12 noon. I can only see the ones for 30some pounds. Does this mean the cheaper tickets are all sold out? Our cruise was originally scheduled to leave from Tilbury but was just changed recently to Southampton. If the tickets are all sold out, can we just buy our tickets when we get to the station? I have never bought a train ticket in my life so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

Pearl

Go to http://uk.megabus.com (which is the train site as well)

I see seats for 4 GBP/ea for the 11:39

Thanks for all the good information. And since reiding the trains in Europe is new to us also, I have another England train question.

Our Megatrain tickets are for the 12:39 the day before our cruise. We'll be arriving from Paris (via Chunnel), and have already figured out that we need to take a taxi from St. Pancreas to Waterloo. But, let's say we're running early - could we just jump on the 11:39 and be OK? Would they throw us off the train? Maybe plead "dumb tourist" that doesn't know any better?

But, let's say we're running early - could we just jump on the 11:39 and be OK? Would they throw us off the train? Maybe plead "dumb tourist" that doesn't know any better?

Don't think so, South West Trains are very hot on 'revenue protection' at the moment and being quite strict about tickets. I doubt you would get passed the ticket barrier at Waterloo with a ticket for a later train. If you do get on the train then the guard will either turn a blind eye or charge you for a full price single. Revenue Protection Officers will probably charge you a full single.

Our Megatrain tickets are for the 12:39 the day before our cruise. We'll be arriving from Paris (via Chunnel), and have already figured out that we need to take a taxi from St. Pancreas to Waterloo. But, let's say we're running early - could we just jump on the 11:39 and be OK?
The whole point about Megatrain tickets is that they are cheap because they are inflexible and usually only sold for the slow trains. So this is definitely against the rules and I think you'd be at risk of having to pay a penalty fare.

These disadvantages of Megatrain tickets are two of the three main reasons why I have never used them for London-Southampton trips.

We used the megatrain 11:39 train in 2007 on a Monday to catch our cruise out of Southampton. It worked brilliantly. At that time I could not use my American credit card so I had my English friends book it for me on their card. Since then megatrain has begun accepting American credit cards. As Globaliser says (he and sddsddean are brilliant travel helpers, thank you, to both of you) it is a slow train that probably made 11 or 12 local stops, still it was pleasant, clean comfortable and we arrived by 1pm, spent 5 GBP on a cab to take us the 1/2 mile or so. Funny the cab can cost more for a short trip than the megatrain. They don't seem to offer the fares on the weekends and the last time I checked the fares are available from 45 days out. I would not hesitate to book the megatrain again.

jc

• 3 years later...

There's a huge difference in price between pre-purchased Megatrain tickets and regular tickets. Full fare is about £36, Megatrain tix are anywhere between £4 and £15 depending on how far out you book, and the time of your chosen train. (I think the £1 tix are now only for trains at about 6am :eek:).

There are limitations with Megatrain bookings:

- Must be pre-paid.

- Although there are 3 or 4 trains per hour from London Waterloo to Southampton, Megatrain tix are available only on about 8 or 10 of those trains each day. But there'll be 2 or 3 that fit a cruiser's timetable.

- the available trains on this route are all "stopping" trains. Because of the extra stops the jounney takes about 1hr 40 rather than the faster trains' 1hr 20. But it's a very small sacrifice.

- You choose a specific train time when you book, & your tix are only good for that train - no amendments. So if you miss that train or your plans change you'll have to throw away those tix & buy full-price tix at the station. But it's a small risk, & if it happens you'll not be throwing away much money.

- There are no Megatrain tix on sundays.

- There are no Megatrain tix from Southampton to London Waterloo before about 1pm. So rarely suitable for post-cruise travel.

- On some days, usually associated with popular events in the Southampton area, there are no megatrain tix available at all.

- in theory at least, Megatrain ticket-holders have to use specific carriages on the train. These are exactly the same as the other carriages, but those carriages are identified with Megatrain stickers - if they bother to put them on. As I said, it's more theory than practice. ;)

Megatrain & megabus tickets are available on various other routes, with broadly the same limitations.

Megatrain/Megabus is operated by a consortium of large reputable travel operators, including South West Trains who operate this route. The objective is to sell more seats on under-subscribed journeys.

So for instance because the morning train route from Southampton to London is very busy with commuters & business people travelling to London for the day, they have no need to sell cheap tix. Hence no megatrain tix Southampton to London before 1pm, and no "cheap day-returns" on that route before 9am.

An excellent deal for those able to take advantage.

Regular train information & bookings at

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

(the minor savings by pre-purchasing rather than buying at the station are hardly worth the commitment)

Megatrain information & bookings at

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

(no megabus route between London & Southampton)

JB :)

• 10 months later...

I've just booked a megatrain trip London Waterloo to Southampton for my cruise the following day. Ticket cost was £4 each for the 1139 train and arrives at 1315. This is convenient and cheap option cos can't check into hotel in Southampton till 2pm anyway.:)

- On some days, usually associated with popular events in the Southampton area, there are no megatrain tix available at all.

As an example, The Southampton Boat Show is on between Friday 11th September, to Sunday 20th. highly unlikely that megatrain tickets will be available during that period.

I've just booked with Megatrain to travel from London to Southampton to commence our cruise. I got our tickets for a pound each departing London at 09:39 an arriving at 11:12 in Southampton. I am from Australia so it was easy to get online at midnight UK time. Within 30 minutes the price had gone up but was was still around 30 pounds each cheaper than the regular ticket. Definitely worth a try if you can get the tickets for next to nothing :D

I to have booked my tickets from London to Southampton. I got on early again cos I am in OZ it was easy to get on in my morning time. I got the 1139 train @£4 each. Although not the £1 that you got I am still happy cos it saved me heaps anyway.

Thanks for putting me onto megatrain (TAZKAZ). Now all I have to do is book my return ticket when they come out.:)

My pleasure alilenny :) You still got an absolute bargain for £4 each! I believe the normal price is £38 each. Hubby and I have saved a total of $150 aussie dollars all up so we're thrilled and you've saved not far off that amount too :D

Buy the cheapest available regular train ticket for the train you wish to take :)

Either that (about £40 per person, no need to pre-book, 2 or more direct trains per hour) or ..........

book on a National Express bus at about £8 per person.

Buses leave from London Victoria coach station, slower at just over 2 hrs & much less frequent but there are several which would suit your timing - I'd suggest the latest one you should book is 11.30am (gets to Southampton 1.40pm).

Book to Southampton coach station, then its a short taxi hop to your ship.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Other alternatives include

- ship's transfer. Also from London Victoria coach station or a nearby hotel but much more expensive. Depending on which cruise line the cost is $59 to $100 pp.

- the privately-operated cruise tour-transfer from your central London hotel to the ship via a visit to Stonehenge at about £80 pp incl Stonehenge admission. http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/white/londontk/southampton-cruise-bus-from-150-central-london-hotels-via-stonehenge.html

- a private transfer at about £130 the vehicle. Try http://www.smithsforairports.com or http://www.westquaycars.com or http://www.aquacars.co.uk or dozens of others.

- check your RollCall to see if anyone has booked a van & is looking for sharers. Since you've just arrived on Cruise Critic, if you don't know where to find your RollCall just post your ship & embarkation date & we'll post a link.

BTW - for your post-cruise there's a direct train service from Southampton to Bristol, no need to go via London

Edited by John Bull