Southwest Air is Open to March 11

Southwest Air has opened reservations through March 11th for all of us mid-winter cruisers. Prices aren't bad either - $93 (plus tax) Boston to Ft. Lauderdale on a non-stop. I jumped right on that and we'll book our return whenever they come out. :D

Thanks. Unfortunately, this didn't help me. I waited to book my northeast to Texas flights, expecting SWA to beat the other prices. When I logged on this morning at 8AM, there were NO affordable flights available. Ended up booking on Delta, spending about $100 more than anticipated. I'd have saved more booking the Delta flights a month or two ago. However, in comparing other dates, I believed Southwest would come through with cheaper flights.

Oh well...glad you had success with your Florida flights.

Southwest Air has opened reservations through March 11th for all of us mid-winter cruisers. Prices aren't bad either - $93 (plus tax) Boston to Ft. Lauderdale on a non-stop. I jumped right on that and we'll book our return whenever they come out. :D

I got the same price from PVD to FLL today. I rarely book this far out but that was hard to pass up. I am still looking at two different cruises. But I can always transfer the funds to different flights if I end up booking the cruise for the other week that I am considering.

For whatever reason, they didn't want to compete out west. Continental beat Southwest thoroughly for KC to LAX fares in January.

I clicked on your link about what you like to do. That is really cool. I have had trains since I was a kid. Thaniks for posting that.

I was so excited when the new schedule was available, but by the time I got around to booking when I got home from work, many of the flights for 2/18 & 2/19 PVD to Tampa (start of our Feb. school break week) were sold out, and those remaining were ridiculously high. None of the other airlines for the same dates were much better, so I went ahead to book Southwest. The price I was booking at went up by $100 before I got to the end of the booking process.:eek: Can't wait for the day when we can vacation at off-peak times of the year.:rolleyes:

I was so excited when the new schedule was available, but by the time I got around to booking when I got home from work, many of the flights for 2/18 & 2/19 PVD to Tampa (start of our Feb. school break week) were sold out, and those remaining were ridiculously high. None of the other airlines for the same dates were much better, so I went ahead to book Southwest. The price I was booking at went up by $100 before I got to the end of the booking process.:eek: Can't wait for the day when we can vacation at off-peak times of the year.:rolleyes:

That was my problem as well. Don't feel bad - I logged on at 8AM and found all the low cost tickets sold out.

We're cruising that same week, President's Day week in February. We ended up booking a cruise out of Galveston, even though we live in the northeast. Because that week is NOT a school holiday week for the southwest states, the cruise fares out of Texas were not hiked up in response to school break demand. We were able to book a 7 day from Texas for only $100/pp more than a 5 day from Tampa. I was pricing out the flights based on Columbus Day week, thinking it would be about the same, but it ended up being a lot more. It would have been $1,200 for two tickets to Texas on SWA. We ended up paying $800 on Delta. I was anticipating about $600, so I was disappointed, but at least it's done. I booked through an on-line agency that will give me a refund if the prices drop, so I'm covered.

I would keep checking back to see if lower fares open up. Last year when I was planning flights to FLL form PVD there were some very good low fares that came up well after the schedule had opened. Granted I don't travel during peak weeks but the same thing may happen for you. Even though the fares you paid are probably non-refundable you wouldl be able to get a credit for the price difference if there is a drop.

That was my problem as well. Don't feel bad - I logged on at 8AM and found all the low cost tickets sold out.

We're cruising that same week, President's Day week in February. We ended up booking a cruise out of Galveston, even though we live in the northeast. Because that week is NOT a school holiday week for the southwest states, the cruise fares out of Texas were not hiked up in response to school break demand. We were able to book a 7 day from Texas for only $100/pp more than a 5 day from Tampa. I was pricing out the flights based on Columbus Day week, thinking it would be about the same, but it ended up being a lot more. It would have been $1,200 for two tickets to Texas on SWA. We ended up paying $800 on Delta. I was anticipating about $600, so I was disappointed, but at least it's done. I booked through an on-line agency that will give me a refund if the prices drop, so I'm covered.

Good researching.:). We wanted to keep the cruise down to 5 days as DH likes a few days to gear up for the return to school. This being our first RCCL cruise, we're excited about the Radiance - so excited, in fact, I wasn't thinking about the air rates during President's Week.

I got on at 7 AM for flights from PHL to FLL for our Presidents' Week cruise as well. Prices out of Newark on Continental and Jetblue have been well over $600/pp. I had originally hoped for about $300/pp (this was months ago when I started planning), so spending double was not going to happen.

I found flights out of Philly for about $340/pp all included. Definitely in my ballpark so I took them. Considering I'm saving over $300/pp, it's worth my while to drive down there. And no bag fees so that's a plus.

I'm still watching an earlier non stop flight down (we're on the 7:05 PM flight now) and hope that it will drop closer to what I paid for mine so we can get out a bit earlier in the day. Given my other options, this was definitely decent. But everything is so much higher than last year.

I would keep checking back to see if lower fares open up. Last year when I was planning flights to FLL form PVD there were some very good low fares that came up well after the schedule had opened. Granted I don't travel during peak weeks but the same thing may happen for you. Even though the fares you paid are probably non-refundable you wouldl be able to get a credit for the price difference if there is a drop.

Thanks for your optimism.:) I will keep checking the rates, but I'm not too hopeful that the rate will be any lower, since the rates I booked were the cheap Internet rates, which are quickly disappearing. Actually, I feel a little better, because our return trip on 2/24 showed an increase this morning. So it could have been worse.:)

we booked & got the time we needed for our return flight from FLL :) around 3 pm--not taking chances with that port..

disappointed that we could not use my free voucher--first time we saw a Blackout on flights not related to holiday travel-- :confused: we'll use it another time but hope this is not a trend!!!

also used the Early booking feature so we don't have to hassle slow internet on board to get our return boarding passes

SWA must have gotten some good response to their initial offering as the pricing for the flight that I booked yesterday have sky rocketed this evening. I suspect that they will drop some time in the future.

Well, I was right! They are already back down to what I paid yesterday. And it happened fast enough for me to edit this post.

SWA must have gotten some good response to their initial offering as the pricing for the flight that I booked yesterday have sky rocketed this evening. I suspect that they will drop some time in the future.

Well, I was right! They are already back down to what I paid yesterday. And it happened fast enough for me to edit this post.

I just checked and our flight went from $93 to $249 - so glad I booked yesterday morning.:)

Archived