Should I even pack a book to read for the cruise?

oceanfun77

What do you like to do on sea days. IMHO Alaska is no different then any other cruise I've taken in terms of activity load at sea or in port.

Should I even pack a book to read for the cruise? Or will I likely not have time for it?

I took several books on our 14 day cruise to Alaska. Besides reading a little on the plane and in the airport I did not read at all on the ship. There was too much to do/see. We enjoyed walking the deck and watching for whales with our binoculars. I was surprised how many books the ships libraries have if you want to check out one of there books.

many library systems have downloadable ebooks that you can listen to on an ipod or zen nano or any mp3 or wma system.

our state system

http://listenalaska.lib.overdrive.com/14861FF3-BE71-4D36-9827-BA425A50EDE6/10/413/en/Default.htm

allows checking out upto 10 books and they will all fit on my 1 gig zen nano. i now walk to work, paint the house, do the dishes, fly on the plane, while "reading".

but be prepared, when listening to something really enjoyable you may start laughing and everyone around you will want to know "what? what? what?"

the lovely mrs b-d thinks i'm listening to italian language tapes but i'm listening to trashy murder mysteries............

I brought my Kindle with me and while I did not do that much reading during our landtour or the subsequent cruise, it did, as others have mentioned, come in quite handy during our flights before and after our trip. It also takes up a lot less space than a bunch of paperbacks.:)

I brought my Kindle with me and while I did not do that much reading during our landtour or the subsequent cruise, it did, as others have mentioned, come in quite handy during our flights before and after our trip. It also takes up a lot less space than a bunch of paperbacks.:)

I take my iPad now and one paperback to read at the pool. But it should also be mentioned that ships have libraries. I am doing Alaska on HAL and I actually look forward to finding something in their library. Other than the QM2, Holland America has the best stocked libraries I have found on ships. They have a New York Times best sellers section and the rest of their selection of books are very current and extensive.

In Alaska, there's so much to see almost the whole time you are at sea that you won't find time to do much beside watching the spectacular scenery and looking for wildlife. There are as few times when the ship will be too far out to sea to see land. This would be especially true if you are sailing out of Seattle. You may find time then to read. I don't think the pool gets much use on Alaska itineraries. So I'd say bring a book. If you need more there is the ship's library.

In Alaska, there's so much to see almost the whole time you are at sea that you won't find time to do much beside watching the spectacular scenery and looking for wildlife. There are as few times when the ship will be too far out to sea to see land. This would be especially true if you are sailing out of Seattle. You may find time then to read. I don't think the pool gets much use on Alaska itineraries. So I'd say bring a book. If you need more there is the ship's library.

Some ships have covered pools. So some pool time is possible even on an Alaska cruise.

I read much of the day on one of our sea days going to/from Alaska. We found a great spot in the Spinnaker Lounge near a window. My husband got caught up on computer magazines for work and I enjoyed a paperback. We took breaks now and then to look outside, but loved the peace and quiet. We have two young kids so we rarely get quiet reading time, so it was a real treat for both of us. We didn't feel obligated to participate in every activity on board. If you want time to read, it's easy to make the time.

I did some reading in my cabin, but mostly on deck when we were sailing (and of course, on the flights). I always try to buy books by local authors when I travel, there are always bookstores around, and usually a good selection in the ship's store as well as the ship's library. I buy whatever looks interesting, though I do like a good mystery (Sue Henry, Dana Stabenow).

When you are cruising the inside passage you might like The Curve of Time by M. Wylie Blanchet. It's a lovely story and really brings that area alive. I found it in a bookstore on the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria and have read it several times.

Have a wonderful trip

It's just a habit of mine - I always have a paperback book with me! Long waits at the Dr or Dentist, plane flights (don't always like the inflight movie), delays at the airport....I also like to read a bit before bed - it helps me unwind and relax:). I usually stash it in my carryon. Even on weekend or just overnight car trips I pack a tote with a book or a couple magazines that I haven't had time to read yet, along with some munchies.

Like bottom-dragger I have switched over to audiobooks for the most part. I have a long commute to work, and greatly enjoy "reading" during the drive.

I have already loaded up my Sansa Clip with several titles for the plane, and for listening during visits to the Solarium on board. Also put several movies on my netbook for the flight.

We managed to get back on the ship each port day about 1 hour or so before sailing. Loved sitting on my balcony watching the float planes take off and land while reading my book. The previous poster who suggested a good read by the solarium was also giving good advice. That is a great place to read if your ship has a covered pool. And it's okay to make time to read. It's your vacation. . .

Archived