Shorts in dining room for women?

First of all, RCCL's prices have always been reasonable, so expense has nothing to do with formal attire. Secondly, as my DH said to me a few days ago: when you go to a restaurant where the staff where jackets and ties, there is linen on the tables, the silverware and dishes are nice and set up elegantly, and they feed you 4 -5 separate courses, you should dress appropriately.

It doesn't matter how many people there are: dress according to the eating venue. Red Lobster it ain't.

This comment from my husband was when I mentioned this thread. He was actually referring to the OP's question about his wife wearing shorts to dinner. But, the comment applies to formal nights, too.

I was refering more to the fact that the world is changing, and all of the complaining about it here will not change that fact. The easy fix is to get rid of those rules, and then there will be no more complaining about people who do not want to adhere to a dress code that a large segment of the population does not believe in. Just to be clear, I do dress based on the venue when I go out but I am sure there are people on the ship who eat every meal in shorts and feel that it is perfectly acceptable.

I was refering more to the fact that the world is changing, and all of the complaining about it here will not change that fact. The easy fix is to get rid of those rules, and then there will be no more complaining about people who do not want to adhere to a dress code that a large segment of the population does not believe in. Just to be clear, I do dress based on the venue when I go out but I am sure there are people on the ship who eat every meal in shorts and feel that it is perfectly acceptable.

You make a good point. It reminds me of the old Mercedes Benz commercial: Perception is reality. :D

OR....an even easier solution....Get rid of people who refuse to follow the rules. Ban them to the Windjammer.

I see the no shorts rule as pretty stupid. I for one also wish they would do away with the formal night. A night of elegance on a mass market cruise line? I bet if they make the cruises as expensive as they we in the past, there would be a reason to dress up. These days, not so much. Kinda like wearing a tux to Red Lobster.

I have yet to see a Red Lobster with chandeliers, waiters in tuxes (every night) white linen tableclothes and silverware and china ! The Windjammer is condusive to shorts - the MDR is not. BTW: What is wrong with elegance ? Seems that concept is lost on more and more people. I like to get elegant sometimes...... remember Prom, homecoming etc. in school....

It is NOT perfectly acceptable as the ship ASKS you to NOT wear them in the MDR. It is their ship and they can make the rules. That they choose to not enforce them in all circumstances is a shame..... that just reinforces the concept that "I can get away with it". One last note: I think that most people don't mind wearing something nicer than shorts to the main dining venue...... not the other way around.

I have yet to see a Red Lobster with chandeliers, waiters in tuxes (every night) white linen tableclothes and silverware and china ! The Windjammer is condusive to shorts - the MDR is not. BTW: What is wrong with elegance ? Seems that concept is lost on more and more people. I like to get elegant sometimes...... remember Prom, homecoming etc. in school....

It is NOT perfectly acceptable as the ship ASKS you to NOT wear them in the MDR. It is their ship and they can make the rules. That they choose to not enforce them in all circumstances is a shame..... that just reinforces the concept that "I can get away with it". One last note: I think that most people don't mind wearing something nicer than shorts to the main dining venue...... not the other way around.

easy with the RED! I never said anything was wrong with elegance. I also never said anything about people abiding with the ship's policy. I was speaking about the fact that the target demographic for the cruise line will include SOME people who have no desire for what you or I consider elegant and feel that the shorts are perfectly acceptable. If this were not the case THEN WHY WOULD WE HAVE SO MANY PEOPLE ASKING THE QUESTION? Sorry that was a little red revenge there, no harm. Lets keep it friendly, huh?

That they choose to not enforce them in all circumstances is a shame..... that just reinforces the concept that "I can get away with it".

Yup. And as long as they remain spineless, I will be happy to show my knees. And I won't be alone.

Try explaining to your son he has to wear pants, walk in, see shorts, and have to explain.

NOT.

I'm on the September 14 night cruise as well. From all the research I've been doing, I can't imagine the weather in Alaska being warm enough to wear shorts at all. I am packing a pair just in case the weather is unexpectedly warm, but not planning on needing them. Even, in San Francisco for the 2 days we are there, I have rarely worn shorts into the city during the day in the middle of the summer. As many posters have replied, shorts are permitted in the MDR for breakfast and dinner. Doubt we'll need them , though.

Yup. And as long as they remain spineless, I will be happy to show my knees. And I won't be alone.

Try explaining to your son he has to wear pants, walk in, see shorts, and have to explain.

NOT.

Yes and very simple, mama is paying for this trip and she expects you to look a certain way. What others wear is NO concern of ours. Really what's there to explain? Why do we continue to concern ourselves with what others wear and feel we need to provide kids with explanation for trips they are not paying for:confused:

Yes and very simple, mama is paying for this trip and she expects you to look a certain way. What others wear is NO concern of ours. Really what's there to explain? Why do we continue to concern ourselves with what others wear and feel we need to provide kids with explanation for trips they are not paying for:confused:

This is good to know that those of us in shorts will go unnoticed by our fellow passengers as well.

Thanks! :)

NOT.

Gee, my mom never had any problem explaning the concept to me. Whenever I would ask to do something and she said no, my retort was invariably "but Mom, everyone is doing it" and her answer was always the same "Well you're not! If everyone jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?". Just because everyone does something does not make it right. If your host asks you not to wear shorts then don't. It's only good manners. Explain THAT to your son:D.

Gee, my mom never had any problem explaning the concept to me. Whenever I would ask to do something and she said no, my retort was invariably "but Mom, everyone is doing it" and her answer was always the same "Well you're not! If everyone jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?". Just because everyone does something does not make it right. If your host asks you not to wear shorts then don't. It's only good manners. Explain THAT to your son:D.

Irrelevant. I will be the leader. Now knowing they will do nothing, cause they don't know what to do, others can join me, or not, but no one will notice me.

I have to say no to shorts and most casual clothes, that do not have a collar, but wait, I have some very expensive t-Shirt that are really made to wear in nice environments, dam it is hard to judge or make a firm fast rule that covers every thing. I will say shorts are easy, if they are above the knee, absolutely NO with a capitol NO, If you can afford to go on a cruise, you can afford a couple of nice pants or what every from Wally world ,Tj Max or Target or some other discount retailer.

This is good to know that those of us in shorts will go unnoticed by our fellow passengers as well.

Thanks! :)

No, no, no, not unnoticed, unconcerned. A nice set of legs could be like a fine work of art that deserve to be noitced and appreciated. If you have a fine set of abs please don't feel the need to cover them on my my count. Eye candy, not all desserts are served on plates:p;)

Nice legs and sexy abs, what time are you going to be in the dining room;)

No, no, no, not unnoticed, unconcerned. A nice set of legs could be like a fine work of art that deserve to be noitced and appreciated. If you have a fine set of abs please don't feel the need to cover them on my my count. Eye candy, not all desserts are served on plates:p;)

Nice legs and sexy abs, what time are you going to be in the dining room;)

LOL. I think I'm blushing.....:o

Irrelevant. I will be the leader. Now knowing they will do nothing, cause they don't know what to do, others can join me, or not, but no one will notice me.

Irrelevant?

"having no bearing on or connection with the subject at issue; "an irrelevant comment"; "irrelevant allegations"

No, my reply was certainly relevant to your comment on explaining other's non-compliance. If you wish to be the leader of the shorts-in-the-dining room protest so be it. But at least recognize that you are going against your host's wishes. Then do what you wish. After all it's your cruise and you paid good money for it:rolleyes:.

Irrelevant?

"having no bearing on or connection with the subject at issue; "an irrelevant comment"; "irrelevant allegations"

No, my reply was certainly relevant to your comment on explaining other's non-compliance. If you wish to be the leader of the shorts-in-the-dining room protest so be it. But at least recognize that you are going against your host's wishes. Then do what you wish. After all it's your cruise and you paid good money for it:rolleyes:.

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone paying for a service or product is being hosted. Any wish is something we all know may not come true. I have a wish list a mile long, with very little expectation most will come true. Maybe this is the case with the cruise line if not wearing shorts is a mere wish.

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone paying for a service or product is being hosted. Any wish is something we all know may not come true. I have a wish list a mile long, with very little expectation most will come true. Maybe this is the case with the cruise line if not wearing shorts is a mere wish.

Actually, hosting an event has no impact on who's paying for the event.

1. One who receives or entertains guests in a social or official capacity.

2. A person who manages an inn or hotel.

3. One that furnishes facilities and resources for a function or event: the city chosen as host for the Olympic Games.

4. The emcee or interviewer on a radio or television program.

5. Biology The animal or plant on which or in which another organism lives.

6. Medicine The recipient of a transplanted tissue or organ.

7. Computer Science A computer containing data or programs that another computer

See definition #2. And yes, a host's wish is just that, a wish which you may choose to grant or not. My point is that one shows poor manners when one disregards the wishes of one's host. At least that's what I was taught. Yeah, I'm old school and yeah, I'm a dinosaur but what is right is right and when your host says no shorts in the dining room at dinner then I will abide. If others choose not to abide, then that is their choice but it will never be appropriate or acceptable.

Shorts are fine at breakfast and lunch in the MDR..No shorts or tank tops in MDR at DINNER. Almst everyone in the MDR at breakfast and lunch have on shorts...men and women alike.

Tank tops are allowed in the MDR for women, but men I know have been asked to change even at lunch. Shorts are a no for both genders at dinner, but RCCL does not do very good job of enforcing the rule, suggestion, dress code, whatever.

Well put Rala. I have seen shorts on both men and women in the MDR at dinner on a non-formal night. It was particularly prominent on the AOS that sailed out of San Juan. Maybe it was a case of when in Rome do as the Romans do. I have heard that the Galveston ships had to loosen up and allow jeans in the MDR on non-formal nights since so many were wearing them.

ITA - and I seriously wonder whether some of these clods who feel it's perfectly fine to be disrespectful to their host and fellow guests by ignoring dress restrictions would show up in shorts at a fancy dinner party hosted by their boss. They think it's fine to dress however they want because other diners don't say anything to them - well, that's only because most of us have to much class to comment.

NOT.

Why would you have to explain anything?

If you son understands how to dress for dinner why would you need to explain that there are some people in this world that think rules..suggestions or common courtesy doesn't apply to them?

I'm betting your son would need no explanation to realize that there are just some people who think they are entitled..no matter what.:)

The better person knows that they may be able to get away with something and yet chooses to do the right thing.;)

Archived